• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I love challenging platformers, but I still think that chase is bs and the only bad part of the game. The burrow controls are fine in normal situations, but for that part it's really awkward and finicky. Claven I hope you decide to give it another shot because there's nothing like that anymore after and you should be able to finish the game. It's a weird difficulty jump in a game that's otherwise pretty lenient.

A friend of mine is playing the game and he's loving it despite not liking platformers, but he's gonna hit a brick wall when he gets to that point.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game, and loved every minute of it!!

Luckily I was playing on PC, so I didn't experience any performance issues to hamper what a beautiful game this was.

The only bad thing is that THIS happened to my Elite Controller v1 during the final boss...RIP

G9x80uU.jpg

DuoRox

Oct 28, 2017
Gf just did a 100%run on it, sometimes in tears.
I watched it all.
We had a bug where ori was invincible for the last level..
otherwise great game, shame bout the bugs (audio, 1 hard crash, and 1 - 2 seconds screen freezes.)

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Got a physical copy and I'm getting GP challenge notifications during it. Is this supposed to be happening?

As for the game itself, I'm only about an hour or two in but it is lovely.

Oct 29, 2017
Well, finished the game an hour ago or so.

5/5
I think thomasmahler asked for our thoughts about the ending... well, this is my opinion:

I really liked it. I think it is a brave ending. The "sacrifice of the hero", while impactful, is totally coherent within the world rules and paradigm, as Ori being an spirit. The final scenes of a happy family taking care of the tree are pretty cool, and the final tease with the flying leaf was playful. I don´t know what is the future of the series, it is really hard to make a better Ori game. But well, to sum up, you really made a good conclusion with this one.
Congratulations, Moon Studios! From now on, I am really looking forward to your next game.
I agree completely! I can't say it enough but the game is an absolute masterpiece.
About the ending:
I sincerely hope we get to see ori again. Ori made the right choice, but I kind of feel he was robbed of his life with the others. It just seems like he had two adventures, barely enough time to raise Ku, and then accept his responisbility as the tree. The others taking care of the tree definitely lessened the blow. Buy yeah, like you said, definitely a good conclusion. As to what they can do next, more chase/boss sequences! Those were amazing! And gareth coker most definitely will need to score the next ori game. I'd honestly love to see what thomas and crew could do for a 3d ori game. Imagine the gorgeous ori art style in a full 3d, open world metroidvania. I'd be perfectly fine with another 2d ori though! This game easily entered my top 3 of all time, and I've been gaming for 32 years.
Just finished it. Great game, great ending. I'd give it a 9/10.

To me the chases/escapes are the best part of Ori, and I was a little disappointed because I found them too easy in this one.
I agree completely! I want more lol
They were definitely a bit easier than blind forest, I also agree.

Mar 22, 2019
How does this run on XBX? I dont have a HdR tv so hoping the bugs are minimized.

Finished the first one yesterday and hankering for more and see ive got it on gamepass.

ps: LOVED the first and so everything im reading about the second being better in every way makes me happy.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I really think this problem has not solution. I think this game has some parts that are more challenging than others, but nothing that I would call a "game-breaking difficulty spike". Because again, this is completely subjective and there are several factors to consider here: previous experience, time available, frustration tolerance, etc. etc.

My personal advice is don´t give up, because the last part of the game is amazing. It is ok if you want to try it again tomorrow, or not. It is up to you.

In any case, have a nice one!

Thanks, I will probably give it a couple more shots tomorrow. I loved the game otherwise and think it's miles better than the first one in every aspect (I did finish the first one on PC after much swearing and almost breaking my mouse). Just maybe a couple of checkpoints, or at least a checkpoint halfway through the chase on Easy difficulty would make it infinitely more bearable.

I love challenging platformers, but I still think that chase is bs and the only bad part of the game. The burrow controls are fine in normal situations, but for that part it's really awkward and finicky. Claven I hope you decide to give it another shot because there's nothing like that anymore after and you should be able to finish the game. It's a weird difficulty jump in a game that's otherwise pretty lenient.

A friend of mine is playing the game and he's loving it despite not liking platformers, but he's gonna hit a brick wall when he gets to that point.

