• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AndyMc1888

Jul 16, 2019
Game mode is set per input device. So game mode should be active as soon as you select the console. Otherwise you can simply activate it as described.
Do you have a link to your questions to boris ? At 4k my tv only has a 48-60 range in VRR which I imagine is fine but what happens on the odd occasion it drops below that is it still worth it ? EvilBoris maybe one for yourself ? This is specifically for Valhalla but is this something I'd want to turn off in non 60 games I'm assuming on a game by game basis ?

Oct 29, 2017
A few random thoughts of minimal time with my Series X last night...

- Quick resume is amazing! This is one feature I read about and saw videos of, and was like eh. Having it though, different beast. It's great, and I wasn't expecting that to be one of my favorite things.
- Fast. Coming from an One X, navigating the menus is SO nice!
- I have no money for it, but the expansion card is an absolute must. Just downloading my "always like having ready to go games" aka Siege, Apex, Dead by Daylight, TF2, Destiny 2... already knocking on the ceiling. When I want games, and wouldnt mind getting a PS5, dropping $240 on more storage hurts, but absolutely needed.

Games I've dabbled in:
Apex Legends - Super responsive in the menus, super clean, load times are great.
Bright Memory - Screen tearing like crazy, which was odd, as I cant recall the last time I saw tearing like that.
Madden 21 - This one was weird, because in the game section, it set up 2 "games" for it, both with different avatars (the cover art on one, a black/neon one with Lamar Jackson). The Cover Art one was only 264kb and wouldnt boot, so I deleted it. Other one booted up just fine before and after that. I've never seen that.

Controller is great, love the new DPad. I feel like the B button feels weird from time to time, but every time I feel that way, I cant recreate it.

All in all - No big issues yet. Runs cold and quiet, VERY fast, everything looks great. Will wait for payday to take advantage of Targets deal, but thinking some combination of COD, Fuser, Valhalla, NBA2k, Watch Dogs Legion, and Yakuza.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
Do you have a link to your questions to boris ? At 4k my tv only has a 48-60 range in VRR which I imagine is fine but what happens on the odd occasion it drops below that is it still worth it ? EvilBoris maybe one for yourself ? This is specifically for Valhalla but is this something I'd want to turn off in non 60 games I'm assuming on a game by game basis ?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/tv-displays-and-tech-thread-ot2-there-is-no-perfect-tv-™-read-the-op.55230/post-49403896
30fps games are frame doubled, so the game can drop as low as 24fps (48hz) and freesync will keep sync.
Here you go.

Edit: and why would you disable VRR?

AndyMc1888

Jul 16, 2019
Amazing thank you! I see no reason to ever turn this off even in competitive games in that case hopefully my amazon man appears soon and I can get it running.

it was mainly if I needed to disable it for games targeting 30 due to the above question - I play competitive fifa and stuff for example and wasn't sure if any performance hits :)

ZeroNoir_

Oct 25, 2017
it seems that it's finally downloading while on standby, albeit very very very very slow

Weird MS has not acknowledged it

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

So if you have 48-60 display, you will essentially have 2 effective rangers.

48-60hz (for "60fps" games)

24-30hz (for "30fps" games)

If you are playing a 60fps game and it drops below 48fps , then it will tear/judder is it would have otherwise.

So I would just leave it on; it will work where it can and almost universally will get either an equal experience or better experience

ravnelis

Prophet of Regret
Jan 1, 2018
LG finally updated my B9 and holy shit, 4k/120fps/VRR/HDR in Ori and the Will of the Wisps is incredible.

I wish I could play more, but I have a surprisingly busy day at work. :(

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
it seems that it's finally downloading while on standby, albeit very very very very slow

Weird MS has not acknowledged it
Mine did last night.
They said they disabled some features whilst server pod was high- I could imagine that would be the kind of thing they would turn off, so they currently active users got a better experience

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
Mine did last night.
They said they disabled some features whilst server pod was high- I could imagine that would be the kind of thing they would turn off, so they currently active users got a better experience

Welp - maybe the "Download even if you don't own the game" feature wasn't such a good idea. lol

BoxScar

Jul 21, 2020
The UI is an absolute mess

I agree, I haven't used an Xbox since the 360 and I feel kind of overwhelmed when I boot it up. I know you can customise it, but I haven't had the time to dig into it yet.

