• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
I always chuckle at the Hollow Knight comparisons. I honestly didn't look at it that much, I never even finished Hollow Knight since I didn't like the pacing of the game all that much. It took me 20 or so hours there to find the doubleJump and at that point I just kinda lost interest. But hey, that's me, I still thought it was a very good game.

But the fact of the matter is that we wanted to have attacks like in WotW in Blind Forest already, but just never got it feel right back then. Our Animator at the time, James Benson, did some anims in like 2011 or so where we had Ori swing a sword and tried to time the attacks to Symphony of the NIght (Symphony of the Night, Zelda and Super Metroid were the main inspirations in terms of Game Design), but it just felt wrong and since we didn't have all the money in the world, we decided to re-pivot for Blind Forest and focus on the heavy platforming-focus, cause that felt great right from the start. For Will of the Wisps, we had a larger budget and knew that we finally had the resources to delve deep into the combat mechanics.

The Spirit Shard system though was indeed inspired by another game, but also not HK: Initially I wanted to copy the FFVII Materia system since I LOOOOVE that system and I still fully intend on using a variation of that system for another game :D In the early WotW prototypes, every weapon / spell had slots and you were able to slot the shards into them, but that just became too complicated for an Ori game. We didn't want people to spend that much time in menus after all - So we just turned it into a global system and kept the leveling part of it.

I think Hollow Knight and Ori honestly both have their own thing going on, I don't really see all that much overlap apart from them being both Metroidvanias. The way we design levels and our world is completely different from what those folks did. Our game is all about movement, Hollow Knight is way slower and less focused on flow. It's like comparing Mario and Sonic to me - Sure, both are platformers, but that's where the similarities end. I'm just glad we're seeing more amazing Metroidvanias finally again, since when we started Ori there was absolutely nothing like that for the past 15+ years or so. Super Metroid and SOTN came out and suddenly everyone decided that that style of game wasn't worth it anymore, which was always nuts to me, ESPECIALLY since the Igavanias always had super high ratings.

But anyway, there's your inside scoop :)
You should definitely try again with Hollow Knight, I also didn't like it at first, but then it clicked and now I consider it one of the best games of all time.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I can't even get any framerate overlays to work. Neither NVidia or RTSS even detect the GamePass version.

God I hate UWP. I thought MS was supposed to be dumping it.

edit: lol, even Xbox Game Bar can't detect the framerate.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
You should definitely try again with Hollow Knight, I also didn't like it at first, but then it clicked and now I consider it one of the best games of all time.
I think I'm done with Metroidvanias for a while, Hollow Knight just wasn't my jam. I'm so very looking forward to other types of games now... After almost 10 years of working on Metroidvanias, I really need a break :)

Bigfellahull

Prophet of Truth
Mar 6, 2018
Completed the game 100%. Took 23 hours. Now onto the speed run. Have loved every minute of it, despite the frame rate issues and hitching when loading.

Has anyone noticed achievements not popping? Is this a known bug? I completed the game but haven't unlocked the achievement? Also, I have collected all energy cells and that achievement hasn't unlocked either. Frustrating when trying to 1000 the game! thomasmahler?

Oct 30, 2017
I always chuckle at the Hollow Knight comparisons. I honestly didn't look at it that much, I never even finished Hollow Knight since I didn't like the pacing of the game all that much. It took me 20 or so hours there to find the doubleJump and at that point I just kinda lost interest. But hey, that's me, I still thought it was a very good game.

But the fact of the matter is that we wanted to have attacks like in WotW in Blind Forest already, but just never got it feel right back then. Our Animator at the time, James Benson, did some anims in like 2011 or so where we had Ori swing a sword and tried to time the attacks to Symphony of the NIght (Symphony of the Night, Zelda and Super Metroid were the main inspirations in terms of Game Design), but it just felt wrong and since we didn't have all the money in the world, we decided to re-pivot for Blind Forest and focus on the heavy platforming-focus, cause that felt great right from the start. For Will of the Wisps, we had a larger budget and knew that we finally had the resources to delve deep into the combat mechanics.

