• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Idolatress

Nov 19, 2020
So awesome to see. I remember how horrendous we were about this topic. In 2009, I had a nasty ex co-worker refer to another trans co-worker as "the Thing". That wasn't even that long ago. I hope kids today and in the future will have to endure less pain.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to Elliot!

I always enjoy watching his work, and wish for his continued success.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Might be a dumb question but if you referred to an older movie such as Juno, would you refer to them as "her" and "Ellen Page" or does their trans identity become retroactive?

Not a dumb question when asked sincerely. Always refer to trans people with their preferred pronouns, no matter if it's in the past tense. When you refer to them in that way, it's called deadnaming and it's very hurtful. They weren't suddenly "not" trans in the past, they were just not public about it.

Studge

Oct 25, 2017
Might be a dumb question but if you referred to an older movie such as Juno, would you refer to them as "her" and "Ellen Page" or does their trans identity become retroactive?
You should always use a person's current pronoun preference to describe their history, even if the events occurred before they came out as trans.

If you were trying to convey the information about his role in the movie as well as the credit name situation you could say something like, "Elliot Page starred in the movie Juno and was credited as 'Ellen Page' at the time of production."

I don't believe this counts as dead naming since it's just referring to the fact of how he was credited in the movie.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

Retroactive

I specially like wikipedia's guideline

Any person whose gender might be questioned should be referred to by the pronouns, possessive adjectives, and gendered nouns (for example "man/woman", "waiter/waitress", "chairman/chairwoman") that reflect that person's latest expressed gender self-identification. This applies in references to any phase of that person's life, unless the subject has indicated a preference otherwise. Avoid confusing constructions (Jane Doe fathered a child) by rewriting (e.g., Jane Doe became a parent). Direct quotations may need to be handled as exceptions (in some cases adjusting the portion used may reduce apparent contradictions, and "[sic]" may be used where necessary).

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
EoLIZW5W8AAfAE4

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
Is it weirdly ironic that, often wishing that I had been born female as I do, one of the games that I played that really fueled this feeling was Beyond: Two Souls?

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You should always use a person's current pronoun preference to describe their history, even if the events occurred before they came out as trans.

If you were trying to convey the information about his role in the movie as well as the credit name situation you could say something like, "Elliot Page starred in the movie Juno and was credited as 'Ellen Page' at the time of production."

I don't believe this counts as dead naming since it's just referring to the fact of how he was credited in the movie.
All above is correct.
IMDb does that for even things like people changing the spelling of their name or various things. It's done as
Current Name (as previous name), so in this case for records purposes it's Elliot Page (as Ellen Page).

anariel

Oct 27, 2017
So happy to see. Page has always been great, and seeing him being able to finally be himself publicly is so inspiring.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to him.

I always liked Ellen's acting, and I'm sure I'll feel the same way about Elliot.

Now I just gotta retrain my brain a little when talking about him in the future.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good for him. Hope this doesn't affect his ability to find acting work in any way.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Congrats.

Serious question. Could a company like Sony and Naughty Dog patch game credits?
I have seen game companies modify credits before. I don't think Naughty Dog ever did anything with them. Quantic Dreams did, and I'm... er... not sure that company would be one that would bother, I think.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
The people questioning Vanya seem to forget that Elliot Page is an actor. No reason they cannot continue to portray a character they've come to embody over two seasons of television. Vanya becoming trans would be a nice acknowledgement of Elliot's transition and if Elliot thinks its important I'm sure he'll press the issue. But like...Vanya can still be Vanya as portrayed by Elliot Page.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
I have seen game companies modify credits before. I don't think Naughty Dog ever did anything with them. Quantic Dreams did, and I'm... er... not sure that company would be one that would bother, I think.
Nah, it would only be for Beyond: Two Souls which is a one-off game that is old now. The name "Ellen Page" was never in a Naughty Dog game btw lol, you are just thinking of Ellie.

Oh my, I feel like an ass now.
But hypothetically, Beyond could.

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018
Good for them

I wonder how Vanya will be done, but the show has been pretty open to keeping Vanya around.

Congrats.

Serious question. Could a company like Sony and Naughty Dog patch game credits?

I assume it wouldn't be hard? It's basically a piece of text as long as it isn't hard coded onto the videos?

Might be more difficult for the marketing images.

The Climaxan

Oct 27, 2017
NC-USA
Congrats to Elliot.

This is going to help educate people in a big way. Elliot is a high profile individual. Hopefully their story will connect to folks who are well meaning but lack the proper education or exposure to trans issues.

Pangorogoro

Oct 31, 2017
In a similar case, Japanese actor Shiki Aoki came out as a transgender man earlier this year, and he announced he would be continuing his past roles, even if the majority of them were female characters because he was comfortable doing so.
I'd say it would depend on whether Elliot is comfortable continuing to play a female character whether the umbrella academy stays the same, but I could see them changing the character as well. It's just up to what he's comfortable with.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Does this make Elliott the highest profile trans person in the world? There's the potential for a lot of good to come out of this, but that's also an awful lot of pressure for one person. I hope everything turns out okay for him.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Good for them

I wonder how Vanya will be done, but the show has been pretty open to keeping Vanya around.

I assume it wouldn't be hard? It's basically a piece of text as long as it isn't hard coded onto the videos?

Might be more difficult for the marketing images.
It'd still cost money. Could happen of course but I gotta doubt it'll happen. Separate printed material like covers, etc though ain't happening of course which is another reason I doubt they'll bother.

Tomita

Oct 25, 2017
So happy for him. Hollywood desperately needs more trans men

I agree Hollywood needs more trans men! However, I gotta nitpick you. From the article:

Page uses both he/him and they/them pronouns, and describes himself as transgender and non-binary, meaning that his gender identity is neither man nor woman.

So it's not really proper to say Elliot is a trans man despite the masculine pronoun. He or they is trans non-binary instead.

I think at 8 pages it's probably too late to course-correct the thread, but tormented could you maybe edit the OP to explicitly say he identifies as non-binary? This thread has been pleasantly pretty good but I am seeing a few people stumble and assume Elliot fully identifies as male, which admittedly I did too until I saw that article quote.