• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

b0uncyfr0

Apr 2, 2018
Managed to get it pretty stable - my only real concern atm is Vsync. Its still active at 1080p (my native res) when it's turned off. But after switching to 4K, it magically goes above 75hz...

What is this strange behaviour, why is it tied to the resolution and if it's a feature, whats the logic here? And yes ive tried to override it at 1080p, via NV panel. No difference.

flyingsaucer

Feb 28, 2020
Do you guys prefer to play with v-sync on or off? It gets noticeably less smooth when I disable it at around 100 fps (with a 60hz monitor), but you obviously get, again noticeably, less input lag. When I enable it, it is buttery smooth, alas with the addition of a bit of an input lag. I feel like smoothness takes priority for me, even though it is a platformer where input lag is pretty important. I wish I had a g-sync or g-sync compatible monitor

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Wow the last phase of the final boss is kinda crazy. But i feel like i did something similiar in another game before.

b0uncyfr0

Apr 2, 2018
So, PC people with GSync/FreeSync and high framerate displays... how the hell are you making the game feel smooth? I have V-Sync on and GSync active for both windowed and fullscreen and I don't think is working, it feels kinda like frame-pacing but I'm not totally sure.
If you have the steam version - try the fullscreen fix on steam forums. If you have the gamepass version, you' might be out of luck but you can try
- Capping it - Seem's ppl have had luck with that.
- I personally use uwphook to export the game to steam and launch from there. For some reason, playing via steam gave me a much better frametime on blind forest. Might be worth a shot before capping.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
So, PC people with GSync/FreeSync and high framerate displays... how the hell are you making the game feel smooth? I have V-Sync on and GSync active for both windowed and fullscreen and I don't think is working, it feels kinda like frame-pacing but I'm not totally sure.

Do I need to lock the game at 60? :(
I don't have a gsync monitor so take this with a grain of salt but I thought you were supposed to leave vsync off? Like have gsync or freesync on in settings along with having the monitor set to its max frame rate then leave all in game sync options and frame limit options off.

b0uncyfr0

Apr 2, 2018
I feel like smoothness takes priority for me, even though it is a platformer where input lag is pretty important. I wish I had a g-sync or g-sync compatible monitor
Agreed. Even though i cant turn Vsync off at 1080p - i've played at 75hz vsync'd with ultra latency turned on in NV setting's compared to 1800p at around 80-90 fps. Vsynced 75z felt smoother with maybe a really small smidge of extra latency But i noticed in motion heavy scenes, the difference was night and day for smoothness.

So i would recommend vsync.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017

Seems to run fine for me in actual gameplay. Some times during panning cutscenes, i do see a little choppiness/chugging frames, but nothing i really notice in gameplay.

144hz GSync display. Worth noting that GSync does not work by default in Unity games as they're not running in True Fullscreen mode, but the devs have stated they're working on a patch to force it.

Ragona

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished it in ~20 hours with 92% completion rate on normal and... oh damn I love this game.
Next to Bloodborne and the Witcher 3 probably in my top 3 of this generation.
Heartfelt, challenging, brillant level design. Apart from some technical flaws (Xbox one X) this game is nearly flawless to me. Cant wait to play this again on next gen Xbox.
Hope this is the benchmark for more future Microsoft games, makes having all consoles so much worth it.

ChristianM

Mar 21, 2018
Sweden

G-Sync does not seem to work. It only creates stutter if I turn it on. Using vsync in the nvidia control panel also introduces stuttering for some reason. Using the in game vsync makes the game incredibly smooth with no stutters. It might mean you'll have to cap the framerate though.

Also, fullscreen in the game is not really fullscreen. It's a borderless window.

I don't have a gsync monitor so take this with a grain of salt but I thought you were supposed to leave vsync off?

No, vsync should be on even when with a gsync display. Otherwise you'll get tearing when the framerate goes above the screen max hz.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I know everyone loves the hammer, but the late game upgraded Lance just absolutely destroyed everything I came across. Granted it takes a LOT of energy per use, but my god I was shredding the final boss

I'm using the Hammer and the Lance (Spike I think it's called?) and the latter is just a dedicated "Delete target enemy" button.

Though I'm actually valuing the hammer for its knockback more than its damage. Being able to tee-shot enemies into spikes or water for an instant kill is very useful.

disgraciau

Oct 27, 2017
Ibiza, Balearic Islands, Spain
Ok, i'm in Windswept Wastes after escaping from the sandworm . I've also beaten the "Hand to Hand" sidequest. And the problem is...