Thanks, I really do want to finish it. It's just really frustrating how it depends on the finicky burrow controls and the recognition of burrow surface at range isn't always great, sometimes you do a Dash instead of Burrow even though you are definitely in range, but the blue circle on the surface flickers in and out and it's just so frustrating.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely glad the chase scenes calmed the hell down compared to the first game. They were much more enjoyable this time due to this. As others have said, just give yourself some time if you're having hurdles passing them. It will come naturally. Ending of that sequence in question is intense though.

As for the ending, honestly the
"Taking The Crown"
ending so-to-speak is a bit old hat for me at this point in media. I know the story was likely decided years and years ago, but I'm over it. Still, the family aspect made for a very heartwarming addition and I liked that the most from the story elements.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Question about where I'm at, please help so I don't make a mistake!

I got the three wisps that you need before going to the Heart of the Forest. Is this the final area? Is there a point of no return that's obvious? I want to get everything I can done before I finish the game.
Anyone on this? I'm about to do the thing.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
So I need a skill I don't have to progress into Baur's Reach right? I don't see any other way of dealing with this ice.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone on this? I'm about to do the thing.

No, there's one other area after that.

So I need a skill I don't have to progress into Baur's Reach right? I don't see any other way of dealing with this ice.

There's furnaces you activate by bashing embers into them that melt the ice in the surrounding area. The embers come out of vats sitting over fires, if you fan the flames with the feather they spit out an ember. The first one is an area underneath Baur.

Last edited:

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Question about where I'm at, please help so I don't make a mistake!

I got the three wisps that you need before going to the Heart of the Forest. Is this the final area? Is there a point of no return that's obvious? I want to get everything I can done before I finish the game.

It's technically the penultimate area. In any case, you'll know the PotR very obviously once you get into the room later on.

tadale

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
I wrapped up the game this afternoon. I loved it.

I've been bummed since the credits rolled. Cheers to Moon Studios for making bold story choices; I don't know what you all do from here but I'm definitely along for the ride.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
There's furnaces you activate by bashing embers into them that melt the ice in the surrounding area. The embers come out of vats sitting over fires, if you fan the flames with the feather they spit out an ember. The first one is an area underneath Baur.
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BIG tears @ the ending

the reveal that the narrator was us this whole time, "I embraced the light...when my name was Ori", was such a beautiful cap stone to a story about the circle of life and passing down our legacies and knowledge to the younger generation

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Loving this game and that moment quite early on was probably the saddest thing I have seen in a game.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
So how exactly does Shriek's body work? I was a little confused initially because I thought there were two separate characters, a flying owl and Shriek, who walks around on her stilts. I don't get how she goes from flight form to walks-on-stilts mode, or why the stilts mode is even necessary besides looking cool (which is debatable).

I thought it was a little silly that she was
apparently born with her Cubone mask, especially since you see it break at the end and she does have a regular owl face.
The art in the game is incredible, but her design is the single thing I wasn't totally on board with.

Thanathorn

Dec 10, 2019
Just finished it. Amazing game and super touching. They nailed it. I enjoyed it so much more than the original game, only thing bothering me is that my achievement for beating the game didn't pop. Weird that this is the second Xbox game studios game to have that issue.

Haxik

Oct 27, 2017
BIG tears @ the ending

the reveal that the narrator was us this whole time, "I embraced the light...when my name was Ori", was such a beautiful cap stone to a story about the circle of life and passing down our legacies and knowledge to the younger generation

Agree. But...

The other day I started the first one again and the narrator talks about Ori and the rest In a way that doesn't seem right if it's Ori. I don't remember the exact phrases but it was weird. Maybe the Ori narrator thing was a second thought?

Definitely glad the chase scenes calmed the hell down compared to the first game. They were much more enjoyable this time due to this. As others have said, just give yourself some time if you're having hurdles passing them. It will come naturally. Ending of that sequence in question is intense though.

As for the ending, honestly the
"Taking The Crown"
ending so-to-speak is a bit old hat for me at this point in media. I know the story was likely decided years and years ago, but I'm over it. Still, the family aspect made for a very heartwarming addition and I liked that the most from the story elements.

What do you mean about that spoiler term? English is not my main languague so I'm not familiar with it.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think i gave it a score but it would be close to 10/10. There were more dark/depressing elements to the story that the ending absolutely did not make up for, but that's probably just me. Certainly a bold move to just have so many things just end in the most miserable way possible.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
I've always wanted to play Ori and the Blind Forest but never got around to it (even had it downloaded on my Xbox due to Game Pass), but I jumped into this game and I'm loving it so far. The art really pops on my OLED TV and the gameplay feels satisfying. After I finish this I'll most likely go back to the first game and play that.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean about that spoiler term? English is not my main languague so I'm not familiar with it.

