• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

predict the metascore

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • 95-99

Votes: 155 9.9%
  • 90-94

Votes: 863 54.9%
  • 85-89

Votes: 453 28.8%
  • 80-84

Votes: 47 3.0%
  • 75-79

Votes: 8 0.5%
  • under 75

Votes: 13 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
I honestly will never understand people complaining about Ori having imprecise movement - Ori is designed around players moving with a certain flow, just look at what the speed runners and people who perfect the controls can do. Technically, Ori's movement is a couple of magnitudes more complex than Hollow Knight, which is really quite simplistic. But I completely acknowledge that everyone has their tastes and those are always quite subjective :)

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Long and short of it is that right now the pc version is your best bet for a smooth experience (post day one patch), while all XBO sku's still have issues. If you can only play on xbox I'd wait for more patches, because honestly this game deserves to be played in the best way possible. If that drags down the MC it's deserved, but I think anyone who was interested in this is going to give it a shot whether if it's 89 or 90. This 'prestige' thing at 90 is so warped and doesn't matter, I think anyone can name a bunch of 80+ games they've enjoyed more than what's at 90+. Review discussion would be a lot more tolerable without the MC average obsession.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Glad I've not played HK so I can't even begin to form an opinion.

I like this game, it's very good.

Also, on the 'floaty' feel, eh? When I fuck up it's cos I fuck up, not because the game isn't precise.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly will never understand people complaining about Ori having imprecise movement - Ori is designed around players moving with a certain flow, just look at what the speed runners and people who perfect the controls can do. Technically, Ori's movement is a couple of magnitudes more complex than Hollow Knight, which is really quite simplistic. But I completely acknowledge that everyone has their tastes and those are always quite subjective :)
To be fair, I don't think that "speed runners can do it, why can't you" has ever been a very good defense against a critique towards a game.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Long and short of it is that right now the pc version is your best bet for a smooth experience (post day one patch), while all XBO sku's still have issues.
I just finished the game on PC gamepass and I've had a ton of slowdown issues throughout the game with the sound being shit at times.
I love the game but I think saying it's a smooth experience isn't necessarily true for most people even on PC. I'd honestly recommend most people to wait for patches for every platform,PC included.

ChristianM

Mar 21, 2018
Sweden
Ori vs Hollow Knight is such a useless discussion. Hollow Knight is great, Ori is great and it turns out Ori 2 also is great.

Can't we have two great game series in (somewhat) the same genre?

thomasmahler

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
To be fair, I don't think that "speed runners can do it, why can't you" has ever been a very good defense against a critique towards a game.
Not at all, but there's a reason why Will of the Wisps movement is similar to Blind Forest, cause we spent a lot of time perfecting the controls, really trying to create a character controller that is second to none. Ori is built around fast movement that drives players to learn the flow of the game. Older games stopped momentum on a dime, the controllers in games like SOTN or Hollow Knight are really quite simplistic in terms of design. Maybe that makes some people feel like the games are more methodical? If you do have the Ori controls down, you should easily be able to make pixel perfect jumps and that can easily be seen in videos of players that play at a high level.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ori really plays perfect in my opinion. The game is amazing.

Sadly I have so many FPS drops and stuttering on my RTX 2060, while GPU usage is only 20% or so same with CPU and audio issues as well :/ I hope you guys can fix that.

Deleted member 1594

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't we have two great game series in (somewhat) the same genre?
BuT oRi 2 COPied HOlLoW kNIGhT thouGH.

Yeah... it's a pretty tired discussion. I love all 3 games. I think I'd rate them Ori 2 > Hollow Knight > Ori 1. Each game is a 9/10 or higher for me.

I'm having a blast on hard though. It's not as bad as I thought it would be. Just gotta play more carefully. Can't be too reckless.

flyingsaucer

Feb 28, 2020
Metacritic PC User score is looking good :)

