• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ClassAndFear

Oct 30, 2017
I'm stuck. I'm in the north mountain bit. Went down a hole under the bear, now setting some fires to illuminate those fireplaces. There are two angry Gorons (sic) and I just don't have a clue where to go. Looks like there's a door with a gust blowing beneath it, but I can't open it. And now it seems like I'm stuck. Any advice?

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I have been playing a bit on Gamepass and probably being in the minority, the game is, to me, a complete dissapointement.
The Blind Forest was close a perfect game but this is one is the "wrong" kind of sequel meaning that it tries to expand something that did not need expanding and whose strenght and perfection lied in its tightness.

Will of the wisp is bloated with side quests, pnjs, trials, boss battles and the general feeling that more is better.
Plus I really dislike the art direction of the bossess and pnjs and I think that the game loses a great mechanic by having an autosave.

If I were a professional reviewer, it would be a problem because the game is obviously a labor of love with extraordinary crafstmanship but as a whole and ase sequel, I think the game is a complete failure that loses pretty much everything that made the first one great.

But if you just want more Ori, you will probably like it a lot.
"Complete failure"? I'm about two hours in, and so far, it addresses what I thought was the first game's biggest weakness: combat. That and the manual save system. Combat's actually pretty engaging here, and just spamming attacks means you're going to get hit and potentially die. In the first game, very few of my deaths came from enemies, and instead were from the environmental hazards. Here, the balance between the two has been better, and the difficulty is relatively high right from the outset, both in terms of combat and accuracy required for platforming.

Traversal feels good and I like that they give you some of the tools that make it more fun and areas accessible early on, while still leaving certain things out of reach. Being able to customize your passive/active skill loadouts has been interesting so far, and the story from the get-go provides some urgency and purpose to do what you're doing.

I think the first Ori DE was a 9/10 game. This is at least its equal, and I hope I come out on the other end of this thinking it's better.

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017
Performance on consoles is underwhelming, hopefully they fix it. Games should not have been released in the current state.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Currently at a loss of where to go after the "water level" not the water mill but the one ending in a boss. Tried the desert area but couldn't progress further after a while.

Oct 25, 2017
Currently at a loss of where to go after the "water level" not the water mill but the one ending in a boss. Tried the desert area but couldn't progress further after a while.

You could go south. There's a fairly non-descript opening near a spider statue down there that takes you to a whole new area.

Well guys, I think Ori 2 basically positions Moon Studios as a Naughty Dog quality studio. Which is absolutely nuts to say, but it is what it is -- the gap between Ori 1 and 2 in terms of, well, everything, is so huge humongous that it reminds me of the quality leap we saw between Witcher 2 and 3. This game is (and I'm really not trying to be hyperbolic here) a reminder of why I play videogames in the first place; it's constantly giving me what I can only describe as orgasmic gameplay moments -- my eyes and ears are fully enveloped in what is going on on the screen, and it is always leaving me with this feeling of "Holy shit." Everything in Ori 2 is firing on all cylinders; the visuals are crisp, glowing and fantastical in a way that no other 2D / 3D hybrid game has compared to. The music is constantly endearing and emotional against the backdrops of the visuals. But these levels? Oh my God, these levels. This is a new benchmark in level design for Metroidvanias. The pacing, thoughtfulness, and logical progression on display here is mastery level. Yes, Ori 2 takes more than a bit of inspiration from its ancestors, but it makes good on it all: this is the first Game of the Year contender for me, and it represents an absolute milestone in achievement in game design. A big congratulations to everyone who hand a hand in the development of this game.

And I'm not even done yet. This fucking game.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017
I'm not reading the thread to avoid spoilers, so apologies if this has been asked before. I'll spoiler mark my question as it involves an NPC/shop later on in the game, but I need to know if I've encountered a bug or if I'm missing something as I'm genuinely confused.

The map maker has a shop in the village. He sells items/spirit shards that reveal secrets on the map. I have about 8,000 spirit light right now, but I cannot purchase any of his wares. Every time I do, I get a message that says "not enough spirit light". I've restarted my game several times, warped away from the village and come back, yet I still cannot purchase them. Is there something I'm missing?