The act of a hero taking the place of the great power that previously watched over or protected the land, usually at the cost of their own traditional freedom in order to take on a great responsibility.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
All right, I finally found the part that's harder than the Ginsou Tree Escape

The Sand Worm Chase

gotta call it quits for the night, my wrists are starting to hurt.

In general, I'm not a fan of how Burrow works. The fact that it's perpetual motion can get really disorienting on M+K, and I have no idea how the bounces work.

I beat all the Spirit Trials, so I'm not gonna complain about the controls in general, but everything about the sand-related stuff just feels extra finicky.

Also, for the Cartographer's Protege achievement:

is there another map I can buy after the Sand Worm fight? Because I'm pretty sure I bought every single one he's got, and I didn't get the achievement yet.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it last night, such an amazing improvement over the first one in pretty much every way.

Shriek just curling up (to die?) under their parent's desiccated bodies was ROUGH. Is that really the only way that can go? Is there a different ending after 100% or something?

Am I the only person who really liked that escape section? best one in the game imo

I think I died once in that escape but got it the second time, didn't think it was that tough at all.

Speedlynx

Nov 22, 2017
Just finished the game and man that ending. I'm SAD.

Great gameplay, amazing musical score, lovely aesthetics.

My only complaint is the game is too easy on normal, wish I had started on hard. Also I wish had more of a reason to experiment with shard combinations. There's a lot of potential there with a more combat oriented mode!

and Ginso Tree is still the hardest escape sequence, as it should be :)

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it last night, such an amazing improvement over the first one in pretty much every way.

Shriek just curling up (to die?) under their parent's desiccated bodies was ROUGH. Is that really the only way that can go? Is there a different ending after 100% or something?

I think I died once in that escape but got it the second time, didn't think it was that tough at all.

Yeah that part was unexpected. I did everything in the game that I could and that happened in the ending, which makes sense because I don't know why that would change with completion. It really sucked the joy out of the ending for me.

I thought they were telling a story about acceptance of people who are born different, which made it more relateable for me having struggled through life in that sense, but ultimately they kind of just say Shriek has to be alone and forever miserable which really fucked with me

ReddishGUI

Oct 25, 2017
Loved the game but the technical problems(framerate dips, a bunch of 2-5 seconds freezes(one never unfroze), some audio missing at times and the initial loading screen has shutdown my one x twice) are REALLY disappointing.

Last edited:

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that part was unexpected. I did everything in the game that I could and that happened in the ending, which makes sense because I don't know why that would change with completion. It really sucked the joy out of the ending for me.

I thought they were telling a story about acceptance of people who are born different, which made it more relateable for me having struggled through life in that sense, but ultimately they kind of just say Shriek has to be alone and forever miserable which really fucked with me
My thoughts exactly! Seemed like a real bummer, perhaps if there's DLC we'll see more?

TheOneJat

Oct 1, 2018
I love playing this game but its a big shame I get so many freezes and fps drops (launch xbone). Also I'd love it if the map was insta-load. Still despite all of these little problems - I can't wait to play more.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game, and loved every minute of it!!

Luckily I was playing on PC, so I didn't experience any performance issues to hamper what a beautiful game this was.

The only bad thing is that THIS happened to my Elite Controller v1 during the final boss...RIP

G9x80uU.jpg

Oddly enough, the rubber grip started coming off mine by the end. It's a og launch version and Ori is what did it in. I hope the devs are happy.

(joking)

brink22

Feb 22, 2018
I'm a few hours in on X1S and strongly considering waiting for the patch. These freezes are really hurting the experience.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Man the artwork in this game is just fantastic. Some of the mores frightening enemies and environments are so effectively drawn and animated my skin crawls (but in a good way).

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ya'll have some favorite tracks? I personally love how they work in concern with the game and dynamically shift, but there's some real stand-outs in isolation

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Man the artwork in this game is just fantastic. Some of the mores frightening enemies and environments are so effectively drawn and animated my skin crawls (but in a good way).

Mouldwood in particular was really well done

Ya'll have some favorite tracks? I personally love how they work in concern with the game and dynamically shift, but there's some real stand-outs in isolation

The last boss music is something else

Last edited: