• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

predict the metascore

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • 95-99

Votes: 155 9.9%
  • 90-94

Votes: 863 54.9%
  • 85-89

Votes: 453 28.8%
  • 80-84

Votes: 47 3.0%
  • 75-79

Votes: 8 0.5%
  • under 75

Votes: 13 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

tenor.gif

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
I can confirm the patch is great. I revisited some trouble spots after the day 1 Patch to finalize my review and they ran perfectly.

Also side note, I'm 100 plus reviews in my career and I'm pretty sure the score we are publishing for this in a couple of hours is one of, if not the highest score I've ever given out.

I can't wait to see other people dive in and experience it.

If that patch hadn't worked, would it have changed your score? I hope other publications do take improvements into consideration.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
added to the OP

Newsweek (no score):
Overall, Ori and the Will of the Wisps is a masterpiece in game design. You can really tell that each ledge, spike or falling rock has been placed with care and a desire to make a good game. If you are a fan of platformers in any way, then this game should be a must-buy.

Last edited:

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I am personally a huge fan of high refreshrate gaming and HDR. So Ori 2 was engineered ground up to support variable refresh rate and high refresh rates, it can go up to 180 if your machine can handle it :) I am running it between 144-180 personally. This was one of the reasons we switched away from the 2d sprite pipeline. With 3d you can do perfect blending, secondary layered physics and perfect super-sampling of all animations and run it at any frame-rate. It's an unbelievable leap from Ori1 once you see it running at those hertz, so silky smooth with all of the transitions between all the poses our animators added and secondary physics (things like Ori's tail and ears) and I absolutely love it.

HDR is going to come to PC a bit later, we hit a few hiccups with the PC support there and we'll probably add a few more tweaks into settings for X1 HDR as well.

As for 2d, 2.5d vs 3d games and how taxing they can be on different hardware I would love to talk about it more one day... Maybe after we're done in a little bit :)

Damn I can't wait to see how this runs on Series X. The game was breathtaking to begin with. Seriously amazing work on this guys.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Console Deals (4/5):
Still, even with some slight technical drawbacks, Ori and the Will of the Wisps is nothing less than an astonishing entry into the Metroidvania genre, smartly refining the systems that worked in Blind Forest while introducing some much-appreciated tweaks in other areas. The result is one of the most charming and delightful 2D adventures we have played in recent years. Just prepare to be challenged and simultaneously have your heart strings tugged on. The first Game of the Year contender of 2020 has arrived.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
www.rockpapershotgun.com

Ori And The Will Of The Wisps PC Review

Ori And The Will Of The Wisps is one of the most charming, engaging, visually striking and emotionally touching games I…

RPS gave it a bestest best review (their version of a Recommend).

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
This is ours (Italian): 9.3/10

www.mondoxbox.com

Recensione - Ori and the Will of the Wisps

A distanza di quasi 5 anni dalla pubblicazione del suo primo grande progetto, con il quale ha letteralmente catturato il cuore di milioni di giocatori, Moon Studios è finalmente pronta per rilasciare Ori and the Will of the Wisps, latteso seguito di uno dei giochi di piattaforme più apprezzato...

English Metacritic abstract:
Ori and the Will of the Wisps is an amazing game, managing to further elevate its genre thanks to a masterful work in gameplay, level design, art design, music and storytelling. A compelling and touching adventure that everyone should experience.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
All the best MOON! I'm in day one no matter what, but it would be lovely for this to get an amazing review score of 93-96.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
www.pcgamer.com

Ori and the Will of the Wisps review

More great, challenging platforming and gorgeous 2D artwork, this time with bigger bosses.

PCgamer comes in at 81. Likes it but prefers the simplicity of Blind Forest, and isn't a huge fan of the new combat focus.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Enjoy folks. I got to spend some hours with the patch and damn they cleaned it up alot. Some issues here and there but really nice.
Never thought I would want Ori to be battling it out but damned if he isn't a little plucky radioactive looking swordsman