• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Briar36

Nov 27, 2017
Manhattan
This bothered me for a long time. I'll spoiler the answer but it really isn't a spoiler.

It is in a hut when you build it.

Ha thanks, I should've known it would be something like that.

Now I have a problem where there's a rumor for something I already did, and it won't go away. Hopefully it's something like this where I have to do more. I also may be stupid, because I can't figure out how to untrack quests.

Status update on the game

GennadiyKorol

Lead Engineer at Moon Studios
Verified
Aug 19, 2019
Hey everyone!
We are actively monitoring different forums to make sure everyone has good time playing Ori. Things seem to be looking quite a lot better since the last patch that landed on X1 and Win10, but our team is hard at work optimizing and fixing.

A few updates for the issues we've gathered so far:

Unusually bad performance on Xbox One X/S:
From what we've seen there's no obvious explanation for this one but all instances we've seen were solved by people reinstalling the game or moving it from external to internal hard drive on their console.

Occasional performance degradation after playing for long periods of time on X1S:
We have identified potential causes for this and will be hot patching this in the next days. In the mean-time the best remedy would be to restart the game if you can, this should eliminate any and all potential stutter.

Buzzing sound issues on Win10
The latest patch should remedy the issue significantly if not completely eliminate it. For those that are still having it on the latest Steam/Win10 version please check if you can exclude the game from your anti-virus software as we've seen that this completely fixed this issue in any test cases we've seen on our end.
We are also looking into updating to the later version of Wwise that should have a more robust fix for this.

Save Progress Being Lost
This issue should be completely fixed with the Day1 patch on X1 and Win10 latest patch. If you encounter anything like this please PM me directly.

Green Health Pickups not being collectible in some cases
This is already fixed and is waiting to get into the very next patch.

Additional planned future improvements
* We are adding exclusive mode to full-screen on PC. Hopefully this fixes any Gsync/Window Manager/etc issues.
* Ability to hide HUD or control its opacity with shortcuts on PC and potentially on the controller.
* A slider for motion blur amount on top of just On/Off. Fixing some cases of nauseating motion blur during camera pans in the game will also be included.
* A slider for game resolution separate from the UI resolution that allows running the game at a % of current window resolution, and even up-sample the game to run at higher resolutions which might be useful to those running a 1080p monitor but can run the game at 4k and want to get that extra bit of sharpness.
* HDR improvements and additional tweaks for X1 and later PC version.
* General optimization and improvements to specific enemies, areas and combat scenarios.

Hope you guys are enjoying the game so far!

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Can anyone, without spoiling, tell me if the combat is more satisfying in the sequel? The original's feels light.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Hey everyone!
We are actively monitoring different forums to make sure everyone has good time playing Ori. Things seem to be looking quite a lot better since the last patch that landed on X1 and Win10, but our team is hard at work optimizing and fixing.

From what we've seen there's no obvious explanation for this one but all instances we've seen were solved by people reinstalling the game or moving it from external to internal hard drive on their console.

Occasional performance degradation after playing for long periods of time on X1S:
We have identified potential causes for this and will be hot patching this in the next days. In the mean-time the best remedy would be to restart the game if you can, this should eliminate any and all potential stutter.

The latest patch should remedy the issue significantly if not completely eliminate it. For those that are still having it on the latest Steam/Win10 version please check if you can exclude the game from your anti-virus software as we've seen that this completely fixed this issue in any test cases we've seen on our end.
We are also looking into updating to the later version of Wwise that should have a more robust fix for this.

Save Progress Being Lost
This issue should be completely fixed with the Day1 patch on X1 and Win10 latest patch. If you encounter anything like this please PM me directly.

* We are adding exclusive mode to full-screen on PC. Hopefully this fixes any Gsync/Window Manager/etc issues.
* Ability to hide HUD or control its opacity with shortcuts on PC and potentially on the controller.
* A slider for motion blur amount on top of just On/Off. Fixing some cases of nauseating motion blur during camera pans in the game will also be included.
* A slider for game resolution separate from the UI resolution that allows running the game at a % of current window resolution, and even up-sample the game to run at higher resolutions which might be useful to those running a 1080p monitor but can run the game at 4k and want to get that extra bit of sharpness.
* General optimization and improvements to specific enemies, areas and combat scenarios.

