• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 63832

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 14, 2020

Films with asian cast perform well, asian individuals do not. ...58 films have earned 5 or more nominations with no recognition for acting, and casts featuring asians and asian americans are over represented here, some have even won best picture. ...Yet 0 acting nominations, as if to say, they're great in spite of their actors.
(15:45)

I wanted to quote more lines, but the video is really worth watching entirely, especially how asian and asian american women have been treated in Hollywood throughout history (spoiler alert: not great).

Video is basically a follow up to their video about Oscar representation of black women a year ago: https://www.resetera.com/threads/os...y-of-halle-berry-be-kind-rewind-video.100490/.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
Another great video from her. This is easily one of my favorite channels on YouTube. She's a no-brainer subscription for anyone who's interested in old Hollywood, especially the actresses.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Considering the winner in Best Actress this year was from a film that literally nobody saw and garnered zero attention outside the lead performance - Awkwafina's snub is pretty unforgivable. It's been a category for years that has exposed what a lot of Hollywood actually wants out of a lead female performance.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
The story of Anna May Wong is upsetting, losing the role of The Good Earth must have been heartbreaking.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah that's a great point in the quote. The Farewell is amazing BECAUSE of the Asian people in and behind it. Awkwafina was great.

The film is on Prime in the USA by the way.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's a great point in the quote. The Farewell is amazing BECAUSE of the Asian people in and behind it. Awkwafina was great.

The film is on Prime in the USA by the way.

I'm scared to watch the film because I know I'll bawl like a baby through the entire movie.

Mcspooky

Oct 26, 2017
Hollywood does not like a lot of things... All I know is that anything that Awkwafina has been doing has been pure gold from my perspective.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
Most of the stuff the video covers is pretty well-known.

There is zero recognition for Asian women or men. It's downright racist when you only have one or two nominees every 50 years.

Last edited:

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Awkwafina is a bit over-exposed right now. She has been in so much recently (and is going to be in so much more in the very near future). Like it is kinda nuts how much she is getting work. And I mean, good for her, but I can't help but feel like everyone in town is just grouping around one (or two) go-to actresses instead of actually casting a wider net for Asian Americans in general.

OP
OP

Deleted member 63832

Banned
Feb 14, 2020
I feel like Awkwafina is a bit over-exposed right now. She has been in so much recently (and is going to be in so much more in the very near future). Like it is kinda nuts how much she is getting work. And I mean, good for her, but I can't help but feel like everyone in town is just grouping around one (or two) go-to actresses instead of actually casting a wider net for Asian Americans in general.

I get it, but its still a billion times better than casting white women to do "asian eyes" and win oscars for it.

The video and title are so much more than about her too.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Still baffled at Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon being the highest grossing foreign language film in USA history and none of the actors getting nominated. I mean, even BAFTA went out of their way to nominate Michelle Yeoh and Zhang Ziyi.

OP
OP

Deleted member 63832

Banned
Feb 14, 2020
Still baffled at Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon being the highest grossing foreign language film in USA history and none of the actors getting nominated. I mean, even BAFTA went out of their way to nominate Michelle Yeoh and Zhang Ziyi.

Just like Parasite winning so much, except the actors even being worthy of being nominated.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
Tony Leung has never been nominated for anything outside of Asia. Makes no sense.

EDIT: He won best actor at Cannes for In the Mood for Love, but that process is through the jury.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
It'll be interesting to see if Shang-Chi spurs a shift in terms of Asian presence in blockbuster filmmaking, or if it'll just be back to business as usual. I'm not optimistic, personally.

twinturbo2

Oct 27, 2017
Jupiter, FL
People keep looking the other way about her using a blaccent, so her continued success baffles me.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017

Sounds like it's time for hollywood remake; wuxia with guns.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Nope...she was still gold.. gotta work with what you they give you.
I love Awkwafina. I loved her when she was just an "underground" rapper in NYC. Her songs were hilarious.

I don't love all her personas. ESPECIALLY Ocean's 8 and Crazy Rich Asians...

I mean, in CRA at least you could make the argument she was trying to purposely portray someone overseas who didn't know about all the history behind black culture and wasn't trying to be a minstrel but instead was like Borat with a cowboy hat.

Ocean's 8................. meh. I'm not saying Asian Americans HAVE to all be a certain way, but her tone/behavior strayed a little bit too close to being ...ionno. Like, "oh this is funny because you don't expect <x> to be like <y>" except that <x> and <y> are stereotypes about behaviors of cultures/races.

I support her and I wouldn't boycott her work or anything. I just can't agree that she's gold in EVERYTHING she did in film.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The Farewell really deserved better. The real story behind it is also amazing

Would be an easy nomination for best picture if It was up to me.
I kind of wonder if there was also something going on with A24? That uncut gems also went completely unacknowledged was strange

divination

Oct 26, 2017
BKR is one of my favorite youtube channels and I always anxiously await her next video.

Glad she covered this topic as I just recently watched The Farewell and loved it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 63832

Banned
Feb 14, 2020
The Farewell really deserved better. The real story behind it is also amazing

I kind of wonder if there was also something going on with A24? That uncut gems also went completely unacknowledged was strange

A24 is just notoriously bad at doing the song and dance studios need to do to get their movies nominated during awards season.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Considering the winner in Best Actress this year was from a film that literally nobody saw and garnered zero attention outside the lead performance - Awkwafina's snub is pretty unforgivable. It's been a category for years that has exposed what a lot of Hollywood actually wants out of a lead female performance.
That's not a very good argument for an Awkwafina snub considering Judy made almost twice as much in the box office than The Farewell.

I can't really comment on either of them deserving or not deserving the nomination having not seen either film (Judy by choice, The Farewell because I was travelling the one week it played near me). But if Awkwafina is even half as good as the other A24 Oscar snubs (Sandler, Dafoe), she should have been nominated.

Last edited:

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
*mentions Nigeria's awkward positioning in foreign films*

nGMrD.gif

I still need to watch that film. It came and went too quickly. I was hoping it would get nominated to give it rereleases, but...

nacimento

Oct 27, 2017
Cho Yeo-jeong, playing the rich wife from Parasite, should have been nominated. She was exceptional.

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
Does the video talk about Maggie Cheung being criminally overlooked for years?