• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing this for a while. This is definitely better than the first game (from difficulty curve, bosses, abilities, story integration) and it seems the team learned a lot from the initial experience, which is nice.

A slight suggestion though is showing the names of different map locations when on the Warp Map. While you may know the general direction of where you're heading, the game should tell you exactly which area's warp it is.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
I recommend using NVIDIA's DSR to run the game at 4K until they add 100+% resolution scaling. I can help you with the steps if you don't know how to. The difference between 4k and 1080p is pretty significant even on a 1080p monitor
Hm even with the new patch I'm experiencing frame drops when moving around with a laptop RTX 2060 even though CPU and GPU usage is very low. This is so annoying, because otherwise the game is perfect :/ I can't stand these stutters
Im interested but idk if my card to push 4k.
I have a 2060 as well and have had really no performance issues or stutters that stood out to me.

Theiea

Oct 27, 2017
Im at 100% completion now, just need to do the final encounter.

Guess I have bugged achievements since Tools of the Trade (94/100) and Lost and Found (99/100) didnt trigger. Oh well.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Great update for PC. Would love to see how it looks with 125-150% resolution scaling.
You can set a higher resolution from the desktop (if you create a custom resolution from the control panel) and launch the game with the new higher resolution to achieve the same effect. Unfortunately the art style is such that I didn't see as significant gain to the image quality as in other games. Its slightly noticeable, but I expected more.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PC people, I think I just found a fix for the framerate issues.

Try turning off rumble. There is a GIANT difference for me in framerate with it on versus off.

thomasmahler does this help at all?

Last edited:

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Decided to try out the hammer for the final boss since I saw people saying it's OP. You guys weren't kidding. Boss died very fast.

Great game overall. Better than the first in pretty much every way.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Just downloaded this on PC. It says it supports HDR, but I don't see any option in the menu? I've got HDR enabled in Windows as well.

edit: Looks like it's not implemented yet
Plans to improve the HDR experience with HDR support for PC is coming soon

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Well, finished the game an hour ago or so.

5/5

Nothing really negative to say. As I read from someone, we probably won´t ever see again a game of this genre with this level of attention, polished (I never came across any technical problem, playing Steam version on a GTX 1060) and complexity. To highlight some of my favourite things:

- Music is epic: it is soft when it has to be and it hits hard when has to do so.
- Visually is one of its kind. I d personally remark the use of color.
- Level design is mental. You just cant put your controller down.
- The movement of Ori is something really unique in videogames. You can do whatever you want very easily.
- The combat feels physical and the boss fights are excellent (especially the last one: really really good).

I think thomasmahler asked for our thoughts about the ending... well, this is my opinion:

I really liked it. I think it is a brave ending. The "sacrifice of the hero", while impactful, is totally coherent within the world rules and paradigm, as Ori being an spirit. The final scenes of a happy family taking care of the tree are pretty cool, and the final tease with the flying leaf was playful. I don´t know what is the future of the series, it is really hard to make a better Ori game. But well, to sum up, you really made a good conclusion with this one.

My only "complaint" was not being able to play it with HDR on, but well I wouldn´t wait to play it just for it.

And from my point of view, this game should be nominated for GOTY, and with real chances of winning it if it wasn´t for the number of really big and largely anticipated titles that are coming out this year.

Congratulations, Moon Studios! From now on, I am really looking forward to your next game.

Kazaam

Oct 26, 2017
London
Great (and obviously beautiful) game, but it definitely has quite a few technical problems (at least on the One X). I seem to also have a bug where a rumor quest regarding the shrine (combat arena) in Howl's Den is not updating (I think because I did that shrine before I got the rumor about it). I saw somebody mention it on page 20 something but was wondering if anyone found a solution to it.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
thomasmahler

a little thing I loved about the music and how it plays in the narrative of the story; Kwoloks music theme changes. The main Kwolok theme is this beautiful and inspiring hook almost reminiscent of the avengers theme, and when you fight the corrupted Kwolok boss fight, Gareth changes the key of this track and it becomes this super eerie and sinister varient of what is normally a beautiful and inspiring theme. Then of course there is a somber version of the theme that plays shortly after the fight. Super clever arrangements by Gareth and clever use of knowing when to utilize these themes for the strongest emotional impacts.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Finished it.

Great experience, despite the bugs.

