• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Scott x 2

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone else having any issues today? I'm not sure if a patch has been released since yesterday but I was playing absolutely fine last night. I'm attempting to play today and the game won't load, and whilst trying to load it has now shut down my console twice.

Running on an Xbox One X, tried both external and internal with no better luck.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Just to be clear: Our Tech department at Moon is reading this and other forums and we will fix any and all issues people might still have. We're obviously super bummed if some people might not have had a perfectly smooth experience with Will of the Wisps, but we're working as hard as we can to repro the things you all mentioned and fix them.

First off your game is simply amazing, great job by the team at Moon! I will briefly share my experience. I bought the Collector's edition and installed it on my internal drive on my Xbox One X like I always do, and of course the install was pulling down the latest day one patch too. However, the performance on initial launch during the opening sequence and initial gameplay was really bad with terrible frame rates and freezing/hitching all over the place. I was pretty bummed out, and then I rebooted my console as others had mentioned and it was like a completely new game at that point with generally very solid performance now except for possibly an occasional slight hitch when moving to a new part of an area which almost seems like some type of brief streaming hiccup or something. But the initial console reboot after install was a game changer literally for me in terms of making it a great experience.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Hey thomasmahler, would you mind talking a little bit about the decision to have the trigger for spirit trials be activating the finish line, rather than activating the starting point? That's an interesting choice and I'd be curious to hear the thought process behind it

Nbz

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Finally finished it up and am SOO Close to 100% if anyone can help me get the last 2% here that would be ace

1f7e99a5c9.jpg

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Hey thomasmahler, would you mind talking a little bit about the decision to have the trigger for spirit trials be activating the finish line, rather than activating the starting point? That's an interesting choice and I'd be curious to hear the thought process behind it
Needed to be the end point cause otherwise you'd have to potentially run into an area that you never discovered before and that felt awkward. Simple as that :)

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Needed to be the end point cause otherwise you'd have to potentially run into an area that you never discovered before and that felt awkward. Simple as that :)
Ah that makes a lot of sense. I was a bit confused because having to activate the finish line and then go to the starting point seemed like an extra unnecessary step that the player had to do, but you're right, the solution you went with does seem like the lesser of two evils. Thanks for the quick response!

Kirbutashi

Oct 25, 2017
Started the game up yesterday, and I've been getting the same odd jittery or hitching that others have been getting on PC. Have to knock it down to 1080p to iron things out enough to not be distracting. Playing it on a 16" MBP with the base i9 5500M spec.

Enjoying the game too much to want to just wait for refinements, even early on.

Also had this bizarre glitch ruin the intro

flyingsaucer

Feb 28, 2020
Does anyone else feel like secret collectables reveal themselves a bit too easily on the map? I don't really know why these(see image attached) are revealed on my map for example. I think it might be that they were at the edge of my screen at some point? But I've clearly been nowhere near them, so I feel like it kinda spoils the secret if that makes sense

EVkhNSe.jpg

mogwai00

Mar 24, 2018
I've played around ten hours of the Steam version and the only issues I had were some weird brief noises during the first cutscenes and the impossibility to go above my native resolution through DSR, even if the game recognize it.

For the rest performance are peachy and the game is a blast.
Sword + hammer + bow + dash are making the combat my fav of the whole genre.

Scott x 2

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone else having any issues today? I'm not sure if a patch has been released since yesterday but I was playing absolutely fine last night. I'm attempting to play today and the game won't load, and whilst trying to load it has now shut down my console twice.

Running on an Xbox One X, tried both external and internal with no better luck.
This sucks, tried reinstalling the game and I'm just getting stuck on the initial loading screen of Ori running. thomasmahler is there a way to fix this issue?

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Does anyone else feel like secret collectables reveal themselves a bit too easily on the map? I don't really know why these(see image attached) are revealed on my map for example.

Pickups mark themselves on the map once you've seen them on your screen. Very early on we had a pin system on the map similar to what Breath of the Wild had, but again, it just felt too cumbersome to have the players constantly pin stuff on the map, so we did it for you :)

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Main quest question, very minor spoilers:
I notice it says 3 wisps not found but there are 4 on the map. Is this a glitch or is one optional?