I tried to queue games to download using the gamepass app on my phone, but I just turned on my SX from sleep and none of the games I queued where in the download list. Is ther esomething I'm missing? In the app I selected "Xbox" as it was teh only thing listed and thats what my Series X is called in the settings.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
For me it feels like I updated my One X with a new SSD, RAM and a new graphics card. Everything is just so fast and smooth and pretty. I fucking love it.

Byron Hinson

Nov 14, 2017
UK
Been playing Observer: System Redux the most so far. Looks good most of the time but not the looker I thought it would be. You have an option that makes it full 4K but runs really badly but looks great.

borderlands 3 was the biggest step up so far. Didn't enjoy it on the One X at 30fps. Now full 60 it is great.

Rebel777

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
My disk drive acting weird.

When my XSX has disk inside it stops spinning after some time i got that but when im turning whole console OFF, after it shuts down, 5-10 seconds later drive kicks in - start spinning the disk for like 5 seconds and shut down too.

Thats normal?

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
If I'm running Jedi Fallen Order from the USB HDD, will it make a difference if I transfer it to the Series X SSD? I bet it loads faster, but does it look better?

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A solid amount of the BC games I'm launching do not support Auto HDR. Red Dead 1, every Metal Gear, and Ninja Gaiden Black don't do it.

The first Peggle does it though for some reason. Really wish I could toggle it off per game.

robinium7

Jul 25, 2020
Ireland
So if you have 48-60 display, you will essentially have 2 effective rangers.

48-60hz (for "60fps" games)

24-30hz (for "30fps" games)

If you are playing a 60fps game and it drops below 48fps , then it will tear/judder is it would have otherwise.

So I would just leave it on; it will work where it can and almost universally will get either an equal experience or better experience

Sorry for butting in, but a question. On my LG CX, it has a VRR range of 40-120. If I have my Xbox Series X set to 120Hz output with VRR, but I play a game which is rendering at 30FPS, does that actually mean VRR would work on a range of 10-30Hz? Same with a 60FPS game working for 20-60?

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone else had issues with Assassin's Creed? A fair amount of folks on the subreddit are complaining about Valhalla causing issues for them. I'm not sure if that's because Valhalla is probably the biggest game at launch right now and the one most people are playing, a lack of proper clearance for their systems causing issues, or if it actually is causing problems for them.

I played it for a couple hours last night and didn't have any problems, but... now I'm worried, lol.

doyneamite

Oct 26, 2018
Usually I'm non too fussed about these kinds of things but I find the dashboard not being in 4K bothering me much more over the last 24 hours than it has over the last 3 years using the One X.

I just find it a little jarring when I come back to the dashboard because almost every game has a crystal clear UI.

Chick3n

Nov 6, 2018
Yeah...how do I do that? I want to preload cod Cold War.
You need to use the Xbox app on a phone. But Cold War doesn't seem to work currently. I open it on the phone app and get an error message.

The QR code is to download the app. Just open the app add console and type in the code on the screen.
I needed to scan the code. The first enter code screen didn't work for me, but the QR page did. When I typed in that code my phone told me to scan the QR code on screen.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
Are downloads going super slow for anyone else ? Left console in rest overnight to download games and turned it back on and it was downloading at like 2mb.

Crotin

May 6, 2018
After spending a good amount of time with it, I'm enjoying the console so far. Instant resume is great and had me confused at first since I'm used to needing some kind of standby/rest mode in order to have the feature. I also like the faster load times.

I bought the console mostly to play GamePass games that aren't available on PC and it hasn't disappointed. I saw Lost Odyssey and immediately downloaded that. Also downloaded a ton of other games to check out the enhancements.

The presentation when you get an achievement is pretty awesome. It looks like a well made Twitch stream sub notification with its animations and extra features like holding the Xbox button for additional details.

Not being able to login to my console using my phone and not my controller was annoying, so I set it at passkey. Maybe there's an alternative to being able to login without a controller.