Ori disappeared in the final cutscene for me, which robbed it of some of its impact...

flyingsaucer

Feb 28, 2020
Im interested but idk if my card to push 4k.
I have a 2060 as well and have had really no performance issues or stutters that stood out to me.
I have a 2060 Super and I can easily maintain a 60 fps with v-sync on, and I think I got around 100 with it off, so you'll probably be fine.
To enable DSR, go to NVIDIA Control Panel > Manage 3D settings > DSR Factors > Tick 4.00x > Set DSR Smoothness to 0% and apply settings
Then go to Display Settings of Windows, there set the desktop resolution to 4K and "Scale and Layout" to 100%
Then, launch the game and set the game resolution to 4K
You need to change the desktop resolution every time you launch the game. This issue will be solved once they've added exclusive fullsreen. But we might see 100+% resolution scaler before that, so one way or the other it will be more convenient once they've added either of these

Boomchil

Nov 1, 2017
France
I love it but the frame rate is absolutely awful on Xbox One X. Just put it at 1080p if needed but give me 60fps please. Or at least enable VRR...

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I can't even launch the game on Xbox One X. The opening animation of Ori running, he starts to slow down, then freezes, then my Xbox hard crashes. I'll scan the thread for others having this problem but it's happened twice now and I'm not gonna bother launching it again.

flyingsaucer

Feb 28, 2020
It's around 10-15h and right now many people are stuck at home. Also it's super awesome and fun to play so it's not that unusual that people have finished it.
I did all side stuff and will probably finish it today.
Idk how anyone can finish this game in 10 hours tbh. I keep stopping to take screenshots and listen to the music

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
Is Spirit Surge good or garbage? The description doesn't specify how much damage bonus it offers.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
damn, just had a crazy bug. doing a combat challenge and the game slowed to a literal crawl, like a literal snes shmup. i went to take a video and the xbox hard locked up. video didnt survive either :/

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
I have a 2060 Super and I can easily maintain a 60 fps with v-sync on, and I think I got around 100 with it off, so you'll probably be fine.
To enable DSR, go to NVIDIA Control Panel > Manage 3D settings > DSR Factors > Tick 4.00x > Set DSR Smoothness to 0% and apply settings
Then go to Display Settings of Windows, there set the desktop resolution to 4K and "Scale and Layout" to 100%
Then, launch the game and set the game resolution to 4K
You need to change the desktop resolution every time you launch the game. This issue will be solved once they've added exclusive fullsreen. But we might see 100+% resolution scaler before that, so one way or the other it will be more convenient once they've added either of these
Thanks! Ill have to give that a shot next time I play.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Spend about an hour to clear an area. Getting ready to fight the boss. "The doors wont open unless you complete all other areas"....

Fuck you haha

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Review:

Symphony of the Night changed everything. As gamers started demanding longer, larger games, the old 2D action platformers of old could no longer be short, linear affairs. SotN took the old foundation, and stretched it out across one massive area. By looking at games like Zelda and Metroid, Konami was able to involve more back-tracking and exploration, greatly extending the playtime. This formula proved to extraordinarily popular, to the point that its become the default mode if you're selling 2D action games in the 21[SUP]st[/SUP] century. With such an overcrowded marketplace, developers have their work cut out trying to stand out.

One such stand out was 2015's Ori and the Blind Forest. Developed by Moon Studios, Blind Forest built on the foundations of games like Metroid and Rayman, but given a unique lush, Studio Ghibli design. It was challenging and beautiful, and a big success for everyone involved. It took five long years, but a sequel in Will of the Wisps has finally arrived, with the mandate of it being the "Super Mario Bros 3 to Blind Forest's Super Mario Bros 1". Its quite a boast, but hands-on with the game backs up that claim.

With remarkable storytelling economy inspired by Disney, the Iron Giant, and Hayao Miyazaki, Moon Studios quickly grabs you with a moving tale about life and death. The cycle of existence, even for some of the ancient spirits in this game, is ultimately finite. The young are taught by the old, who grow up to pass on their knowledge to the next generation. Everything has an end, but is then replaced by something new. Will of the Wisps mines this theme about how all our stories are passed down, and about how our legacies outlive us in the things that are to come.

The world of Ori is rich in detail. There's isn't another Metroidvania with this many lush, vibrant, varied level design. Life teems in the backgrounds and foregrounds of every area, giving the game an huge depth of field. Everything dynamically reacts to Ori's movement, with very natural lighting giving life to the environments. Any single second could basically be a screenshot and picture perfect for desktop wallpaper. This is aided by a frankly extraordinary soundtrack, where every hand designed area gets its own sonic signature, and dynamically shifts to fit the intended tone of every sequence in a cohesive way. There's several hours of songs, each one layered and distinctive, giving the world a ton of atmosphere.

The world is also populated by a lot of NPCs, a far cry from the lonely adventure of the Blind Forest. Each is written with distinctive characterization and Zelda-style "voices". They have a lot of side quests and interactions that build on the main themes of rebirth and storytelling. NPCs pass on knowledge, Ori passes on side quest objectives, and the world of Will of the Wisps slowly regrows over time. There are many types of collectibles to barter with. Not just the usual currency to upgrade moves and powers, but to rebuild the world that had been destroyed by darkness.