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's actually true for the entire game. I think people are remembering Blind Forest looking a little better than it actually did, especially in terms of detail. If you compare the 2 side-by-side, it should be pretty obvious that Will of the Wisps is a big step up visually :)
Your team hit the jackpot in terms of art and gameplay design. Seeing them coming together in this game is a site to behold.

Some screenshots from my Discord.

oriandthewillofthewisps-pc_2020_03_12_15_12_24_859.png

oriandthewillofthewisps-pc_2020_03_12_15_49_07_218.png

1057090_screenshots_20200311204001_1.jpg

ori_test3.png

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
Just finished the first escape sequence.

For now, I loooove the game, the combat is so much fun and satisfying to play, movement after you get the grapple hook is out of this world. I also really like most of the changes such as spell management and npcs. The art and music are of course gorgeous. I play on PC and had no technical problem except for the escape sequence where my fps dropped from 60 to 50 constantly.

I'd say the only disappointments so far are the escape sequence I played (too short and too easy) and a feel of repetition with Blind Forest over the pacing and objective (restore a forest that is decaying, first 'temple' purifies the water).

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
PC and only real issue is the sound stutter/buzz which is annoying. Game is beautiful like the first and feels so good to move around and fight. I turned the motion blur off though as it just looked too... blurry? Made it harder to tell the details on things.

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
This sucks, tried reinstalling the game and I'm just getting stuck on the initial loading screen of Ori running. thomasmahler is there a way to fix this issue?

Same thing happened to me. Restarted multiple homes, full shut down, reinstalled the game... and it just hangs on the initial load screen. Spent 30-45 mins, going to call it quits for the night which stinks because I was looking forward to playing a bit more today. Really hope they get this figured out soon, if not I'll just drop it and play something else I suppose. I'm in the Xbox preview program, wonder if that's impacting it?

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Just reporting bugs i'm seeing, watching a streamer playing through the game now and there seems to be a bug that can happen during the final boss
The more you die, the less "blue arrows" you get during phase 3, which makes the fight almost impossible since you have almost no mobility, atleast that's what happened to this specific streamer

Scott x 2

Oct 27, 2017
Same thing happened to me. Restarted multiple homes, full shut down, reinstalled the game... and it just hangs on the initial load screen. Spent 30-45 mins, going to call it quits for the night which stinks because I was looking forward to playing a bit more today. Really hope they get this figured out soon, if not I'll just drop it and play something else I suppose. I'm in the Xbox preview program, wonder if that's impacting it?
I'm also in the Xbox Insider program, was there a release overnight/earlier today? As I said, it worked perfectly fine just last night.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
That's actually true for the entire game. I think people are remembering Blind Forest looking a little better than it actually did, especially in terms of detail. If you compare the 2 side-by-side, it should be pretty obvious that Will of the Wisps is a big step up visually :)
I'm very much inclined to agree, but let's be honest, you guys did a splendid job with Blind Forest as well. ;)

On topic, I will wait with the game until the audio buzzing is resolved. Also I have no time to play this weekend and next week and until then Doom Eternal is out. So I'll get around as soon as I am done ripping and tearing demons, I guess^^

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Pickups mark themselves on the map once you've seen them on your screen. Very early on we had a pin system on the map similar to what Breath of the Wild had, but again, it just felt too cumbersome to have the players constantly pin stuff on the map, so we did it for you :)
Does this account for items that are obscured by fake walls or other environs? I know the map has informed me of probably a dozen collectables that I didn't realize were there.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I've only got one collectible left on the map to get and it's an energy cell in Inkwater Marsh that's behind a gated blockade. I can't find the lever for it anywhere and it's driving me crazy.

Edit found it!

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I am a bit confused about the bell / Midnight Burrows 2nd puzzle regarding the tablet.
I got the tablet and was told it was backwards, but I never saw any writing on it to indicate the order you are supposed to hit the bells to unlock the powerup. I had to go to an online guide that spoiled the order instead ;p. It isn't just the first sequence backwards because that is 7 hits while the backwards puzzle is 9 hits

I find the inventory section of the menu to be pretty useless. It gives like 0 details, including what is on the tablet. It also lacks any indication of the two damage powerups I got and supposedly are active unless I overlooked it.

I've only got one collectible left on the map to get and it's an energy cell in Inkwater Marsh that's behind a gated blockade. I can't find the lever for it anywhere and it's driving me crazy.

Edit found it!
Where is the lever? I was looking for that too. About 3/4th through the game and was driving me crazy.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I always chuckle at the Hollow Knight comparisons. I honestly didn't look at it that much, I never even finished Hollow Knight since I didn't like the pacing of the game all that much. It took me 20 or so hours there to find the doubleJump and at that point I just kinda lost interest. But hey, that's me, I still thought it was a very good game.

But the fact of the matter is that we wanted to have attacks like in WotW in Blind Forest already, but just never got it feel right back then. Our Animator at the time, James Benson, did some anims in like 2011 or so where we had Ori swing a sword and tried to time the attacks to Symphony of the NIght (Symphony of the Night, Zelda and Super Metroid were the main inspirations in terms of Game Design), but it just felt wrong and since we didn't have all the money in the world, we decided to re-pivot for Blind Forest and focus on the heavy platforming-focus, cause that felt great right from the start. For Will of the Wisps, we had a larger budget and knew that we finally had the resources to delve deep into the combat mechanics.

The Spirit Shard system though was indeed inspired by another game, but also not HK: Initially I wanted to copy the FFVII Materia system since I LOOOOVE that system and I still fully intend on using a variation of that system for another game :D In the early WotW prototypes, every weapon / spell had slots and you were able to slot the shards into them, but that just became too complicated for an Ori game. We didn't want people to spend that much time in menus after all - So we just turned it into a global system and kept the leveling part of it.

I think Hollow Knight and Ori honestly both have their own thing going on, I don't really see all that much overlap apart from them being both Metroidvanias. The way we design levels and our world is completely different from what those folks did. Our game is all about movement, Hollow Knight is way slower and less focused on flow. It's like comparing Mario and Sonic to me - Sure, both are platformers, but that's where the similarities end. I'm just glad we're seeing more amazing Metroidvanias finally again, since when we started Ori there was absolutely nothing like that for the past 15+ years or so. Super Metroid and SOTN came out and suddenly everyone decided that that style of game wasn't worth it anymore, which was always nuts to me, ESPECIALLY since the Igavanias always had super high ratings.

But anyway, there's your inside scoop :)
Weird to hear that the new Hollow Knight-esque additions/changes in Ori 2 weren't all intentional. Throughout my entire playthrough I've been constantly noticing new or altered mechanics that are completely analogous to Hollow Knight in terms of design.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
After a mighty delay, I finally got to start the game today and just reached the big ol' Toad fellow.

And I've gotta say, this performance on the base XBOX One is honestly pretty shocking, the game behind all this slow down and frame dropping is a fantastic refinement of the previous formula, I want to love it more, but I've had sections go slideshow in a way that even PS3 Blight Town would balk at.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
While I thought the first Ori was absolutely gorgeous, I actually wanted more out of it than just platforming. It's obvious that many love the game for being exactly that, and are grumbling against the changes to the latest game, but to me those all sound like welcome additions and actually make me more determined to buy it than I previously was. If it was simply OatBF redux, I would likely not have bothered.

Weird to hear that the new Hollow Knight-esque additions/changes in Ori 2 weren't all intentional. Throughout my entire playthrough I've been constantly noticing new or altered mechanics that are completely analogous to Hollow Knight in terms of design.

Two things can share similar influences at the same time while not actually borrowing from each other. Not a ton in Hollow Knight is actually all that original either, it's just put together very well.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
I am a bit confused about the bell / Midnight Burrows 2nd puzzle regarding the tablet.
I got the tablet and was told it was backwards, but I never saw any writing on it to indicate the order you are supposed to hit the bells to unlock the powerup. I had to go to an online guide that spoiled the order instead ;p. It isn't just the first sequence backwards because that is 7 hits while the backwards puzzle is 9 hits

I find the inventory section of the menu to be pretty useless. It gives like 0 details, including what is on the tablet. It also lacks any indication of the two damage powerups I got and supposedly are active unless I overlooked it.
The second puzzle is just the first answer backwards. I'm not sure what the guide you consulted says but I can assure you when I did it all I entered was that.

