• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
thomasmahler
Repeating my question from earlier(sorry if you've seen it already), would you mind sharing what was not counting towards the play time counter? Could give us a better idea what to expect
I asked Gennadiy to give you a detailed response, since I don't know exactly. I just know that the algorithm is off and that people see less time on their save slots than they actually spent playing the game - I also asked Axecidentally to confirm and he did, since I was surprised about his 10h playthrough time (since Maximilian Dood played 6h on his stream and they barely completed Act1, so people finishing all 3 acts and 100% the game first time through in 10 hours seems highly unlikely), he told me in PM he thinks it felt more like 14 or so hours (Quote: " It sure does feel like it. Looking back at my playtime these two past days I'd say I should have a minimum of 14h to be honest. ").

But anyway, this should be fixed with the Day1 patch.

flyingsaucer

Feb 28, 2020
I asked Gennadiy to give you a detailed reply, since I don't know exactly. I just know that the algorithm is off and that people see less time on their save slots than they actually spent playing the game - I also asked Axecidentally to confirm and he did, since I was surprised about his 10h playthrough time (since Maximilian Dood played 6h on his stream and they barely completed Act1, so people finishing all 3 acts and 100% the game first time through in 10 hours seems highly unlikely), he told me in PM he thinks it felt more like 14 or so hours. But anyway, this should be fixed with the Day1 patch.
I see, thank you for the reply. If it's possible for just Act 1 of 3 to take 6 hours(and that is probably not even 100%'ing the areas), I am more than happy with the game's length. Not to mention I'll be spending a lot of time with the spirit trials and such.
Do you have any idea when Steam preload will be up?

Renovatio

Oct 23, 2019
I asked Gennadiy to give you a detailed response, since I don't know exactly. I just know that the algorithm is off and that people see less time on their save slots than they actually spent playing the game - I also asked Axecidentally to confirm and he did, since I was surprised about his 10h playthrough time (since Maximilian Dood played 6h on his stream and they barely completed Act1, so people finishing all 3 acts and 100% the game first time through in 10 hours seems highly unlikely), he told me in PM he thinks it felt more like 14 or so hours (Quote: " It sure does feel like it. Looking back at my playtime these two past days I'd say I should have a minimum of 14h to be honest. ").

Good to know.

And beside that, don't care too much what 'journalism' has to say about the game. We all know it's one of the best game in these years.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

That is why i always have Gameplay Time Tracker running in background (on PC) XD

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017

I did test it and I can confirm. The game does not track time as it should so I actually played more time than the save game slot displays.

Good news huh? 😀

In any case. The time I spent on will of the wisps was incredible.

I'm still getting 100% map completion which is the last thing I need for a 100% save file. Next is hard mode playthrough after the day 1 patch.

The Libertine

Oct 29, 2017
I finished Blind Forest on Friday and loved it, although my game crashed just after the last cut scene, before the credits and I had to restart that last section again!

Oh and even with that, I bloody loved it. Can't wait for 11th March!

Last edited:

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Started blind forest yesterday evening and man it's brutal. I had to set the game to easy from normal, if not I would've thrown a fit at all the frustrating bits. The section where u escape the flowing water in the tree is where I decided to play on easy instead going forwards .. man ..

I have never been gud at platformers but this is more frustrating than Nioh/Sekiro/Souls .. almost on par with cuphead which I had to beat with a cheat engine on pc lol.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Thanks for the support, Axecidentally! We obviously should've caught that issue earlier...