Will of the Wisps isn't just a pretty face, of course. Ori is an absolute joy to control, fluid yet precise. Over the course of the game, you gain new abilities that open up previously unattainable areas, mostly helping your movement. It just feels so good to chain together double jumps and dashes, launching yourself in slow-mo off enemy projectiles to grab a hidden collectible. Backtracking and exploration can often seem like filler or tedium in other games, but Will of the Wisps makes the act of navigation itself as a chief pleasure, to the point it never feels boring to retrace your steps.

Combat was one of the main areas of criticisms from Blind Forest. One got the impression the developers were so focused on making the platforming so good, the combat was a secondary concern. The main attacks all seemed balanced around your movement, which makes sense in theory, but it in execution often made combat seem imprecise and mashy. That's been thoroughly overhauled in Will of the Wisps, with dozens of tools and powers to fight with. It starts off simple enough, with light swords and hammers, but eventually you start chaining together air combos, dashes, and projectiles like Bayonetta. It feels tactile and even strategic, as you manage your health/magic systems in both offensive and defensive ways on the fly. New combat also gives Moon Studios the chance to do some very big and very impressive boss fights in addition to their challenging escape sequences. They're giant spectacular climaxes to each area, but they all have distinct visual and audio cues to make them satisfying to figure out and overcome.

The extended development time is apparent everywhere you look. Will of the Wisps is packed with hand designed content, from time trial races, to combat arenas, and even a Zelda-style NPC trading side quest that covers the length of the game. There's been a lot of love poured into this, perfecting and expanding the original Blind Forest several times over, in big and small ways. You could argue Will of the Wisps isn't doing anything particularly "new", rather remixing a lot of great games and movies in one polished package, and I suppose that's true. Doesn't change the fact there isn't another Metroidvania that looks, sounds, or feels as good as this one does on a moment-to-moment basis. All that, on top of a sincere, deeply humane story, and it feels churlish to complain about a lack of originality.

Any way you slice it, Ori and the Will of the Wisps is a colossal achievement. It's not just a frontrunner for Game of the Year; it's a high watermark for the Metroidvania sub-genre Symphony of the Night popularized so long ago.

(edit: I told you I was gonna write about games this year Papercuts Nocturnowl )

Well it's about damn time. Great write up as always, and you sure picked a good game to start that up again with, lol.

One of the big things that hit me was that they really made sure EVERYTHING felt good to control, I can almost imagine them testing ideas that would just get axed if it didn't hit a high enough quality. It feeds back into making the classic metroidvania excitement of getting a new powerup even better, as you don't just get a new tool for progression, you get another great feeling mechanic.

From the slick grappling to the, uh, pretty crazy final unlock it never really stops. Even something that seems like "well...ok" like burrowing or swim dashing ends up feeling really slick, and having extra mechanics on top like dashing near the edges for a big boosted jump. The biggest swerve for me was the Baur's Reach powerup, which at first says it's just used to melt things. Seemed like a really niche powerup more for that specific area, maybe with some combat utility. Then the next tip is that the charged fireballs can be bashed off. God. DAMN. Bash at will pretty much openly given to the player is just asking for them to tinker with it, sequence break, and do all kinds of crazy shit. I love that they're so okay with giving things away like this that can be so obviously abused. Shard system is equally full of ideas like that, like my endgame build that built energy off hits, and converted excess energy to health. AKA Healing on hit, spear nuking enemies and bosses, while using the sword/hammer to build up more spears. Plus I could triple jump, grapple to enemies which then sets up a bash that resets all of those jumps again...etc.

Then we have a spectacle to match. The boss fights that segue into an escape sequence back into a fight. Impressive as hell to look at, just as fun to quickly adapt to and roll with as you play. Fuckin' hell this game is great.

While being super unrelated this also has made me even more excited for Doom Eternal. Hearing devs speak about both games have given me similar vibes, they take an already solid base and make a game that improves on the aspects they knew needed it. Would be great to see two games nail this back to back, this wonky ass looking year could use it.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I've had the degrading performance issue on Xbox One S, which kinda sucks.

Other than that the only bugs I've encountered have been clipping through walls.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a new game+ as in starting over with all your abilities and upgrades? I know you can warp around, but that's not the same thing.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Combat shrines are pretty annoying. It'd be one thing if it had tight combat like Hollow Knight or Guacamelee, but this just isn't on the same level.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Ok, I think I'm done with the game.

I thoroughly enjoyed most of my time with it, got all 4 things, but the
sand worm chase
is some bullshit. I honestly don't get why they feel the need to include these things and make them a hard bar to clear to progress without any grace system, but I guess it's mandatory for some reason.

It's a great game, but now I'm doubly glad I got it on game pass.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Just finished it. Great game, great ending. I'd give it a 9/10.

sand worm chase
is some bullshit. I honestly don't get why they feel the need to include these things and make them a hard bar to clear to progress without any grace system, but I guess it's mandatory for some reason.

