• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So... Have they said anything yet about the day 1 patch coming out on the PC Gamepass version? Cause it's been more than one day now and I still have nothing on my end...

I got like a 8 gig patch on PC Gamepass the day after launch, not sure what it was intended to solve but then again I personally wasn't having any real issues with performance beforehand.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
My Mouldwood Depths map completion rate is at 99% but there aren't any collectibles left on there. Wut.

Guys where the heck is the entrance to the top path there? I can't for the life of me find it. It just seems to be a normal ceiling.

Hunerq7.jpg
Nowhere. You get 100% on that map with that hole in the ceiling, it doesn't matter.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I got like a 8 gig patch on PC Gamepass the day after launch, not sure what it was intended to solve but then again I personally wasn't having any real issues with performance beforehand.
It's been out since yesterday, if you can move Ori with the d pad then you have it installed.
Hmmm I still couldn't use the D-Pad when I played last night and I haven't seen an update download in the store or the xbox app today... I'll give it a try during my lunch break

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
I take it not that many people here have completed Will of the Wisps yet? Would love to hear some thoughts about the story once you folks saw the credits roll :)

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I just checked and I still can't move using the D-Pad... Not sure why the patch wouldn't download. Not finding anything when clicking on "Get Updates" in the Microsoft Store.

Anyway... Not a big deal, I just find it odd

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I love the animations in this game, there's so much plasticity to your movements.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
Game is amazing, I'm about 4 hours in. I found my way to a lot of underwater areas but I'm going to go back and get the breathe underwater upgrade before tackling them.

No stress quite like running out of air stress.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I take it not that many people here have completed Will of the Wisps yet? Would love to hear some thoughts about the story once you folks saw the credits roll :)

It's a beautiful story.

I imagine the floating leaf is there to leave the room open for a sequel or spinoff.

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
if you have the dash, triple jump, and bash abilities, there is a 4 legged enemy that bounces high off the ground nearby. bring him near there and try to get him high off the ground and then use bash. be careful there is a huge gap as evident in the map. you dont want the enemy falling in there or else you will have to wait for the enemy to respawn again.

Took a while but it worked, thanks!

disgraciau

Oct 27, 2017
Ibiza, Balearic Islands, Spain

A really beautiful story and even more beautiful ending.

Ori sacrificing himself for the sake of her friend and the whole Niwen forest, "ascending" as a Spirit Tree was something else. And watching the tree and the main characters grow as the time passes was... undescriptible levels of emotions. Extra kudos to the detail of their shapes showing up on Ori's Spirit Tree.

Shriek's story was very sad and tragic. She only lived being feared, hated and rejected by others. When Ori tried to reason with her and she rejected it, I knew that a redemption similar to Kuro's sacrifice in Blind Forest was out of reach. Watching her returning to her "home" and laying dead along his petrified parents was... really sad

I hope in some years you guys come back to make more adventures in the world of Ori, despite not being that character again for obvious reasons. Who knows... that white leaf leaves the door open for anything...

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'll put it in a spoiler as it's a late-game moment. Check out how much this stutters on Xbox One S.

ouch

I wonder what's the bottleneck. Before playing it I was under the wrong impression that the graphics were 3D now but the scenery still seems to be mostly 2D layers.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, this might honestly be the best looking game I've ever played. Every inch is wonderfully beautiful.

Luma Pools is something else 😋

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
did you happen to move your game from an external to internal drive?

also anyone having achievement issues?
Nope, this is off a straight install to the internal. I don't use an external. I deleted the install, deleted another 200GB of space just to make sure, and it's still doing it. :(

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
So I finally started running onto some freezes. It seems Ori doesn't like suspend/resume anymore.

Anyway, I'm loving the combat even though my reflexes and dexterity aren't what they used to be. The game legit feels like Ninja Gaiden sometimes when you're fighting while platforming. I also love how landing a hit with the hammer gets you another jump.

Last edited:

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Question about a supposedly early game skill you can buy. Going to put in spoilers just in case.

I keep seeing in places online that you can buy a skill called Water Breath from Opher when you get to the hub area, but I just got there and he doesn't have it. Does he get it later or am I doing something wrong?

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Are the escape sequences speed and difficulty changed by being on hard mode? I just finished one in the sand area near the end of the game and holy shit that was hard, was that supposed to be as difficult as it was? I am playing on hard mode and I died nearly 100+ times at that, nothing else in the game has given me that much trouble either.

