• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
I mean that's fine. I'm saying I never really heal with H'aanit because there is very rarely a need to so far.

It's kinda like saying a scholar is useless when you don't equip any elemental attack... it's good that you don't need it so far because the game is great with letting you have multiple options in battle.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Break them as quickly as possible and set up a turn where you can deal a lot of damage. Some bosses you're not meant to play the attrition game. By doing that, they feel very puzzle-like which I like a lot. Changing subjobs so that you're better equipped to tackle the bosses is a key part of the game.
Yeah I'm definitely gonna have to change subjobs if I want to break them quickly. They were covering their magic weaknesses so I think one guy had sword and dagger and the other had lance and axe? Not exactly easy to hit 6 times.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
It's kinda like saying a scholar is useless when you don't equip any elemental attack... it's good that you don't need it so far because the game is great with letting you have multiple options in battle.
There are so many other options to heal with though. Out of all the base classes, Cleric seems like the most useless.

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
Thief's shackle foe and corrode armor is pretty useful, the former especially when your party is being OHKO'ed.

Also 2 dagger hits are always useful.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Just fought the runelord. I got him down to about 60k HP but he got me. Think I'll have to constantly shackle and leg trap him to win. The leg trap was working a treat but the second phase is complete bs and was KO'ing my party left and right. I couldn't keep up

There are so many other options to heal with though. Out of all the base classes, Cleric seems like the most useless.

How far are you into the game? You will need those AOE heals and revives later on.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished Olberic's chapter 3:
Was pretty cool when Olberic and Erhardt finally met back to back to fight together haha
But I found it strange how Olberic just forgives Erhardt after the fight, just before it he was saying that, although he was searching for it in his heart, he could not forgive him for what he had done, but after the fight he just accepts it and moves on to the other guy on the list? Hmmm was a bit strange for me, but really enjoyed this chapter.

After finishing all the chapter 2's I was feeling a bit dissapointed, but Olberic's and Alfyn's chapter 3's were pretty good, can't wait to see the rest!

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Thiefs wins that pretty handily.
Thief lets me do attack down and weakness physical, allowing Alfyn to come in and clinically remove all bodyparts. And then distribute SP when need be. Cleric defense buffs would be great, but they only target one person which is unfortunate. (I am unsure if there is a super move which lets you use skills on the whole party)

Just fought the runelord. I got him down to about 60k HP but he got me. Think I'll have to constantly shackle and leg trap him to win. The leg trap was working a treat but the second phase is complete bs and was KO'ing my party left and right. I couldn't keep up

How far are you into the game? You will need those AOE heals and revives later on.
Finished all story 4's for this team, now going around and doing all the level 50-55 Dungeons and any of the advanced job Shrines I come across.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I think the dancer might be the worst class if it wasn't for Bewildering Grace. Maybe it's because of Bewildering Grace...

TheRightDeal

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I think Dancer wins for worst class, plenty of other ways to pick up Dark damage and I've personally never used the buffs a ton. Bewildering Grace is its own category though.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I think the dancer might be the worst class if it wasn't for Bewildering Grace. Maybe it's because of Bewildering Grace...

Me after Primrose causes a full party silence, a full set of stat debuffs on my party, a thing that seals your items/concoct, and an explosion: It's the Bewildering Grace.

(Dancer has great passive abilities though!)

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Yeah I think Dancer wins for worst class, plenty of other ways to pick up Dark damage and I've personally never used the buffs a ton. Bewildering Grace is its own category though.
Peacock strut is pretty useful in conjunction with the Sorcerer elemental defense down and Clerics special move.

6x buffed spells on debuffed bosses does a pretty large amount of damage.

But once again like everyone is saying. The mix and matching in this game is designed well, there are so many combinations you can do that work well.

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Loving the battle music out in the chapter 2 areas. I know for sure I want Olberic, Ophillia, and Cyrus in my PT. I haven't decided who to use as the 4th.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Thief's shackle foe and corrode armor is pretty useful, the former especially when your party is being OHKO'ed.

Also 2 dagger hits are always useful.
Yeah, shackle foe and corrode are useful. But every other class has more going for it than two good support skills and a weak double hit skill. Most notably divines that are way better.

