• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
two things from last night:

going from 900/30 SDR on a plasma, to 2160/60 HDR on an oled, with Destiny 2 was frightening!

and people don't sleep on Forza 7. i know one is closed circuit and one is open world, but F7's detail is much better than FH4's (and FH4 looks incredible)

Wait Destiny 2 is 60fps now? I thought the next gen patch was next month.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think the Series X may well be the quietest console ever designed? Granted mine is behind the TV, but besides when it's reading off a disk, I literally don't hear it.

Also, I find the controller more comfortable than my Elite 1. Though it's not as heavy, nor does it have as premium materials, it's actually still better built in that it has no creaks whatsoever, whilst the Elite 1 has quite a number. Just a shame the buttons are so loud and clickety clackety, because otherwise the controller is supremely comfortable and ergonomic.

One negative, I have had a number of crashes and issues with the Series X, but they've been very few and far between, usually the issues arise after one too many suspend resumes.

The biggest issue I've had happen twice, was on restart it would simply no longer load Yakuza anymore. No matter how many times I quit and re-started the game, it'd just stay on the gold coloured loading screen indefinitely.

I tried turning off the system via the UI, and it just crashed and froze at the main UI and wouldn't turn off.

Both times I had to hold the power button on the system itself to get it to turn off and start up properly to load the game. But as mentioned, luckily this particular issue has only happened twice in several hours of gameplay.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Remote Play is really flaky for me. Sometimes it connects, sometimes it doesn't. When it does it'll sometimes drop the connection. If it holds the connection then it'd not really stable enough to not be stuttering and showing artifacts.

Tried streaming to two different devices, sat about 5-6ft from the console.
This was my experience on One X, it was literally unplayable, I expected the same on Series X but it works great for some reason. Same Wi-Fi and iPad/iPhone. I played about 2 hours this morning, microstutters but otherwise great. As a parent who has to hide modern games because nothing is suitable for kids this is like a gift from the heaven, the console is incredibly silent too so it doesn't bother anyone that it's powered on in the living room.👌

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Cross-save between PC and Xbox for FFXV has made me really want to get back into it, love features like that

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
So is there no way to download an Xbox one version of a game that has free Series enhancements? Even if I try to default to external it says it won't be able to be played via external.

I'm guessing no? I'd love to be wrong, though. My internal SSD is basically full, and I only have 13 games on it. The unexpected (for me) Series X enhancements for Avengers and Modern Warfare are the main culprits.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
People should really retry ryse on auto HDR. It's mind blowing good, too Bad there IS no upscaling. This made me think i should try quantum break with auto HDR.

People played kingdom Heart 3 ? The quality mode look worse than the fluidity mode lol

Broman1978

Nov 11, 2017
Its so fun to see so many new players in both BFV and Gears 5 multiplayer thanks to Gamepass/EA play with the launch of SeriesX/S☺️

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Shit, Remote Play works so well. Like the latency is only a the slightest bit behind my LG OLED which already has super low latency. But unfortunately not every game works with it.

Hoodie Season

Jun 17, 2020
Its so fun to see so many new players in both BFV and Gears 5 multiplayer thanks to Gamepass/EA play with the launch of SeriesX/S☺
That's good to hear. I played the original Gears on 360 on Xbox Live everyday until 3-4am way back in the day. I think I played a little of Gears 2, but Gears 5 will be my first Gears in quite some time. Good to know there's a bunch of people playing it. Well see if I get sucked into the multiplayer like I did way back when.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I changed the batteries on my controller (I cycle through rechargeable ones) and the controller lost all connectivity to the console. I tried everything but only a full shutdown fixed it. Is there a reason for this or some way I can avoid it? The whole reason I went the rechargeable battery route was so I could quickly switch batteries and be in the game with full charge in like 5 seconds.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
I changed the batteries on my controller (I cycle through rechargeable ones) and the controller lost all connectivity to the console. I tried everything but only a full shutdown fixed it. Is there a reason for this or some way I can avoid it? The whole reason I went the rechargeable battery route was so I could quickly switch batteries and be in the game with full charge in like 5 seconds.
Thats weird, I changed batteries today while playing gears 5 and the controller connected fine afterward.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if it was in this thread or somewhere else I saw a post lamenting that they removed "Xbox One X Enhanced Games" grouping when using a Series X in the Games and Apps list. That's now back in the latest preview update of the dash, you have X|S optimised, One X enhanced, Xbox One, Xbox 360/OG groupings. 🎉

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
That's good to hear. I played the original Gears on 360 on Xbox Live everyday until 3-4am way back in the day. I think I played a little of Gears 2, but Gears 5 will be my first Gears in quite some time. Good to know there's a bunch of people playing it. Well see if I get sucked into the multiplayer like I did way back when.
On November 17 there is a new season launching that adds 7 characters and 5 maps, too.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Its pretty much just Xbox button ,home and do something else. (i.e power down, load new game etc) Unless you menu button and force quit, it will stay open. Remember not all games have quick resume, so there will be some trial and error. Also MS did take it down at launch, so things might still be a bit buggy.
wow, that is simple, even I can remeber that. cheers!

