• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They should get Chris Nolan as exec producer. Not necessarily to do anything, just for the name recognition. It's strong enough to draw a lot of mainstream audiences despite his films usually being closer to scifi/hard scifi than most other mainstream films

That's actually not a bad idea.

Nolan's also got the clout to get the second film pushed through if the first underperforms.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
LOL what?

You think that Nolan simply telling the studio "Do it" if they take a $100m+ bath on the first film will see them saying 'Yeah, okay Chris!'

Nolan has serious clout at WB and he's one of the few genuine marque directors in the industry so if the receipts were soft he might have the clout to push it through.

It doesn't matter because this is all hypothetical regardless.

cmalex23

Avenger
Oct 10, 2018
ptmau4qeuo2pon8ucqfs.gif

This sounds better and better with each new news drop.

Came here expecting dancing Oscar. Not disappointed.

OP
OP
Scullibundo

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Nolan has serious clout at WB and he's one of the few genuine marque directors in the industry so if the receipts were soft he might have the clout to push it through.

It doesn't matter because this is all hypothetical regardless.
Bro. Nolan doesn't have the sort of clout to make a studio green light a sequel to a bomb that he's simply serving as producer on. Nobody does outside of a studio head.

If Battle Angel bombs, not even Cameron would have the clout to get the sequel greenlit as producer. And he's got more sway than Nolan.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bro. Nolan doesn't have the sort of clout to make a studio green light a sequel to a bomb that he's simply serving as producer on. Nobody does outside of a studio head.

If Battle Angel bombs, not even Cameron would have the clout to get the sequel greenlit as producer. And he's got more sway than Nolan.

Well, clearly it would depend on the variables. If the first film lost the studio hundreds of millions (think John Carter) then yes, nobody - not Nolan or anyone else - is going to push that through.

But if the film did middling and had a decent performance on video and streaming then somebody like Nolan might be able to get it through. (Probably with severe budget cuts and plenty of concessions)

Kommodore

Oct 27, 2017
Oh sweet mercy, this film is going to shatter the minds of everyone that sees it isn't it? I am so damn excited for this.

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
Why bring Nolan into this, Villeneuve is great on his own, guy has ballsy balls to try and make this coming from BR2049. Although great movie, one of the best movies of that year, it was not a commercial success as the marvel movies.

Most likely Dune will go the same, hopefully it breaks even at least (or make some kind of profit)

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hope this does better than BR2049
It is kind of weird that. He's taking on older projects that didn't really return their initial cost in full.

When they first came out, but he still got it green-light. He must have some sort of clout to get another big movie like this to make, though we don't know the budget this will have. For sure this will need a much bigger marketing budget and a creative at that to push into the mind space of movie goers.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Given how little it takes to get an r-rating I'd say that probably isn't the case.

That said, I don't remember as it has been ages since I read the book.
I think it is relatively pretty hard to get an R-rating these days if there is no gratuitous violence or nudity (which Dune doesn't really have much of).

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I mean, Dune's villain is an incestuous paedophile. The protagonist incites a religious war that's literally called a jihad over control of an invaluable resource.

I can easily see how it's R-rated.

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweet! Always pictured Leto a bit more 'European Royalty' looking but it makes a lot of sense. Haven't read the books in ages, how is he descripted in those?
Tall, olive skin, dark hair, hawk-like nose, or at least there's an allusion to Atreides having hawk-like profile later on, IIRC. Stern and charismatic.

Rayman not Ray

Self-requested ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
I'm nervous that this will be more Bladerunner 2049 than Arrival. I'm not sure if Dune is the kind of source material that allows you to dig deep into the characters. At least the book doesn't. And I've not been impressed with Villeneuve's work when he tries to go big. But I guess we'll see.

Oct 25, 2017
Big fear this won't perform well at all at the box office. Very worried we'll never see a second film. Difficult to make a lot of money off hard sci-fi movies. Dune is one of my favorite novels and Villeneuve is one of my favorite directors.

Well, technically it's not hard sci-fi like The Martian and Interstellar. But yeah, I wonder if they'll make a hit out of this.

Can't wait to see it though.

MadScientist

Oct 27, 2017
Well, technically it's not hard sci-fi like The Martian and Interstellar. But yeah, I wonder if they'll make a hit out of this.

The Martian and Insterstellar are more grounded and based on near future technology. Dune is very hard fantasy sci-fi with heavy political and religious themes. It's definitely a hard sell for widespread audience.

Hoping for the best though!

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Kind literally hard (as in difficult) scifi... Figure it is really hard to translate to film. Visually, not too bad, just need mostly desert and robed people wearing, uh, wet suits, plus mix in some futuristic buildings and one or two space ships. Plot is basically a revenge story, and not too bad in itself. But getting other stuff through... that's another matter.

Like, how does one communicate the feudal structure of the Imperium? Fiefdom's and why Arrakis is a trap? The deeper reasons behind the Harkonnen's plot? And what about the Kwisatz Haderach and the Bene Gesserit plotting, not to mention a subtler one in their everyday role in the Imperium? Or the Fremen and their desire for paradise, and the ecological theme of Dune? The spice allowing for hydraulic despotism? Or a million other things. While avoiding info-dumps, they don't work too well in film medium, in the book they're usually integrated rather well IMO, and occasionally are relevant due to being actually very important to the plot (such as the stillsuit, its importance to the Fremen, and how it truly enables their existence, which in turn feeds into their religion).

No doubt a lot of that can be cut, perhaps. Indeed it might be better to distill Dune down to very few things, though picking few things and focusing on them isn't necessarily simple either.

I expect the film will probably fail (commercially certainly, and as an adaptation probably, critically possibly divisive), as much as i like Villeneuves's films, but i'll be very interested and excited to see what he can do. I am enormous Dune fan and like Lynch's film quite a bit despite all its flaws.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Big fear this won't perform well at all at the box office. Very worried we'll never see a second film. Difficult to make a lot of money off hard sci-fi movies. Dune is one of my favorite novels and Villeneuve is one of my favorite directors.

I guess you're in luck then? Dune is as far from "hard sci-fi" as you can get. It has more fantastical elements than Star Wars. The entire Dune universe runs on worm-spunk magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.