Therion's steal SP was my best ability through like all the chapter 2's.
It's easier to just use items or concoct.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
I'd really like to farm another Battle-Tested Blade (its physical boost applies to all weapons, and stacks with similar buffs—so OP), but it seems like an enormous pain in the ass, without even thinking of the 2% drop rate. Having to duel your way into the building every time adds so much extra time, even one-shotting the NPC.
Save and reload.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Re: last page: Dancer divine skill works on buffs? Damn -- I'd been meaning to try it out but the wording of the spell (it specifically says 'foes") made me think it wouldn't. This opens up a whole new ballgame.

Status update for me:

I've now finished four Chapter 2s. Tressa (MC) is Lv42, every one else is late 20s-30s except Cyrus who is around 20. Other notable achievements include getting Wizard's Staff and Forbidden Blade (I have enough for the Bow as well, and Staff but its worse than Wizard's). I've unlocked Warrior, Merchant, Dancer and Apothecary as subjobs now.

My basic route has been to travel clockwise doing all of the character's stories and then Tressa's next chapter ahead of time (so I'll be coming up on her third pretty quick here). Haven't been doing a ton of fast travel other than to do sidequests or where there isn't much point heading back by foot (from Goldshore back to Cobbleston after doing those those chapter 2s for example). Been able to do most of the side dungeons minus the Leviathan (I only gave it one try and said I'll come back). I arrange my party based on who I want to see interact in side dialogue more than anything.

It's cool to see all the ways people are playing since some are so different compared to me!

The Dink

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, shackle foe and corrode are useful. But every other class has more going for it than two good support skills and a weak double hit skill. Most notably divines that are way better.

Lol. Are you kidding? Therion was the heavy hitter on my team thanks to that move. Hits all enemies and scales with speed (on a Thief no less)? Shit is legit. Have a fast Merchant to give BP and he can kill every group of mobs in a single move well before you get the Sorcerer. I love the Thief class.

Cleric is the best class for activating Saving Grace and its ultimate is a huge factor in dealing the most damage possible during a break.
And in general, Boosted Revive is kind of nuts from a base skill power level.

Add onto those you can have the Dancer cast their ult to have Cleric make the whole group reflect magic boosted times. All the classes are great.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest reason I say Dancer is garbo outside of early game is because all the OP builds already use the perma-buff in Elemental Edge/Physical Prowess. So it's main purpose becomes dark damage which Runelord/Sorc do better, and Bewildering Grace. The ult is pretty decent though.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Get through the Gate of Finis, realize that I should have spent a lot more time on my other 4 party members LOL

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I love how passionately people can argue for nearly any party/subjob combinations in the game. To me that is good JRPG game design. There is zero consensus with regard to which characters and job assignments are most optimal, and that's awesome.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loving the battle music out in the chapter 2 areas. I know for sure I want Olberic, Ophillia, and Cyrus in my PT. I haven't decided who to use as the 4th.
In your case, I would go with the following:

Olberic with Warmaster: Access to every weapon type in the game, high HP and defense. Your all-purpose tank.
Ophilia with Starseer: Best healer in the game, and starseer will provide her with a decent multi-element attack spell and some useful buffs
Cyrus with Sorcerer: The ultimate doombringer. Access to every offensive elemental spell in the game. Can use Ophilia's divine cleric skill to effectively cast six spells per turn and break enemy defenses in a jiffy (or ruin the game by doling out 200K damage per turn).
Tressa with Runelord: Can use runelord skills to transfer elemental augments to other characters. When applied to high elemental attack characters like Cyrus or Ophelia, can absolutely wreck everything in the main game with standard staff hits doing anywhere from 30-50K damage provided you equip skills to break the damage limit. She can also transfer her merchant sidestep skill to make your party effectively immune to physical damage.

I've been using H'aanit instead of Olberic because she's close enough, and Therion instead of Tressa because I selected him as my main. Therion is really, really good for the bulk of the game, but I'm trying to sub him out with Tressa for the post-game because of her sidestep ability. His steal and share SP skills are great, but in the late game you'll have more money than you know what to do with and can easily afford to buy as much as SP recovery items as you want.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
How do you guys make thief do good damage? Granted my Therion is underleveled now but I benched him early as he seemed really useless compared to warriors and scholars.

