• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
These weird performance hitches are jarring, but thankfully infrequent. Game is better than the original and being able to use melee weapons is what this game needed

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Are the little green enemies at the beginning annoying the shit out of anyone else? They're movement feels erratic, and I really wish they reacted to being hit. Really not liking how enemies just continue moving as you're hitting them.

It feels like these enemies were made for the first game's combat system. I tried jump over them and aiming slashes down but it's hard to tell where they're moving to and where they'll stop. Hopefully it'll get better once I have some more moves, I only played for a few minutes, I got the double-jump and reached a save point shortly after. And none of the other enemies have been aggravating, but man, those green things can fuck off.

Minor intro spoilers for people who want to go in blind:
I feel bad for Ku, attaching her mom's feather to her broken wing was a nice moment but clearly it's not going to be a longterm solution. I'm guessing the wing gets magically healed by the end, but still, kind of a bittersweet moment.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
Are the little green enemies at the beginning annoying the shit out of anyone else? They're movement feels erratic, and I really wish they reacted to being hit. Really not liking how enemies just continue moving as you're hitting them.

It feels like these enemies were made for the first game's combat system. I tried jump over them and aiming slashes down but it's hard to tell where they're moving to and where they'll stop. Hopefully it'll get better once I have some more moves, I only played for a few minutes, I got the double-jump and reached a save point shortly after. And none of the other enemies have been aggravating, but man, those green things can fuck off.

Minor intro spoilers for people who want to go in blind:
I feel bad for Ku, attaching her mom's feather to her broken wing was a nice moment but clearly it's not going to be a longterm solution. I'm guessing the wing gets magically healed by the end, but still, kind of a bittersweet moment.
You can knock enemies into the air with an up attack and itll stop them moving, especially useful for those little green runny bastards

b0uncyfr0

Apr 2, 2018
So noone having issues with Vsync? Its alway's working on my monitor, turning it off makes no difference and setting it to off in NV settings also has no effect. Gamepass Version.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Being Unity engine game i cannot enable DSR support because it does not support true fullscreen mode, hate this.

wrog

Oct 27, 2017
I love the game but there are so many bugs, even after patches. Latest example - I can't pick up health upgrades, game just slows down and nothing happens... Tried two different locations.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is the HDR supposed to be impressive in this? I'm afraid It's another game that I can tell if it has it or not.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna wait for the patch on PC gamepass, what I played was glorious but i lost progress and abilities.

Shouldnt be long right?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Jesus Christ, the fps tank so hard in this game when you battle, it's not even funny.
This is a direct capture, 30fps, which is good in this case cause watch it and tell me you can't see how it tanks hard several times in this 30fps video, which means it goes under 30. Just tell me.

Xbox One X.

Tried to record a 60fps video with my phone but the brightness fucked up, still you can see how it drops all the time and is 60 just for brief moments.

Tried everything so far to solve it, switch hdd, delete cache with powering the x off completely and removing the cable, nothing helps.
Only thing left is trying another savegame, but I don't think that will help either, it's just extremely bad optimized and drops all the time between 50-59 while traveling and under 40 and more while fighting.

GennadiyKorol

Lead Engineer at Moon Studios
Verified
Aug 19, 2019
IMO the HDR isn't as impressive as I thought it would be.

Game is absolutely superb though

We didn't have time to go and do all of the tweaking yet but are absolutely planning to do so. Stay tune for the update on more HDR improvements in the near term future.

The buzzing sound should be fixed on Steam version as of now and will be in the next patch that should land any moment on Win10.

gr0w

Oct 28, 2017
We didn't have time to go and do all of the tweaking yet but are absolutely planning to do so. Stay tune for the update on more HDR improvements in the near term future.

The buzzing sound should be fixed on Steam version as of now and will be in the next patch that should land any moment on Win10.
Thank you so much for taking the time to post an update <3 Thanks for all the hard work, the game is amazing!