The Spirit Shard system though was indeed inspired by another game, but also not HK: Initially I wanted to copy the FFVII Materia system since I LOOOOVE that system and I still fully intend on using a variation of that system for another game :D In the early WotW prototypes, every weapon / spell had slots and you were able to slot the shards into them, but that just became too complicated for an Ori game. We didn't want people to spend that much time in menus after all - So we just turned it into a global system and kept the leveling part of it.

I think Hollow Knight and Ori honestly both have their own thing going on, I don't really see all that much overlap apart from them being both Metroidvanias. The way we design levels and our world is completely different from what those folks did. Our game is all about movement, Hollow Knight is way slower and less focused on flow. It's like comparing Mario and Sonic to me - Sure, both are platformers, but that's where the similarities end. I'm just glad we're seeing more amazing Metroidvanias finally again, since when we started Ori there was absolutely nothing like that for the past 15+ years or so. Super Metroid and SOTN came out and suddenly everyone decided that that style of game wasn't worth it anymore, which was always nuts to me, ESPECIALLY since the Igavanias always had super high ratings.

But anyway, there's your inside scoop :)

That's interesting to read, honestly. I'm actually not a huge fan of HK either. I finished it but I had to push through it. I hate the map system and how limited the amount of equippable passive abilities is in that game, the latter of which is way more to my liking in WotW, as I already received an upgrade from three to four slots in that first hour. I can only imagine how annoying it must be to read these comparisons and I didn't mean to put HK on a pedestal or insinuate that that game pioneered any of these things. It's just the game that came to mind when I compare WotW to the first one. I know I'll vastly prefer this game to HK by the end of it just based on the first hour, just like I still do the first Ori.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
Wow I wasn't expecting the performance to be totally crap but it is.

One X in 4K HDR and even in the opening sequence the framerate slows to a crawl in an area already. This is ridiculous.

Bigfellahull

Prophet of Truth
Mar 6, 2018
I think I'm done with Metroidvanias for a while, Hollow Knight just wasn't my jam. I'm so very looking forward to other types of games now... After almost 10 years of working on Metroidvanias, I really need a break :)

I look forward to whatever you decide to do next! I do hope we get a sequel to Will of the Wisps at some point though.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
More weird problems with the PC version.
I can't supersample my resolution when I try and select a resolution higher than my monitor it just flicks back to 1080p.
And the resolution scale wont go igher than 100%. So I can't set it to 150% or anything like that.

And I cannot fix that microstutter or whatever it is. Really, really annoying.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So just as an update to my situation and "fix"

1). Played for a long time yesterday experienced allot of frame dips but kept playing because it's amazing

2) today I read that moving to internal and updating or redownloading game would help frame issues so I moved the game to internal first and tried. Got like 2 mins in then my system powered completely off

3) redownloaded the game and by default it goes to my external. Once done downloading I moved it to my internal and when Ori runs at that first loading screen my system powered completely off.

4) deleted the game and redownloaded it to my external and left it there and the game booted up fine.

5) deleted the game and redownloaded straight to internal and it booted up fine

So I don't know if it was just me or if this has been known already but I do not suggest moving the game between HDDs. Figured I'd just let everyone know

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
I can't even get any framerate overlays to work. Neither NVidia or RTSS even detect the GamePass version.

Why don't you try adding the game in Steam as a Non-Steam game then use Steam's FPS counter? I'm sure it'll work.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Is it normal that monsters give more coins/yellow energy with each kill?

I equiped the rune where monsters appear faster, and then i found one monster which started giving me like 30 coins, and i just kept on killing him, and now he gives me over 1000 coins per kill, and i got like 100k in few mins.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Think I'm going to have to wait for more patches. I have a shitty old PC and the framerate's largely fine if I down the resolution (though I'd really appreciate some options) but the biggest issue is I'm still getting the audio buzzing frequently and the soundtrack's super important to the game. I hate how gamepass for PC updates games.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
So how is difficulty of this one? I stopped in the first one a little before the water escape. I accidentally saw the water escape section while looking for a hint, and I'm just not going back to the game after seeing that.

I could deal with more difficult combat, but insta-death traversal sections are a non-starter for me.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017

Odd, both RTSS and Game Bar have been working for me. Game Pass version as well. Is your RTSS version up to date? (I have 7.2.1.)

Zassimick

Nov 6, 2017
Early into the game on X1X. Got a few upgrades. Really enjoying it.

These framerate issues are a damn shame, though. To have such an impact on such a visual experience...

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
So how is difficulty of this one? I stopped in the first one a little before the water escape. I accidentally saw the water escape section while looking for a hint, and I'm just not going back to the game after seeing that.

I could deal with more difficult combat, but insta-death traversal sections are a non-starter for me.
I'd say it's a bit more difficult than the original, but there are less insta-kill sections like what you describe here (and the ones that are there are less long). It's generally pretty well-balanced I'd say.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Ha just finished the game and according to the timer I've been playing for 48 hours.

I guess turning off the Xbox mid game doesn't stop the timer.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
It's quite interesting to see thomasmahler discussing his baby with us here - so, so cool! I agree with you about Hollow Knight. It's the one metroidvania that everyone seems to love but I found it to be a VERY tedious experience after a while and just 'good' but not 'great'.

I do think Ori 2 feels different to Ori 1 though. Might have been the tighter budget, but Ori 1 felt more like a 'pure' platformer to me. Movement is important in Ori WotW but I'd still say there is quite a bit of combat in the game. I really like the movement options of the weapons into all directions. A good 120 minutes in, I have some issues with hitboxes, dodging/evading and the cooldown times between attacks though. Some monsters seem to require that one or two extra hits after a first cooldown. I guess this shall make you learn movement better. I sometimes still struggle to keep my orientation of where Ori is in a weird way. It's hard to describe. Health also drops pretty fast if you make an error but it's never a frustrating experience. Good challenge but I hope I'll get more used to the mechanics when playing more.

Can't praise music, atmosphere, graphics and overall feel of this game enough though. Such a gem. I can also confirm that the game runs super-smooth with the patch and a restarted console. Finally, because that intro scene where I had to move and stuff on screen hit 5 fps or something really made me worry yesterday!

Tech department at Moon watching the thread

thomasmahler

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Just to be clear: Our Tech department at Moon is reading this and other forums and we will fix any and all issues people might still have. We're obviously super bummed if some people might not have had a perfectly smooth experience with Will of the Wisps, but we're working as hard as we can to repro the things you all mentioned and fix them.

Apr 19, 2018
Question: does Sticky ever become a permanent skill separate from being a shard down the line?

Rather than auto-sticking, I rather liked being able to control when to stick/climb walls on the fly by holding the trigger button back in the original game. It's a bit cumbersome here having to go in and out of the menu to replace and remove the shard.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Was this an Hollow Knight easter-egg or I'm thinking it too much?

zazmh1ksthl41.jpg

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017

RTSS is working fine for me, as long as you set global app detection to medium or high.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

On Normal I feel like it's way easier then the original version of Blind Forest.

The checkpoints are plenty, you have more room to fuck up now during anything, and the bosses don't really take that much HP off you.

Not to mention halfway that you kinda become unstoppable and reach a point where nothing can do jack shit vs you.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Just finished the game, took me 14h30 mins, on hard difficulty.

I explored alot, still have some collectibles to get here and there and a couple sidequests to finish.

Absolutely phenomenal game, really. The devs outdid themselves. Thank you moon studios for yet another masterpiece. 🙏

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Waiting to see if there's going to be a switch version is going to be agonizing. I might have to just buy it and double dip if that happens because I reeeeeally wanna play it as it seems like prime inspiration for what I'm working on and I've always loved the series. My wallet. It hurts this month.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Just to be clear: Our Tech department at Moon is reading this and other forums and we will fix any and all issues people might still have. We're obviously super bummed if some people might not have had a perfectly smooth experience with Will of the Wisps, but we're working as hard as we can to repro the things you all mentioned and fix them.
On the Steam forum Q&A/BUG thread you still haven't acknowledged or listed the stuttering/hitching in the Known Issues section. I know you just said you're looking into any and all issues, but I'd love to hear confirmation that the team is aware and working on it. I know there's other bugs/issues that are likely far more pressing and need to be dealt with first.. but a confirmation would go a long way.

