• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Slowly working my way through games I have that I know had performance/graphics options.Many of which run poorly if you push resolution etc.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I downloaded about 15 games overnight in stand by. I'm in Europe if that matters (maybe some region's servers are borked?)

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
It's the 2018 model, the Q6FN ? do you know if VRR is working on it with the serie x? Free sync work 1 work but VRR ?

Yes - this one. VRR works as in FreeSync. I was under the impression it's the same thing.
VfdL516l.png

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
After the unfortunate event that I got delivered a Series S rather than the Series X yesterday, I was surprised to see the delivery man come unannounced with a Series X in hand. Feels good! Now to download and download some more :>

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
It's actually insane how quiet this thing is. Got up during some Fallen Order and decided to put my ear right up next to it - nothing. Dead fucking silent.

Also holy shit, Tetris Connect is amazing. What a trip!

Oct 27, 2017
Newnan, GA
I had a bunch of Smart Delivery/Game Pass games installed on an external hard drive that I connected to my Series X. On the Games page they have have an icon with 2 arrows on them. Do I have to move them to internal storage to get the Series X update? The games include Forza Horizon 4, Sea of Thieves, Gears 5, and more.

AndyMc1888

Jul 16, 2019
So if you have 48-60 display, you will essentially have 2 effective rangers.

48-60hz (for "60fps" games)

24-30hz (for "30fps" games)

If you are playing a 60fps game and it drops below 48fps , then it will tear/judder is it would have otherwise.

So I would just leave it on; it will work where it can and almost universally will get either an equal experience or better experience

thank you ! Is the nu8000 49" anytbing your familiar with? Rtings claim I have VRR but no option in my tv settings for it with game mode on

Deleted member 17728

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been having problems trying to get Xbox 360 and original Xbox titles to play. Either type connects online for licenses, gets to the loading splash page, and then error 0x80070002. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any good information to troubleshoot that yet. Has anyone else here seen this behavior? Xbox One and Series X games work perfectly.

I did find a solution for this issue should anyone else run into it. Surprisingly it's related to DNS. I configured my Xbox to use Google's DNS servers and backwards compatible titles started working.

Dec 13, 2017
From my experience it's super quiet, as in the least noisy console I've ever had.

However, this thing pumps out A LOT of heat, so I would definitely try to place it somewhere where the console will have a lot of clearance above it. I had to put it next to my TV because the only alternative was a shelf where there would be only 10cm of space above the console.

My issue with moving it upright is that it would have to be hidden and I have a mixamp connected to the console (not sure why anymore since the mix amp doesn't work as well anymore). I'm trying to tilt it so the vent is facing outside and not directly at the shelf. Maybe this might help it somewhat?

Brewm0nt

Dec 22, 2017
Orlando, FL
So I think something may be up with downloading games and patches while in sleep mode. Last night, I set up the last few remaining things to download on my Series X, went to bed, and after returning from my bike ride this morning and turned it back on, it appears that no progress was made. If any was, it was very little.

I made sure that the "turn off storage when console is off" is unchecked, too. No idea why this would be when I never had a problem on my Xbox One X.

Weird.

Dec 13, 2017
120Hz might be bound to the HDMI port you are using. Not sure on LG TVs.MHW should run at 60fps so it should be a big difference imo.

so 120HZ may be locked to HDMI2 or whatever? Because my TV doesn't support that :/.

MHW used to run almost unlocked where it would fluctuate. The hub runs at 60fps but hunts are down to 30fps. I have it prioritize resolution, should I switch to frame rate? I'm not sure if then it won't be in HDR or not

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
Playing No Mans Sky on the Series X is like a whole new game, if you have never tried it on PC. Incredibly smooth frames, higher density ground clutter. I did notice more pop in than usual, but I think it was because it was a fresh install.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Yeah. AC does target 60fps. And even with 30fps games (EvilBoris taught me) VRR should kick in due to every frame being rendered twice. So lowest would be 24fps.
So pleased to see VRR being used properly already.
So if you have 48-60 display, you will essentially have 2 effective rangers.

48-60hz (for "60fps" games)

24-30hz (for "30fps" games)

If you are playing a 60fps game and it drops below 48fps , then it will tear/judder is it would have otherwise.

So I would just leave it on; it will work where it can and almost universally will get either an equal experience or better experience
What's the VRR range of the C9?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Nice to see that you can run Forza Horizon 4 from an external HDD even with the Series X update. It's a big game now (with the expansions) so it's a good alternative if you're running low on SSD space.