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Thats weird, I changed batteries today while playing gears 5 and the controller connected fine afterward.

Oddly it was gears 5 I was playing as well. I got the prompt "please reconnect your controller, press A" but the controller wouldn't do anything. Did you turn your controller off first? I wonder if not doing that caused the issue.

krpiper

Oct 28, 2017
Iknow they are different and may of been discussed eariler but would you grab this or Watchdogs Legion? Running on a series x.

The side quests being more like BOTW/Witcher 3 is appealing for Valhalla. But I would like a game I can really sink my teeth into for the next gen and yet show off my black pillar in the living room. I played origins and really liked it and only dabbled in Odyssey a little bit.

However watchdogs will look good with the RTX but Valhalla runs better?.

Any thoughts

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Not sure if it was in this thread or somewhere else I saw a post lamenting that they removed "Xbox One X Enhanced Games" grouping when using a Series X in the Games and Apps list. That's now back in the latest preview update of the dash, you have X|S optimised, One X enhanced, Xbox One, Xbox 360/OG groupings. 🎉
Twas me! A great update. Just making things a bit easier to see what to play next.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
I'm guessing no? I'd love to be wrong, though. My internal SSD is basically full, and I only have 13 games on it. The unexpected (for me) Series X enhancements for Avengers and Modern Warfare are the main culprits.
Some enhanced games still work on USB external storage, there's a good chance Modern Warfare does as I know War Zone happily plays from my USB SSD.
not sure about Avengers but it might do, if you check the file info you can see what SDK it uses, any targeting Durango can be played from USB

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Red Faction runs really nice on Series X. Locked 60 no matter how much you blow up. Sadly high res mode is locked to 30fps.

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
Its so fun to see so many new players in both BFV and Gears 5 multiplayer thanks to Gamepass/EA play with the launch of SeriesX/S☺
Yes bfv has been my favorite game of the generation and I was playing on ea play before official release a couple of years ago. The numbers have dwindled but player count is way up now. And it runs so well on the x it's like a new game. Simply fantastic and I can't wait to play today. I'm over 400 hours now. It's the only game I have ever bought on Xbox, ps, and pc.

Last edited:

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Which Geometry Wars is the best one and has the best HDR?

Also what are the best Xbox originals to buy? Thinking SSX3, PDO, Conker's Bad Fur Day.

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
I'm in love ❤

It's morning, kids are up watching TV, I'm in bed remote playing Assassin's Creed Valhalla from Series X.

FtKPbBC.jpg

VV9jHHM.jpg

am0gQDy.jpg
How do you use the remote play ?

Oct 27, 2017
Still cannot believe how good this D-pad is. Knocked it out of the park.
Each to their own and all, but I find the D-Pad on the new controller to be dreadful and I've reverted back to an Xbox One controller as a result.
How do I get the series x to turn my tv on and off like the one x did? Driving me crazy.
Go into Settings -> TV and Display -> Device Control.

Turn on HDMI-CEC and then tick the first two boxes on the right.

Hope that helps :)

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
The Gears Tactics port is superb. Looks great, and the improved joypad controls have removed the clunkiness I felt on the old pc version.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
two things from last night:

going from 900/30 SDR on a plasma, to 2160/60 HDR on an oled, with Destiny 2 was frightening!

and people don't sleep on Forza 7. i know one is closed circuit and one is open world, but F7's detail is much better than FH4's (and FH4 looks incredible)
Wait Destiny 2 is 60fps now? I thought the next gen patch was next month.
Destiny 2 will be 60 on December 10th. It's still the 30fps One X version through BC right now.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
My Elite controller doesn't seem to be turning on my Xbox. Any ideas? I have to press the button on the front to turn it on.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
Is anyone else getting a Strict Nat type and can't get it off. I've tried restarting both my router and series x and no dice. I tried alternate Port and no dice. Does it have to do with live being boned at the moment?