No HUD, full screen and resolution scaling would be very welcome.

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you
GennadiyKorol for the update! I'm really enjoying the game so far! The set pieces and overall ambiance and art direction are incredible. Since you are actively communicating through the thread I do have one very specific question for you.

Currently I'm playing on PC and I have no frame rate issues what so ever, however I have noticed something that seems a little jarring. When ever Ori has a change in momentum, such as jumping from a full run, or landing after a jump, either the camera tracking or game speed changes. This subtle shift in scrolling speed gives the impression of a stutter. The game isn't dropping any frames but the effect being generated is off putting.

In todays Giantbombcast Jeff Gerstmann was describing this exact thing as giving him a bit of motion disorientation, and I kind of feel the same way.

Is this something that can be addressed? Is this intentional, or is this effect just a quirk that has arisen and this is as good as it can be?

Anyhoo.. Congrats! on a successful launch and thank you and the team for a wonderful game!

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Hey everyone!

Save Progress Being Lost

Now this is great to see. Issues being identified, worked on AND information being conveyed to the customers. Game is incredible so far and will get even better.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone!

Save Progress Being Lost

here's another issue i just discovered

i bought the game, played a bit and then I just went and did other things

when i came back i immediately went to the glade... 20 hours played lol the game took into account my suspend state time as part of my game time played XD

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Played for a bit and I absolutely love it so far. No performance issues that I noticed.

I seem to remember there was another game that also had issues where hard rebooting fixed the problem. I want to say it one of the recent Tomb Raider games but I could be wrong.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Got to play about an hour. Three main takeaways:

1. Combat is massively improved right from the start. The sword feels amazing.
  2. Nice early progression in terms of movement abilities.
  3. I'm sure I've said this a dozen times in my life but it's really hard to imagine games looking appreciably better than this.

Playing the Steam version and it's running along well at 1440 with a 1070. Had one or two of the weird audio buzzes in the first cutscene but none so far in gameplay.

GennadiyKorol

Lead Engineer at Moon Studios
Verified
Aug 19, 2019
Currently I'm playing on PC and I have no frame rate issues what so ever, however I have noticed something that seems a little jarring. When ever Ori has a change in momentum, such as jumping from a full run, or landing after a jump, either the camera tracking or game speed changes. This subtle shift in scrolling speed gives the impression of a stutter. The game isn't dropping any frames but the effect being generated is off putting.

In todays Giantbombcast Jeff Gerstmann was describing this exact thing as giving him a bit of motion disorientation, and I kind of feel the same way.

Are you running the game at locked framerate? Variable with Gsync? Vsync on/off?

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Couple hours in. Fantastic so far and feels like a giant step up from the previous game. Visually and aurally outstanding, the game is legitimately hypnotizing. The level of detail and depth on screen makes it feel like the game is in stereoscopic 3D even though it's not. Combat feels great, hitting with the hammer uppercut is immensely satisfying, I love that if you press it right as a flying enemy starts to charge it'll connect with them with perfect timing. I also like the nuance on the sword, if you hold down and attack on the ground it'll do a thrust that will push enemies, useful for getting them into spikes.

I'm really loving all the little details too. The little Moki cave drawings in the background, the map fragments/stone from Ori 1 that the map guy has covered with his paper maps, the extra animations on Ori like when you dash into a rope/vine he whips around it, etc. There's like a hundred other great things I could say about it already, even stuff like the cinematic intro section at the very beginning is smartly designed to get you quickly used to Ori's base movement and the fact that he has the wall jump from the get go this time around.

Issues wise I'm getting micro stuttering and I had a small cutscene glitch with the second boss. Otherwise it's been running at 110fps+ consistently I think (980ti) but I'll have to check more frequently.

Oct 25, 2017
Are you running the game at locked framerate? Variable with Gsync? Vsync on/off?
Currently I have the game locked to 60hz with vsync enabled and maintaining 60fps. I have tried with both Gsync enabled and Disabled and have noticed no difference. I have tried running at various refresh rates, from 60hz-90hz-120hz-144hz.. What I am experiencing doesn't seem tied to frame times.

When I run the game at 144hz with gsync off and my system can only output 90fps I do get the normal judder you would experience when your refresh isn't in line with your framerate.

