• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

predict the metascore

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • 95-99

Votes: 155 9.9%
  • 90-94

Votes: 863 54.9%
  • 85-89

Votes: 453 28.8%
  • 80-84

Votes: 47 3.0%
  • 75-79

Votes: 8 0.5%
  • under 75

Votes: 13 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
back to 90 on opencritic too.

screen_shot_2020-03-1b9jer.png

Last edited:

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Is it recommended to play the first one before jumping into this one? Both are on GamePass for PC so it's as easy as downloading, just wondering what I should do.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Is it recommended to play the first one before jumping into this one? Both are on GamePass for PC so it's as easy as downloading, just wondering what I should do.
Its not needed for the story. Quick recap would do. But if you have the option to play it easy like you say on gamepass you should do it.
Because its a great game. And shows how big of a leap Ori 2 is also.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Its not needed for the story. Quick recap would do. But if you have the option to play it easy like you say on gamepass you should do it.
Because its a great game. And shows how big of a leap Ori 2 is also.

How long would you say Ori 1 is? From just the file size alone, there's quite a big difference from 3GB to 15GB.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Has the XB1 patch gone live? I want to get back to this game but decided to wait for the patch. I couldn't stand the hitching.

Oct 26, 2017
Really enjoyed it, ran into a few bugs but nothing too bad. Not going to try and 100% this because that dreaded "Don't die" achievement is back.

yurr

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 20, 2019
Stop acting like HK is the first of it's kind.

Ori came out in 2015 and this looks like a direct continuation with massive improvements. Besides, how could they "ape" HK when this started development in 2015, before HK was even released.
"My problem is that they shifted gears to hard in the other direction. They didn't have confidence in their own game or design. Ori came out and all anyone ended up talking about was Hollow Knight (rightfully so, it's a better game). But Ori 2 shifts hard in the direction of Hollow Knight and tbh, the design just isn't up to snuff."

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
"My problem is that they shifted gears to hard in the other direction. They didn't have confidence in their own game or design. Ori came out and all anyone ended up talking about was Hollow Knight (rightfully so, it's a better game). But Ori 2 shifts hard in the direction of Hollow Knight and tbh, the design just isn't up to snuff."

I definitely prefer Ori to HK. But honestly they're different types of games.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
I keep hearing the opposite. Kirk stressed it on Splitscreen as well. I'm just posting it because of all the static I was getting for saying it in the thread.
Ori2 is a lot of HK. I played an ungodly amount of HK. Ori2 has the best feature ever (which I found by mistake) - you can TP to a TP point from anywhere. I had spent my playtime running to them, but nope, just go to the map and you're off.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
So Ori is now crashing on me on startup (PC Gamepass) and I am in the final stretch. Anyone else having issues?

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
The music in this game, like Blind Forest, just takes me to another happy place. I feel like I'm on a plane travelling over seas and and watching a magical journey movie on the plane.

flyingsaucer

Feb 28, 2020
I noticed something strange: The PC user score on Metacritic has gone from 9.1 to 8.4 in the matter of 2 days or so, or maybe even shorter than that. Seems fishy to me. Almost like a raid of some sorts...

8oQ7chX.png

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
Has the XB1 patch gone live? I want to get back to this game but decided to wait for the patch. I couldn't stand the hitching.

Any updates on this? Normally I don't patch beg (did I just invent that phrase?) but I cannot recently recall an instance where a game's amazing potential being consistently dragged down for A/V and stability issues :(

jobbe1978

Jan 18, 2018
Italy
I'm 41. An English teacher.

3 hours ago I finished this game. Well, game isn't correct. GAME sounds better.

I found myself in tears at the end..I can't understand what it means to spend 4 years of your life building such an amazing work of art like that.

Huge, huge and, again, huge congratulations to thomasmahler and all the team at Moon Studios.

Thank you for giving us this Story.

Deleted member 61326

Banned
Nov 12, 2019
Finished the game this afternoon at about 90% completion on normal. Great game, just like the first. Difficult but fair platforming. Never liked boss fights where you had to fight, much preferred escape sequences. Only negative was the surprisingly bad performance on Xbox One X. Frame rate was all over the place, stuttering, very often the game would simply just hang for a few seconds when an area was loading. Opening the menu/map could take 3-5s.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
I'm 41. An English teacher.

3 hours ago I finished this game. Well, game isn't correct. GAME sounds better.

I found myself in tears at the end..I can't understand what it means to spend 4 years of your life building such an amazing work of art like that.

Huge, huge and, again, huge congratulations to thomasmahler and all the team at Moon Studios.

Thank you for giving us this Story.
Thank you for these lines, means the world to us.

May 16, 2018
Besides the technical issues, this is truly a perfect game IMO. MetroidVanias are everywhere, but this really sticks out despite that. Finished it last night and know i have to comb the map and collect everything I missed

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
twitter.com

Xbox on Twitter

“The critics have spoken and we couldn’t be more thrilled. Play Ori and the Will of the Wisps today: https://t.co/bv7qiyDoYM https://t.co/DZRKStjw2a”

Accolades trailer. Must be awesome to see as a dev - congrats again to the team at Moon! The game is incredible.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Besides the technical issues, this is truly a perfect game IMO. MetroidVanias are everywhere, but this really sticks out despite that. Finished it last night and know i have to comb the map and collect everything I missed

The nagging technical problems are a bummer, because I suspect this game would have been universally hailed as a masterpiece otherwise, and probably bumped their overall opencritic/metacritic at least another 3-4 points.

Still an incredible game that got mostly glowing reviews anyhow of course, but just odd to launch with so many technical issues after already being delayed a few times.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
I noticed something strange: The PC user score on Metacritic has gone from 9.1 to 8.4 in the matter of 2 days or so, or maybe even shorter than that. Seems fishy to me. Almost like a raid of some sorts...