I stand by the structure and pacing we laid out for Will of the Wisps. I'm the kinda designer who'd rather cut stuff that isn't great than to leave it in just so people play a little longer. Proper pacing is incredibly important and people feeling like every second mattered matters a lot to me. Games like A Link to the Past or Super Metroid wouldn't have been better if they had another 5 areas to play through - Structure and Pacing always needs to be considered so that people don't feel like the game drags on or starts feeling padded out. I personally am very happy with the length of Will of the Wisps - I had to complete the game tons of times in the previous weeks and every playthrough still feels fun to me since you can always vary things up with the skills / shards and every area has its own thing going on, it just always keeps you on your toes and I think that's a good thing :)

used2Bcat

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus, what have they done in the last 4 years? That's pretty bad. :/

Like making the game developed and to exist for us to play? I don't like to adapt of the way of thinking to dismiss ALL other efforts just because of that. I mean bugs can be there with any code. And also we are talking about a game that hasn't been released yet.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mine is still 5gb something. I'll play normal difficulty. I first played and 100% finished Ori and the blind forest last month on switch. I can't wait

Renovatio

Oct 23, 2019
I did test it and I can confirm. The game does not track time as it should so I actually played more time than the save game slot displays.

Good news huh? 😀

In any case. The time I spent on will of the wisps was incredible.

I'm still getting 100% map completion which is the last thing I need for a 100% save file. Next is hard mode playthrough after the day 1 patch.
Very good news!

The Libertine

Oct 29, 2017
Sorry if this has been asked about already, but the achievements on Switch are still not transferring over to my XBOX account. I can see the first three I earned when I first started playing last year, but I started a brand new save file and none of those have shown up. I think this was an issue at launch, but wanted to know if there had been a fix?

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if this has been asked about already, but the achievements on Switch are still not transferring over to my XBOX account. I can see the first three I earned when I first started playing last year, but I started a brand new save file and none of those have shown up. I think this was an issue at launch, but wanted to know if there had been a fix?
You are on the wrong thread. This thread is about the sequel. ;)

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
Both. I'm very proud of what we built, I'm highly confident that people will have a great time with Will of the Wisps, but you just never know for certain until all is said and done. I haven't slept properly in over 2 months, I'm sleep-deprived and constantly on edge and it's agony to wait the last couple of days to know for sure where we landed...

The few journalists who reached out to me that have finished the game seem to be over the moon (no pun intended) regarding Will of the Wisps, but I'm a skeptical person by nature, so we'll have to wait and see. If we gave you folks an unforgettable experience with what we spent the last 4 years of our lives on, we've done our jobs right. Time will tell.

I'm confident you folks have delivered another masterpiece and cant wait to play it!

Take a deep breath, relax and try and get some well earned sleep

And thankyou

flyingsaucer

Feb 28, 2020
Looking at the release schedule, in the following 6 months there are like....5 potential game of the generations for me releasing, including this one. It's kinda crazy.
I think either Witcher 3 or Cyberpunk 2077 will be the game of the generation for me - Witcher 3 if Cyberpunk cannot surpass it. WotW can be the 2D game of the generation though :)

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Looking at the release schedule, in the following 6 months there are like....5 potential game of the generations for me releasing, including this one. It's kinda crazy.
I just know Ori will hit a the beats for me that I want in a video game and what it means for game to be art. (and not only visually)

flyingsaucer

Feb 28, 2020
Less than two days until the reviews are out
UGY5g93.png

The countdown is from https://opencritic.com/ btw

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I was checking the PC leaderboard for the "one life" difficulty and as expected it's just a list of cheaters completing 100% of the game in 0 seconds.
How's that leaderboard on Xbox? Is there a lot of people who actually did it? If so, these people need recognition and mental help.

Last edited:

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
No, they don't. We asked reviewers to play the X1X or PC versions exactly for that reason. Optimizations always come in at the very end.
Thomas, I hope you don't take this the wrong way and think I'm trying to attack you. I'm a huge fan of Ori, yourself, and your extremely talented studio. The first game was my GOTY the year it released, and I have no doubt in my mind that Ori and the Will of the Wisps is going to be just as amazing as the first if not better. But hitching and stuttering and visual bugs like those should not be something that releases on a shipping disc. To me it sounds like you knew those issues were there on Xbox One OG/S, but had to release anyway. Those issues weren't there in the first game, and they shouldn't have been here.