One annoying thing I ran into was the d-pad is crazy clicky, and the AA batteries that came with my console were dead on arrival. I tried every kind of way to put them in and the pad just wouldn't power up. Luckily I have a USB C cord otherwise I wouldn't have been able to play. I enjoyed playing Tetris Effect but sounded it like I was playing Marvel vs Capcom 2 by the amount of noise I was making between the d-pad and rumble triggers. It took a little bit to get used to the triggers, but they aren't annoying as much as when I first started playing.

Outside of the AA batteries not cooperating with my controller, setting up the console was simple. The controller firmware updates wasn't something I expected, but were fairly quick.

The UI felt straight out of Netflix, but at least it gets to the point. The queue was also a bit annoying since only like 3 items at a time are shown on screen across a long straight line to fit in details. I downloaded Killer Instinct which means the game + DLC, and had to scroll passed all of it to get to the rest of the games in the queue. I wish there was an option to show more items on screen.

I am mostly waiting on Halo Infinite at this point but never played any of the Halos after 3, so it'll be cool to finally catch up. Also being able to play enhanced versions of multiplatform games that aren't on PC is a treat.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Play Sea of Thieves on your break Series X/S and get an exclusive Xbox celebration ship set!

Oct 29, 2017
Im sure most of you knew this, but I didnt realize it - you can play XBox One games off a normal external HDD, you just dont get any of the benefits. I was very excited to see this as I thought you could only do storage, but thats for Series X|S games and forfeiting the upgrades. For games I want to continue to play like Titanfall 2, but is a whopping 70 GB, I dont care if it plays the same as last gen for now.

Just thought I'd share if anyone else was confused on that. (I'm old, w/ a family, and very limited time on here, so this may have only been news to me! haha)

Turnbl

Oct 27, 2017
How was the single player story in Star Wars Battlefront II in the end? Is it worth playing or should i jump straight to Jedi Fallen Order?

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Usually I'm non too fussed about these kinds of things but I find the dashboard not being in 4K bothering me much more over the last 24 hours than it has over the last 3 years using the One X.

I just find it a little jarring when I come back to the dashboard because almost every game has a crystal clear UI.
those game icons look really bad on the dashboard's home page

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Wowsers, just tried the Borderlands 3 update for the first time and DAMN.

Might be the most impressed I've been with an Enhanced game. Proper 4K at 60fps looks amazing with this art style. And this is a game that was 1080p/60 or 4K/juddery '30fps' before.

Looks and feels incredible now. And that HDR 👏🏻

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Hopefully they get quick resume working for all games soon. I was trying out some Maneater, switched to Jedi Fallen Order and then went back to Maneater and it put me through the whole title screen again.

Might be the most impressed I've been with an Enhanced game. Proper 4K at 60fps looks amazing with this art style. And this is a game that was 1080p/60 or 4K/juddery '30fps' before.

I have that update installing and I'm excited to try it out. Honestly it's the load times that I'm most interested in. In a game where you do a lot of farming by quitting and reloading the load times on Xbox One were painfully long.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I was reading that if you play a game and download something to internal storage, the download is throttled (presumably because it's partly in use by the game). But is that also the case if you play a game and download to external storage?

Also, maybe it's worth pinning a link to the known issues list in this thread or referring to it in the OP. It seems to get updated with new entries too.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Second console hard crash while playing Valhalla today in between 2 hours.

I don't like where this is going....

Try to leave the preview program now, maybe it's because of this, had zero problems yesterday but if it continues, time to message Amazon.....

UltraInstinct

Nov 19, 2017
A bit disappointed that I can't enable 120Hz on my TV. It's the Sony XF90, so it's HDMI 2.0 but it should be capable of 120Hz, but the XSX tells me it's not supported? Anyone have a similar set either this or the XE got this to work?

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
A bit disappointed that I can't enable 120Hz on my TV. It's the Sony XF90, so it's HDMI 2.0 but it should be capable of 120Hz, but the XSX tells me it's not supported? Anyone have a similar set either this or the XE got this to work?
You set it to 1080p? Pretty sure that's as high as you can go for hdmi 2.0 higher than 60hz

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Just tried this out. Managed to slog through the One X version but being able to put on res mode and it be smooth is amazing. Time to start another run.