• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I dunno, I've seen other people saying they're not having the same performance issues as you.

I've seen people saying they can't see a difference between 30fps and 60fps at all.

People say all kind of stupid stuff.

Fact is it's a console, everyone has the same performance on there, nobody has a magic console at home that runs it in 60 while it drops everywhere else. If people aren't noticing the drops to 50-59, fine, doesn't mean they don't exist.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I love the way everything looks for this little sequence. It *feels* very 3D thanks to the animation of Howl and the camera movement.

WZikniJ.gif

Sunfyre

Jan 15, 2020
Guys I have a very big problem, I cannot get past the title screen because the art and the music are so fucking beautiful.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Can i complain about russian localization menu? I mean using generic fonts instead of stylized which used in all other languages is just insulting, everything is disjointed and looks lazy.

163.png

164.png

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
I've seen people saying they can't see a difference between 30fps and 60fps at all.

Fact is it's a console, everyone has the same performance on there, nobody has a magic console at home that runs it in 60 while it drops everywhere else. If people aren't noticing the drops to 50-59, fine, doesn't mean they don't exist.
There can be situational differences based on a number of different events (Glitches, overheating of the system, etc).

Last edited:

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
True. Some people also have like zero tolerance for anything other than perfection and the numbers they obsess over. I don't care about resolution or frame rate. As long as it looks and feels good, it could be 480i at 15fps for all I care

Haha, I guess. I doubt many games would feel good at 15fps, certainly not a game like Ori, but if it doesn't bother you there's obviously no need to worry about it.

I don't really see complaints about this as nitpicking or demanding absolute perfection. Ori looks incredible, but it is surprising that a 2D game in this style can't hit a locked 60fps.

If Mario Kart 9 came out and ran at 480i/ 30 fps I'm sure it would still be fun, but if someone said they wished it was more in line with established expectations I wouldn't think they were obsessing over numbers.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
True. Some people also have like zero tolerance for anything other than perfection and the numbers they obsess over. I don't care about resolution or frame rate. As long as it looks and feels good, it could be 480i at 15fps for all I care

The problem is that a game with a constant background scrolling speed like Ori will make even a single frame drop very noticeable to people sensitive to it. The type of game definitely has a large bearing on the acceptability of frame drops, at least for myself.

Oct 25, 2017
just got a patch on PC (steam), let's see if the audio is better.

Haha, I guess. I doubt many games would feel good at 15fps, certainly not a game like Ori, but if it doesn't bother you there's obviously no need to worry about it.

I don't really see complaints about this as nitpicking or demanding absolute perfection. Ori looks incredible, but it is surprising that a 2D game in this style can't hit a locked 60fps.

If Mario Kart 9 came out and ran at 480i/ 30 fps I'm sure it would still be fun, but if someone said they wished it was more in line with established expectations I wouldn't think they were obsessing over numbers.

I don't think that a game with this kind of visual fidelity having performance issues is that surprising, tbh, it's also in full 3D, afaik, even if it's perspective is 2D

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
This freaking game. Its really they took everything from Ori 1 and made everything better. The visuals, the alot of different environments constantly, the combat, the tools you need to use for platforming, the enemies, the new boss battles, the overall world building. Its insane.

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida

Just because it's played in 2D doesn't mean it isn't using 3D resources and other elements that make it demanding. One can be surprised about tech issues but assuming what should be easy or not to run is due to a lot of misunderstandings about game development.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think that a game with this kind of visual fidelity having performance issues is that surprising, tbh, it's also in full 3D, afaik, even if it's perspective is 2D

Don't get me wrong, the game looks beautiful. But it's not exactly Red Dead Redemption.

Okami looks awesome too, and it's 3D, but it would similarly shocking if that game struggled on powerful hardware. Not saying it's a perfect apples-to-apples comparison, but as incredible as Ori looks it does not strike me as a game that would have trouble running on an X1X.

Just because it's played in 2D doesn't mean it isn't using 3D resources and other elements that make it demanding. One can be surprised about tech issues but assuming what should be easy or not to run is due to a lot of misunderstandings about game development.

Sure. The fact that there has already been a patch that helps the issue makes me think it's more a case of the game not being as well optimized as it could be, not consoles lacking enough raw power to handle the game.

And I understand optimization is not simple.

Again, I think the game looks amazing, but do you honestly look at this game and think "Wow, I really doubt an Xbox 1 X is going to be able to handle this at a stable framerate?"

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Loving it. Only issues so far (playing on X): some slight hitching and bringing up the map seems slow, even on a SSD, which is annoying since I do so constantly in these type of games.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
Argh loving it but I've just lost a couple hours progress. Shut it down earlier, patched it, and now I'm back down to 10% completion

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida

Since you seem to have issues where others don't, just curious did you notice any change from internal vs external drives?

Nbz

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Ended up doing some side collecting because I didn't want to run into audio issues ruining cutscenes again, but couldn't help myself and went to the next area

MY GOD that entire sequence where you reunite with Ku, then PLAY AS KU (I know they teased it in the opening but the wind mechanics to fan flames oh my looord). Then the whole encounter with Bird dude and Ku falling to an almost fatal injury I CANNOT HANDLE THESE EMOTIONS. My god that whole sequence is such a step up from the last game and has me even more invested than I already was (which was was a lot in the first place)

Last edited:

MAK11

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Since you seem to have issues where others don't, just curious did you notice any change from internal vs external drives?
Windows Sonic audio should also be disabled (in the consoles settings) if it's on. Totally trashes the sound stage & does seem to make the game stutter/pause.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Trying on my Xbox One X, installed on internal drive, day one patch installed.
Gets to Ori running animation and turns off my Xbox. Tried 3 times now.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I seem to have a glitched collectable on my map which is driving me insane. Even though I've collected it, it's still glowing on my map arghh

If this ends up messing up my 100% completion rate..

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
5 (ish) hours in and i loved it...until i hit 2 "gimmick" areas. man, i just dont enjoy them, at all.
also the performance problems start to get in the way (x1x).

game is still great but performance needs to be improved, badly.

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
Ended up doing some side collecting because I didn't want to run into audio issues ruining cutscenes again, but couldn't help myself and went to the next area

MY GOD that entire sequence where you reunite with Ku, then PLAY AS KU (I know they teased it in the opening but the wind mechanics to fan flames oh my looord). Then the whole encounter with Bird dude and Ku falling to an almost fatal injury I CANNOT HANDLE THESE EMOTIONS. My god that whole sequence is such a step up from the last game and has me even more invested than I already was (which was was a lot in the first place)

Fuuuuck, I shouldn't have clicked that spoiler

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Mhm so I usually don't like Metroidvanias that much because I hate backtracking as a gameplay mechanic. But this game looks so damn good, I guess I'll try it. Maybe it'll click with me.

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
Just played a good 2 hours. Shit this is sickly great. Music/art/feels. All of it and more. Thanks Moon and thanks Gamepass!

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Does the game save when you hit a checkpoint? Or do I physically have to go to a spirit well to save the game before quitting?

bgbball31

Oct 25, 2017
Not only have I been paying on hard, but
I must have messed up when doing the reverse order for the bell puzzle at the bottom of Inkwater Marsh, spent a half an hour needlessly trying to figure out the symbols on the tablet in the inventory, couldn't, left it, then went and finished the first escape sequence. Came back, retried just doing the reverse order, and it worked first time. Spent a third of the game without the 25% damage buff.

Goodness I feel dumb.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Just got to the part where you reunite with li'l owl. That was a heartwarming moment, sure it will be shortlived :( Too bad work exists because this is one of those rare games I could be playing all day.

Does the game save when you hit a checkpoint? Or do I physically have to go to a spirit well to save the game before quitting?
It constantly saves (when you see the icon). Wells are only for warping.

flyingsaucer

Feb 28, 2020
So, what is the consensus so far on the difficulty options? Is hard too hard, or is it fine? Is normal just right or a bit easy? I am still undecided

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

If most people playing it, and it's dropping from 60 to 50-59 that's to be expected for most games.

And just because you have the exact same console as other people doesn't mean YOUR console can't be having issues. Are you playing it off an external drive, maybe your fans are clogged, maybe the console needs the cache wiped. There are still tons of factors why you would be having issues others aren't.

If 1 fps drop is noticable for you, then that sucks, maybe you should buy a beefy pc