If that kind of thing is happening in the game to the point where it's impacting a person's ability to effectively play and enjoy the game, then it shouldn't have been released. I understand optimizations come towards the end of development... but that should mean improving performance in scenarios where there's slowdown... not fixing outright freezing for a full second every so often. No game should be freezing like that during typical gameplay.

I'm playing on PC anyway, so hopefully it isn't an issue there. I'm sure it will be fixed for the Xbox users in the day 1 patch and things will be alright. I can't wait for Wednesday to experience what I'm sure will be an amazing game.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I stand by the structure and pacing we laid out for Will of the Wisps. I'm the kinda designer who'd rather cut stuff that isn't great than to leave it in just so people play a little longer. Proper pacing is incredibly important and people feeling like every second mattered matters a lot to me. Games like A Link to the Past or Super Metroid wouldn't have been better if they had another 5 areas to play through - Structure and Pacing always needs to be considered so that people don't feel like the game drags on or starts feeling padded out. I personally am very happy with the length of Will of the Wisps - I had to complete the game tons of times in the previous weeks and every playthrough still feels fun to me since you can always vary things up with the skills / shards and every area has its own thing going on, it just always keeps you on your toes and I think that's a good thing :)
As you should! Ori and the Blind Forest is nothing short of a masterpiece, and I don't use that word lightly. Pacing absolutely played a major role in that. The game never dragged. It was perfect in that regard. If you took the same care with Will of the Wisps then we may have another masterpiece on our hands!

flyingsaucer

Feb 28, 2020
Thomas, I hope you don't take this the wrong way and think I'm trying to attack you. I'm a huge fan of Ori, yourself, and your extremely talented studio. The first game was my GOTY the year it released, and I have no doubt in my mind that Ori and the Will of the Wisps is going to be just as amazing as the first if not better. But hitching and stuttering and visual bugs like those should not be something that releases on a shipping disc. To me it sounds like you knew those issues were there on Xbox One OG/S, but had to release anyway. Those issues weren't there in the first game, and they shouldn't have been here.

If that kind of thing is happening in the game to the point where it's impacting a person's ability to effectively play and enjoy the game, then it shouldn't have been released. I understand optimizations come towards the end of development... but that should mean improving performance in scenarios where there's slowdown... not fixing outright freezing for a full second every so often. No game should be freezing like that during typical gameplay.

They must have been confident they could fix the remaining issues in one month, focusing all of their efforts on them if need be. I don't see how that is an issue, or a reason to delay the game further than they already have.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I finished Blind Forest on Friday and loved it, although my game crashed just after the last cut scene, before the credits and I had to restart that last section again!

Oh and even with that, I bloody loved it. Can't wait for 11th March!
That cutscene crash happened to me on PC, and Xbox One X, lol. If I'm remembering correctly, a GameFAQs thread found that it happens most consistently whenever you pull up the menu shortly before the section happens. Something about the RAM.

GennadiyKorol

Lead Engineer at Moon Studios
Verified
Aug 19, 2019
The reports of folks finishing the game in just 10 hours while "taking their time and not rushing" were suspicious and prompted us to look closer at our in game timer. We have investigated and confirmed that the timer is inaccurate in the current version. The timer was skipping any and all time spent in the menus (shards, map, weapon wheel, etc) as well as having precision loss over longer playthroughs. We estimate that over longer periods of time the timer might be up to 40% off.

The issue is fixed as of now and we're going to propagate the patch to make sure it gets into day1 on PC but we might not get there in time for day1 on Xbox. It will definitely land shortly after once the patch can pass certification.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
The reports of folks finishing the game in just 10 hours while "taking their time and not rushing" were suspicious and prompted us to look closer at our in game timer. We have investigated and confirmed that the timer is inaccurate in the current version. The timer was skipping any and all time spent in the menus (shards, map, weapon wheel, etc) as well as having precision loss over longer playthroughs. We estimate that over longer periods of time the timer might be up to 40% off.

The issue is fixed as of now and we're going to propagate the patch to make sure it gets into day1 on PC but we might not get there in time for day1 on Xbox. It will definitely land shortly after once the patch can pass certification.

