• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I played 2 hours on Xbox One X last night and it was fun.
-Graphics are great but the first game was stunning too so it's not a huge leap but still great.
-Music is A+++ and sets the tone perfectly
-I am playing on Normal (And I am not great at games I admit) and it is NOT easy for me! The combat is tricky and some of the platforming is just hard for me. But it's doable I think so I will keep it on Normal
-There is some stuttering and brief pausing especially when moving to a new screen like dropping down to a new area or running into one of those big trees. Also, the frame drops are quite noticeable and while not constant, are enough that it's definitely marring an otherwise great game.

I have one question:

What upgrades or new abilities should I get first???
I bought the thing that says it sets enemies on fire and honestly it has been very underwhelming.
Since stuff is fairly expensive, I really want to get the most helpful abilities early on, but with only a sentence description for each, it's hard to know what's actually good vs. less effective.

Overall I am loving the game. My only real issues are that I suck at games (lol) and performance issues. I really hope Moon Studios patch in an option to get a locked 60fps on Xbox One X no matter the cost (dynamic resolution seems like a good method to me). Either that or give us a locked 30 option. I'd rather have that than stuttering and fluctuation FPS !

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Just had two crashes in a row on pc, but there's also an update out it seems... Gonna update and hopefully can continue crash-free

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I installed the game onto the internal HDD. Just fired it up for the first time today and as soon as you get to walk around I notice that this isn't 60fps by any means, I notice slowdown immediately and even screen tearing.

I'm gonna reinstall it just to be sure and also do a hard reset/reboot because I haven't done that in a while. It's been using instant on for a while now.

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
Slowly downloading the patch now. I did a combat shrine last night where I returned to a, uh, moment in the game where Ori gets...sad? He moves slowly, and you can't use the full suit of his abilities. I can't jump back to warp area--Ori literally gets sad and drops like a rock when I enter a certain part of the map--and now I probably need to roll back a save? Hoping it's fixed. Messy, beautiful game.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
Slowly downloading the patch now. I did a combat shrine last night where I returned to a, uh, moment in the game where Ori gets...sad? He moves slowly, and you can't use the full suit of his abilities. I can't jump back to warp area--Ori literally gets sad and drops like a rock when I enter a certain part of the map--and now I probably need to roll back a save? Hoping it's fixed. Messy, beautiful game.
Clinically Depressed Forest Spirit Simulator 2020

badnewsbeers

Dec 10, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Use the bow, remember to change your shards to just those that will be useful for the fight (I forgot to do this until the final boss and it makes a huge difference!), and stay out of the water as much as you can. Remember that he wants you there. What I did was jump out of the water on one side, swim underneath, and then jump out of it on the other. Also, in phase one, try to only have him pound on the left and right side. If he never pounds in the middle, the spikes won't show up.
Thanks! I'll give it a go.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
When the game "opens up" and give you 3 places to go, clearly there is an order there. It makes it seem like you can tackle whichever you want first, but i can't do 1 without the ability from the other.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
When the game "opens up" and give you 3 places to go, clearly there is an order there. It makes it seem like you can tackle whichever you want first, but i can't do 1 without the ability from the other.
I don't think so... I picked the ice area first and was making progress there before I started the update... Would suck if I suddenly needed an upgrade I didn't have before.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Yes sir!

After uninstall/ and install again, and a hard reboot it's perfectly fine in terms of performance. Seems that either the reinstall did the trick or it was me having used instant on for a while and not having done a full reboot for a long time.

Also..

Dpad works for controlling.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
hmm can you really detect framerates? I am very sensitive and can accurately determine by eye alone. This does barely EVER hit 60fps in the first hour or so..

i am 100% sure of this

regarding the framerate on xb1x

RESTART YOUR CONSOLE

it pretty much fixes all issues with the framerate.. never seen this on a console game before

went from stuttering 30-40fps toa mostly locked 60fps... the difference is night and day

Patrick Klepek

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
Looks like I'm still screwed. Am I missing something here? I recorded a clip:

gfycat.com

Clip GIF by patrick.klepek | Gfycat

Watch and share Clip GIFs by patrick.klepek on Gfycat

To be clear: when I jump across, I cannot move. Ori is stuck like a stone against the spikes. I can't find another way to leave the area. (If you go left, he's also perpetually stuck in sad mode.)

Cogg

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Wow that patch REALLY ironed out the performance on my rig, glad I held off after an hour playing. It's not perfect but much better for sure.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Blown away by the sheer love and effort that has been poured into this game, many congratulations to the team, and a hell of way to lead into next gen :)

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Probably a dumb question, but can I see the version number anywhere? I'm playing on PC Game Pass.

Jul 26, 2019
The Netherlands
Just spent my first 1.5 hours with the game: really, really amazing! As expected, really..! Everything I love from Ori 1, espacially the platforming, + an even more beautiful and varried world, amazing upgrades in combat and an even more epic soundtrack. Just amazing all together!!

A funny thing: recently I was thinking how Ori 1 somehow reminded me of the lion king game, however it doesn't have anything in common. So I don't know where that feeling came from.. Now enter Ori 2, the Howls Den.. wtf??! That actually looks like the elephant graveyard level of the lion king :D! Or am I getting totally crazy, you guys??

Nov 29, 2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Looks like I'm still screwed. Am I missing something here? I recorded a clip:

gfycat.com

Clip GIF by patrick.klepek | Gfycat

Watch and share Clip GIFs by patrick.klepek on Gfycat

To be clear: when I jump across, I cannot move. Ori is stuck like a stone against the spikes. I can't find another way to leave the area. (If you go left, he's also perpetually stuck in sad mode.)