tWs1hvS.png

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Ori is a bit floaty but is also incredibly precise. If you mess up a jump, it's 100% your fault. Platforming is also arguably (and significantly imo) easier in WotW due to how many options you have and certain skills being available super early into the game.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Hollow Knight is a good game overall, and one that's dripping with atmosphere and filled with great, challenging boss fights. It's also an absolute steal at it's asking price. But I think it's stuck being a Metroidvania/Souls hybrid and neither sides of it really satisfy me due to its pacing. It doesn't have the quick pacing of new abilities that I crave from Metroidvanias, nor does it have the tight pacing of Souls world design to efficiently funnel the player to the best parts of combat. It's a lot of wandering around without having much to find or many interesting things to fight in succession, and that wore on me. I think I found more abilities in the first three hours of Ori 2 than I did in the first 15 hours of Hollow Knight. That pacing is a huge turn off for me in a game with Metroidvania-style design.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I just finished the game on PC gamepass and I've had a ton of slowdown issues throughout the game with the sound being shit at times.
I love the game but I think saying it's a smooth experience isn't necessarily true for most people even on PC. I'd honestly recommend most people to wait for patches for every platform,PC included.
That's interesting, with the most recent patch? Most people in the OT are positive about the pc version, but I guess it's not smooth for everyone then.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I'm not sure I see the connection between the complexity of the controller and the precision of the movement. The people who love HK's controls generally love how The Knight reacts instantly to whatever input you put in and doesn't have much momentum. Obviously that's not the only way to make a platformer, but it works great in HK.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
I think ori has some of the finest 2d movement in existence. I look at will of the wisps and then, say, at sonic mania and I have no idea how the latter made it through with glowing reviews, this is just leaps beyond practically all games in terms of precision and flow, for me at least. Every ability you get just speeds things up even more and it's incredibly satisfying to zoom through areas you previously had a hard time with.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
The only problem I had with the movement was inching towards my enemy when swinging my sword, or the finnicky aim of the spirit arc in the air. would have loved to be able to manipulate my aim independent of my movement.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Ori doesn't actually feel that momentum driven to me. He reaches full speed on the ground almost instantly, and abilities like dash and bash are fixed distance. He has a hard time fully reversing a jump direction, but that's about it. Ori's physics are on the wispier side (longer jumps but not as high), but I enjoy that and the game feels extremely precise imo.

flyingsaucer

Feb 28, 2020
Meristation 9.2/10

IGN Japan 9.0/10

True Gaming 9.5/10
www.true-gaming.net

ترو جيمنج Ori and the Will of the Wisps - مراجعة

خير تكملة لواحدة من أجمل التجارب هذا الجيل

Game Over Online 9.7/10

Daily Star 5.0/5.0
Are these all new? There might be hope for 90 yet

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not at all, but there's a reason why Will of the Wisps movement is similar to Blind Forest, cause we spent a lot of time perfecting the controls, really trying to create a character controller that is second to none. Ori is built around fast movement that drives players to learn the flow of the game. Older games stopped momentum on a dime, the controllers in games like SOTN or Hollow Knight are really quite simplistic in terms of design. Maybe that makes some people feel like the games are more methodical? If you do have the Ori controls down, you should easily be able to make pixel perfect jumps and that can easily be seen in videos of players that play at a high level.
A big part of the frustration I felt in Ori 1 is that it does control dramatically different at a fundamental level than any of the 2D games I've mastered before. Imagine you're playing Mario, and you keep ramming headfirst into the first goomba, and you can't stop doing it, even though you've beaten 100 Mega Man games before so you know that you must have have 2D gaming skill. Even when you try to jump over it, the arc behaves all weird and the momentum accidentally steers you right back into the goomba's butt. I know not to run into that goomba, I'm trying, but the controls are just so off that it keeps happening.

It's not that the goomba is some super well designed difficulty device that you have to overcome. It feels more like overcoming the controls while the level and enemy design in general is very basic. That's how I often felt playing the game. For instance the first time I saw a laser in Ori (I think there were two floors with a laser each) I jumped directly into it nearly ten times before finally getting past. In any other gameplay system it would be a very simple obstacle I'd easily jump past on first try. 10 hours into Ori 1 I felt much more comfortable, although there were still multiple elements that made the game feel imprecise, such as Ori being magnetized to cling to walls, and being unable to land on narrow platforms (those pegs that you have to ground pound in order to open doors usually take me 3 or 4 jumps before I can land on them).

Maybe all of that is me just not being used to the gameplay feeling, but I've played 50 different 2D gameplay systems, and none of them were so fundamentally aggravating. It could totally be a thing that just didn't mesh with something in me personally, I don't know. I apologize for the long and whiny post, didn't mean for it to be so long. It's difficult to describe this sort of thing, and it's also frustrating to describe it and then be told "nope you're wrong it's actually perfect and shits on the thing that you enjoy", which is usually the response I get when I say anything negative about the gameplay in Ori.

For the record I still think the game is really good - after all I was this frustrated with it, yet I still pushed to the end. Normally I have no problem dropping a game if I'm not into it.

