• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good for him. Always been a favorite actor.

Im curious how this will effect the role of Vanya in Umbrella Academy S3.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
I remember lots of commentary back in the day along the lines of "Why doesn't Ellen Page dress more sexy and more feminine? We demand it!" from the Hollywood gossip machine. Now that they've come out as Elliot, it re-frames that whole thing as even more gross. Good for them for finally being able to be their real self.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
But I'm genuinely curious about the pronouns: "he" and "they" aren't really interchangeable right, so which one do you use? Or does it not matter?

For some people gender is fluid to a degree that they're comfortable with multiple pronouns. It kinda varies depending on the person, though, so it's best not to speak on their behalf.

I've often wondered this but don't want to put my foot in it. Grammatically those words don't work the same. 'He is over there' is singular, but 'they are over there' is plural. I need to look into this. Happy to use people's pronouns, but in my speech I am strict with my grammar so I need to understand this further.

"They" is both plural and a nominative singular pronoun. Such as in this example:

"My best friend from high school is famous now—too bad we didn't stay in touch after they moved to California."

Non-binary folks just take that common usage and make it more of a general pronoun. Grammar's always changed with the times, really.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First, congrats!

Second: Just for my understanding (and let me know if this isn't okay to ask), the spectrum is a big part of it, right?

So for example, Elliot identifies as he/him but is also non-binary - is that because he identifies more with one side of the non-binary spectrum than the other? I've not been able to find many resources explaining this.

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
I was super confused about the title for a second, until I read it again and again.

My mind kept reading it as Ellen Page.

But good for him! I can't wait to see the transformation.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they are going to write season 3 with this in mind, that would be great because the character was kind of boring in season 2 and putting some authenticity in it could go a long way.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
That's super cool. It's great that there's such a high-profile person coming out as trans. I'm sure it means a lot to transfolk who don't see much representation for themselves.

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
Good for him! Really excited to see what roles he's in going forward.

I've often wondered this but don't want to put my foot in it. Grammatically those words don't work the same. 'He is over there' is singular, but 'they are over there' is plural. I need to look into this. Happy to use people's pronouns, but in my speech I am strict with my grammar so I need to understand this further.

Happy for him and I did feel that this was a strong possibility of happening. I'm glad he feels comfortable enough to publicly talk about it. I hope it helps others.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020

Happy for him and I did feel that this was a strong possibility of happening. I'm glad he feels comfortable enough to publicly talk about it. I hope it helps others.
Singular they has existed since the 14th century. So you are not actually correct.

May 15, 2018
Denmark
As a fellow grammar nerd, I know it can be difficult to get used to but it helps with some history:

www.bbc.com

A brief history of gender neutral pronouns

Sam Smith asked fans to use they/them but history shows these pronouns aren't new in language.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
That's awesome. Congrats to him.

But I'm genuinely curious about the pronouns: "he" and "they" aren't really interchangeable right, so which one do you use? Or does it not matter?

Edit: the article address him as "he" so I guess it's just up to the person addressing him?
Think of gender like a venn diagram in this instance, Elliot Page lands where he and they overlap.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
That's awesome. Congrats to him.

If someone's identifying with more than one set of pronouns, then they're saying it's okay to use anything they've listed.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
This explanation doesn't really help? He identifies as being male and plural (like multiple personalities)?
Them isn't just a plural. It's pretty common to say something like "they're really cool" or "they've just gone to the shops" about a singular person. It's not new, but it is gender neutral.

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder how this will change Season 3. Is he thinking about physically changing? If so, I wonder how the writers will adapt to why Vanya look like a man now.

If he isn't changing the way he look, then I assume Vanya will still be a female?

Pangorogoro

Oct 31, 2017
Gaycation was the last thing I saw with him in it, and I really enjoyed it, I'm really happy for him! He'll continue to go far.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
First, congrats!

Second: Just for my understanding (and let me know if this isn't okay to ask), the spectrum is a big part of it, right?

So for example, Elliot identifies as he/him but is also non-binary - is that because he identifies more with one side of the non-binary spectrum than the other? I've not been able to find many resources explaining this.
I don't know if Elliot IDs as nonbinary and I don't want to speak on his behalf but it can spectrum of both identity and presentation. So Elliot may identify as nonbinary and present as masculine or identify as transmasculine nonbinary (for example I believe this is how Ian Alexander identifies). Or perhaps he is transmasculine and simply okay with they/them pronouns as well as he/him. There's a lot of different factors and it's very personal.

ultraluna

Jun 3, 2020
I'm so happy for him. His letter on Twitter was beautiful, and straight to the point: everyone spewing transphobia has blood on their hands.
Serious question: why the pronoun "they"?
They identify as non-binary. It may sound strange for people that speak very gendered languages like portuguese, french, spanish, where nouns and verbs change according to the gender, but you can and should get used to it.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For some people gender is fluid to a degree that they're comfortable with multiple pronouns. It kinda varies depending on the person, though, so it's best not to speak on their behalf.

"They" is both plural and a nominative singular pronoun. Such as in this example:

"My best friend from high school is famous now—too bad we didn't stay in touch after they moved to California."

Non-binary folks just take that common usage and make it more of a general pronoun. Grammar's always changed with the times, really.

I see. That isn't a form that is used where I am from. He/She would be used there almost always in my locality. Thanks

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how this will change Season 3. Is he thinking about physically changing? If so, I wonder how the writers will adapt to why Vanya look like a man now.

If he isn't changing the way he look, then I assume Vanya will still be a female?

I don't watch the show or know much about it, really. But that's more on Elliot to decide, I feel. If he wants to/is comfortable to play a female character, have the character be trans as well or opt to have the role re-cast with a female actress. Regardless of what happens, the showrunners cannot be the ones that have the ultimate say in this.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Got a friend currently working on 1UP. Not too sure if he met Elliot yet though.

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
I don't watch the show or know much about it, really. But that's more on Elliot to decide, I feel. If he wants to/is comfortable to play a female character, have the character be trans as well or opt to have the role re-cast with a female actress. Regardless of what happens, the showrunners cannot be the ones that have the ultimate say in this.
I hope Elliot stay, I love him in the show. I can't wait to hear the cast reactions to this wonderful news.

Oct 26, 2017
Man I feel this is kinda big. Especially since Elliot is probably the first celeb in the spotlight that I've seen come up thru the years. Man I still remember thinking they were gonna be a big deal after Hard Candy. Always been a fan of them on and off camera.