But as of now, just for frametime consistency I'm sticking with 60hz, vsync, 60fps lock.

(update) I have also put a few hours into the Xbox One X version, the same thing is present on the console.

StephDiesel

Feb 2, 2018
After eagerly awaiting coming home to play it all day...

My xb1x shuts off about 1 minute after i attempt to boot the game. Anyone else have this problem?

wrog

Oct 27, 2017
Hey everyone!
Looks like completion achievements are not unlocking on Xbox One. I just finished my Hard Mode run (with broken health upgrades for extra challenge ;) ) and didn't get the achievement. I saw similar reports on TrueAchievements.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
Hey everyone!

Save Progress Being Lost

Playing on PC Gamepass here , and I've got a weird glitch where I've already done this combat shrine before i got the quest, but now when i go down there and do it again it still doesn't complete it
imgur.com

imgur.com

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

I've also noticed a small animation thing where when i run past a moki he flips around for like one frame

MAK11

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Played for a bit and I absolutely love it so far. No performance issues that I noticed.

I seem to remember there was another game that also had issues where hard rebooting fixed the problem. I want to say it one of the recent Tomb Raider games but I could be wrong.
It was Jedi Fallen Order IIRC

sith ewok

Oct 31, 2017
Can I ask a stupid question: Are the wells the only way the game saves (as in the first Ori)? Or is there some sort of autosave this time around? I ask primarily because there seems to be so few wells...

I'm finding it a little hard to get into the game, partially because I don't feel like I fully understand how everything works. I know tutorials are often overdone to a ridiculous point but I do feel like this game could use a little bit of a tutorial at the beginning (like explaining saves, progression, etc...) Each time I found myself stuck in the first hour or so was because I didn't know about a game mechanic. (yes, I suck at games. haha. But I feel like a little hand-holding early on wouldn't be a bad thing?)

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
Can I ask a stupid question: Are the wells the only way the game saves (as in the first Ori)? Or is there some sort of autosave this time around? I ask primarily because there seems to be so few wells...

I'm finding it a little hard to get into the game, partially because I don't feel like I fully understand how everything works. I know tutorials are often overdone to a ridiculous point but I do feel like this game could use a little bit of a tutorial at the beginning (like explaining saves, progression, etc...) Each time I found myself stuck in the first hour or so was because I didn't know about a game mechanic. (yes, I suck at games. haha. But I feel like a little hand-holding early on wouldn't be a bad thing?)
It autosaves very frequently

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I've played for a few hours today and the game isn't really grabbing me tbh. It's so similar to the first Ori I feel like I'm going through the motions getting abilities and picking up power ups. I do like the combat more so far at the very least. And the game is gorgeous to look at. I'm obviously going to keep playing but it's not blowing me away like I thought it might.

BranCrackr

Oct 4, 2019
Anyone else having a bunch of crazy issues using a DS4, even with DS4Windows? Seemed to work fine last night, but then after the recent update it's all mucked up. Square and X both jump, and left on the d-pad ducks lol

Also really wish there was a Reset to Default option in the settings; because of my controller issue I accidentally changed the analog dead-zone and had to look up a video to see what the default was.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
That day one patch really made the framerate better, i'm now at a locked 165fps (using a 165hz monitor) in 1440p and the game is using around 70% of my GPU most of the time. Before the patch I was running the game at around 120 fps and my gpu was being fully used, huge difference!

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Anyone else having a bunch of crazy issues using a DS4, even with DS4Windows? Seemed to work fine last night, but then after the recent update it's all mucked up. Square and X both jump, and left on the d-pad ducks lol

Also really wish there was a Reset to Default option in the settings; because of my controller issue I accidentally changed the analog dead-zone and had to look up a video to see what the default was.

I'm using a DS4 but I have no issue when using ds4windows, if I don't use ds4windows all the buttons are messed up yeah

disgraciau

Oct 27, 2017
Ibiza, Balearic Islands, Spain
1 We are adding exclusive mode to full-screen on PC. Hopefully this fixes any Gsync/Window Manager/etc issues.
2 Ability to hide HUD or control its opacity with shortcuts on PC and potentially on the controller.
3 A slider for game resolution separate from the UI resolution that allows running the game at a % of current window resolution, and even up-sample the game to run at higher resolutions which might be useful to those running a 1080p monitor but can run the game at 4k and want to get that extra bit of sharpness.