GreySquirrel

Oct 27, 2017
Patiently awaiting PC HDR news. Is this the best place to check? I'm playing fast and loose skimming the posts with my weird thing about spoilers

Nbz

Oct 26, 2017
UK
My Mouldwood Depths map completion rate is at 99% but there aren't any collectibles left on there. Wut.

Nowhere. You get 100% on that map with that hole in the ceiling, it doesn't matter.
Welp that's a bummer because the only unmapped part of that area for me is in the part where you do the escape sequence and is now locked off. Guess it got bugged because it should have automatically mapped that whole area. Seems like I won't be able to truly 100% because of a bug :/

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Are the escape sequences speed and difficulty changed by being on hard mode? I just finished one in the sand area near the end of the game and holy shit that was hard, was that supposed to be as difficult as it was? I am playing on hard mode and I died nearly 100+ times at that, nothing else in the game has given me that much trouble either.
Yes. Don't play on Hard Mode unless you REALLY are an Ori-afficionado. Hard Mode is there for people who played through the game on normal numerous times and know the game inside and out. It's not like your other games where Hard Mode is really the 'Normal' difficult mode that everyone should play. It will make you sweat and rage and scream, don't say you haven't been warned. We even make you confirm again when picking hard mode in the title screen...

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Yes. Don't play on Hard Mode unless you REALLY are an Ori-afficionado. Hard Mode is there for people who played through the game on normal numerous times and know the game inside and out. It's not like your other games where Hard Mode is really the 'Normal' difficult mode that everyone should play. It will make you sweat and rage and scream, don't say you haven't been warned. We even make you confirm again when picking hard mode in the title screen...
I actually have really enjoyed the hard mode adjustments for the majority of the game, just that one segment was an insane jump in difficulty for me specifically, but thanks for the clarification! I like the challenge, it was less of a complaint and more a curiosity, I was just super surprised by it.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Where is the menu to setting your B, Y, A weapons? I'm lost here lol.

blacklotus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, was enjoying this game so much (never played any Ori) and i got stuck under a rock, tried jumping, screen went black, did some kind of achievement where i kill 5 enemies in the air and now i'm stuck on the black screen.
Exiting and resuming returns me to the black screen.

Fuck.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Started the game today.

Spent about 10 minutes on the title screen just soaking in the beautiful art and the music. After that, it was time for that amazing intro. I recall giving feedback for Blind Forest that I wanted more story. So I absolutely loved the longer intro in the sequel. It's amazing how the developers can create an emotional response from these relatively small intros. Amazing!

Moving on to playing the game, and the first thing you notice is the unbelievable graphics. Man, the colors absolutely pop. And this is without HDR since PC version doesn't have it yet. Ori's movement feels so good to control. I love the additions of Shards which you slot to gain various abilities (like more damage or magnet, etc). The combat also feels really fun now. The addition of various weapons is excellent! The animations and the feel of combat is fantastic! I also remember giving feedback about meeting more NPCs for the original Ori and am glad to see it being implemented here. The fake language the NPCs used felt a little similar to Hollow Knight though and it didn't sound like the one that the Speaker of the game uses at the intro. The soundtrack is gorgeous and running through these beautiful environments with this music is absolute bliss.

Regarding ability and button mapping, I think it might have been better to have people map the abilities from the menu. This would have freed up LT and could have been used for three more abilities like LT+X, LT+Y, etc. I was hoping that maybe keyboard would have a dedicated button for each ability that I could set up as a macro on the controller, but that's not the case. If anyone knows of a way more abilities can be mapped to shortcuts, please share.

I'd also love if we can get:
- Hide Hud option (or dynamic hud)
- PS4 controller icons (menu toggle)

I'm still very early in the game, but taking it nice and slow! Enjoy a few gifs below:

flyingsaucer

Feb 28, 2020
Oh man, was enjoying this game so much (never played any Ori) and i got stuck under a rock, tried jumping, screen went black, did some kind of achievement where i kill 5 enemies in the air and now i'm stuck on the black screen.
Exiting and resuming returns me to the black screen.

Fuck.
Did you try loading a backup save from the menu?

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017

Amazing how the plot is basically the manifestation of "Make like a tree and leave" :p

Jokes aside. it was a touching ending. Did Shriek die alone at the end there? :( I really hoped they could end up being brought around but i guess it'd be too similar to the first game. Also, I did an :O face irl when the narrator voice was Ori all along!

Sadly my game errored and only showed a black screen in the cutscene just after Ku got hospitalized so i wasn't really sure what the wisps were or why everything had turned to stone throughout the game .

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
This one?

youtu.be

Ori and the Will of the Wisps - Frog Kwolok Boss Fight Made Simple (Toad, Corrupted)

SIMPLE, EASY TO FOLLOW GUIDE/SOLUTION! Stuck? I got you! The Will of the Wisp: remain unfound. Thanks to Xbox for providing me with a review copy of the game!

Yeah, that's the one. This is really frustrating, I guess I just screwed myself by buying the wrong upgrades. That fire bomb move they're using in this video does WAY more damage than anything I have right now, but I don't have it. The person in the video has about double the health I currently do, so they're able to make way more mistakes and be fine. Thanks for this, but unfortunately it doesn't seem like there's much here I can make use of.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Ori is canonically genderless, like the knight in Hollow Knight.

Got lots of thoughts! :)

The story's alright, but to be completely honest I think the music and animation does all of the heavy lifting. Naru and Gumo from the start of the game are supposed to be these important family members to Ori but they're virtually absent for the entire story, so it kind of feels like they were tacked on to the beginning and ending just to borrow emotional credit from the first game. Which is fair. The first game generated a shit ton of emotional credit. But for anyone who hasn't played the first game or doesn't remember it very well it's just not that interesting to see, which makes it feel like an MCU-tier easter egg they put in for the comic readers' benefit.

Shriek was a pretty classic disney villain. Takes one spurning in her youth and turns it into a lifetime of misery and darkness. If she didn't have such a cool visual and audio design I think she would end up being pretty forgettable, because she doesn't really do anything besides stalk around and kill things that make noise. From Ori's perspective this advances the plot I guess but from her perspective this was a Tuesday. Ku is still a young owl, not like the elders who spurned Shriek, so I don't even readily believe that she had a personal grievance against Ku unless she's just that petty and maladapted.

I don't really understand why all the Moki were so despondent about Ku's death, for that matter. They didn't even know Ku, and it seems like they might not have had a great relationship with the owls to begin with. I feel like they would have used this emotional energy instead for Kwolok's passing. Like Jabba the Hutt's minions grieved more over their dinosaur dying than the Moki did over Kwolok, besides that one who gives you the amulet. That imbalance really made it feel like the story is just about things that happen to Ori, not things that happen to the world at large. Which is frustrating because I can tell you guys were trying to do the opposite with things like making the Moki concerned about their drinking water, or making the spiders happy that the darkness was gone.

Speaking of the spiders, I don't really understand the connection between beating the shit out of Mora and freeing her from the corruption. Like when you beat the shit out of corrupted Kwolok he dies and the octopus monster puppeteering him abandons ship. And then Baur was woken up by freeing the memory of the forest. So besides just video game logic, why was punching and blasting Mora a good thing for her? I didn't feel any connective tissue there at all.

Was there ever planned to be more going on with Howl? Mokke the Brave makes a big deal about letting people know that Howl is dead and they have a trophy, but then literally nobody else comments on this. What was Howl's relationship to the world? People seem plenty scared of Shriek, so much so that people only call her by her terrifying sound, and ostensibly the same should be true about Howl but that just doesn't bear out at all. Where did he come from?

Also, what actually is Lupo? I'm not trying to be rude but of all the things that don't make sense in the game that makes the least sense. He's not animal, he's not spirit, he's not person. He's just like a weird PlayTonic reject who happens to exist in the world inexplicably. Why does he like mapping? Is he from another land of spring-eared people and will be reporting his work back to them? Who are his normal customers? What was the point of adding him instead of map stones that the first game's lore already established, especially when all of the area maps are ridiculously cheap? Does he have any stake in the world? Him and Twillen feel like they were designed for another game, or maybe before any of this game was fleshed out. But at least Twillen can be hand-waived with his enjoyable and exuberant I'm so mysterious vibe. This is separate from asking where did Kwolok or Baur or Mora or the giant sand worm come from, because those creatures are presented as beings beyond common understanding, but the map maker is presented as essentially another random adventurer who lives among the common folk in a hut in the glade.

While I'm addressing things that are more a commentary on the world-building, I would have liked to see more about the gorons. We know that most of them perished from The Decay, whatever that is. We don't really know much about them besides that they built really tall stone towers. I know not everything needs an explanation (and that's going to be half the response to this post) but the way Gorm talked about his people, and then when you meet the one uncorrupted goron in the snow level, it felt like it was leading to something. Something other than just an abandoned ruin with conspicuously accurate mosaics filling in Ori's backstory. Why were these people in their towers of stone even susceptible to biological decay, when stone is famously inert? Especially because like the whole deal in the silent forest was all these petrified creatures. I feel like there was a lot of room to contrast who the gorons were as a society separate from the main body of the forest, who perhaps developed a symbiosis in other ways. But it's just not delivered on. Why were the gorons the ones with the prophecy about the cycle of the forest when they didn't even live in the forest proper? It doesn't feel like the natural development of a story's plot or world exploration. It just feels like a different video game biome based on wanting a desert temple ruin level as the penultimate chapter.

Ori's linking the flame at the end of the game is not telegraphed very well. In Dark Souls we learn about the concept of linking the flame at the very start of the game, so for the duration of play it's established as something that can happen. In Hollow Knight the cycle is introduced a couple hours in and then expanded as the primary plot for the duration of the game. In WotW linking the flame is something the Willow just suggests with about half an hour left. So it's not something the player is allowed to dwell upon for very long, nor for anyone else in the game to speculate on. So combined with the fact that Ori's family members sailing on the raft weren't there for the vast majority of the game, it just doesn't mean a whole lot in the end when they turn into a tree and their family is excited to have made a new home or whatever. For contrast I really liked the imagery of Shriek cuddling in with her family at her final resting place a lot. That was a really nice way to end her story, because those petrified remains had been looming large for most of the game and had obvious import.

Structurally, I'm a big fan of the order of the story. I liked that first act takes place in a rather linear fashion, and then that the second act is multiple choice, and then it all gets brought home for final act. Not that that's novel, but it was quite well implemented here, and it didn't feel like the story was out of order to go to the luma pools or snow world or mouldwood first.

Okay. Those are my thoughts :)

Last edited:

Vetinari

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Edit: I had a very negative first impression of the game but I take everything back.
It is an amazing sequel that feels a little less tight than the first one but that also improves on it in many ways.

Last edited:

ramenline

Jan 9, 2019
I borrowed my friend's xbox and bought gamepass ult for this and have a quick question. what do i look at to see if it installed the day one patch? ps4 has this update history option, but can't really find one for this and the "updates" page doesn't show anything

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone notice how weird the PC version of the game is? The framerate drops, but my monitor shows locked frame rate. My monitor could measure frame rate based on G sync. Very strange.

jikevgw

Jan 22, 2020

I have been playing a bit on Gamepass and probably being in the minority, the game is, to me, a complete dissapointement.
The Blind Forest was close a perfect game but this is one is the "wrong" kind of sequel meaning that it tries to expand something that did not need expanding and whose strenght and perfection lied in its tightness.

Will of the wisp is bloated with side quests, pnjs, trials, boss battles and the general feeling that more is better.
Plus I really dislike the art direction of the bossess and pnjs and I think that the game loses a great mechanic by having an autosave.

If I were a professional reviewer, it would be a problem because the game is obviously a labor of love with extraordinary crafstmanship but as a whole and ase sequel, I think the game is a complete failure that loses pretty much everything that made the first one great.

But if you just want more Ori, you will probably like it a lot.
i completely disagree. I love everything they added to the game .

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished it. I'm not sure if I'm more sad about the ending or just that it's over. But either way... damn. What a beautiful game. Just every single thing about it. Anything less than 11/10 for this is criminal.

Honestly I'm not sure if I want a sequel, because this game for me was perfect. And although there were a lot of new abilities in this one and new puzzles to solve, I'm not sure where they go from there. But if anyone can figure it out, Moon Studios can. All I know is that I really really really look forward to their next game.

Nbz

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Loved the final twist that Ori was the narrator all along. Question though...did you guys know that was the case in the first game as well? Or was the narrator in the first game someone else?