• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

predict the metascore

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • 95-99

Votes: 155 9.9%
  • 90-94

Votes: 863 54.9%
  • 85-89

Votes: 453 28.8%
  • 80-84

Votes: 47 3.0%
  • 75-79

Votes: 8 0.5%
  • under 75

Votes: 13 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
i would say 88-92.
"not inovative enough", "not as new ans exciting as the first one", "the metroidvania genre has more options than it had 5 years ago" , "battle system is improved but still not great" are some criticisms that i expect, simply because it is a sequel. I also expect that BotW2 will get the same treatment, even if it improves on every criticism (just like it seems for Ori).
I wont be able to play it (for now, only platform is switch) but ill keep an eye on it.

flyingsaucer

Feb 28, 2020
At least we won't have to worry about PC reviews being dragged down by performance issues. We'll still have a score, that is the PC score on Metacritic, that is not affected by performance issues even if reviewers end up lowering their scores for the Xbox version's reviews

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished 100% Hard Definitive Edition, 3rd time playing the game. Still have some issues with the game, namely a few QoL things, a few unfair feeling deaths because of visibility or camera, and the Def edition added abilities, which are a blast to use but I think break the design of certain sections and have too much utility overlap with the core game abilities. Great game overall though.

From the little I've seen of this I think it's going to be tremendously better so I'm very excited.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
So Xbox reviewers will review a seemingly noticeably buggy pre-release version and they have no way to access the patch before their reviews go live to verify that it actually helps with the issues?

Reviewers haven't said anything, they're still under embargo. Some people got the game early from stores that broke the release date and their games won't have any day 1 patches since the game isn't released yet.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
Excellent news. I'm only 5 hours into Ori 1 but so far the combat sucks and the platforming is just okay. If they could improve these aspects (not an easy task I know) then they could have an all-time great on their hands.
Is this some joke I don't get? You can't be serious about the platforming...

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really not sure there's a Metroidvania in existence with better platforming, but okay.
Is this some joke I don't get? You can't be serious about the platforming...
Yeeeah, the platforming is a 10/10 though.
Obviously that was not my experience. I'm finding the platforming to be aggravating and clumsy thus far. Not asking you to feel the same.

yurr

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 20, 2019
The very concept of "Aping HK really hard" is amusing considering HK borrows so heavily from other Metroidvanias.
Would be nice to see a single source being cited if there are "many people"
street date is broken. Few cats In The press start chat were talking big shit

Last edited:

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I just got a 4K Tv and XB1X two weekends ago, and I'm starting to think I may have subconsciously spent all that money just to play Ori in the best way possible. I hope it lives up to the hype. I'm going with a nice round 90.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Obviously that was not my experience. I'm finding the platforming to be aggravating and clumsy thus far. Not asking you to feel the same.
What do you mean clumsy? Of course we can agree to disagree, but it would be good if you can elaborate on the issues you are having with the platforming.

The controls are super responsive compared to HK for example, with enjoyable precision platforming sections. I can't think of any other MV where (precision) platforming was such a focus.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
You should look up some of the funky stuff one can do with bash, that mechanic and learning how to flex it was super rad to me.

The games actual challenges don't really get you flexing it nearly as much as trying to free form with it on your own.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
YouTube chat. It's a few boys out there in the black gaming community with copies. One knight, kofi, addict(I think), etc. kofi bought an Xbox just to play it he's had it since Friday.

Yeah I think i'll wait for a better source than stream chat to find out how it compares to the original.

Stall_19

Oct 27, 2017
Hope it great. Gonna sign up for Gamepass for a month and try to finish this and A Plague Tale (An appropriate time to play the game if I say so myself) before March 20 in which I start my relaxing island life while MURDERING HORDES OF DEMONS.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Youre in vast minority on that one. Ori had problems, but the platforming was the one thing that was almost perfect. I could see getting frustrated by the sudden difficulty spikes in the escape scenarios since its all just memorize, die, repeat. Those were good for spectacle but poor as a gameplay experience.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean clumsy? Of course we can agree to disagree, but it would be good if you can elaborate on the issues you are having with the platforming.

The controls are super responsive compared to HK for example, with enjoyable precision platforming sections. I can't think of any other MV where (precision) platforming was such a focus.
I'm happy to go into detail, I just didn't want to derail the thread. For context I love 2D platformers with super responsive and precise gameplay. Mega Man is my favorite franchise, I have platinums in games like Celeste, Hollow Knight, Guacamelee, Rayman Origins, etc. Ori controls very differently from all of these games (which is fine). Ori moves with a lot of speed and a feel of sweeping roundness. Controlling Ori is like waving a wand. Ori is very small on screen which contributes to that feeling a bit. Floaty isn't the right word, but it distinctly feels like a game that was made in Unity (I didn't know if that was true while writing this, but I just looked it up and it is in fact made in Unity). Nothing to do with performance, just the feel of the movement.

Hollow Knight was not a perfect platformer but I always felt that I was able to control HK with complete precision. Every little flinch was intentional and exactly where I expected it to go with 1:1 correlation to the button input. With Ori I often feel like I'm flying by the seat of my pants; the arc of the jump has such a strange launch and motion to it that I constantly find myself running into the most basic of obstacles. Wall jumps are connected to the wall in such a way that it's often unpredictable at which point I'm actually going to launch. I don't mind dying in HK, Celeste, and Mega Man, because I always know exactly why it happened and that it was 100% my fault, whereas in Ori I honestly feel like I have died several times because the level design is unclear (such as ceilings suddenly stomping you out of nowhere, or all the glowing effects obscuring hazards) or just because at a base level I didn't feel like I could even control Ori. I can beat the kaizo levels in Mario Maker, but in this game I feel like I'm ramming headfirst into a basic goomba over and over again, which is extremely frustrating.

We'll see how the rest of the game goes. I think I'm only halfway through so there are undoubtedly some more moves to collect. Maybe there will be a breakthrough moment where it clicks and I feel like I am the character instead of feeling like I am telling an asset in a game engine where to go. Or maybe it's just not for me, who knows.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I'm not gonna be very original, but my gut says 92, :D

Stoked for it, just waiting on some impressions for the keyboard controls to pull the trigger. I played the original a few months back almost entirely on a keyboard, but I'm worried that more elaborate combat may have made the controls less intuitive, so I want to get some review impressions before pulling the trigger.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I had to do some serious, SERIOUS trimming to keep my review down to 1000 words. Intrigued to see where this thread goes.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Just finished 100% Hard Definitive Edition, 3rd time playing the game. Still have some issues with the game, namely a few QoL things, a few unfair feeling deaths because of visibility or camera, and the Def edition added abilities, which are a blast to use but I think break the design of certain sections and have too much utility overlap with the core game abilities. Great game overall though.

From the little I've seen of this I think it's going to be tremendously better so I'm very excited.
I am diving into this on Gamepass hope i like it more. The first one was fun but the lack of bosses, Combat and level nature sort of did not scratch a metroidvanias itch

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ori controls very differently from all of these games (which is fine). Ori moves with a lot of speed and a feel of sweeping roundness. Controlling Ori is like waving a wand.

Floaty isn't the right word...

Hollow Knight was not a perfect platformer but I always felt that I was able to control HK with complete precision. Every little flinch was intentional and exactly where I expected it to go with 1:1 correlation to the button input. With Ori I often feel like I'm flying by the seat of my pants
I 100% agree with you. Floaty is exactly the word I would use. Controlling Ori in the air has this weird acceleration to it that never feels good and makes precise jumps really hard to pull off. It's not tight at all.

This is my biggest complaint about the first game and it's something I really hope they tightened up for the 2nd. But if not, I'm sure it will still be fun. But just wont reach the same highs as Hollow Knight for me (which I remember being a lot tighter).