• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Creating your own save points was pretty unique, but I get why a lot of people didn't like that. All I really need is for a hard difficulty mode or something similar that isn't forgiving. Are there difficulty options in this? Played the first game on hard with the definitive edition and enjoyed that.
There's Easy, Normal and Hard - But you should really pick Normal for your first playthrough. Hard is REALLY hard. Like, I'm not kidding you, Hard Mode should be only played once you completed the game on Normal a few times :D

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
I think Soul Link worked nicely as it did in Blind Forest, cause of the way we integrated it, but you just had to pay attention and use it whenever you got to some more difficult bit - and some players just never got over that.

But that's not why we cut it. We added a whole bunch of other elements and keeping track of Soul Link just didn't feel natural anymore. Trust me, it's for the better, you'll not even think about it being gone with everything else that's going on all the time :)

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
There's Easy, Normal and Hard - But you should really pick Normal for your first playthrough. Hard is REALLY hard. Like, I'm not kidding you, Hard Mode should be only played once you completed the game on Normal a few times :D

Well, what if hard in the first game felt fine in terms of difficulty? is this harder than that?

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
I think Soul Link worked nicely as it did in Blind Forest, cause of the way we integrated it, but you just had to pay attention and use it whenever you got to some more difficult bit - and some players just never got over that.

But that's not why we cut it. We added a whole bunch of other elements and keeping track of Soul Link just didn't feel natural anymore. Trust me, it's for the better, you'll not even think about it being gone with everything else that's going on all the time :)

Asking to do an entire (hard) sequence without a checkpoint is fine. Penalizing because a player somehow forgot to save isn't fun.

The decision making it introduces (if my memory is correct) between offense and saving IS cool, but was kinda rendered meaningless due to how poor the combat was.

But yeah, I'm really looking forward to this sequel.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Very small question, but I hope the Achievement art has actual art instead of small little symbols... I love making Achievements my background on Xbox. Then again I suppose I could just take screenshots along the way haha

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game and Silksong (and their predecessors) are proof we aren't in the actual worst possible timeline.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this game will natively support the PS4 controller and have PS4 icons on the game pass version. Some games like hellblade have that on the steam version but then do not have it on the windows store version which sucks.

Nov 8, 2017
Very excited for this one, Ori and FF7R are my most anticipated games in H1 2020. So glad there is more space between them now so I can enjoy Ori fully.

PrimaryAccess

Oct 28, 2017
Hi thomasmahler. Congratulations to the team on the great previews. I won't watch anything, I already have the game pre-ordered on Steam and I really really can't wait. Blind Forest is one the best games I have ever played.
I just wanted to ask if there will be a pre-load of the game on steam. Thank you. :)

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Love the extra characters and the top notch animations. Like when he slaps Ori of the branch but then picks him up in the air.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

qqa3v7m.gif

Robspassion

Jan 10, 2019
Ok IĀ“ve got some more questions. Maybe thomasmahler can answer that.

Will the game support 21:9 aspect ratio on PC like the definitive edition did. And will we get an unlocked framerate on PC?
Will the animations be locked to 60 FPS and will there be an exclusive fullscreen mode this time?
Will the PC version feature higher detail levels compared to the xbox one x version? Will HDR work on PC as well? Still thinking about getting it boxed on xbox one or the digital version for win10/xbox store.

Sorry for all the questions. IĀ“m really looking forward to Will of the Wisps. Absolutely adored the first one :). Thanks alot to Moon Studios :)

disgraciau

Oct 27, 2017
Ibiza, Balearic Islands, Spain
Ok IĀ“ve got some more questions. Maybe thomasmahler can answer that.

Will the game support 21:9 aspect ratio on PC like the definitive edition did. And will we get an unlocked framerate on PC?
Will the animations be locked to 60 FPS and will there be an exclusive fullscreen mode this time?
Will the PC version feature higher detail levels compared to the xbox one x version? Will HDR work on PC as well? Still thinking about getting it boxed on xbox one or the digital version for win10/xbox store.

Sorry for all the questions. IĀ“m really looking forward to Will of the Wisps. Absolutely adored the first one :). Thanks alot to Moon Studios :)

Yup, 21:9 is coming, he confirmed it a few pages back.

When does the preload go up?

I would like to know this as well.

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
Is it known how long this game is? I read somewhere that the map is 3 times bigger than the original Ori, is that correct?

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
Dont think you can really compare. This game seems to have alot more "side content" if you want to.
That's music to my ears. I ask because I'd love for it to be as long as possible. I loved Ori and the blind forest but I was left wishing for more. The game wrapped up perfectly but it was so good I just wanted more.

So yeah, I want Ori and the will of the wisps to be more.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hope this turns out as good as it looks! Hopefully this will hit Switch as well later on (or PS4 but don't see that happening) so i can experience it as well.

BabyYoda

Banned
Nov 12, 2019
Hi thomasmahler
first of all thank you and your team very much for one (well after reading some reviews probably two :D ) of my favorite games ever.

Unfortunately I'm in a bad situation because my XOne died last year and I don't have a gaming PC. I really, really don't want to get another XOne just for one game, so I have to ask: Are there currently plans to bring Ori 2 to the Switch aswell? If yes, when can we expect it?

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
Not that long to go now. Dreams will keep me busy until then. I can't wait. I hope it runs ok on my pc though.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
lol sounds like I should start on easy. I finished Blind Forest 100% on map and secrets but only on normal and on my third playthrough and I still don't understand how anyone can get that achievement where you can't die, some fleeing sequences literally had me dying like 30 times :s

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for this!

Looks like an improvement in every area too so that's great to see.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
Very excited about playing this. Gutted the Soul Link mechanic has gone - I enjoyed using it and the challenges associated with it / saving enough etc - it was part of what made Ori so unique.

But I'm sure this one will engross me just the same :)

Saci do PXB

Nov 12, 2017
Sometimes I don't know what to do.
It almost hurts to wait for the game, and when I see some material like previews I feel worse, I guess.
I have itches, so I pretend the game it's not almost here and try to focus on other games already installed on my console/PC.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, they got rid of savestating?

Well shit, my interest just shot right up in picking this up at some point. I played on Switch and while I liked the music, atmosphere, art, and animation I really did not enjoy how unforgiving the precision platforming became later on. I feel like the devs gave themselves too much wiggle room by handing the player a savestate ability, so it felt like every few seconds I had to use it to scum my way through some obstacle. It legit felt like playing Kaizo or some other romhack at that point.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow I just realized we're only a bit over a week away from release...hype!

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
thomasmahler who comes up with the language the characters talk in the game? I am always curious how devs do that haha and how it starts.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The thing about this game and the first one that amazes me every time I look at them is just how much they nailed the visuals. It's some of the best 2D artwork around and I love all the special effects they go going on.

It's a perfect blend of old school and modern visual design.

Dlanor A. Knox

ā–² Legend ā–²
Apr 6, 2018
I didn't even know there were previews, what the hell, this looks incredible.

Looks like they "Hollow Knighted" Ori in this sequel and I LOVE that.

The first one was magical but the fact that they added actual combat, bossfights, side stuff to do, a way bigger map, npcs is.. arghhhh I need it, this is gonna be something special I can feel it. <3

Last edited:

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Been avoiding spoilers but came in here for the discussion. Saw those clips. Holy shit at the animations! That's Disney/Pixar quality stuff in real time! Huge jump!