Wait you're going to not make the timer pause while in the pause menu? That's...not playing the game. I prefer when games do that. That's not really accurate if I accidentally leave the game paused. The first game does this.

flyingsaucer

Feb 28, 2020
Wait you're going to not make the timer pause while in the pause menu? That's...not playing the game. I prefer when games do that. That's not really accurate if I accidentally leave the game paused. The first game does this.
Pause menu is different from the other gameplay menus(map etc.) that Gennadiy mentioned. Hollow Knight does it the same. The time you spent in the charm menus, map etc. is counted towards the game time, but the timer is paused when you hit the pause button and see the Options menus etc. I believe the first Ori is also the same, so I don't think they're making the actual pause menu count towards it. That wouldn't make sense

Oct 28, 2019
Playing through the first Ori for the first time right now and I can't believe these achievements are a thing.
The way the game tries to blatantly shove you annoying shit in your face like every 3 meter you walk with endless respawning enemies, millimeter perfect jumps and 53 game mechanics that you have to use and remember in combination with the annoying save system is really sucking every fun out of it. I can't imagine even trying shit achievements like this.

I enjoy the atmosphere, the world and even the skill jumping passages so much, but everything in combination is so stressful, it doesn't let me enjoy the world and regular Metroidvania part of the game at all, it's hard to play it more than an hour a day without getting pissed off. :D
Honestly I never understood the endless praise the original Ori game gets. I bounced off of the original 3 times because of the things you mention. I willing to give the new one a try but if it were not for game pass it's would be a skip.

Last edited:

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Definitely not an issue for me with Blind Forest on PC, been playing it again today in lovely 4k.
Same. I've put 8 hours in just this Fri and Sat.. on the Steam version of the Definitive Edition and it's been 100% smooth.

I hope the PC version of Will of the Wisps is the same.

flyingsaucer

Feb 28, 2020
Nah Celeste, Hollow Night and Super Meatboy, are favorites of mine. I like bone crushing platformers.
"endless respawning enemies, millimeter perfect jumps and 53 game mechanics that you have to use and remember in combination with the annoying save system is really sucking every fun out of it"
So, you disliked the game because of things those games also have? (Excluding Super Meat Boy)
And I don't see how the save system was annoying at all

City 17

Oct 25, 2017
Playing through the first Ori for the first time right now and I can't believe these achievements are a thing.
The way the game tries to blatantly shove you annoying shit in your face like every 3 meter you walk with endless respawning enemies, millimeter perfect jumps and 53 game mechanics that you have to use and remember in combination with the annoying save system is really sucking every fun out of it. I can't imagine even trying shit achievements like this.

I enjoy the atmosphere, the world and even the skill jumping passages so much, but everything in combination is so stressful, it doesn't let me enjoy the world and regular Metroidvania part of the game at all, it's hard to play it more than an hour a day without getting pissed off. :D
Not my experience at all, game being "stressful"? No way, it was an absolute joy to play. "Exciting" might be the better word, esp. the escape sequences, hopefully we'll see more of that in WotW.

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017

Congrats to you too on the awesome game you've made. Enjoyed it to bits! Hope the patch makes it day 1 to xbox one too!

Oct 28, 2019
"endless respawning enemies, millimeter perfect jumps and 53 game mechanics that you have to use and remember in combination with the annoying save system is really sucking every fun out of it"
So, you disliked the game because of things those games also have? (Excluding Super Meat Boy)
And I don't see how the save system was annoying at all
First the save system could be a pain if you didn't stop after every difficult platforming challenge and place one down. How the hell are you going to know where to save if you haven't done the challenge before? The other games I named dont have "endless respawning enemies" and even if they did, the one game with combat is worlds above Ori. Ori's enemies are a nuisance, and not in the interesting change my gameplay up way, but in there's not a satisfying way to deal with them way. Why do you think they changed the combat in the new one? Add the respawns, saves and poor combat up and it takes away from the game.