• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Potato Mage

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 28, 2020
Sorry if there's a thread about this but I'm looking at add some USB3.1 external SSD cold storage to my Series X are there any recommendations on the easiest /cheapest route to go here? Or is it just a case of almost anything will do...

From what I've seen an adapter for a cheap SATA lll SSD seems like the best bang for your buck.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
I finished Halo CE, my first time ever playing a Halo campaign, on the Series X. The game holds up really well and is still a good game by todays standards. It must have been mindblowing when it came out. I think it's almost on the level of games like DOOM/Eternal and Titanfall 2 which is ridiculous for such an old game.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I finished Halo CE, my first time ever playing a Halo campaign, on the Series X. The game holds up really well and is still a good game by todays standards. It must have been mindblowing when it came out. I think it's almost on the level of games like DOOM/Eternal and Titanfall 2 which is ridiculous for such an old game.

I'm just playing that now too lol, as my first ever Xbox game.

It's pretty good. The music at times is so great. I've only finished 3/10 missions so far. Enjoying it.

Graphics are surprisingly good for such an old game.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Ori at 4K 120fps is bonkers. Just looks and feels impossibly fluid and responsive. Also, being able to A/B switch between that and 6K mode blew my mind - the super sampling makes the image unbelievably sharp. Didn't think I'd be able to tell a difference, but you definitely can!

Also, I love that this thing can actually take advantage of my internet download speeds. Felt like the XBO always lagged a bit on that even though I'm fortunate enough to have fiber.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
I'm just playing that now too lol, as my first ever Xbox game.

It's pretty good. The music at times is so great. I've only finished 3/10 missions so far. Enjoying it.

Graphics are surprisingly good for such an old game.
If the game came out today with AAA production values and good audiovisual feedback, it would still get a 90+ MC score. The only things that I really disliked were the interiors in some levels which are samey looking and cause disorientation. The sound mixing is also bad at times. The music is way too loud during some fights.

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Hello. How can I background download on my Series S? I can't make it work. I already have "Instant On" set, but when I turn off the console and on again the download is at the same percentage.

ZeroNoir_

Oct 25, 2017
was excited for fast resume on Fallen Jedi, but apparently not only does that not exist, but upon going back to the game it signed me out of EA Servers and made me reload the entire game from scratch. Lame.

I can confirm Jedi works with quick Resume.

Hello. How can I background download on my Series S? I can't make it work. I already have "Instant On" set, but when I turn off the console and on again the download is at the same percentage.

Standby Downloads are borked

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
How does quick resume work exactly?

If I switch from Forza Horizon it starts the game up again (that's fine since it's an online game, understandable). But then if I open settings or something that'll be in the list of 4 when you press the xbox button. If I download something that'll also be in the list of 4. So if I'm playing Ori and Switch to Jedi Order, but download 4 or 5 games overnight those two games will disappear from the list, are they still in quick resume mode and I just need to open them from the game browser instead?

I'm not entirely sure how this works.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
How are y'all getting rid of fingerprints on this thing? My microfiber cloth isn't doing anything somehow lol. What a fingerprint magnet! It's crazy cause it's matte, but it probably attacks fingerprints just as much as a piano black original PS3!

Abu05

Oct 27, 2017
Does any one have a x900e?? I can't figure out a way to put it in 1440p mode. Also can't get gears to work. Keeps crashing and it's on the internal

GlowingBovine

Prophet of Truth
Nov 27, 2017
Do you need to force it to do it or something? I quit to the home screen and it didn't add it, and I pressed start on the tile in case I needed to select it and it wasn't an option.
Should be automatic. But I'm also having trouble with quick resume, but it could just be Borderlands 3 at fault. When I resume it, it says my save data has changed and needs to restart. Not sure what that's about.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It finally started working. I can't remote play to series X yet? I don't see it on the app, only my current Xbox one s

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
My games aren't installing/downloading, I'm not even sure if my console is fully updated, says update pending, so strange

EternalDarko

Oct 26, 2017
How does quick resume work exactly?