Anyone have any idea on how to fix this?

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Are achievements glitched?

I have all the energy and life shards and don't have the achievements for maxxing out both.

I also just finished the game on hard mode and didn't get either the "Complete the game" or "Complete the game on hard mode" achievements.

Nov 13, 2017
already done the moulded area too.

You can progress through the desert until you get to a door, but you do need the ability from the desert to progress throughout the game. The three wisps are in the mountains past the bear cave, the spider area, and the pools. Sounds like you need to go to the mountains. Entrance is near the village.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
You can progress through the desert until you get to a door, but you do need the ability from the desert to progress throughout the game. The three wisps are in the mountains past the bear cave, the spider area, and the pools. Sounds like you need to go to the mountains. Entrance is near the village.

Cant get past through to the mountains..

certain something is in the way and can't move it.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Nov 13, 2017
Cant get past through to the mountains..

I have a feeling I know why. The puzzles there are a bit confusing.

You need to use the Flap ability on the soup pots. When the gust of air hits the coals underneath, the pot boils and spits out a fireball. You need to use Bash to direct this fireball to the frozen shrine-looking statues. They're basically ovens that heat the surrounding area through vents. This will cause the vines to get de-iced so you can traverse. It's frustrating but fun once you get the hang of it.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Man, this part was really hard for me:

Mouldwood Depths. Following the light of the flying bug is cool, but I died repeatedly in several points. Also, the giant spider completely destroyed me in my first attempt. I equiped the more life and energy shards, the one that reduces the damage received, as well as the healing skill, and I did pretty well.

I kinda liked this map in the end, with the lights on of course lol

Last edited:

valentine71

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I borrowed my friend's xbox and bought gamepass ult for this and have a quick question. what do i look at to see if it installed the day one patch? ps4 has this update history option, but can't really find one for this and the "updates" page doesn't show anything

You can press menu on the shortcut of the game and pick Manage Game and Expansions something and it will list expansions, updates, etc (if there are any).

Known Issues & Bug Status Report - March 13th
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
"Known Issues & Bug Status Report"
www.orithegame.com

Ori and the Will of the Wisps Patch Now Available [5.14]

Dear Ori Fans, We’d like to thank all of you for the heartwarming words of support, constructive feedback, and patience as we improve the game and address the issues some of you have encountered.

New patch coming next week.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Man, this part was really hard for me:

Mouldwood Depths. Following the light of the flying bug is cool, but I died repeatedly in several points. Also, the giant spider completely destroyed me in my first attempt. I equiped the more life and energy shards, as well the one that reduces the damage received, and I did pretty well.

I kinda liked this map in the end, with the lights on of course lol

Yeah I didn't like that area much at all much too frustrating really.

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
It's illegal how gorgeous the art and music can be. Seriously sometimes I just stop playing for being in awe of what I'm seeing and hearing.

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
"Known Issues & Bug Status Report"
www.orithegame.com

Ori and the Will of the Wisps Patch Now Available [5.14]

Dear Ori Fans, We’d like to thank all of you for the heartwarming words of support, constructive feedback, and patience as we improve the game and address the issues some of you have encountered.

New patch coming next week.

Xbox:
  • Improving performance on both Xbox One X and Xbox One S across the entire game as well as during busy combat scenarios
  • Removing the stutters on Xbox One S and Xbox One X after longer periods of play time
  • Addressing various gameplay, localization and technical bugs
  • Additional improvements are also planned for the Xbox One version later this year, including plans to improve the HDR support for Xbox One
Well, at least that's something. Such a bummer. Technical issues with two major games (sound in Reach) and the performance in this game. Well, patience shall prevail.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
So I finished with 100% earlier today. Barring the technical issues, off the top my head I think my only significant criticism is some of the boss phases can be pretty messy, both in trying to parse out what attacks they'll be doing and what is even happening on screen. The last phase of the final boss is especially egregious of this, I even watched a streamer have the same "what the heck just killed me" or "where am I" reactions to it. Minor criticism is that I think triple jump + upwards attack gets you to a little too many places too early. I'm down for casual sequence breaking, especially when it's just amounting to an early collectible, just not quite this frequent and not such a one-size fits all solution. I was a bit bummed that the farmer guy planting his seeds didn't do much for me because I had basically gotten everything in town via that method. Last but least I think you either should've gotten unique dialogue and/or map prices for free if you acquire or mark all the collectibles before buying the collectible maps from Lupo.

Other than that though...it was excellent. I loved it. Just tremendously good in every aspect and such a giant leap from the first game that it practically makes it look like a prototype in comparison. Even the soundtrack is so much more varied and interesting to match the wildly different locales, and when they finally do clearly weave the main theme back in it hits hard. The level design in some of these is so damn good in the way it combines traditional platforming mechanics with your abilities, like using the feather to push bubbles (which act like springs) to get to different places in Luma Pools. Also after seeing it in the trailer I was looking forward to the burrow ability all game and it did not disappoint - it's a pure blast to use and I could take a whole game designed around it (actually I'm pretty sure there is one coming out). I already stated it before but it is an visual and audio marvel from beginning to end. I don't think screens do it justice, especially ones just showing critical shots or cut-scenes. It's more stunning in motion, moment to moment.

I don't know when we'll ever get a Metroidvania with this level of production again, so I'll be bittersweetly looking forward to playing this in the following years.

Last edited:

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
So I just jumped back on after a day's break and I can't for the life of me figure out how to progress... I swear I've been everywhere and hit dead ends or impassable walls/goop etc. What am I missing that I've forgotten? (Still in Inkwater)

GYm4EMK.jpg

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
So I just jumped back on after a day's break and I can't for the life of me figure out how to progress... I swear I've been everywhere and hit dead ends or impassable walls/goop etc. What am I missing that I've forgotten? (Still in Inkwater)

GYm4EMK.jpg

Once you find the 2 eyes in the NE most section, the Toad mouth should open, allowing you to pass further

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
No issues on either of my gaming PCs, my desktop or my laptop. Played some at 1440p/144fps on my desktop and playing at 1080p/60 on my laptop (1660ti+9750h)

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Digital Foundry analysis:

Before playing the game for some reason I thought it was mostly 3D now unlike the original Ori but after actually playing it it's clearly still (mostly) composed of layered 2D images. I wonder where's the bottleneck. Maybe it's just the game pushing Unity in ways the engine isn't designed for or something.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Console performance is pretty ass looking at that DF video. They actually do show the 1X dropping to 35fps like big Edge has been talking about.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
Really wish it was a bit clearer on what youre missing to get 100% in each area. Ive gotten all the collectibles and as far as i can tell seen the whole map in a few areas but its still at 99% for them

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Big boss west.

So annoying he everytime does something different. How do you also dodge that underwater pull attack? I am on the walls but it sucks me in.
Also another tips?

Last edited:

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Really wish it was a bit clearer on what youre missing to get 100% in each area. Ive gotten all the collectibles and as far as i can tell seen the whole map in a few areas but its still at 99% for them

Have you done all the side quests?

I wonder if those particular areas you currently have 99% for contains an npc who's involved in that rather long side quest that takes you all over the map.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Frog boss....

So annoying he everytime does something different. How do you also dodge that underwater pull attack? I am on the walls but it sucks me in.
Also another tips?

I just finally beat this boss. How far in the game are you? That area was my second wisp and honestly if you're in the same situation I would just do another area first and come back, the boss has a ton of health and if you don't have some good upgraded attacks and a lot of health it's hard.

You dodge the pull attack by just doing the underwater dash repeatedly. My best advice is just to stay as far away from the boss as you can, his attacks can be difficult to react to if you're too close.

I would spoiler what the boss is BTW.

it's constantly giving me what I can only describe as orgasmic gameplay moments --

I like the game too but it sounds like a thesaurus would be a wise investment.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
How the heck are people deciding on which Spirit Shards to slot? I've barely unlocked any and I'm already struggling to pick.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, by the end of this game there are so many different ways to fling yourself through the air.