1 Are you keeping actual borderless as an option? It's pretty cool to play with v-sync disabled without any screen tearing, and borderless mode does the job.
2 Cool, but I thought that was already available. On Steam version right now I can toggle HUD with Alt + U shortcut, just like in Ori and the Blind Forest Definitive Edition.
3 THANK YOU! It's pretty annoying to force 4K on Desktop via Nvidia DSR each time I want to play at 4K supersampled.

zoboomafoo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Use the "Hide DS4 controller" setting in DS4Windows.

Also, you can create a new profile to go back to the default settings if I'm not mistaken.

------

I'm part of the players still affected by the buzzing sound even after the update, though it seems less frequent. I'm playing on a pretty low-end PC.

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking hell y'all, I just finished the first Ori and about to jump into the second. Wish I had played this shit sooner because it's so damn good. Hope the second one is even better!

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
A quick question. I've
Just defeated Mora and have two Wisps to go.
Reviewing this for work and just want to estimate for my boss. Loving this so far. Thanks

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Any reason why this can't be an option on the console version? I would love the ability to hide or control the Opacity on console. Don't understand why options like this are not also available on console. Hope that this gets reconsidered.

Maximilian

The Dood
Verified
Feb 19, 2019
Slight area spoilers. Please tell me I wasn't the only one trying to light the 2nd torch while avoiding the fire shrine. 45 mins later, we were shocked it actually worked. I was secretly hoping it would give a mystery achievement.

clips.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

Oct 25, 2017
Loving the game so far!

Only technical issues I'm having are brief slowdown and audio stutters when loading a new area and sometimes when respawning after death. I just started downloading the W10 patch now, so maybe that will be resolved next time I play.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
My game has been a performance nightmare on XB1X. I spent a lot of the time getting to the glades in sub 20 and at times sub 10 frames basically from the start of the game.

oddly enough there was a section that ran amazing and as I went into a new zone name, drop to less than 10 FPS.

Im going to do a fresh install just to make sure something isn't wrong because I know it shouldn't be like this.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Slight area spoilers. Please tell me I wasn't the only one trying to light the 2nd torch while avoiding the fire shrine. 45 mins later, we were shocked it actually worked. I was secretly hoping it would give a mystery achievement.

clips.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

Hah, that's really cool.

I did a lot of juggling that I'm not even sure was intentional but I didn't think of that.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
My game has been a performance nightmare on XB1X. I spent a lot of the time getting to the glades in sub 20 and at times sub 10 frames basically from the start of the game.

oddly enough there was a section that ran amazing and as I went into a new zone name, drop to less than 10 FPS.

Im going to do a fresh install just to make sure something isn't wrong because I know it shouldn't be like this.

Try a full shutdown and restart first. It'll flush the Xbox cache. I just played play through subnautica and I had to do a full restart each time before playing or I'd get major performance issues or the world wouldn't load fully or crash trying to load. It's also a unity game.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Playing on XB1X on an external SSD. Some stutters here and there but overall not bad after about two hours. I moved back and forth between internal and external and noticed besides the game loading much quicker, the map comes up faster on the SSD. It's annoyingly slow on internal.

So far I really love the game. I enjoyed the first one a lot, but this seems vastly improved.

Rokal

Oct 25, 2017
Game fits like an old glove. Once I got a few movement powers I was back to zipping around levels like no time had passed since Ori 1. Having a great time with it so far.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Try a full shutdown and restart first. It'll flush the Xbox cache. I just played play through subnautica and I had to do a full restart each time before playing or I'd get major performance issues or the world wouldn't load fully or crash trying to load. It's also a unity game.
Yeah I'll try that tomorrow. Fresh install of the game didn't help. Same area instantly drops to a crawl when entering.

MAK11

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Full shutdown DOESN'T clear the cache. To do so you have to un-plug the console for at least 10 minutes, then press on the power button for at least 5 secs while the console is still un-plugged & finally plug the console back in to turn it on.

Apr 19, 2018
Game fits like an old glove. Once I got a few movement powers I was back to zipping around levels like no time had passed since Ori 1. Having a great time with it so far.

I'm still struggling getting used to Bash being assigned to the left trigger, instead of the Xbox's "Y" button position from the first game.