What subclass works well with him too? I had him as an Apothecary but that seemed just as useless.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How do you guys make thief do good damage? Granted my Therion is underleveled now but I benched him early as he seemed really useless compared to warriors and scholars.

What subclass works well with him too? I had him as an Apothecary but that seemed just as useless.
Never figured how to do good damage with him as a thief outside of his divine. I just made him a cleric, with good equipment he was healing 2000+ HP with non-boosted Heal More and dealing pretty decent damage with fire and light magic.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

You use sp steal, once you get him maxed and unlock his divine his damage potential goes way up he starts off kinda suport heavy

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
For Thief class antics I've mostly been focusing on using SP Steal to do 2x dagger attacks to whittle down shields and help make them into SP batteries for other characters. Also debuffing and hoping the passive bonus attack procs.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Also I mostly just need help with a team for Ophilia's ch 3 boss. Need to swap around classes for quick breaks against sword/dagger and lance/axe.
Ophilia/Scholar, Cyrus/Merchant, Olberic/Hunter, Primrose/Cleric isn't cutting it.

Mostly need to swap Primrose I think, but I can't help but looking at classes like Thief and Apothecary that might help with breaking as dead weight otherwise.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
Clocked in at 72 hours, and I think I'm done.
Flawed as it was, the chapter structure gave me a sense of forward momentum and progression. I miss that post-game. Finding and beating the four subjob bosses was fun, but I'm struggling to find opportunities to utilize them. I know it's unrealistic to ask for more content in a game where I spent 70+ hours in, but the scarcity of areas for higher levels after the crew is fully powered up is a bit of a letdown. The final dungeon sounds like a big chore, and there doesn't seem to be much else.

I also tried to do as many sidequests as possible, but I disliked how random everything seemed. The clues are super vague most of the time; often I would have the quest items before I got the quest, getting them ten, twenty hours back. I got bored running around towns randomly looking for orange flags. Even though the rewards were often nice, none of the actual quests were particularly engaging either, which is a shame.

I was higher on the game before this last stretch; maybe I'll appreciate it a bit more upon later reflection. The battle system, music, and sprite work were all masterful, the ambition to do something different within a classic aesthetic was welcomed, but the game could have used another year for narrative content and design tweaks, IMO. 8/10.

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd advise against doing this too much. You might get burned out if your gear makes you too strong. And you might miss out on that feeling of reward that you get from completing a dungeon because you wind up getting a good weapon that is outclassed by the one you already stole.

eh, don't worry about me, if anything i get more excited when i see a better weapon to steal

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Dancer/Warrior is pretty fun
Stack some evasion equips and watch enemies miss her and get hit. Bonus points if you either break the enemy or set a status effect with the weapon. I guess it mostly works because she is my main char and she is always overleveled. Because countering doesnt take a turn she is still free to buff someone or even herself

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
It's been too long since the last time we had some music in here.

watch

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I am level 27 and finally found some cave
that stored the Thief subclass. Had no idea this is how you unlock other jobs....

I think I am really bad at RPGs sometimes. They always take me forever to beat cause of stuff like this

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
I am level 27 and finally found some cave
that stored the Thief subclass. Had no idea this is how you unlock other jobs....

I think I am really bad at RPGs sometimes. They always take me forever to beat cause of stuff like this

Haha. I had 4 characters and decided to explore towards the outside of the starting dount, from olberic town and I ended up finding the warrior subjob. I dont remember any npc hinting at that so no idea how we were supposed to find out

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Haha. I had 4 characters and decided to explore towards the outside of the starting dount, from olberic town and I ended up finding the warrior subjob. I dont remember any npc hinting at that so no idea how we were supposed to find out
yeah I guess its supposed to be a secret? dang... this would've made my life way easier

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just had a marathon chapter 2 boss battle accidentally ending with a party wipe by some crazy strong magic attack. Ouch. Gonna take like another 40 minutes to try that again!

This game is really fun though. The job stuff mixed with the battle mechanics make it more than a pretty thing.