• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phone's at 10% and still no electricity lol. Can't even go into work. Today's gonna be a fun day.

Nov 1, 2017
Yesterday was a nightmare. I wasn't prepared for the storm, and ended up in a situation with no lights, no water, and no mobile internet. Had a full blown panic-attack when the car decided to not start up. (like, c'mon! Really?! Of all days, NOW you don't start?)

Despite all this, I am still really lucky. My pets are okay, there's little to no damage here. I missed my job interview (lol), but that's all fixed up now.

I'm hoping everyone here is okay. Power is slowly coming back to the city it seems.

Last edited:

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
No power or water here as well. Guessing my food has probably gone bad and I feel really bad for the little critters in my aquarium :(

I'm generally ok with dealing without power but not having water is painful.

Nov 1, 2017
No power or water here as well. Guessing my food has probably gone bad and I feel really bad for the little critters in my aquarium :(

I'm generally ok with dealing without power but not having water is painful.
Do they need power to keep the tank clean? If you would like, I can pick up a battery/supplies from the stores and help out (I have restored power at my place).

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Do they need power to keep the tank clean? If you would like, I can pick up a battery/supplies from the stores and help out (I have restored power at my place).

Thanks for the offer :)

I think we should be ok, some of the neighbouring areas are getting power back so I suspect that we shouldn't be too far behind, fingers crossed!

Silex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those of us in Orleans have been very lucky as I've not experienced any effects from the storm. Had the lights briefly flicker once and that was it.

I'm thinking of all you without power and hope it all works out.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Well, tomorrow is going to be Key in determining whether I can atleast salvage my freezer or not. Hopefully now that the power is up in more places there is a store that has Ice I can buy.

Silex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here work for the federal public service on the Gatineau side? Or at the very least, have you heard anything about those offices being open tomorrow?

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Anyone here work for the federal public service on the Gatineau side? Or at the very least, have you heard anything about those offices being open tomorrow?

Try checking with the Voice Bulletin system for your department? The number should be on the back of your ID card.

I've heard of some cancellations, although the power is on at my office in downtown Hull so we go in as usual.

Silex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Try checking with the Voice Bulletin system for your department? The number should be on the back of your ID card.

I've heard of some cancellations, although the power is on at my office in downtown Hull so we go in as usual.
Yeah, I checked twice and it said everything was still open, but then there's the twitter saying we should stay home. I'm going to assume that the voice bulletin hasn't been updated yet and I'll check again tomorrow morning.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
Love this thread, very Ottawa.

Discussion about delayed LRT
Discussion about trying to get a meet up going and it ends up not happening at all.
Discussion whether the federal buildings are open.

Silex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Discussion about trying to get a meet up going and it ends up not happening at all.
Oh just you wait, once the LRT is up and running, this thread will be bustling about the subpar OC Transpo service. We will have a whole new avenue to complain about public transit, you'll see.

Nov 1, 2017
Hey, I'm down for hang-outs. What's a good time for everyone? Thinking maybe we go to The Blurry Pixel or Level One, unless anyone has an alternative suggestion?

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
So who's going to try out the LRT today on opening day? đź‘€

FateShirou

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm tempted. I got no reason to be downtown today, but I could always find one. It's been a long time coming, the excitement is real.

I just came back. The stations are sexy. It's definitely a stress free way of getting downtown if you don't have a car, still a bit ridiculous that the western terminus is Tunney's but I understand now as the fare zone make complete sense and is pretty efficient. Wouldn't really work if Westboro or Dominion were the end of the line.

I took a couple of photos but too lazy to put them on imgur.

Not my photos but a glance at the Rideau station.

The Rideau station is deep! Had to go down 3 sets of escalators near the "Highlander" entrance just to get to the main concourse. Currently today's schedule is on the rush hour schedule so trains every 5 minutes. Not a long wait. It gets loud when you hit those sharp bends near Tremblay/Lees station that I think rail cars are not used to but overall a good ride. I wish I had this when I was studying at Carleton.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I just came back. The stations are sexy. It's definitely a stress free way of getting downtown if you don't have a car, still a bit ridiculous that the western terminus is Tunney's but I understand now as the fare zone make complete sense and is pretty efficient. Wouldn't really work if Westboro or Dominion were the end of the line.

I found an excuse and headed out a couple hours ago. I started at Tunney's and made my way to Blair for my stop at A&W, my previous excuse was a Beaver Tail in Byward, but I got sidetracked once I stopped at Pimisi since that's one of my primary stops, and there I found out about the swag. So I stopped at every station to pick stuff up. :P

I collected the magnets. Got 9/13. I'm missing Rideau, Hurdman, St-Laurent and Blair. I was almost missing Tunney's and Bayview, but I ran into someone awesome who gave me some of the extras they had.