To me the chases/escapes are the best part of Ori, and I was a little disappointed because I found them too easy in this one.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017

sand worm chase

Why dont you keep trying, improve and overcome it?

I spent a few tries there also, and I was gradually advancing till I beat it.

It is ok if videogames are challenging sometimes.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I'm torn. The game is beautiful for one, and the combat IS pretty good. But I'm just not into much combat in my platformers. I appreciate all the improvements this game made to the save system and visuals and side content, but I think I would have personally preferred a game more like the first in its platforming focus but with the other improvements that this game made. Basically, I just wish it had less combat.

Still great, though.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Why dont you keep trying, improve and overcome it?

I spent a few tries there also, and I was gradually advancing till I beat it.

It is ok if videogames are challenging sometimes.

Sure. I'm just not great at platforming games, never were. I was in national league in CounterStrike and my twitch aim in fps games is still pretty good, but platforming, not doing so great.
Fuck me for wanting to enjoy the game nonetheless, right?

Edit: to clarify, this was what I was afraid of from the beginning. I just knew I'm going to sink X hours into the game, get good and invested and then hit a wall I simply won't be able to overcome. So I'm a bit bitter, because I honestly think they should let people play at super casual difficulty if they so choose.

Last edited:

CJShields

Oct 27, 2017
Quick question, haven't played this one or the prequel, I know the FAQ at the start says you don't have to have played the first one but should I? Or just jump straight into Will of the Wisps?

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Question about where I'm at, please help so I don't make a mistake!

I got the three wisps that you need before going to the Heart of the Forest. Is this the final area? Is there a point of no return that's obvious? I want to get everything I can done before I finish the game.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sure. I'm just not great at platforming games, never were. I was in national league in CounterStrike and my twitch aim in fps games is still pretty good, but platforming, not doing so great.

Edit: to clarify, this was what I was afraid of from the beginning. I just knew I'm going to sink X hours into the game, get good and invested and then hit a wall I simply won't be able to overcome. So I'm a bit bitter, because I honestly think they should let people play at super casual difficulty if they so choose.
I think you can overcome it.

Is it this part of the chase? Cause if so I got stuck there too and it feels a little BS

The part of the chase where you are going upwards and you have to jump in the sand along the right wall, then jump in the sand along the left wall. For some reason, the game has trouble registering when I want to jump into the sand

But honestly, you're close to the end so I say go for it!!

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018

Is it this part of the chase? Cause if so I got stuck there too and it feels a little BS

The part of the chase where you are going upwards and you have to jump in the sand along the right wall, then jump in the sand along the left wall. For some reason, the game has trouble registering when I want to jump into the sand

Yup, that's it. The other chase sequences I powered through since they're not that long, but this is 90 seconds of zero mistakes.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm only 3 hours into the game so far but absolutely love it. I would review it higher than the first game. Combat feels a lot better and the graphics are simply stunning. But even more than that, the game seems more approachable. Which is big for me since I was a bit turned off by the first one at times. That made me stall and drop off several times. Not the case with Will of the Wisps so far. It's incredible.

lightning16

May 17, 2019

Yeah this part was horrible. Was just awkward as hell. I could easily see why someone would get frustrated at this. Doesn't feel good at all to keep hitting the walls while you're trying to go up here.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017

As any other genre, platformers require practise. And the gratification for overcoming obstacles is also there. In the end, it is obviously up to the time and effort you are willing to put into it.
On the other hand, what if developers want to create a challenging game? (Something that is subjective of course). I think they have all the rights to set what is the minimun difficulty for the game they want to create.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
On the other hand, what if developers want to create a challenging game? (Something that is subjective of course). I think they have all the rights to set what is the minimun difficulty for the game they want to create.

Totally, I get it. But I'd argue that a game that allows someone like me, who isn't great at the genre, to _almost_ finish it, while 100% completing multiple levels, and then spikes the difficulty so that I hit a wall I'm unable to overcome, is not a product of "we want to create a challenging game" developer vision.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Totally, I get it. But I'd argue that a game that allows someone like me, who isn't great at the genre, to _almost_ finish it, while 100% completing multiple levels, and then spikes the difficulty so that I hit a wall I'm unable to overcome, is not a product of "we want to create a challenging game" developer vision.
Definitely agree with this, particularly if something is part of the critical path and not something that's optional.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I really think this problem has not solution. I think this game has some parts that are more challenging than others, but nothing that I would call a "game-breaking difficulty spike". Because again, this is completely subjective and there are several factors to consider here: previous experience, time available, frustration tolerance, etc. etc.

My personal advice is don´t give up, because the last part of the game is amazing. It is ok if you want to try it again tomorrow, or not. It is up to you.

In any case, have a nice one!