1057090_20200312231504qjia.png

Seriously, what am I missing? I have even beaten the spirit trial from the area.

Edit: Nevermind, I just slided through the left wall of the peak, I went to the spirit well and now it's 100%. LOL, it can be sometimes really nitpicky about map exploration.

Last edited:

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
This game...my god!! Absolutely blown away but what I've played so far.

Midgame big spoiler

Fuck you Shriek!! My owl friend :(

That entire sequence has me fucked up right now. Taking a break lol.

This is easily my GOTY so far and it's gonna be hard to beat. I can't get over how beautiful it is. And the soundtrack is just phenomenal. Very few performance issues too, so I've been lucky. I don't want this game to end

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
This is game is so damn amazing. Only issue is the performance on x1x. Slow down and some stuttering. Once they fix that, this will be one of Xbox's defining games!!

Nbz

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I'm using the Hammer and the Lance (Spike I think it's called?) and the latter is just a dedicated "Delete target enemy" button.

Though I'm actually valuing the hammer for its knockback more than its damage. Being able to tee-shot enemies into spikes or water for an instant kill is very useful.
Yeah the knockback for an environmental kill with the hammer is super satisfying. I think on my next playthrough I'll try the Ninja star since I didn't give it a shot at all

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
steamcommunity.com

Steam Community :: Screenshot :: Wellspring Spirit Trial... Moon Studios, please turn down the brightness here!

Steam Community: Ori and the Will of the Wisps. Wellspring Spirit Trial... Moon Studios, please turn down the brightness here!

This is part of the Wellspring Spirit Trial.

That lantern in the white spot is not very visible - which kinda sucks when I need to see the blue angle outline to time the jump.

I'm usually beating my ghost by a full screen when I get here. but I keep losing, because I have no idea where the grapple will take me.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
It's getting to that point where the graphics are so fluid that sometimes I have to think about whether thats a platform I can jump on or not.

disgraciau

Oct 27, 2017
Ibiza, Balearic Islands, Spain
The Side quest achievement didn't unlock to me. And I did every single side quest. In the menu is also filled every single hole:

1057090_2020031223541dhkhr.png

Maybe i need to purchase the last upgrade from Grom?

Edit: Ok, i'm dumb. I didn't see the Grom sidequest icon.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Xtortion gave me the sage advice of "turning the Xbox off and on again", apparently this actually did something, my last stretch of gameplay was infinitely smoother and felt to me more like the Ori of old....except not quite, because it's better.

I'm not mad in thinking the water mill might be better than any area of the original game right? the topsy turvey room towards the end was a sublime bit of design and that chase *chef kiss*
Grapple is cool but a bit finicky, had to remove the skill that allows it to snap to an enemy as it interfered with bash antics.

Loving the more populated world and I'm really thinking Coker might've topped himself with the OST as well going by what I've heard so far.
Finishing up for today having just done those bleak woods of which the actual name escapes me, yeah I'm gonna need a sleep after that.

I need to find some good Ku avatar material, alas my own screens don't come out looking so great.
Is it just me or my Xbox one but some cutscenes are super blurry or something? Looks weird at times. Also my game just freezes for like 5s or more at a time, especially when it auto saves.
I went from my previous issues of mass slowdown to this instead, which is much more preferable but also still disappointing.
Both the long freeze like pauses and the visual inconsistency.

Sunfyre

Jan 15, 2020
sadly the day 1 patch for PC Gamepass did nothing for me. Still stuttering frequently, blacks seem now to be kinda crushed and colors over-saturated. Still an amazing game, but yeah, it's a bit of a mess. disappointing.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
It's getting to that point where the graphics are so fluid that sometimes I have to think about whether thats a platform I can jump on or not.

Happens all the time to me.
Still early in the game but I think they could have sacrificed some consistency in the visual presentation for a little more readability.
Granted, it hasn't been a big issue or anything so far.

The map taking a few instants to open and taking you to a different screen is slightly annoying though. Sounds like a minor thing, but should have been a priority to make it quick in a game like this.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
The stuttering has gotten worse for me as the game goes on. Did a full shutdown and we'll see what that does, but I've fallen into level geometry when the camera refused to follow me, I've has an unresponsive main menu, I've had a chase sequence break on me and become impossible to complete.

yeesh

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Happens all the time to me.
Still early in the game but I think they could have sacrificed some consistency in the visual presentation for a little more readability.
Granted, it hasn't been a big issue or anything so far.