I had the Double Nat issue pop up a couple of weeks ago on my 1X and had to activate bridge mode on my router to get rid of it. Got my SX and it had the same issue, despite the previous activation, so I toggled bridge mode on & off, and it now has open NAT.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
Nice to see Yakuza: Like a Dragon has been added to quick resume, although just after I closed the game forgetting I was in a dungeon and lost about half an hour of progress!

It's pretty much the first game I've played that has quick resume enabled (Gears 5, Forza Horizon 4, Forza 7 and Watch Dogs: Legion not working with it for me so far)

Gwyn

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone else getting a Strict Nat type and can't get it off. I've tried restarting both my router and series x and no dice. I tried alternate Port and no dice. Does it have to do with live being boned at the moment?

Same here but auto fixed after doing the "test NAT type" in network settings.

Broman1978

Nov 11, 2017
Yes bfv has been my favorite game of the generation and I was playing on ea play before official release a couple of years ago. The numbers have dwindled but player count is way up now. And it runs so well on the x it's like a new game. Simply fantastic and I can't wait to play today. I'm over 400 hours now. It's the only game I have ever bought on Xbox, ps, and pc.
Yeah it looks CRAZY good on Series X and not bad for such an "old " game! Supersharp, great textures (imo) and rocksolid 60fps 😁

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
Can someone explain how quick resume works to me? I've been hopping back and forth between Forza Horizon 4 and Skate 3, I threw gears 5 into the mix to try and show it off to my wife and now both Skate 3 and Gears 5 want to launch from cold again?

If it's going to be ditching games as you add more it really needs to tell you, I could see myself losing a lot of progress this way or just not using the feature which is a shame

dabbling

Dec 3, 2018
As a newcomer to gamepass:

How long do games tend to stay on there?

When something is "leaving soon", how long do I have to play it?

If I download a game and it leaves gamepass, I assume I can no longer play it?

I have several games on my "play later" list and want to make sure I manage things right and don't miss out on them because they leave the service.

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country

I have several games on my "play later" list and want to make sure I manage things right and don't miss out on them because they leave the service.
1 - Games that are third party usually stay around a year.

2 - 15 days

3 - No, you cannot play it if it leaves Game Pass. You get a 20% discount if you buy a game that is on Game Pass, though.

Oct 27, 2017

I'm pretty new to it but I think games like RDR2 left after about a year. Obviously, first party games and presumably anything from the EA Play library will be there permanently.

They announce a game is leaving like a couple weeks beforehand. Apparently you get like a 20% discount if you decide to purchase it digitally though.

TK-421

Nov 30, 2017
Death Star
Another game to add to the "Holy shit!" list. The Division 2. Graphically its ONe X update, so nice and clean but I would love a 60fps update.

Unfortunately, Massive has said they're not going to update Division 2 (or 1) for next generation. Looks like the game is hitting end of life.

XSX and XSS does seem to have huge Wifi issues for some users...

Not gonna lie, I was a little disappointed they didn't go with WiFi 6 when the PS5 was able to get it in.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

1 - Games that are third party usually stay around a year.

2 - 15 days

3 - No, you cannot play it if it leaves Game Pass. You get a 20% discount if you buy a game that is on Game Pass, though.

For all games there is a minimum of 3 months a game needs to stay in gamepass. After that it all depends on what kind of deal they made.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I think the Series X may well be the quietest console ever designed? Granted mine is behind the TV, but besides when it's reading off a disk, I literally don't hear it.

Also, I find the controller more comfortable than my Elite 1. Though it's not as heavy, nor does it have as premium materials, it's actually still better built in that it has no creaks whatsoever, whilst the Elite 1 has quite a number. Just a shame the buttons are so loud and clickety clackety, because otherwise the controller is supremely comfortable and ergonomic.

One negative, I have had a number of crashes and issues with the Series X, but they've been very few and far between, usually the issues arise after one too many suspend resumes.

The biggest issue I've had happen twice, was on restart it would simply no longer load Yakuza anymore. No matter how many times I quit and re-started the game, it'd just stay on the gold coloured loading screen indefinitely.

I tried turning off the system via the UI, and it just crashed and froze at the main UI and wouldn't turn off.

Both times I had to hold the power button on the system itself to get it to turn off and start up properly to load the game. But as mentioned, luckily this particular issue has only happened twice in several hours of gameplay.

I think it's best to give Microsoft some time to update their system software for a more stable quick resume experience.

I personally didn't come across any problem with this features, but I'm also not the target market because aside from some quick tests on the first and second day of owning the Series X, I haven't used quick resume.

Jimbobsmells

Nov 17, 2017

Yeah I've had a few crashes (one of which happened literally just now). Also Quick Resume only seems to work with one game for me - dragon age inquisition!
hope they can patch this stuff soon.