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it is a little bit more simplistic in Hollow Knight. And that's good actually. Maybe this is one of the many reasons why Hollow Knight plays and feels much better than Ori. More simple is sometimes the better choice in gaming.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
Ori is a light spirit being. With skill people can quickly glide through the amazing environments. Movement in Ori is about the last criticism I would expect. It's just great. I know these things are subjective but really?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it is a little bit more simplistic in Hollow Knight. And that's good actually. Maybe this is one of the many reasons why Hollow Knight plays and feels much better than Ori. More simple is sometimes the better choice in gaming.
In general I want 1:1 button controls. I want to feel like I am the character, rather than feel like I'm guiding the character. This is part of why I love games like Mega Man X and MGSV, and have such frustration with games like Witcher 3 or Little Big Planet.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Imprecise controls? We must be playing a different game. Moon absolutely nailed the feeling of weight, momentum and agility in this series.

It's useless to compare this game to more methodical platformers because they have fundamentally different goals when it comes to locomotion.

When Playing Ori, it feels like I'm artistically slicing through butter... since the first game, I've been pretty amazed at how they managed to take a system so heavily dependent on auto-lock, but still require precision and skill to progress.

My only complaint about the controls is 'Bash' and 'grapple' being mapped to the same button... I don't know what else could have been done besides moving the attack selection screen to the menu, and using LT for gameplay, but that wouldn't have been perfect either.

Aug 25, 2019
I have only played the intro but this is one of the most beautiful games i've ever played. The colours are so vibrant and pop so well. It's gorgeous

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
It's wild to see people say the game is floaty or imprecise. It's one of my favorite games to control in a long time. It just feels so good. I feel like I can do absolutely everything I want to with little difficulty. That's why I enjoyed the little races so much (although as a small complaint, I wish the ghost was a bit more transparent because I sometimes got it confused with my character).

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco

The movement in Ori definitely takes some adjustment after playing a LOT of Hollow Knight.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
Yeah, I feel like this game is my jam, then, controls feel so goooood. I feel like I have to post and Say it because some people are saying the opposite.

I don't think I've ever played a game so fun to control.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017

The game, the movement and how it plays is perfect imo. All the commands and buttons layout are perfect too. I have finished the first one more than 10 times and just finished this one. It's precise and amazing to play.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

You definitely should not pay much attention to anyone saying anything negative about movement and controls in Ori 2. Honestly the feel of movement and motion in the game is just so dang enjoyable. Top tier stuff.

Mungan

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
User Banned (1 Day): Drive-by trolling, account in junior phase
This circle jerkery is pretty creepy

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
I love the controls in Ori. It also looks amazing in motion. I think playing the first one definitely made me better in the second one, and that is a good thing as it feels like I am mastering the controls.

thomasmahler

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
A big part of the frustration I felt in Ori 1 is that it does control dramatically different at a fundamental level than any of the 2D games I've mastered before. Imagine you're playing Mario, and you keep ramming headfirst into the first goomba, and you can't stop doing it, even though you've beaten 100 Mega Man games before so you know that you must have have 2D gaming skill.

Yeah, but that doesn't really mean much. Just because you're good at Street Fighter doesn't mean you're automatically good at Virtua Fighter. There is no inherent lag in Ori's controls - we labored over the controls to be as tight and pixel perfect as possible and I think you can see that when you see people doing no-damage runs where they just land pixel perfect on every platform without any TAS thing going on. That's why I just can't agree when people throw out something like 'imprecise controls'.

Some people preferred Mortal Kombat 1 when Street Fighter 2 was out even though SF2 was clearly more sophisticated in every way - so even if we do things completely right, there'll always be people who like something else better and that's okay, but just don't tell me it's an objective truth. We labored over this stuff for almost a decade and the Ori controls are very, very sophisticated, believe me.

And once again, all opinions are valid. Some people like this, others like that. And that's okay.

TraBuch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone else having any problems being able to differentiate whats in the background or not? There's just so much that art I find myself constantly walking into enemies and spiky plants and shit, not even seeing them.

Maybe I'm just getting old.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ori plays and moves perfectly. I've said it multiple times now my only gripe has been the performance.

Jafin

May 26, 2018
Ireland
Wait, there is a new patch? I'm still on version 1.0.4414.0 that's the recent version for me...

Edit: oh yes there is a new version, downloading it now.

Is there a way to force check for an update? My version is 1.0.4193.0 and was last updated with the day one patch. Xbox Game Pass for PC isn't prompting me to download any updates for the game. Honestly the performance is the only thing that's stopping me playing it more.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but that doesn't really mean much. Just because you're good at Street Fighter doesn't mean you're automatically good at Virtua Fighter. There is no inherent lag in Ori's controls - we labored over the controls to be as tight and pixel perfect as possible and I think you can see that when you see people doing no-damage runs where they just land pixel perfect on every platform without any TAS thing going on. That's why I just can't agree when people throw out something like 'imprecise controls'.