The map taking a few instants to open and taking you to a different screen is slightly annoying though. Sounds like a minor thing, but should have been a priority to make it quick in a game like this.
Its instant on PC, not sure why it cant on my one x.

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
Playing on the One X and in just a couple of hours the game has hard rebooted my console twice during start-up (when Ori is running in a spotlight), crashed to dashboard once during normal gameplay, had a couple of 5 second + freezes and at one point the background music just stopped playing until I triggered some new music in a different area.

I like what I've played so far but this clearly wasn't quite ready to launch.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Finished it.

Really good.

For PC I had 1 crash and 1 point where it looked like the game was unstable. Sound effects were missing for half of things.

So i started saving and exiting/loading game every 90 minutes or so.

The music and sound engineering in this game is excellent. The music is so full of emotion, borderline sappy but still very good.

The game was only frustrating at parts towards the end with the cheap shot 1 hit kills. I ended up learning to exit/enter areas to make the spawn point more advantageous.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017

I had the same issue, and eventually wondered if enabling G-Sync for windowed apps (which is necessary for it to work with this game) was causing more problems than it was solving—it's known to have issues and I think can itself cause microstutter. I eventually decided to prioritize smoothness, and tried going back to having G-Sync disabled for windowed apps, and just enable the in-game v-sync and go without G-Sync. (Trying to fight against what the developer intended and tested most is often just a recipe for a worse experience.)

I think it feels smoother this way, but I haven't played enough to be sure. Obviously I'd prefer to have the lower latency of G-Sync as well, so I'd be very happy if they patched in actual exclusive fullscreen. This is similar to my experience:

G-Sync does not seem to work. It only creates stutter if I turn it on. Using vsync in the nvidia control panel also introduces stuttering for some reason. Using the in game vsync makes the game incredibly smooth with no stutters. It might mean you'll have to cap the framerate though.

Also, fullscreen in the game is not really fullscreen. It's a borderless window.

No, vsync should be on even when with a gsync display. Otherwise you'll get tearing when the framerate goes above the screen max hz.

There's a bit of nuance to that—v-sync needs to be on to enable low-framerate compensation and v-sync above the display refresh rate, but it's generally better to force it on at the driver level. Whether the in-game v-sync setting is just overridden by the driver setting or introduces its own issues can depend on the game and how it implements v-sync. Usually the former, occasionally the latter. It's generally my default to force it on in the driver, but disable it in-game.

Last edited:

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This game is stuttering and freezing constantly. I've tried rebooting the console, reinstalling. The 5 second load on trying to look at the map is also frustrating. The fact that the animations are beautiful is overcome by the fact that even simple attacks make everything on the screen obscured and make enemies harder to see and counter. The blurry cutscenes make me feel like I'm playing a FMV game. The exploration is definitely better that the first game, which was nonexistent.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Just started. Holy shit!!!
The combat in this game is too good for a metroidvania. Its miles better than the first one. We are entering action game territory. I'm playing with an arcade stick and it feels wonderful. Combining sword attacks and finishing the enemy with the hammer is so satisfying.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
This game is stuttering and freezing constantly. I've tried rebooting the console, reinstalling. The 5 second load on trying to look at the map is also frustrating. The fact that the animations are beautiful is overcome by the fact that even simple attacks make everything on the screen obscured and make enemies harder to see and counter. The blurry cutscenes make me feel like I'm playing a FMV game. The exploration is definitely better that the first game, which was nonexistent.
I am playing on a launch xbox one and have no stuttering. The map loading is slow but not 5s for me. More like 3s

Sep 21, 2019
Any tips on how to deflect the purple projectiles into the purple rock barriers? I can use them to jump but have only deflected them a few times...

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
So far I'm loving it as much as the first one. Trying to get 100% aswell. I am just having fun. like games are supposed to be. Controller in my hands and enjoying my time. Great experience.

2-3 minor minor glitches where my character didn't move or I was stuck but that's it

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Playing on the One X and in just a couple of hours the game has hard rebooted my console twice during start-up (when Ori is running in a spotlight), crashed to dashboard once during normal gameplay, had a couple of 5 second + freezes and at one point the background music just stopped playing until I triggered some new music in a different area.

I like what I've played so far but this clearly wasn't quite ready to launch.

I ran in to this issue earlier did you happen to move your game from an external to an internal hdd?

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia

Check my post some 4 or 5 pages back for how I basically eliminated stuttering here.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if I should start this on BoneX or PC.

I have a 2060, which should be more than enough to handle this game, but it seems that version has its own issues

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Oof there's some weird slowdown in the beginning of this on my X. Was not expecting that.