• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Need a little help. For some reason my Xbox says my CX doesn't support Dolby vision?

And my my quick resume isn't working. Do I have to manually set it up?

I don't know how quick resume works, but this is how my setup is:
- XSX HDMI cable from XSX to HDMI port 2 on my LG C9 65"
- similar HDMI cable from TV's eARC HDMI port to my Denon x3300w AVR for 5.1 surround sound.
- TV sound settings set to "HDMI ARC"
- Denon x3300w settings set for "ARC enabled"
- my XSX settings are 4K, 120 Hz manually selected

everything else was automatic including the detection of Dolby Vision

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Build quality is great, lots of good heft. Looks way nicer in person than in pics. Everything about it feels nice and fast and fluid. Always felt my One and One X struggled on the menus - but this is nice and zippy. Quiet - super quiet. Pushes out some decent heat but nothing concerning. Means the fan is working. Xbox Live and downloads are being a bit wonky; likely just a server load issue.

Controller is their best yet. Feels of nicer quality. Adjustments to grips and shoulder buttons are A+. D-Pad is amazing. USB-C! Just, very pleased. Wish it had the cool tech of the DualSense, though.

Games are... well, what we expected. Going through lots of games I've already played to enjoy them with a new coat of paint. No issues. All looks and runs good. Forza Horizon 4, Ori, and Gears 5 are all great. But, again, they're games we've already played before.
I haven't beaten ori and I love going back and looking at old levels in gears because of the visuals. I'm weird like that. I do it in uncharted and tlou2 as well

Oct 29, 2017
If I keep storage on when the Xbox is off, does that mean my external HDD will constantly be spinning 24 hours a day? Is this bad for it?

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Getting used to these fast loading times is gonna be rough XD
I used to check my phone when loading or fast traveling in Horizon 4. Can't do that anymore T_T

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Anyone been completely unable to get the Xbox App to connect to their console? I couldn't get it to when I was first setting it up so just skipped it and did everything on the console but even today when I try and click "add an existing console" nothing happens at all.

I had the same problem for setup yesterday, so did manual setup. Today added as an exsisting console and worked fine. I think the app was overloaded on launch day maybe

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I tried with that, no dice

It's unchecked, and also several have it unchecked in the reddit thread. Not working fam.
Could be unrelated but it seems to have worked for me. I started a download of Mass Effect Andromeda then turned "off" the xbox. Just powered it back on and the install is at 75% of the 45GB or whatever it is

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC

Mister_X

Aug 22, 2020
Are VRR, Gsync and Free Sync the same thing? If so, should only one be on at a given time?

Last edited:

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
Is is just me, or is Gears Tactics not on Game Pass? Every article references it as being on GP, but I don't see it when I search on either my XSX or the Xbox phone app.

Edit: i decided to use the website instead and it's referencing that I can install the PC version on my XSX...so I must be misunderstanding something. I'll queue it up to install on my XSX and see what has been installed when I get home.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Is is just me, or is Gears Tactics not on Game Pass? Every article references it as being on GP, but I don't see it when I search on either my XSX or the Xbox phone app.

it's you

20201111_190040.jpg

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
Is there no way to see if the game you're playing or leaving supports quick resume?

Forza Horizon clearly doesn't support currently which sucks.

Turnbl

Oct 27, 2017

Edit: i decided to use the website instead and it's referencing that I can install the PC version on my XSX...so I must be misunderstanding something. I'll queue it up and see what has been installed when I get home.

If you open Game Pass and go to the very bottom and select browse all games A-Z you should see it fine

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Used an elastic band to force the character on gears 5 to spin but it still disconnected the controller and paused the game. Can it detect maybe the controller not moving?

Dec 13, 2017
Don't think you need to use a surge protector with Xboxes because they have them built in.

I just have everything connected to that thing because it has a million outlets. The Xbox, Tv, Modem, etc. are all connected to it. I'm thinking of switching the power cables to the ones in the box, connecting to the wall, and seeing if it makes a difference. I left it on installing games and it's quiet as hell and cool air. It's only when I run a game. SPECIFICALLY Monster Hunter World. This sounds silly but I bought Valhalla to see if bricks the console. I've read a lot of problems with that game. I'd rather run all these tests and make sure the console breaks within the return window of Amazon than on day 31 or some shit and I can't get my money back.

I'll connect to wall and leave it in open space vertically see if that fixes the issue. I know I'm not the only one going through this so hopefully someone reads my posts and gains some solace or some suggestions on how to fix it

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Used an elastic band to force the character on gears 5 to spin but it still disconnected the controller and paused the game. Can it detect maybe the controller not moving?

When you do the controller firmware update it specifically says to keep it stable, so maybe there's a little gyro or something in there to save battery. Would be cool.

Oct 27, 2017
A little bit sad that I'd convinced myself that the Dolby audio app would be free.

I thought it was like the PS2 with DVD playback and that the cost was "built in" so to speak and not like the OG Xbox of having to buy something extra.

My fault really.

Gotchaforce

Oct 31, 2017
I'm new to HDR. Was testing different games and it just went away? On settings auto HDR is on but the toggle for HDR10 is now Grey. I've reset both my tv and Xbox and it's still grey. Was working earlier.

eek

Oct 26, 2017
Wait why are you doing this? Also try rubber banding the two sticks together so you run in a circle instead of just spinning.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
has anybody tried resident evil 3 on series X? should I play now or wait for a patch? I heard the performance was meh
One X had a downpatch to keep it more to 60, so I think that ended up being 1800p, not full 4k. With no Series X updated, I am guessing its just runs locked 60@1800. I am sure some footage is out there already.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A little bit sad that I'd convinced myself that the Dolby audio app would be free.

I thought it was like the PS2 with DVD playback and that the cost was "built in" so to speak and not like the OG Xbox of having to buy something extra.

My fault really.

Windows sonic is the same thing roughly and is free. I think dolby is better but it's not like waaaaay better.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
No Mans Sky at 4k60, with Auto HDR and loading fast is *chef kiss*.

Even with 100's of hours in the game, I am good to go back in.

Coming from the One X, the Series X very much feels like the days of buying a new PC or upgrading your GPU. Games worked ok before but everything running faster, smoother etc is sooooo good.
Perfect analogy.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Wait why are you doing this? Also try rubber banding the two sticks together so you run in a circle instead of just spinning.

trying to 'soak test' my installation to check temps are ok. I think I'm fine though - after about 30 mins the temp inside the cabinet is like 22c and that's including a cable box that is warm. The sides of the xsx are warm to the touch but it seems to be properly exhausting the air out the rear like I was hoping

Nahalum

Nov 6, 2017
Hey does anyone know if I can use my Xbox one X power cable for the Xbox series X? It would just be easier to unhook the old counsel and use all the same hook ups

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
I'm new to gamepass, so if I bought 12 months of gold, is there a way to convert that to gamepass at all? I remember the Forza 3 delisting thread having something like that.

Hoodie Season

Jun 17, 2020
Now I'm back to not being able to play anything. When I launch a game, the screen just stays black. The HDR logo at the top right corner pops up, then goes away, then a message comes up saying something like the instant game has launched...those 2 messages just pop up over and over while the screen stays black. I do get some sound though from what sounds like the game menu. Ah this is frustrating. I've been loving my time playing this thing...when I've actually been able to play it.

Dec 13, 2017
I'm new to gamepass, so if I bought 12 months of gold, is there a way to convert that to gamepass at all? I remember the Forza 3 delisting thread having something like that.

I just did this yesterday, I never had game pass before so idk if that had anything to do with it. I bought two years of XBL and redeemed the codes online. I added the recurring bill for an extra month, so I got an additional two months out of it. I stopped my recurring billing. Then I converted to GPU for $1 and got charged that. Now it says my next charge of $14.99 will take place two years from now. You can stack up to 3 years but Amazon only let me buy two codes. You know it worked when it says that you don't have to pay again until "x" amount of time in the future

Turnbl

Oct 27, 2017

If you haven't registered Game Pass already yes. People have been adding up to 3 years of Gold and converting to Game Pass Ultimate for a one off $1/£1

Abu05

Oct 27, 2017

My fault really.
Wait for the Black Friday sale. I think I got it for only 10 bucks or something cheap. They also have a trail if you haven't used it before