• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Country has a new face... Er Mask

Combining the lulling ambiance of shoegaze with the iconic melodies and vocal prowess of classic American country music, outlaw cowboy, Orville Peck croons about love and loss from the badlands of North America. The resulting sound is one entirely his own - taking the listener down dusty rose-colored desert highways; through a world where worn out gamblers, road-dogs, and lovesick hustlers drift in and out of his masked gaze.

And he's also premiered a brand new music video with the legend SHANIA TWAIN, and his new album "Show Pony" just dropped.

Where To Listen
Spotify
Bandcamp
Apple Music

His music videos are a sight to behold as well, his love of film and Queer culture really elevate the medium and create unique experiences.

OP
OP
AliceAmber

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018

Summertime however is my personal favorite video. It really fits the melancholy I feel for this summer.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I find his songs a bit hit and miss, but I really like Peck's persona. No Glory in the West is probably my favourite song off the new album, despite the video being quite tame by his standards:

OP
OP
AliceAmber

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
He has a very interesting persona, I'm glad that the mask and costuming really don't overshadow his sheer talent.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I used to listen to a ton of country when I was a kid, and mostly stopped as I grew up, but I have a soft spot for Peck after AliceAmber introduced him to me. Great singer, very nice western twang.

Last edited:

Yoss

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Favourite song off the new EP is Drive Me, Crazy and then No Glory in the West. Pony was great, really looking forward to his next full length album.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
This guy is awesome. I love his whole aesthetic. Orville is transgressive in a way that feels culturally literate and substantial, because there's talent and a coherent set of influences behind the act.

Plus, he's got the chops to share the stage with a country legend like Shania Twain and not fade into the background. He's the real deal.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The EP is completely rad.

I was a little underwhelmed by Pony, if only because for every song that was amazing, there was another song that felt like a slight echo of the amazing song. Here though, everything is distinct and yet they all belong.

Fancy is just incredible. Might be the best song I've heard all year.

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
The EP is completely rad.

I was a little underwhelmed by Pony, if only because for every song that was amazing, there was another song that felt like a slight echo of the amazing song. Here though, everything is distinct and yet they all belong.

Fancy is just incredible. Might be the best song I've heard all year.

This one's a cover. A pretty good one though. "No Glory in the West" is my favorite from the EP. I'm not feeling the rest of the EP as much besides these two.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This one's a cover. A pretty good one though. "No Glory in the West" is my favorite from the EP. I'm not feeling the rest of the EP as much besides these two.
Aw, that's a bit of a bummer. Still a great song and cover though!

I think there's only one song that doesn't really work for me, but I haven't felt like skipping it when I throw the EP on. I'm not usually into country at all, so that might have something to do with it?

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
it's a fine EP. I sometimes wish he'd just go all-out with pedal steel/banjo or strings for a bit rather than this not-quite-Americana sound he's been at for a while but the songwriting is there.

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's really cool to see a thread on Orville here! I discovered him early last year, unfortunately a week after he played a show just a few minutes away from me. But I eventually saw him at THING Fest in Washington State and he puts on a great concert. Pony was my favourite record of 2019. If you had told me at the beginning of the year my favourite record would be a country album from a guy in a mask with a fake name, I wouldn't have believe you, but even with the gimmick he still released one of the most honest records I heard.

I listened to Show Pony a few times this weekend, it has some great songs too, though a few sound to me like Pony outtakes. But if he's willing to drop a song as good as No Glory In The West on an EP, I can't wait to see what he has in store for his sophomore album.

OP
OP
AliceAmber

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018

I remember when I first watched the video I think I replayed it 3 times. When his songs hit me they HIT.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Orville Peck for me is very hit and miss. Or rather, I need to be in the right mood for his music. But when I'm in the right mood his music can be very inspiring and hits my brain just the right way to get my own creative juices going.

I do think the primary theory of his real identity is interesting because it would show the depth of him as a performer because that's one unlikely origin story for the new mask of country.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
it's a fine EP. I sometimes wish he'd just go all-out with pedal steel/banjo or strings for a bit rather than this not-quite-Americana sound he's been at for a while but the songwriting is there.
Really have to agree with this. I don't mind the toe dip, but would love a full on swim. Wish he could combine powers with Charley Crockett's band if only for a couple tracks.

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
I caught Orville Peck last year at the Calgary Stampede. He was great! It worked out that the time I was in Calgary and the one day we could do the stampede was the same day Orville and Feist were performing. I can't imagine getting much luckier than that.

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
Let Me Drown showed up on my Spotify release radar today and blew me away. I think it's probably his best that I've heard so far.

Yoss

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Can't wait to listen to the full album, I've checked out the songs he released earlier. I have tickets to see him this summer with some friends and am really looking forward to it.

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
Appreciate the bump its been a while since I listened to Orville Peck. It was randomly seeing this thread that pushed me to listen to him and giving country music more of chance.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
Really enjoying Bronco, and I don't usually pay any attention to country music. Lots of catchy tunes and he's got a good voice. Pretty impressive tbh