GennadiyKorol

Verified
Aug 19, 2019
Jesus Christ, the fps tank so hard in this game when you battle, it's not even funny.
This is a direct capture, 30fps, which is good in this case cause watch it and tell me you can't see how it tanks hard several times in this 30fps video, which means it goes under 30.

We are aware that the tentacle enemies and the shockwaves can get unnecessarily slow on the consoles, we're looking into that actively and a lot of optimizations (for this and more) are already in the queue and will be getting out as soon as we can go through certification.

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately I am not using a DS4 but an XB1 Elite v2 through the wireless adapter so I have no idea what is causing it. I tried reinstalling the game but no dice.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
PC players, anyone having any weird glitchy skipping bugs regarding sound? Frame rate is happening too in the opening cutscene but it's not as noticeable as the "zrrrt" that I'm hearing.

Yup. It keeps either doing a weird audio BZZZRDRDT on occasion. But more commonly now that I've just met the fighter guy audio keeps cutting out rapid fire or for seconds at a time.

We are aware that the tentacle enemies and the shockwaves can get unnecessarily slow on the consoles, we're looking into that actively and a lot of optimizations (for this and more) are already in the queue and will be getting out as soon as we can go through certification.

Have you guys seen the audio concerns on PC? Not buzzing for me except rarely. The audio straight cuts out.

(mentioned right ^)

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Performance issues aside, this is an insanely gorgeous game! Like holy crap this is like looking at a moving painting, everything moves and seems alive, so much details everywhere! I've only played for about an hour (Tokk talked about Kwolok legend) but it's already clear that Moon has delivered a topclass game again. 👍

First impressions on the new combat system is good but coming out of Hollow Knight just a few months ago makes me see a bit too many similarities here with the ability slots system (3 at the start, more later?) and swelling/exploding enemies after death, attack down to "jump", etc.

So my first thought is that they've looked a bit too much on Hollow Knight instead of focusing on what made everyone (almost) love Ori. It feels less unique now. Even the strange character language sound the same.

But there are worse games to get inspiration from though, it's just that I liked Ori more than Hollow Knight so for me I'm not sure this was a good choice.

But I'm just at the beginning. I'll probably declare it GOTY when I'm finished just like with the first one.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I was under the impression that ERA is a bit overreacting about PC problems and to be sure about that i checked on Steam and there are a lot of positive reviews about Ori 2 so far, sitting at 89%.
steamcommunity.com

Steam Community :: Ori and the Will of the Wisps

Ori and the Will of the Wisps - ORI AND THE WILL OF THE WISPS IS A MUST PLAY*: • 98/100 GAMESBEAT “…an exhilarating, emotional masterpiece”• 9.5/10 GAMEINFORMER “the story is fantastic, the world is breathtaking”• 9/10 IGN “the best praise you can give a sequel”• 9.5/10 DESTRUCTOID “An early...

I have only one minor sound bug in the first 2-3 hours running the UWP version via Gamepass.

b0uncyfr0

Apr 2, 2018
Has there been an update on the gamepass version yet? Need that patch..

Also did anyone encounter a BUG - where your life and charge cells aren't changing fro 3, even though you've picked up plenty?

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I won't have time to play much until one week. Hopefully issues will be sorted on Xbox

Oct 28, 2017
I've not encountered any bugs or glitches so far thankfully. Excellent game, as expected.

My one (very. very, very minor) complaint is that I wish bringing up the map would be a little snappier.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
This is a direct capture, 30fps, which is good in this case cause watch it and tell me you can't see how it tanks hard several times in this 30fps video, which means it goes under 30. Just tell me.

Xbox One X.

Tried to record a 60fps video with my phone but the brightness fucked up, still you can see how it drops all the time and is 60 just for brief moments.

Tried everything so far to solve it, switch hdd, delete cache with powering the x off completely and removing the cable, nothing helps.
Only thing left is trying another savegame, but I don't think that will help either, it's just extremely bad optimized and drops all the time between 50-59 while traveling and under 40 and more while fighting.

Yep, I will wait for the fixes... I loved the first one and I want to play Will of the Wisps, but not like this.

Steam version up to date, Win 10 getting update tomorrow.Next patch likely addressing map speed

GennadiyKorol

Verified
Aug 19, 2019
Have you guys seen the audio concerns on PC? Not buzzing for me except rarely. The audio straight cuts out.

On Steam we should have all of our latest fixes in, Win10 will get a patch tomorrow and hopefully this addresses most if not all audio issues. Please PM me with any additional information so I can verify for certain.

I've not encountered any bugs or glitches so far thankfully. Excellent game, as expected.

My one (very. very, very minor) complaint is that I wish bringing up the map would be a little snappier.

Should be fixed in the next patch too and we'll probably speed up the fade to black/from black as well.

flyingsaucer

Feb 28, 2020
Holy hell, this game has absolutely brilliant audiovisuals. I knew it was gonna be good, but damn...
Does anyone know if there's a way to hide the hud for screenshots?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
This is going to be another one of those games where everyone gushed over the visuals and the sublime audio is going to go under the radar. Make sure to use decent speakers or headphones while playing this people.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
I find it very strange that people are reporting mixed things on xbox one x performance. Particularlly, I'm on xbox one X with the 1.0.4193.0 patch (stock internal HDD) and I played yesterday as soon as it unlocked here (midnight CET) for 40 minutes... it was awful. For sure it doesn't feel like a 60 fps game, but sometimes it didn't feel right for a 30 fps game either. It may be framepacing or whatever, plus the slowdowns, but when it felt really smooth it didn't last and it made the "smooth" sections look more like uncapped 30 fps than "aiming for 60". Shame I can't record that at 60 fps but I think it would be noticeable even in a 30 fps video. Gotta reinstall Blind Forest and see how it compares but I'm sure it will only make Will of the Wisps more awful in comparison.

Does the xbox have an option to defrag or something like that? I sould try that, or deleting some big game and Ori and then redownloading. But I dunno...

thomasmahler GennadiyKorol and team, if we can help in any way for debugging, I'm all about it. And btw, I don't know if that will come with the next patch with HDR adjustments, but the paperwhite option and others could use more explanation to those like me who are new to HDR, and maybe some calibration image as other games have. Maybe some motion blur slider too, not just on or off, if that was technically possible (I can't decide on letting that on or off).

I have just reinstalled the game and it works.
Before the reinstall, the game was running like 15fps with lots of slowdown

Really? That is, on what platform?

Does the performance get better after the prologue? The amount of slowdown I'm getting is ridiculous.

Edit: I don't know if the video shows it well enough but this is what I've been experiencing for almost the entire prologue on my One X. I think I'm just going to wait for a patch. This is so damn disappointing, it just takes me completely out of the game.

Shit. My case is not that extreme, but yes that area works so bad. And the one right after you start a new game too, with the lights between the trees. Also the Ori running animation has slomo like slowdowns sometimes, which have happened to me in gameplay occasionally too but not that severe.

Thank you, very much! Btw, is the playthrough timer correction on xbox supposed to be live already, with the 1.0.4193.0 patch?

flyingsaucer

Feb 28, 2020
GennadiyKorol Would you please consider giving us a way to hide the hud when you're done taking care of things that have high priority? I know buttons are all assigned on console, but PC has plenty to spare, so it would be amazing if you did it for at least for PC. And it could work with double thumbstick click or something on console too I guess. The game looks absolutely amazing and being able to take screenshots without the hud would be amazing

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Does the performance get better after the prologue? The amount of slowdown I'm getting is ridiculous.

Edit: I don't know if the video shows it well enough but this is what I've been experiencing for almost the entire prologue on my One X. I think I'm just going to wait for a patch. This is so damn disappointing, it just takes me completely out of the game.

That's really funny, cause the tutorial area up to the point where you get your real first weapon at the first tree, runs absolute perfect for me, rock solid 60 all the time even the whole wolf chase. But once you have your weapon and goes to new areas after that, it's downhill for the framerate.

ChristianM

Mar 21, 2018
Sweden
Hey GennadiyKorol. Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.

Do you know if the windows 10 store patch will solve the stuttering issues a lot of us are experiencing? Also, vsync seems to be broken in the game. Turning it on makes the game run in 30fps. Really strange...

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I find it very strange that people are reporting mixed things on xbox one x performance. Particularlly, I'm on xbox one X with the 1.0.4193.0 patch (stock internal HDD) and I played yesterday as soon as it unlocked here (midnight CET) for 40 minutes... it was awful. For sure it doesn't feel like a 60 fps game, but sometimes it didn't feel right for a 30 fps game either. It may be framepacing or whatever, plus the slowdowns, but when it felt really smooth it didn't last and it made the "smooth" sections look more like uncapped 30 fps than "aiming for 60". Shame I can't record that at 60 fps but I think it would be noticeable even in a 30 fps video. Gotta reinstall Blind Forest and see how it compares but I'm sure it will only make Will of the Wisps more awful in comparison.

Does the xbox have an option to defrag or something like that? I sould try that, or deleting some big game and Ori and then redownloading. But I dunno...

Thank you. I'm not alone with noticing the constantly bad performance.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just had the game softlock on PC and lost an hour of progress.

yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gotta say these chatty NPCs are....weird. I don't hate them but they feel kind at odds with the world, though that might just be my biases as a fan of the first game.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
On Steam we should have all of our latest fixes in, Win10 will get a patch tomorrow and hopefully this addresses most if not all audio issues. Please PM me with any additional information so I can verify for certain.

I'll wait for the patch and then let you know.

You guys are probably aware of a number of glitched animations. The interaction between a cutscene and an environmental thing such as a door opening seems to often be glitched. Like I'll pull a switch or hit a node with my arrow or something, and the camera will pan to the door or whatever. The animation will like, half of the effects play out, then the others switch to being done suddenly, then the camera like fade, but then appear suddenly, and then fade again, and move back to my character. In fact at the beginning of the new island area thing right after the storm cutscene, it showed Ori show up while the screen was still black, then fade suddenly, almost like it was a t pose kinda? Then showed up lying down like normal. Idk how to explain any of this any better lol. Geforce Now wouldn't capture it and I forgot to try the game bar, but I imagine you've heard about similar things by now.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it. Didn't know if the patch will cover it. You guys have a great game here and most of this is just a mild annoyance. I only mind the sound bug because the music is so incredible! It's such a soothing beautiful game, the jank just stands out more.

Thanks for being present here. Always a good look to do that.

EDIT: I am on gamepass for PC btw.

Gotta say these chatty NPCs are....weird. I don't hate them but they feel kind at odds with the world, though that might just be my biases as a fan of the first game.

I thought that at first but then there is so much new in this game. It's a proper sequel. Whole completely different kind of game. I'm kind of glad it isn't just Ori 2.0.

I think I'm getting used to it. I just have to adjust I think. I think the voices they've chosen are like, really strong personality wise. But they fit well. It keeps it lively, which keeps me engaged more I feel like. The first game stuff started to start to like, fade away if that makes sense. Your brain processes the music and sound effects and you start to hear them less. Adding dialogue kinda wakes up my brain. Idk how to explain that.

Last edited:

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
This is going to be another one of those games where everyone gushed over the visuals and the sublime audio is going to go under the radar. Make sure to use decent speakers or headphones while playing this people.

Yup. It is indeed sublime. Seriously. So well balanced. My headphones are pretty good already, but man. It's just so full and gah. Wonderful. Everything about it.

The swingy hammer thing is a delight with the sound and visual feedback. Like. WOW.

Everyone just do yourself a favor and put on a good set of head phones and let it take you away.

A lot of times I worry about that cuz some can be really oppressive or way to bass heavy or all kinds of dumb things. This is really well crafted and the audio team deserves kudos.

gr0w

Oct 28, 2017
This update situation makes me want to ditch gamepass and buy it on Steam. I'm so fed up with games being treated inferior in gamepass, microsoft has to get their shit together.