Some people preferred Mortal Kombat 1 when Street Fighter 2 was out even though SF2 was clearly more sophisticated in every way - so even if we do things completely right, there'll always be people who like something else better and that's okay
I'm not talking about proficiency though, I'm talking about I literally cannot stop running into basic obstacles. The obstacle is clearly not meant to be a difficult challenge to over come, just as a goomba is not meant to be difficult to jump past; the difficulty is supposed to come from goombas being arranged in creative ways with the level design. Ori has things that should be easy to jump right past it and I can't. This was my experience with the game. I don't personally care if there are people who can speed run the game or do no damage runs. That does not help me. I can do a no damage, S-Rank, hard dificulty run of Mega Man Zero, but that does not invalidate the people who get frustrated by its arcane difficulty.

I believe that the controls were heavily labored over and are super sophisticated and all that, but to be frank that doesn't make my experience with the game any different. Practically every game has a gameplay philosophy and devs who strove to meet it. For instance Naughty Dog put a ton of time and effort into Uncharted's gameplay, but the fact that they magnetized Drake to walls is still very annoying regardless of how many hours they put into making it happen, just as it's very annoying that Ori is magnetized to walls even though I'm sure that was intensive to implement.

As I've stated - it's perfectly fine that I don't enjoy the gameplay. Not every game is for everyone, and I am not saying that the game necessarily needs to fundamentally change. But I do reserve my right to state my experience, and if my opinion is engaged with then I'm happy to continue the conversation as I have done in this thread.

EDIT: Just now finished off Ori 1! Overall enjoyed it and excited to start up Ori 2. :)

Last edited:

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I'm not talking about proficiency though, I'm talking about I literally cannot stop running into basic obstacles. The obstacle is clearly not meant to be a difficult challenge to over come, just as a goomba is not meant to be difficult to jump past; the difficulty is supposed to come from goombas being arranged in creative ways with the level design. Ori has things that should be easy to jump right past it and I can't. This was my experience with the game. I don't personally care if there are people who can speed run the game or do no damage runs. That does not help me. I can do a no damage, S-Rank, hard dificulty run of Mega Man Zero, but that does not invalidate the people who get frustrated by its arcane difficulty.

I believe that the controls were heavily labored over and are super sophisticated and all that, but to be frank that doesn't make my experience with the game any different. Practically every game has a gameplay philosophy and devs who strove to meet it. For instance Naughty Dog put a ton of time and effort into Uncharted's gameplay, but the fact that they magnetized Drake to walls is still very annoying regardless of how many hours they put into making it happen, just as it's very annoying that Ori is magnetized to walls even though I'm sure that was intensive to implement.

As I've stated - it's perfectly fine that I don't enjoy the gameplay. Not every game is for everyone, and I am not saying that the game necessarily needs to fundamentally change. But I do reserve my right to state my experience, and if my opinion is engaged with then I'm happy to continue the conversation as I have done in this thread.
Huge platform fan here, put hundreds of hours in to the likes of Celeste, Super Meat Boy, N+, Shovel Knight, never mind other Metroidvanias like Axiom Verge and Hollow Knight.

And Ori controls like an absolute dream to me. There are so many ways to move around, especially as you unlock more powers/moves - almost makes moving through the environments become an artform - it's beautiful. All that whilst still keeping the controls super responsive and combined with twitch platforming. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but in this case I'm uniquely flabbergasted that anyone could be anything but impressed in this regard.

Deleted member 1594

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mostly recently played Ori 1 on Switch. I don't know what the issue was, but for me there was a weird acceleration when I jumped. If I pushed the stick a little in the air, Ori wouldn't move much. But if I pushed the stick a little bit more, suddenly he'd move a ton and it felt like I couldn't quite get precise jumps down because of it. Felt like flying a kite more than precision platforming.

Maybe something is up with my switch joycons I dunno.

That said, Ori 2 on PC feels miles and miles better.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I mostly recently played Ori 1 on Switch. I don't know what the issue was, but for me there was a weird acceleration when I jumped. If I pushed the stick a little in the air, Ori wouldn't move much. But if I pushed the stick a little bit more, suddenly he'd move a ton and it felt like I couldn't quite get precise jumps down because of it. Felt like flying a kite more than precision platforming.

Maybe something is up with my switch joycons I dunno.

That said, Ori 2 on PC feels miles and miles better.
Ori being floaty is intended

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited: