• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
D9d2REz.gif

lO6SLlb.png

CnGAlyN.png

Platform(s): PC, Xbox One, Xbox Series S|X, Nintendo Switch, Android (Game Streaming)
PC, Xbox One: March 11th, 2020​
Android (Game Streaming): September 15th, 2020​
Nintendo Switch: September 17th, 2020​
Xbox Series S|X: November 10th, 2020​
Genre: Exploratory Platformer (Metroidvania)
Price:
Standard Edition: 29.99 USD​
Original Collector's Edition: 49.99 USD (Xbox One Only)​
iam8bit Collector's Edition: 149.99 USD​
Game Pass: Included in the PC/Xbox subscription​
Player(s): 1
Format: Digital/Physical
Developer: Moon Studios
Publisher: Xbox Game Studios
Size: ~5 to ~15GB (Depending on platform)

*Reminder to mark any spoilers!*

gameplayiija7.png

A sequel to one of 2015's most acclaimed titles, Ori and the Will of the Wisps continues the story of Ori and their adopted family while making a series of significant changes and additions to the framework of the original game in a bid to create one of the best Exploratory Platformers (or Metroidvanias) of the generation.

kqgm0AI.gif

recap1ggkcr.png

Ori and the Blind Forest told the tale of Ori, child of the Spirit Tree of Nibel, who was separated from their home in a storm and taken in by the bighearted Naru. As the two bonded over time, an unknown event caused the forest to start to wither and expire—causing the death of Naru as the resources of the forest diminished. Ori had to strike out on their own and succumbed to the elements, but was revived by the Spirit Tree itself and was granted the light of Nibel.

recap2xgjmc.png

As Ori continued to explore they met a spirit named Sein who explained that, during the years spent Ori with Naru, an Owl named Kuro had ripped Sein—who acted the eyes of the Spirit Tree—from their perch, causing the elements of the forest to spiral out of control and leading to Nibel's dire state.

recap3o4kkk.png

The two set off to bring the three elements to order and draw powers from deceased ancestral spirits, found throughout the world growing as trees, to do so. The first element brought under control was water which resided in the Ginso Tree. During this, the party befriended Gumo, last of the Gumon, and first came into confrontation with Kuro herself after restoring the water element, narrowly escaping her wrath.

recap4cpj1w.png

Kuro's motivation for attacking the Spirit Tree came to light after Ori and Sein restored the second element, wind, (assisted by a discarded feather from the large owl) and reached her nest. It was revealed that Kuro had been away from her nested young when the Spirit Tree flooded the night with light to try and reach out to Ori, inadvertently killing those young owls. It was the rage at this discovery and desire to stop a similar fate for her sole unborn egg that propelled Kuro to attack not only the Spirit Tree, but to also hound Ori and Sein as they attempted to undo her work.

recap5rwkpz.png

As Ori and Sein journeyed through the final gauntlet to restore the element of warmth and stop Mount Horu from erupting, Gumo was able to use an energy source from his people to revive Naru (having watched her and Ori from afar in the past). Despite restoring the 3rd element, fires erupted from Kuro's pursuit of Ori and Sein and they were unable to get to the Spirit Tree to stop the flames from spreading before Kuro caught them, gravely wounding the duo.

recap6dvja5.png

Naru (having followed Gumo's lead) caught up to Ori, and in watching the two reunite Kuro was given a moment of clarity—enough to see that the out of control fires were approaching her nest and her remaining egg. In a bid to stop the inferno Kuro reunites Sein with the Spirit Tree but was disintegrated by the energy released as the Spirit Tree was resurrected and stopped the fires.

recap7arjwt.png

The story cuts to some point in the future where the Ori and the forest of Nibel have both fully recovered. Naru, Ori and Gumo all live together and have taken in Kuro's last egg as they anxiously await what is to come...

Wp1GrtH.gif

Ori and the Blind Forest had a static order you could tackle objectives in; you could explore off the beaten path for stat-modifying collectables but it was a linear campaign aside from the additional two zones added in the Definitive Edition. Will of the Wisps opens things up to allow for significantly more player freedom in how they explore the world and the order they choose to complete events once they game opens up in the early hours.

zpueIW0.png

With that newform freedom comes a much larger world, one with an estimated size 3 times as large as the one featured in The Blind Forest. In this new map you'll find NPCs offering quests, conversation or their wares (from weapons to skills and maps) for you to purchase as well as more hidden collectables and challenges that reward a keen eye.

RZRUtpM.gif

The ability for player choice in exploration also is reflected in character growth. No longer limited to a set skill tree Ori now has the ability to equip and upgrade Spirit Shards that represent different abilities and can be swapped out at any time to meet your respective need. Some will enhance your traversal abilities (such as a third jump or the ability to stick to a wall) and other will offer more standard modifications such as increased damage or defense.

hwwZjOc.png

You'll find these shards throughout the world and also be able to purchase a selection of them from the NPC Twillen.

b3esVsd.gif

A complaint for The Blind Forest was how the focus on traversal mechanics lead to weaker combat. Will of the Wisps aims to rectify that by providing the player with a suite of combat options ranging from energy swords, whips and bows that you can equip and use—provided you have enough spirit energy. The aim is for combat to be just as important as platforming this time around.

yyOoaWV.png

You also will have access to that classic "bash" ability so the game won't be locking yourself out of a more traversal-focused playstyle if you enjoyed that approach in the original game. You can upgrade your weapons to add additional effects such as more arrows for your bow ability to help you face off against Will of the Wisps new boss enemies in combat.

nCPLbd6.gif

Ori and the Will of the Wisps is a more technically proficient title than its predecessor. Instead of using pre-rendered sprites for the characters and creatures of the world, the game has switched to a 3D pipeline and now uses real-time 3D models. Because of that objects in Will of the Wisps are able to show significantly smoother movement and now animate at 60fps (and beyond) rather than the 30fps limit in the original game.

sipYrOH.png

The game also supports HDR on all compatible Xbox hardware (PC is coming later), 4k rendering on the Xbox One X (TBA on reconstruction or not) and aims to maintain 60fps. PC users can also expect 21:9 support at launch and the ability to run the game at higher refresh rates than 60hz without encountering the audio desynchronization issues like in The Blind Forest.

mPxnsKk.gif

Gareth Coker returns to follow up his acclaimed score for Ori and the Blind Forest with a 186 minutes of brand-new music written for Will of the Wisps (timing from the OST release, not the game itself). Buying the physical Collector's Edition of the game will get you a digital version of this soundtrack which will also be sold separately.

xIo3oKE.png

The soundtrack will be released a day before Will of the Wisps on March 10th, 2020.

dYrhzHk.gif

Multiplayer, of a sort, comes to Ori with this asynchronous race mode. You'll be able to find stones throughout the game world which will let you challenge the ghosts of multiple players as you race to another stone in an effort to win a prize for achieving a fast time..

ui02Zwc.png

generalfaq18kab.png

How long is the game?
We don't have a ballpark hour count but, with the larger world and additional side content, the game length should be longer than the 8 or so hours it took for a first-time playthrough of the Blind Forest.

Should I complete the original game before playing Will of the Wisps?
It's not required for the narrative, but having that additional context will be helpful.

How does saving work?
The need to create your own save points has been removed and replaced with a more standard checkpoint setup.

Switch port?
Yes! As announced on September 17th 2020 as a part of the Nintendo Direct Mini Partner Showcase, Ori and the Will of the Wisps is now available on Nintendo's hybrid console.

Xbox achievements on Switch?
There are not any currently and there is no news if they will be patched in at a later date or not.

Physical release on PC/Switch?
Not initially but it will get one in December via iam8bit.

How does the game look and perform on the different consoles?
Xbox One: Dynamic 720p-900p with a 40-60 fps range
Xbox One X: Dynamic resolutions that range from 1368p to 1728p with a 50-60 fps range
*Switch Docked: Dynamic 640-900p with a 50-60 fps range
*Switch Handheld: Dynamic 540-720p with a 50-60 fps range

*Image quality for backgrounds can present at a worse image quality depending on rendering load.

Difficulty options?
Yes, you will have the choice between an Easy, Normal and Hard option with Hard being recommended for subsequent playthroughs. In that final difficulty you'll take twice the amount of damage, upgrade costs are 50% higher and escape sequences are 25% more difficult.

Can I change my difficulty midway through the game?
No. What you pick at the start is what you're locked in at.

21:9 support?
Yes. Ori and the Will of the Wisps will support a native 21:9 aspect ratio from day 1 on PC.

I ran the original game on my PC. Am I OK to run the sequel on the same machine?
It depends on your hardware. Will of the Wisps is a more demanding game than its predecessor so give the specs a look if you think your machine is getting a little long in the tooth.

Play Anywhere?
Yes. The game is part of that program so buying the game on the Xbox Store gets you the title (with crossave support) on both PC and Xbox One.

Is there a day 1 patch?
Yes, notably coming with some optimization fixes for the base Xbox One.

Can I fast travel in the game?
Yes.

Game Pass?
Yes. Ori and the Will of the Wisps is available as part of Game Pass on both Xbox One and PC. If you are an active member of that service you can play it without any additional cost.

Will there be a GOG release at some point?
Unknown.

Does the PC version have HDR support?
Yes, it was added in a post-release update.

120hz support on PC?
Yes.

Xbox Series X enhancements?
Yes, Ori and the Will of the Wisps will get a free update on the Series X via Smart Delivery. The game will feature 4k/120hz and 6k/60fps modes as well as improved audio processing.

60fps vs 120fps (slowed for comparison):
CjQgqvj.gif

Xbox Series S enhancements?
Yes, you can choose between 1080p/120fps and 4k/60fps modes.

mediadvklb.png

ss_0cf0ec6681ae5771173790dbc99ddb3bf3b886ad.600x338.jpg
ss_d33bc7bb1d106b841a28d1cf3403fb7b1188252f.600x338.jpg

ss_51669b20e227a97d9f4461d21169eb00aed5500b.600x338.jpg
ss_5ffe2793e2a48de43d9d1532daf963ec7d16320e.600x338.jpg

nmKbrQY.gif
lodiayJ.gif

versionsebj5s.png

Digital
JZDCIoE.png

Like Ori and the Blind Forest you will be able to buy the game via Steam and Xbox One/Windows 10, if you are an active Game Pass member on PC or Xbox you can play this version as part of that service. As a fun little aside folks who happen to live in Germany can also pick up a special pop-up card at Saturn and Media Markt that includes a code for the game on Windows 10/Xbox One.

Physical
UyULm1c.png

Featuring a day-and-date release with the digital version of the game.Folk who want to get the game on physical media can do so without having to wait like with The Blind Forest.

Collectors Edition
p62NtW6.png

The first in-house Collector's Edition for Ori. This set includes a steelbook case with physical game, CD with a new piano arrangement of the soundtrack, a digital OST, and an artbook all contained in "premium packaging".

iam8bit Collectors Edition
zyC0SBT.png

Premium "Transforming" Display Box with Glow-in-the-Dark Finish
Majestic Stained Glass style Art Piece
"The Flora & Fauna of Ori" Field Guide
Sketchbook Zine, featuring rarely seen production art
Collectible Art Card Set
Hard Enamel, Glow-in-the-Dark Pin
Digital Download Cards for Ori and the Blind Forest and Ori and the Will of the Wisps soundtracks by composer Gareth Coker
Physical Editions of Ori and the Will of the Wisps and Ori and the Blind Forest, featuring Exclusive, Reversible Cover Art (Region Free - Worldwide Compatibility)

Standard Switch Release
Releasing later this year.

reviewm7kgd.png

Metacritic
Xbox One | PC | Switch
Opencritic

GamingBolt 10/10
Fast, fluid movement; Tight platforming; A large map that is full of varied locations; Rewarding exploration; Emotionally resonant story; Excellent music; Beautiful art design; Radically improved combat with various meaningfully different weapons; Memorable boss fights; Reworked progression system offers a surprising amount of depth; Lots of engaging optional content; A new hub-like area that is a joy to exist in and upgrade.