I just ordered the Expansion Card 👀

Edit: (potentially) cancel that! Turns out it's on my internal. Didn't realise, must've either moved there itself when it updated or I moved it and forgot.

Last edited:

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
so 120HZ may be locked to HDMI2 or whatever? Because my TV doesn't support that :/.

MHW used to run almost unlocked where it would fluctuate. The hub runs at 60fps but hunts are down to 30fps. I have it prioritize resolution, should I switch to frame rate? I'm not sure if then it won't be in HDR or not
Hmmm I've read that hunts are 60fps in resolution mode also. Perhaps try a different hdmi cord, if you aren't using the one that was included? Sometimes something as minor as that can change it. Also try a different HMDI port.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Nice to see that you can run Forza Horizon 4 from an external HDD even with the Series X update. It's a big game now (with the expansions) so it's a good alternative if you're running low on SSD space.
Well that's weird, I thought they clearly said that games enhanced for X/S must be run from the internal drive or expansion.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
From my experience it's super quiet, as in the least noisy console I've ever had.

However, this thing pumps out A LOT of heat, so I would definitely try to place it somewhere where the console will have a lot of clearance above it. I had to put it next to my TV because the only alternative was a shelf where there would be only 10cm of space above the console.
As long as the air has somewhere to go, you shouldn't need a lot of clearance above it. It's only a problem if the air can't escape, such as in a closed entertainment centre.

LNBL

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Was just wondering this! Thanks

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
is there a good way to 'soak test' your setup? I have mine in a cupboard - I have hopefully ventilated it well enough but I want to check. I tried putting gears 5 on yesterday while I watched Bake off, but when I came back the controller had disconnected and it had paused - so probably not a good test.

Just need something that'll generate some 'normal' heat/load, and a way to stop it going to sleep. I like Ori but don't know if thats likely to push the console

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017

That's fantastic news, is this the norm for "updated" games? It would make the Series S a lot more viable. It's great Microsoft updating older titles but, I really wouldn't want all of the internal space taken up with updated Xbox One titles.

Dec 13, 2017
Hmmm I've read that hunts are 60fps in resolution mode also. Perhaps try a different hdmi cord, if you aren't using the one that was included? Sometimes something as minor as that can change it. Also try a different HMDI port.

I just tested it again and I used frame rate mode and it's at 60 but still in HDR.

I moved the vent facing the outside so it can get air and it doesn't make noise anymore but it still feels warm to the touch. I'm not sure how it's supposed to feel but it feels as warm as my One X while it's on, and now it doesn't make that noise but it's still louder than my One X. Not sure if it's a faulty system or not :/

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
The console is great so far for me other than having to keep my Xbox on to actually install games. It doesn't even make any sense how this is happening.... I shut it down last night and nothing got installed. If we're going to have 800gb of storage, this better get fixed quickly because I don't want to keep my Xbox on every time I want to install and delete games. Doesn't help my internet doesn't really download them quickly enough.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I'm definitely going to need more space. I find I'm already nearing down my hard drive. No idea how people with the S are doing it.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
is quick resume just on by default? I've been switching between a few games and I don't think its ever warned me that the previous game will be closed

LNBL

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Edit: well, I'm (potentially) wrong. Looks like I transferred it last night and forgot? It's on my internal after all.

Jury's still out then!
While installing Tetris effect and Gears 5 it actually told me i need to instal to the internal SSD. Ill try and see of it promts the same for Ori.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Sorry for butting in, but a question. On my LG CX, it has a VRR range of 40-120. If I have my Xbox Series X set to 120Hz output with VRR, but I play a game which is rendering at 30FPS, does that actually mean VRR would work on a range of 10-30Hz? Same with a 60FPS game working for 20-60?
In theory I think so, I don't know at what point the GPU
So pleased to see VRR being used properly already.

What's the VRR range of the C9?

20-120hz I think

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Checked my disk drive with Borderlands 3 which I believe I bought for $8 on sale a couple of weeks ago. Disk drive seems fine so I'm pretty sure hardware wise, everything is good with my unit now.

Yes I wanted to manage my games and once in a while chill in bed and finish playing a game from my xbox.

But my App didn't even see the xbox to pair with even though I used the @pp to set it up and they are of course on the same network

It still sees my old xbox that's gone now and removed from devices on my xbox account

Strange
My remote play is working this morning. Good because my 3yr olds daycare had a teacher with a positive case of COVID so he is home with me the rest of the week. My work deadline day was yesterday so I was hoping to play a little in between task.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
Does Gears Tactics not show up on the Game Pass list or in the Xbox's GP app for anybody else? I had to search for it in the store and install it through a weird roundabout way in there.