I've noticed a few bugs during my playthrough and am compiling a list, as well as capturing as much video as I can of any and all repeatable instances to help the team.. because the game itself is phenomenal.. it deserves to have these issues fixed so the game can be as perfect as possible for future buyers.

thomasmahler

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
On the Steam forum Q&A/BUG thread you still haven't acknowledged or listed the stuttering/hitching in the Known Issues section. I know you just said you're looking into any and all issues, but I'd love to hear confirmation that the team is aware and working on it. I know there's other bugs/issues that are likely far more pressing and need to be dealt with first.. but a confirmation would go a long way.

I've noticed a few bugs during my playthrough and am compiling a list, as well as capturing as much video as I can of any and all repeatable instances to help the team.. because the game itself is phenomenal.. it deserves to have these issues fixed so the game can be as perfect as possible for future buyers.
Everything will get fixed. The Tech folks are on nothing else atm.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure this is no amazing discovery....

But using the shard that generates energy on melee + convert excess energy to life = heal on melee :)

thomasmahler

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Looking back at Swallow's Nest. It's pretty impressive the graphics and color bump they made for Will of the Wisps:

That's actually true for the entire game. I think people are remembering Blind Forest looking a little better than it actually did, especially in terms of detail. If you compare the 2 side-by-side, it should be pretty obvious that Will of the Wisps is a big step up visually :)

disgraciau

Oct 27, 2017
Ibiza, Balearic Islands, Spain
That's actually true for the entire game. I think people are remembering Blind Forest looking a little better than it actually did, especially in terms of detail. If you compare the 2 side-by-side, it should be pretty obvious that Will of the Wisps is a big step up visually :)

Yeah, visually looking better was a no-brainer after looking at the detail of the scenarios + a more vivid color palette. I just took Swallow's Nest as a comparison because is the only location that appears in both games and it make look the visual bump more obvious.

I'm like 13 hours and 72% of total progress. The game is much bigger that Blind Forest and i'm enjoying every second of it.

ImNotRegret

Nov 1, 2017
Seeing that the devs post here I have to ask: Is the infinite hovering you can do with the torch intentional.
With the light weapons you start falling down after one combo or so, but with the torch you can spam up or down attack and hover in the air for a long time.
It seems like an oversight but on the other hand it`s so easy to do that I thought maybe you let it just for fun. Maybe it is even possible to beat the game with only the torch?
if it`s not intentional could you let it in? Might be useful for speedrunning.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
So I beat Ori and the Blind Forest a month or so ago on my Switch, and now I am DYING to play Will of the Wisps. Might be time to fork over the money for an Xbox. I loved Ori THAT much. Ecstatic to hear that people really like this follow-up.

thePopaShots

Nov 27, 2017
Picked this up on PC Game Pass last night and enjoyed what I played, but I feel like I'm doing this game a disservice by playing it on my 1080P 144 HZ monitor, I think I'm going to go out and buy a 15ft HDMI cable so I can play in 4k, but I'm not sure how HDR will work on PC Games Pass? I have a 2070 Super so I assume it will run at 60 in 4K?

flyingsaucer

Feb 28, 2020
It is hard to believe the amount of attention to detail in this game. When I first realized the wind from Ori's sword swings makes environmental objects move, I was blown away(no pun intended)

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the game now, loved it overall.

Definitely prefer the combat in this. Enjoyed all the boss fights. The chase sequences were great, but I feel like they weren't as special because of already doing them in the first game. Loved the new abilities and shard system.

It's a shame about the technical issues, they seemed to get worse as I got further through the game.