You have triple jump + dash, right? Try to get closes as possible to that float monster, and use your Grappling ability

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Any input on dpad with this game? I didn't play much of the first but heard that after a certain point the Bash ability made dpad use a bit awkward compared to analog stick. So I'm trying to go analog stick but so far dpad is just so much more ingrained in my head for 2d games that I'm hesitating. Any thoughts? Are the differences legit and enough to push through without using the dpad?

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Side Quest question mid-way through the game:

Where is the Compass exactly? The NPC said it was through that second door up the mill but I searched everywhere and still can't find it.

Nbz

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I am loving this game but did anyone run into a massive difficult spike?

The frog boss in Luma Springs? I am getting my ass absolutely handed to me. I can get to the second phase but with the ability to use my heal I am not good enough to avoid the hits enough to wear him down before he gets me. Any tips? I am sending the projectiles back at him but man, he's got a lot of health.

I went there as my first wisp and now I'm wondering if I should have saved it for later.
I got an upgrade from another area that made that fight waaaay easier.

But yeah you can use the bow and get some hammer hits in if you can

Hixx

Oct 25, 2017
Side Quest question mid-way through the game:

Where is the Compass exactly? The NPC said it was through that second door up the mill but I searched everywhere and still can't find it.

go back in and the wheel in the top right of the room is hollow, right? in the top left of the wheel there's an opening, go through it and the needle for the compass is right there

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
This game has cloud saves for pc gamepass right? My computer did a wierd thing and like broke will of the wisps when it tried to update so i had to uninstall and now im reinstalling. Not the end of the world if i have to replay though

Zelus

Oct 27, 2017
I played 2 hours on Xbox One X last night and it was fun.
-Graphics are great but the first game was stunning too so it's not a huge leap but still great.
-Music is A+++ and sets the tone perfectly
-I am playing on Normal (And I am not great at games I admit) and it is NOT easy for me! The combat is tricky and some of the platforming is just hard for me. But it's doable I think so I will keep it on Normal
-There is some stuttering and brief pausing especially when moving to a new screen like dropping down to a new area or running into one of those big trees. Also, the frame drops are quite noticeable and while not constant, are enough that it's definitely marring an otherwise great game.

I have one question:

What upgrades or new abilities should I get first???
I bought the thing that says it sets enemies on fire and honestly it has been very underwhelming.
Since stuff is fairly expensive, I really want to get the most helpful abilities early on, but with only a sentence description for each, it's hard to know what's actually good vs. less effective.

Overall I am loving the game. My only real issues are that I suck at games (lol) and performance issues. I really hope Moon Studios patch in an option to get a locked 60fps on Xbox One X no matter the cost (dynamic resolution seems like a good method to me). Either that or give us a locked 30 option. I'd rather have that than stuttering and fluctuation FPS !
Are you playing on an external SSD or a regular HDD?

Patrick Klepek

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
You have triple jump + dash, right? Try to get closes as possible to that float monster, and use your Grappling ability

The moment you cross that little gap, you cannot do any moves anymore. I'll have to see if I can get the grapple icon to float in time...

UPDATE: That didn't work but I was able to kinda cheat my way up the righthand side. Phew.

Last edited:

Roarer

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Playing the PC Game Pass version on Ryzen 7 2700x / Titan X (Pascal) / 16 GB RAM @ 1440p and performance has been great so far. Hovers around 130-144 fps, thinking about locking it to 120 ti keep it stable. Using the day 1 patch.

Only... I encountered a game breaking bug :(

Right before getting the first ability (Spirit Edge), I sort of clipped through the world. I was approaching the glowing tree, when Ori fell through the floor and a couple of screens scrolled past. I ended up a ways back from the tree, up on the edge before jumping down, and the game gave me a prompt about how to use the ability before suddenly showing a cut scene of Gumo and Naru looking for Ori. After the cut scene ends, the prompt shows up again but nothing happens when I press LT. I have tried reloading the save and rebooting the game, but I still cannot activate the ability. I'm basically stuck at this:

dBIeUBc.png

Oh god, I didn't realize the game kept a bunch of saves. I could roll back to any earlier save and got past the sequence without issues. Wish the fact that there are several autosaves was somewhat more clear though.

I'm loving the game though. Absolutely blown away by the visuals and the controls are such a delight.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Did you have an update to download? If so, when did it come out? Did you take other steps to make it flawless? I've heard VERY mixed reviews about performance on the OG XBox One.

I preloaded the game, then set my location to new Zealand so I could play it early in the states. This required me doing a system reboot.

I don't think I had the latest patch when I first played, but I didn't make it very far before going to bed.

I'm not exactly sure when the final patch downloaded, But I played it last night and today when I got off of work and have had no real issues. There's the occasional slowdown when it's saving or right before a cutscene but I haven't had it every occur in action.

disgraciau

Oct 27, 2017
Ibiza, Balearic Islands, Spain
Goddamnit! That moki sidequest where
you have to go to his house in Silent Woods and tell his family he found a new home. When I went there I figured out what I was going to find. But the most brutal and tragic is when you go back there after completing the sidequest...

It fucking destroyed me.

Oct 25, 2017
after giving up on w10 version i have been playing the steam version

w10 version just wouldnt patch, i didnt actually experience the game at all as i wanted to wait for the patch

long story short after 3 hours of the steam version

GOTY

Solobbos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
How much longer is this one compared to the first?
About 2 hours longer for me (8 hours opposed to 6 on Ori 1).

Really enjoyed the revamped combat and the ending made me cry, technically there's still a lot to be done if Moon Studios is aiming for consistent 60 FPS. The game also crashed twice and froze for 1-20s multiple times.

Still, what a ride! Absolutely worth it, and one of the best non-Nintendo platformers ever.