If I switch from Forza Horizon it starts the game up again (that's fine since it's an online game, understandable). But then if I open settings or something that'll be in the list of 4 when you press the xbox button. If I download something that'll also be in the list of 4. So if I'm playing Ori and Switch to Jedi Order, but download 4 or 5 games overnight those two games will disappear from the list, are they still in quick resume mode and I just need to open them from the game browser instead?

I'm not entirely sure how this works.
This is my point (from a previous post in this thread) quick resume has nothing to do with that 4 recent games/apps in the quick menu... MS really needs to make it much easier for us to see which games are in a suspended state and so can be resumed, cos right now it's really damn unclear.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
I can't for the life of me get my controller to connect to the system. It just sits on the screen saying press and hold the Xbox button to turn on the controller. Controller keeps blinking and nothing registers. I've tried the WiFi buttons and connecting in usb. Nothing. What the hell??

UltraInstinct

Nov 19, 2017
Does any one have a x900e?? I can't figure out a way to put it in 1440p mode. Also can't get gears to work. Keeps crashing and it's on the internal

I have an XF900 which is a model above yours and I had a similar issue earlier. So it seems that the XSX doesn't recognize our sets at 1440p / 120Hz. The best you'll get is 1080p / 120Hz. Activating this a bit cumbersome too as you have to manually go into settings and change some parameters whenever you want to switch between 120 Hz and 4k60.

So go into settings, select video option. Go to 'video fidelity & overscan. Under 'display' select 'HDMI'. Back out of this menu and change the resolution to 1080p. You'll also get an option to change the refresh rate from here.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
Is the fan supposed to still be running when the console is off? Mines been off a couple of hours and I felt the fan blowing out cool air a monent ago.

I posted about this many many pages ago. Seems normal, as other users confirmed. I assume you have yours on "instant on" or whatever the fast boot option is called. I only noticed because I had to move an ethernet cord behind it.

UltraInstinct

Nov 19, 2017
So far, I've only tested 120Hz out on Ori and to be honest, I don't really notice a difference? I guess maybe it's very subtle but not sure. I'm guessing it also depends on the type of game? So perhaps Ori isn't really a big showcase for it? I've got Gears 5 on download so hopefully there's some improvement there.

Hummel003

Mar 23, 2020
I can't for the life of me get my controller to connect to the system. It just sits on the screen saying press and hold the Xbox button to turn on the controller. Controller keeps blinking and nothing registers. I've tried the WiFi buttons and connecting in usb. Nothing. What the hell??
it does not even work with the usb cable connected to it?

Deleted member 6562

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to reset the cache? I can't get Elder Scrolls Online to start. I played it fine last night, but today when I went to play I saw "quick resume" in the upper right for a second then it went back to the desktop. Now each time I try to start it I see the first screen, then it kicks me back to the desktop. I tried loading 5 other games, hoping it would clear the cache or something, but that didn't work. I also tried a hard reset, still no go. :( All the other games have worked fine.

Updated: I just got done moving it back to an external SSD (I had copied it to the internal) and it's working again. So hmm, not sure what to think.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
I am *THIS* close to pulling the trigger on upgrading from my tired KS8000 to a TCL Class 8 65' for my new Series X. It doesn't do 120hz, but Its $600 less than the OLED LG.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
So with my crappy internet and xbox servers getting hammered, I'm unlikely to be able to play Assasins creed at all tonight at this rate.

I'm safe going back to my One X right? Saves are uploaded to the cloud at every suspension and I can pick up tomorrow on my SX?

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018

I may just be repeating what you have already tried, but you're hitting the little sync button on the Xbox right? And then on the controller hitting the sync button at the top of the controller between the bumpers? I have also had issues with connections in the past when my batteries were running low, if you arent using the pack in ones.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ugh, why did the Series X have to release just as I was switching in-between jobs?!? Now I have almost no time to play it.

ZeroNoir_

Oct 25, 2017
So with my crappy internet and xbox servers getting hammered, I'm unlikely to be able to play Assasins creed at all tonight at this rate.

I'm safe going back to my One X right? Saves are uploaded to the cloud at every suspension and I can pick up tomorrow on my SX?
make sure to have every game closed while downloading. It's 300% faster for me

Is there a way to reset the cache? I can't get Elder Scrolls Online to start. I played it fine last night, but today when I went to play I saw "quick resume" in the upper right for a second then it went back to the desktop. Now each time I try to start it I see the first screen, then it kicks me back to the desktop. I tried loading 5 other games, hoping it would clear the cache or something, but that didn't work. I also tried a hard reset, still no go. :( All the other games have worked fine.

Updated: I just got done moving it back to an external SSD (I had copied it to the internal) and it's working again. So hmm, not sure what to think.

Press Start, and quit, maybe?

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know how I went without Xbox for a whole gen. The 360 was such a huge part of my middle/high school life. Series X feels like coming home.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
I may just be repeating what you have already tried, but you're hitting the little sync button on the Xbox right? And then on the controller hitting the sync button at the top of the controller between the bumpers? I have also had issues with connections in the past when my batteries were running low, if you arent using the pack in ones.

Correct. I press the button on the console... the light flashes for like 30 seconds. While it's doing that I press the button on the controller, it also flashes during this time. Nothing registers with one another. And my screen just reads "Press and Hold the Xbox button to turn on your controller"

Hummel003

Mar 23, 2020
Nope, it just keeps saying "hold Xbox button to turn on your controller" I do it and my controller light keeps flashing and nothing happens.

When I plug it in via USB the controller vibrates but nothing happens. No buttons make anything happen.
Do you have an xbox one? Try connecting it to that or connect it to your pc. Are the batteries in it? (duh). Did you hit the sync buttons?

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
Correct. I press the button on the console... the light flashes for like 30 seconds. While it's doing that I press the button on the controller, it also flashes during this time. Nothing registers with one another. And my screen just reads "Press and Hold the Xbox button to turn on your controller"
Hmm. That is odd. My controller was paired right out of the box.
Have you tried turning off the Xbox, unplugging the power cord, then power cycling the console by holding the power button in for about 10 seconds, then re-plugging in the power?

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have an xbox one? Try connecting it to that or connect it to your pc. Are the batteries in it? (duh). Did you hit the sync buttons?

I pulled out my old system. Only way I could get it to work was with my old controller. Once I got it on the Series X controller started responding. Very weird. Took me 30 minutes to get fixed. Fucking annoying.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know if EA play is available for Ultimate Game Pass subscribers on PC? The xbox app doesn't show any of the games.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing Valhalla on Series X and the console doesn't get overly hot. Basically back of the PS4 Pro hot but without the loud fan. Seems like there was some concern here previously. Maybe it is real concern with faulty units? Not sure. Console is better looking in person. Has a high quality look to it, particularly standing up and the green on top with the mesh. Nice touch. Having a very familiar UI is as reassuring as it is dull. Unboxing was really meant to be an experience here. I can't really savor that but it was pleasant and didn't have any unnecessary annoyances. I always keep the box anyway for storage/moving, etc.

Lgging in and software set up was a breeze. It did take time do to updates, but I had other stuff to do anyways so I never ended up "waiting" for anything. Set up with new controller went really smooth. The new controller I like the texture, but it feels smaller than the old one? Not sure if that's just me or what but I would prefer a larger one. D-pad is clicky, which feels pretty good.

Almost forgot to mention the SSD which is just so nice to not have to wait for long loads, particularly with AC games where you often end up in menus, maps, etc.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Follow this order:

You need to press the controller Xbox button first, to turn it on.

Then press and hold the "pairing" button on the front of the controller for 3 seconds or more. It'll start flashing in a different way.

Last, press (you don't need to hold it down) the "pairing" button on the front of the console.

Then it should work.