8oQ7chX.png

IDK about PC version but the original Xbox version runs very badly. Full game stutters, art is really blury sadly, and worst of all even pushing through allof the technical mess I cant get past a boss
Spider
because the game freezes during the fight. After redownloading, full restarts of my Xbox 8 times, its fixed nothing. This game went from one of my most looked forward to games this year to easily one of the worst gaming experiences I have had in recent years. There is a good game hidden somewhere in all of its mess but it means nothing if you can't play it. I think other users are starting to experience all of these issues. I just want to play the game, and even after whenever a patch gets released I am still going to remember those 6 painful hours and frustration of it not working.

Art Examples from screenshots while playing:

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Holy shit finally got to a part where I started to regret doing my first playthrough on Hard. It was the damn
big ass spider boss
. It took me like 3 solid hours but once I got into the zone I barely even got touched by him on the final successful attempt. Such a dope feeling to kick his ass! And on a side note, it's insane how much better this game is than the first one, it's truly remarkable. Well done to all involved!!

May 17, 2018
IDK about PC version but the original Xbox version runs very badly. Full game stutters, art is really blury sadly, and worst of all even pushing through allof the technical mess I cant get past a boss
Spider
because the game freezes during the fight. After redownloading, full restarts of my Xbox 8 times, its fixed nothing. This game went from one of my most looked forward to games this year to easily one of the worst gaming experiences I have had in recent years. There is a good game hidden somewhere in all of its mess but it means nothing if you can't play it. I think other users are starting to experience all of these issues. I just want to play the game, and even after whenever a patch gets released I am still going to remember those 6 painful hours and frustration of it not working.

Art Examples from screenshots while playing:

Absolutely. Played through main game on pc in 4k 60fps running sounding and playing like a dream. Loved it. Used cloud save to go on Xbox and mop up collectibles and the performance on original is awful. I go too fast and the levels can't be drawn in fast enough so I've got stuck in scenery before ! Also lots of achievements not popping even though ive done all the requirements

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely. Played through main game on pc in 4k 60fps running sounding and playing like a dream. Loved it. Used cloud save to go on Xbox and mop up collectibles and the performance on original is awful. I go too fast and the levels can't be drawn in fast enough so I've got stuck in scenery before ! Also lots of achievements not popping even though ive done all the requirements

Yah I am baffled how that version was released. I don't have a PC that can play it like you can, but if they released the PC version and delayed the X1 version from the start I would of been totally fine with that. I would rather play a game I can enjoy it for what it was designed to be versus what we have on OG Xbox currently which is just bad. Now I will always remember the bad even if they patch into a fantastic state.

State of Decay 2 fell into a similar boat. I played it at launch. I did like what was there but the game was so badly optimized that I dropped it after a week. I hear now it is a great game to play but I am burnt from the launch verison to even try again.

Apr 19, 2018
Holy shit finally got to a part where I started to regret doing my first playthrough on Hard. It was the damn
big ass spider boss
. It took me like 3 solid hours but once I got into the zone I barely even got touched by him on the final successful attempt. Such a dope feeling to kick his ass! And on a side note, it's insane how much better this game is than the first one, it's truly remarkable. Well done to all involved!!

It's a 'her', actually. ;)

MasterC12TF

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I believe it was this thread but I didn't create an account yet; there were some reviewers being bullied I think into having to change the scores because they mentioned technical difficulties which were supposedly fixed by a day one patch.

I just saw a digital foundry video confirming that even after the patch, there are still technical difficulties and frame drops even on Xbox One X.

Would it be fair that reviewers deduct some points? I mean, if you have to give it a higher score because technical problems were supposedly fixed, then sure; you can deduct points if that turns out to be fake? I would love to get the publishers' perspective on this.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing that OpenCritic image further above just makes me happy - I think 2020 will be a great year for gamers :)

Do you have anything to report regarding the game's numerous technical issues? Clearly that patch wasn't enough.

If you're not at liberty to say, I understand.

I'm looking forward to playing WotW once I hear that the game has been fixed completely. đź‘Ť

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Besides the score averages from Metacritic and Opencritc (which again... congrats Moon!), I think this is a pretty amazing "number" too.

g7NDAPK.png

I wish the steam version was for sale on the Humble Store though so I could do a giveaway for a copy or two.

MasterC12TF

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 31, 2020
It's just weird: basically developers are saying:

"don't take into account performance issues for our game when you need to give a score, they are fixed in the day one patch"
-which are then not fixed. The developer especially will know 100% what will, and what will not be fixed in the day one patch as they are the one who created the patch and the game.

so the scores that everybody is so happy about, are based on the assumption that the game does not have technical errors. Which is why the scores as they stand now, are false :-)

Don't get me wrong, the game is amazing and all but how it was reviewed is a trend which should end better sooner than later.
Either revisit the score later, or score it based on reality, not promise

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
The game was re-reviewed on Gamespot with the Series S|X update, giving the game a 9/10. The original release scored 8/10 on the site.

Will of the Wisps was always an impressive visual showpiece, despite the technical flaws that initially held it back. It's more straightforward, combat-heavy flow may still put off die-hard fans of the original Ori, but there's that's a small nitpick for a game that retains its identity while finding a new flow. Most importantly for the Series X and S upgrades, next-gen hardware turns one of Will of the Wisps' original weaknesses into a point of pride, and that's worth celebrating.

Which was also the 4th review needed to get the game a Metascore for the Series X:

Ori and the Will of the Wisps

The little spirit Ori is no stranger to peril, but when a fateful flight puts the owlet Ku in harm’s way, it will take more than bravery to bring a family back together, heal a broken land, and discover Ori’s true destiny. From the creators of the acclaimed action-platformer Ori and the Blind...