How the heck are people deciding on which Spirit Shards to slot? I've barely unlocked any and I'm already struggling to pick.
It honestly doesn't matter that much if you're skilled at the basic gameplay. I used the ones that give you health and energy for killing enemies, the light magnet, and wall sticky for the whole game. The rest were whatever.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I just finally beat this boss. How far in the game are you? That area was my second wisp and honestly if you're in the same situation I would just do another area first and come back, the boss has a ton of health and if you don't have some good upgraded attacks and a lot of health it's hard.

You dodge the pull attack by just doing the underwater dash repeatedly. My best advice is just to stay as far away from the boss as you can, his attacks can be difficult to react to if you're too close.

Was my first Wisps boss. I got it finally. Just stayed on the wall alot, taking shots, big hammer sometimes. Under water just moving arround alot. Hoping you get those missiles your can returns.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Also another tips?

Keep using the water dash in the opposite direction to avoid the pull. In general ranged attacks are your friend for this fight, Spirit Spike in particular is very useful once the water rises since you can just leap out and get a shot off rather than a few weak shots with the bow. If you keep your distance you can usually react to any of his ranged moves, and remember you can use Bash to reflect some of his projectiles back at him for a lot of damage.

EDIT: Oh you got it. I found the hammer pretty useless for that fight.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I finished with 100% earlier today. Barring the technical issues, off the top my head I think my only significant criticism is some of the boss phases can be pretty messy, both in trying to parse out what attacks they'll be doing and what is even happening on screen. The last phase of the final boss is especially egregious of this, I even watched a streamer have the same "what the heck just killed me" or "where am I" reactions to it. Minor criticism is that I think triple jump + upwards attack gets you to a little too many places too early. I'm down for casual sequence breaking, especially when it's just amounting to an early collectible, just not quite this frequent and not such a one-size fits all solution. I was a bit bummed that the farmer guy planting his seeds didn't do much for me because I had basically gotten everything in town via that method. Last but least I think you either should've gotten unique dialogue and/or map prices for free if you acquire or mark all the collectibles before buying the collectible maps from Lupo.

Other than that though...it was excellent. I loved it. Just tremendously good in every aspect and such a giant leap from the first game that it practically makes it look like a prototype in comparison. Even the soundtrack is so much more varied and interesting to match the wildly different locales, and when they finally do clearly weave the main theme back in it hits hard. The level design in some of these is so damn good in the way it combines traditional platforming mechanics with your abilities, like using the feather to push bubbles (which act like springs) to get to different places in Luma Pools. Also after seeing it in the trailer I was looking forward to the burrow ability all game and it did not disappoint - it's a pure blast to use and I could take a whole game designed around it (actually I'm pretty sure there is one coming out). I already stated it before but it is an visual and audio marvel from beginning to end. I don't think screens do it justice, especially ones just showing critical shots or cut-scenes. It's more stunning in motion, moment to moment.

I don't know when we'll ever get a Metroidvania with this level of production again, so I'll be bittersweetly looking forward to playing this in the following years.

I had the same problem with the town hub. You can get everywhere without needing any of the plants so when I unlocked those it was very underwhelming.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Damn people cheating on the spirit trial PC leaderboards, using shard moves and powers.

7AB846DB3FEA01AA587D09647F6B9F395133E860

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Keep using the water dash in the opposite direction to avoid the pull. In general ranged attacks are your friend for this fight, Spirit Spike in particular is very useful once the water rises since you can just leap out and get a shot off rather than a few weak shots with the bow. If you keep your distance you can usually react to any of his ranged moves, and remember you can use Bash to reflect some of his projectiles back at him for a lot of damage.

EDIT: Oh you got it. I found the hammer pretty useless for that fight.
Yeah you can stun him that way. And keep being in the air also.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really understand it. What for? There's no achievement for beating the trials on a specific par time. Just beat the ghost and that's it. It may take some trails but it's feasible.
I guess they have cheats enabled for the entire game to have every power unlocked or something like that.