• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 14, 2021
Good on Will. You fuck up, you apologize, and then move on. Unfortunately for him comedians are gonna roast him for a long time.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Of course. Needless to say, my post history on Era is far from a comprehensive history of everything that I discuss or care about.
And yet you're here concern trolling and thread whining that people are giving this too much airtime in lieu of more important issues. Surely you can see how hypocritical you are being right now, and might want to make better use of your time.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe you just need to follow better news sources and not look at just trending topics on social media.

Seems less a "societal decline" and more a personal issue with how you consume the news.

I remember a great quote I read recently, "The way you talk about other people and the world doesn't really say anything about the world. Instead, it reveals what kind of person you are."

Its so true for this topic, which is pretty simple yet so polarizing. AI's could probably infer a LOT about people's personalities based on what they think about this situation, we are extremely predictable probably when you correlate a few simple data points like this.

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
- One Black man slaps another Black man for insulting his wife

"SOCIETAL DECLINE."
Uhhh, yeah, that image sits uneasy with me. I'm not concerned about the respectability angle of it though. Just hate seeing one brother (especially of that pedigree) put hands on another over some trivial shit in front of that large of an audience. Maybe it shouldn't bother me (and at first it didn't) but now I'm like, damn, he a real [expletive] for that. Especially when his actions are being framed as "protect black women" all over social media. Please, that is not "protecting" your lady. Fuck around and slap somebody like that in everyday life if you want to. You'll find out real quick. Especially as a black man.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
You can discuss multiple things on the internet simultaneously.

No. Only the highest trending topic on certain media platforms matter. If your topic isn't at the top of the front page of Etcetera I ain't interacting with it.

He's very fortunate he gets to fuck up, apologize, and move on. Most average people that fuck up this hard have a criminal record. You know, consequences.

Most? IDK I've seen a lot of people get slapped in my lifetime and there weren't any criminal records let alone charges involved.

We won't be talking about this silly shit a week or so from now anyway so it's whatever.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uhhh, yeah, that image sits uneasy with me. I'm not concerned about the respectability angle of it though. Just hate seeing one brother (especially of that pedigree) put hands on another over some trivial shit in front of that large of an audience. Maybe it shouldn't bother me (and at first it didn't) but now I'm like, damn, he a real [expletive] for that. Especially when his actions are being framed as "protect black women" all over social media. Please, that is not "protecting" your lady. Fuck around and slap somebody like that in everyday life if you want to. You'll find out real quick. Especially as a black man.
you not concerned about the respectability cause you have no shame

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Y'all need to stop using the corporate world as this righteous arbiter, especially not on a video game forum where we've seen multiple stories of abusers and assaulters keep their job. The fact is that you have no idea how every company would react to a situation.
Seriously. Trying to get all suit and tie to talk down to the "pleebs" like they simply must work at McDonalds if they think someone can get slapped at work is laughable. Corporate HR is more likely to cover shit up and make it go away quietly than any other institution.

I've personally seen heinous shit like attempted date rape swept under the rug and handled in arbitration, with no jobs lost.

Not true at all. On my local news website, the top story is a weather issue. Followed by multiple Will Smith related articles. And the top banner is a giant red button directing me to Will Smith's apology. This is one of the biggest news sites in Australia. This is not a me problem.

I'm conscious that my post may read like an over reaction. But I want to be clear that I'm just as disappointed when Kanye/Kim drama is aired out in news bites. No doubt that the slap is just another moment in a long line of ridiculous social media/news trends. But it is a strong example of how something important (for example, talking about the joke) is overlooked in favour of some dubbed memes.
I've been on the internet for the last 24 hours straight, and haven't seen a single Will Smith meme, or story, outside of my duties as an Era moderator. I don't know what's going on with Kanye and Kim either.

The shit just doesn't matter to me. I am literally unplugged from celebrity news, don't tell me it's impossible to avoid. Click 'Not Interested" a few times and it does wonders, I mean that with zero sarcasm.

A person getting slapped for disrespecting a man's wife is like the last thing I could possibly give a single teaspoon of care for right now. It happened on TV? Did that set a good example or a bad one? Who knows?

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
If this is the situation that you want to make a larger remark about regarding society's ills, to literally say that the social media fervor is a sign of that things are going downhill, beyond the fact people are simply terminally online, you do you. In general, I do my best not to let non-Black people's opinions of Black individuals matter all that much to how I feel about a given situation, especially if those individuals are white. We're human too and we deserve the freedom to fuck up, to get emotional, and to get checked, without people making every single instance some example of the White Man's Burden. We don't exist here to justify ourselves to people who obviously could not give a flying fuck about us, as exemplified by most people's post histories here.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I am also curious how people reconcile this belief that only the rich ever gets away with assault, and that such behavior would likely earn you a criminal record outside of Hollywood, and yet we follow the gaming industry where much more anonymous, much less successful white folks get away with outright sexual assault on the daily with the repercussions most of the time being a goddamn office shift.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
- Black people still being treated like shit the world over in general

"I sleep."

- One Black man slaps another Black man for insulting his wife

"SOCIETAL DECLINE."

laIYUYT.png

Phoony17

Oct 27, 2017
Narangba, AUS
Not true at all. On my local news website, the top story is a weather issue. Followed by multiple Will Smith related articles. And the top banner is a giant red button directing me to Will Smith's apology. This is one of the biggest news sites in Australia. This is not a me problem.

Let me guess, news.com.au or its localised State sites?

Half their stories are social media BS so not a good example.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
This is two long time friends doing the public dance and they've probably already hashed it out last night. Won't be surprised if we see them in some paparazzi shots having dinner and joking and then….

W's all around.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Criminal record for a single open handed slap? lol, okay.

I mean I'm not an expert but if streakers wind up with charges I'd imagine a normal person jumping on stage and slapping a performer would net you *something*.

Like probably community service and a court date and not much else... But like it's gotta be some kind of minor booking I'd imagine

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
Let me guess, news.com.au or its localised State sites?

Half their stories are social media BS so not a good example.

ABC. The red alert banner was Will Smith's apology this morning. I probably vented my frustration with it in the wrong way, but needless to say it was disappointing as that banner is generally reserved for the Ukraine-Russia liveblog that I have been watching intensely for weeks.

ceej

Mar 9, 2021
Reno, Nv.
This may have been discussed, but is it known whether Chris Rock is the one who wrote the joke?
Vanity fair article:
The "G.I. Jane" quip was an ad-lib not in the script, Mills added. The severity of the situation quickly became apparent when Rock and Smith both started swearing. "You started to realize this is real once Chris, who certainly knows the limits of broadcast standards, said, 'Will Smith slapped the shit out of me,'" Mills said. "That's when it became obvious that this was not a joke."

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Just hate seeing one brother (especially of that pedigree) put hands on another over some trivial shit in front of that large of an audience.

Where a lot of the disagreement is here is that many of us don't find what happened here trivial. Thats the sticking point. To many it seems it is, but I don't find it trivial at all, and Im not the only one.

Especially when his actions are being framed as "protect black women" all over social media. Please, that is not "protecting" your lady. Fuck around and slap somebody like that in everyday life if you want to. You'll find out real quick.

And this goes both ways. Go out in the real world and insult a man's wife like that for the second time in front of a large scale audience and you will find out real qui...

Well, I mean, he did find out didn't he?

I'll say this. I think you are a hell of a lot more likely to get the fire slapped out of you for repeatedly disrespecting on the streets than you are on stage in front of millions. So the 'everyday life' angle doesn't really move me in this scenario. If will slapped his ass here, he definitely would have done it on the corner 😆

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Idk how the mods do it man I'd be banning the fuck out of some of you.

Decline of Society - do hard time for a slap.

Some of you are so detached from reality and way too online

Jesus H

Empty Your Head

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 1, 2022
ABC. The red alert banner was Will Smith's apology this morning. I probably vented my frustration with it in the wrong way, but needless to say it was disappointing as that banner is generally reserved for the Ukraine-Russia liveblog that I have been watching intensely for weeks.

Literally just went to ABC and their news section has a banner at the top covering the Ukraine war. Had to scroll quite a bit on my phone to see the first Will Smith article. You really blew this "THEY'RE ONLY COVERING CELEBS! SOCIETY IS DYING" bullshit out of proportion.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That apology is honestly as perfect as one can be in that situation, anyone still clutching pearls is so far down the racism rabbit hole

threi

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Idk how the mods do it man I'd be banning the fuck out of some of you.

Decline of Society - do hard time for a slap.

Some of you are so detached from reality and way too online

Jesus H
between today and yesterday i had about 7 times where I had a post typed up, and just decided to just delete it and do something else.

If anything it has reconfirmed that a lot on this forum and me have been raised VERY differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.