Was pretty fun. I'm excited!

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
I found an excuse and headed out a couple hours ago. I started at Tunney's and made my way to Blair for my stop at A&W, my previous excuse was a Beaver Tail in Byward, but I got sidetracked once I stopped at Pimisi since that's one of my primary stops, and there I found out about the swag. So I stopped at every station to pick stuff up. :P

I collected the magnets. Got 9/13. I'm missing Rideau, Hurdman, St-Laurent and Blair. I was almost missing Tunney's and Bayview, but I ran into someone awesome who gave me some of the extras they had.

Was pretty fun. I'm excited!

You mother fucker. I had no idea about the fridge magnets until after I got home seeing all those tweets. I even saw people with cutout models of the train but they were out. I couldn't stop at every station cause my mother was with me and she has a bad knee. But we did make a stop at Rideau for some coffee. She's impressed at the scope.

Heard at one point the escalators at Rideau stations when offline. And it was the mega escalator.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
You mother fucker. I had no idea about the fridge magnets until after I got home seeing all those tweets. I even saw people with cutout models of the train but they were out. I couldn't stop at every station cause my mother was with me and she has a bad knee. But we did make a stop at Rideau for some coffee. She's impressed at the scope.

Heard at one point the escalators at Rideau stations when offline. And it was the mega escalator.
LMAO!

I started at 3:30 and once I got off at Pimisi and found out there was swag, it became a mad dash into every station to find the swag booth or an employee. Some of the employees had then squirrled away in their vests and you had to find the right person, others had them laid out on the table. At every station I got off there was like 3 or more other people doing the same as well, so it was a fun experience.

I'm lucky I got Tunney's and Bayview though. From what I hear they ran out of swag in minutes. Missed Blair, Rideau and Hurdman though because they are major connection points/terminus stations.

At Cyrrville because it's a smaller station they gave everyone two magnets so they could trade for the more popular ones.

It was fun. I'm an adult, but I was grinning like a kid the whole time.

Last edited:

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao. I started at 3:30 and once I got off at Pimisi and found out there was swag, it became a mad dash into every station to find the swag booth or an employee. Some of the employees had then squirrled away in their vests and you had to find the right person, others had them laid out on the table. At every station I got off there was like 3 or more other people doing the same as well, so it was a fun experience.

I'm lucky I got Tunney's and Bayview though. From what I hear they ran out of swag in minutes. Missed Blair, Rideau and Hurdman though because they are major connection points/terminus stations.

At Cyrrville because it's a smaller station they gave everyone two magnets so they could trade for the more popular ones.

Yah, same. It's a huge project that ended up delayed but it turned out alright. The stations looks really good from the inside. I'm wondering how the outdoor stations will feel like during the winter months at -30...

I await stage 2.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao. I started at 3:30 and once I got off at Pimisi and found out there was swag, it became a mad dash into every station to find the swag booth or an employee. Some of the employees had then squirrled away in their vests and you had to find the right person, others had them laid out on the table. At every station I got off there was like 3 or more other people doing the same as well, so it was a fun experience.

Wtf, why did I not know about this?

I took the OTrain from the Rideau Center towards Blair, it was like every other metro I've been on, which is a good thing. I think the city made the right choice going with light rail.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Wtf, why did I not know about this?

I took the OTrain from the Rideau Center towards Blair, it was like every other metro I've been on, which is a good thing. I think the city made the right choice going with light rail.

Probably because you started at Rideau. From what I heard from others, if you started at Tunneys, Bayview, Rideau, Hurdman or Blair, you were pretty much SOL for swag and would have only found out about it if you got off at any other station. I got off at Pimisi, which is where I realized they were giving away stuff. And from there it was a journey to the other stations.

Pimisi itself had a cool booth setup with First Nations stuff. There was also a Paddle that you could sign, which they are going to hang from the roof with the other paddles

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, an Ottawa thread.
Moved from Westboro to the more affordable outside area and I still miss it.
No one walks here! But at least I'm not destroying my car with the potholes on Carling anymore.

Deleted member 5582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spent an hour back and forth and back on the train. It was great! The atmosphere on every train was very positive, and it felt like being part of a civilized society for once.

Bus home was a fucking nightmare though. I don't know who at OC Transpo thinks it's acceptable to have 30 min gaps between 95s on the weekend. Oh but there's several ending at Tunnys, great job.

I expect tomorrow through the bus rejigger to be still pretty bad, but once that's done and we no longer have 95s running from Trim Rd in Orleans to Cambrian in Barrhaven it should be a lot better.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Spent an hour back and forth and back on the train. It was great! The atmosphere on every train was very positive, and it felt like being part of a civilized society for once.