Also I agree about the inventory. I'd love to read more lore or info about all of the things you have instead of an incredibly brief blurb.

flyingsaucer

Feb 28, 2020
That makes sense since your focus was the flow of the game and you mentioned earlier you didn't want players spending too much time in the menus. Thank you for answering
I have encountered a bug regarding the pins btw. I revealed a health pickup near a shrine, walked out of there without picking it up (I think I was testing something, that's why I didn't pick it up) And then after an autosave, I died to a mob. When I respawned, the pin for the health pickup was gone
Here's a video of it:

I might be missing something and this might not be a bug

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
The second puzzle is just the first answer backwards. I'm not sure what the guide you consulted says but I can assure you when I did it all I entered was that.

Also I agree about the inventory. I'd love to read more lore or info about all of the things you have instead of an incredibly brief blurb.
Oh the guide I used was wrong lol. It had 2 bell rings in front that weren't needed.
Remove those two bell rings, and it is just the first backwards... The wording in game was a bit confusing, I wasn't sure if I was just supposed to use the same ring combo backwards so I looked it up online. And the site I used had the solution as 9 bell rings instead of the 7 backwards which made it even more confusing to me....

Last edited:

SoraanTribal

Oct 27, 2017
Is it just me or my Xbox one but some cutscenes are super blurry or something? Looks weird at times. Also my game just freezes for like 5s or more at a time, especially when it auto saves.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played a good chunk more. After a slow start, things are starting to resemble the first game quite a bit more in terms of movement, which I enjoy, but there's definitely some whiplash after playing the original so recently. I think so far the story and music are improvements as well, not that they were bad in the original.

Nov 13, 2017
I'm not reading the thread to avoid spoilers, so apologies if this has been asked before. I'll spoiler mark my question as it involves an NPC/shop later on in the game, but I need to know if I've encountered a bug or if I'm missing something as I'm genuinely confused.

The map maker has a shop in the village. He sells items/spirit shards that reveal secrets on the map. I have about 8,000 spirit light right now, but I cannot purchase any of his wares. Every time I do, I get a message that says "not enough spirit light". I've restarted my game several times, warped away from the village and come back, yet I still cannot purchase them. Is there something I'm missing?

mdf/markus

Oct 30, 2017
Just wanted to confirm that on PC Gsync as well as forced Vsync via the control panel seem to have problems with WotW.

Let the app decide in CP and ingame Vsync works really smooth & all the hickups are gone on my side.

Goddamn, Thomas - once that pandemic stuff is over, I'll deliver you guys some Krapfen or Kipferl or something to your office in Vienna. I somehow just have to thank you for the work you are doing.
The first Ori ignited my love for the genre and will forever have a special place in my heart. Will of the Wisps will do the same, no question.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
non of which are on the caliber of Hollow Knight and Ori.

Outland are Guacamelee are fantastic, and even if it's not as great Shadow Complex is still clearly in the same genre.

There's also all the handheld Castelvania games, SteamWorld Dig, likely at least a few I'm forgetting. This

I'm just glad we're seeing more amazing Metroidvanias finally again, since when we started Ori there was absolutely nothing like that for the past 15+ years or so. Super Metroid and SOTN came out and suddenly everyone decided that that style of game wasn't worth it anymore, which was always nuts to me, ESPECIALLY since the Igavanias always had super high ratings.

is a really bizarre statement, and clearly not true.

What exactly is the deal with dpad controls? I'm playing on Xbox and can use the dpad for all movement except Slamming, which is really annoying. Is that just how the game is or am I missing an update?

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Semi - Ori related question for those in here that have used Moonlight.

I have a great gaming PC hooked up to old 1080P 60hz monitors. However, I have ethernet wired to a laptop connected to my nice 4K tv in the other room. I've used Moonlight before but I've never tried to push it to the limit. Would I be able to play Ori in 4K in the other room with Moonlight?