Bus home was a fucking nightmare though. I don't know who at OC Transpo thinks it's acceptable to have 30 min gaps between 95s on the weekend. Oh but there's several ending at Tunnys, great job.

I expect tomorrow through the bus rejigger to be still pretty bad, but once that's done and we no longer have 95s running from Trim Rd in Orleans to Cambrian in Barrhaven it should be a lot better.

LOL,yah the buses still have a lot to be desired. There may be more adjustments to come as more people use the system. It's jarring going from a rail system that comes every 5'ish minutes to a bus every 15 minutes and has to make all the stops at red lights. Still an improvement though.

When stage 2 comes online that's when the city will reach its stride.

TheQueensOwn

Oct 27, 2017
I hope LRT lightens the load on the highway. I'm way out in the sticks now (Embrun) so can't really avoid driving a car. Big change from my 3 minute walk to work in Little Italy.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
I found this on Reddit Earlier. Someone made a map of what the system will look like come 2040 if all the currently in development plans get put through

Is the extension to Barrhaven part of phase 3? And are they going to twin the Trillium line? Or they just going to rely on pass through loops to separate out the lines. Guess i'd be too much work to twin the line.

I just noticed the at-grade line on Carling. That on the books too?

Transit enthusiast Reece Martin did a profile of our opening day.

Last edited:

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Is the extension to Barrhaven part of phase 3?

I just noticed the at-grade line on Carling. That on the books too?
Yeah. Phase 3 is:
- Baseline to Barrhaven
- Moody's to Stittsville through Kanata
- Fixing up the Prince of Wales Bridge and pushing the line one stop upwards onto the Gatineau side to, I believe Alexandre-Tache Blvd/Montcalm Rd (and kicking the can to that government on anything past that)

As for the at-grade carling, it's on the cities current master plan, but everyone thinks they'll probably cancel or move it elsewhere (with Baseline being a big contendor) once the new one is released.

And are they going to twin the Trillium line? Or they just going to rely on pass through loops to separate out the lines. Guess i'd be too much work to twin the line.
They're doing some twinning of the line in Phase-2, but not the whole line. I don't recall off the top of my head completely, but basically once Phase 2 opens:

- Bayview to Dows Lake will be twinned
- Walkey to Greenboro? (I think, not 100%. Don't trust me on this one)
- South Keys will have another passing loop
- Leitrum to Riverside South will be twinned
- Airport spur line will be single-track, but the plan is to only have a single train moving between the 3 stations from Airport-Uplands-South Keys

So basically, the only portion's not twinned will be Dows Lake to Walkey and South Keys to Leitrum. I personally think they should just rip off the bandaid and just twin the whole line (minus the tunnel-Carleton-tunnel portion) while they have the line shut down, just because it would immediately pump up ridership and bring travel times down massively, but I guess the reason they don't is they don't see the ridership increasing much for the next couple decades. And it'll cost them a shit-ton to expand the existing tunnels under Dows Lake/Rideau RIver to fit another line.

But like, it would have been a a good way for them to salvage the Trillium LIne extension to Riverside by giving Barrhaven a second connection for cheap. Because as it sits right now, everything South Keys to Riverside South is going to be a money loser because it stops in the middle of a farmers field, with its only claim to fame being a developer who says they are going to build Condos/Apartments there.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
LRT already putting in the work and showing results for me.

The highway drive to work was amazing, basically stayed at 100KM/H the whole time with no stop n go.

MOAR TRAINS NEED TO BUILT JAM WOTSON

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Friend took my on a flight over Ottawa yesterday. It was amazing. Took some picture with my iPhone. Not the best camera, but it at least managed to capture some of my wonder.

Landsdowne:
dYORUI5.jpg

With zoom:
riQktL9.jpg

Downtown/Gatineau:
FHQK3tY.jpg

With Zoom:
SeTjZWd.jpg

Near Arnprior, with the sun peering out through the clouds:
TxAupJY.jpg

Nov 1, 2017
Friend took my on a flight over Ottawa yesterday. It was amazing. Took some picture with my iPhone. Not the best camera, but it at least managed to capture some of my wonder.

Landsdowne:
dYORUI5.jpg

With zoom:
riQktL9.jpg

Downtown/Gatineau:
FHQK3tY.jpg

With Zoom:
SeTjZWd.jpg

Near Arnprior, with the sun peering out through the clouds:
TxAupJY.jpg
I really hope Ottawa is accurate in the upcoming Flight Simulator.

Silex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the ride on the LRT went really smooth today for me. I can actually get home 20 mins faster in the evening.

Only downside is that the tunnel from Lyon to Rideau smell like sewage and it seeps in the train itself.