Destructoid 9.5/10
With the need to go bigger, Ori and the Will of the Wisps loses some of the simplicity and innocence of the original game, but it steps up in turn with bite and refinement. It's the perfect companion to Ori and the Blind Forest, and is an early defining moment of the decade to come.

wccftech 8.7/10
Ori and the Will of Wisps is a truly delightful and devastating game that blends new ideas into a solid foundation, all topped off with an incredible score and even more breathtaking levels to explore.

links9mk6u.png

Review Thread

ebgjkGD.gif

Last edited:

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
I have this pre-ordered on Steam. I loved the first game (replayed it multiple times) and this is going to be even better, i imagine. I haven't seen any media other than the very first trailer and gameplay they showed. I can't wait.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
It took me hell of a lot longer than 8 hours to beat Blind Forest, just saying.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Very hyped for this. Blind Forest was my GOTY 2015 and I finished it a second time just a few days ago, this time on Switch. And it still holds up incredibly well.

I'm interested if the pacing still is as good as in Blind Forest, with Wisps being much longer.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The first game was just incredible. Getting through the Ginzu Tree was like... top 10 gaming moment alongside the Mountaintop in Celeste.

Can't wait for this one, but I hope my new headphone setup arrives in time. Need to hear this music in all its glory.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested if the pacing still is as good as in Blind Forest

I'm curious about that myself. With The Blind Forest being so linear everything was able to be paced pretty fantastically; a longer playtime and more freedom certainly make that seem like it'd be hard to maintain.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Just finished the first game a few minutes ago, never played it before and now I'm totally a fan. Can't imagine how it's like to wait 5 years for the 2nd game - 3 days already seems a lot.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the first game a few minutes ago, never played it before and now I'm totally a fan. Can't imagine how it's like to wait 5 years for the 2nd game - 3 days already seems a lot.

The wait, the numerous delays, all the hype previews and trailers

let me assure you it has been absolutely torturous

Werd

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Played Blind Forest around launch and played the DE last week. One of my favorite games of that year, but some of the level design didn't impress me as much second time around. Still quality with great presentation though.

I haven't used Game Pass as much as I should, but it will definitely be paying off with this one.

Jul 26, 2019
The Netherlands
Beautiful OT, OP!

I am SO excited for this release!! I actually haven't been this hyped for a release since Uncharted 4 (as Uncharted 2 has been my favourite game of all time) and me finally getting a PSVR at the end of 2017.

Ori 1 is in my top 5 of best games ever.

So I am gonna make it a very special moment, this wednesday evening, to finally start playing this, for sure!
Can't fucking wait!!

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
Might give the original another go, stuggled with it despite me generally loving metroidvanias.

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017
Can I actually play this in three days or are they still using this game to punish people who don't subscribe to Game Pass?

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Dancrane212 Thank you so much for putting this OT together, it's amazing! :)

I still can hardly believe we're finally there... after 4 years of hard work, it seems almost surreal. As I said many times before, we had enormously high goals when we set out to develop Ori and the Will of the Wisps. We never signed up to just make a straight sequel to Ori and the Blind Forest, instead we wanted to really go all out and make a sequel akin to what Nintendo did back then when they went from Zelda 1 to Zelda 3 or the original Super Mario Bros. to Super Mario Bros. 3. That basically meant that EVERYTHING had to get re-evaluated and improved upon. I really do hope that everyone who gets to play Will of the Wisps will see the love and care we've put into it. Moon Studios went from making a game with 20 people (including contractors) to a fully blown game dev studio with about 80 people working full-time now. And these folks are talent - For Will of the Wisps we hired some of the most amazing talent from places like Blizzard, Riot, Ubisoft, Dreamworks, etc, etc. The family has grown and I hope Will of the Wisps will show everyone what we can do!

I couldn't be more proud of everyone at Moon for pushing so hard just to hopefully make this game become an unforgettable experience for you all.

And to all the Ori fans here who have consistently shown amazing support, thank you so much. Making games isn't easy, it often means long hours and constant iteration, but reading how much Ori means to you all has definitely helped us through those tougher times.

Please feel free to post as many impressions as possible while you're playing - I'm sure everyone at Moon will refresh this thread all the time, we're insanely excited to finally see people stream Will of the Wisps and we wish you all an amazing time!

Oct 25, 2017
Nice OT, preordered the Collector's Edition, just to have it, and prepurchased the game on Steam.
Ori and the Blind Forest is probably my favorite game ever.

Do I need to prepare to cry?

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
Bought and preloaded on Xbox (Got 6000 MSFT reward points for it too which was a nice bonus)

Adored the first game and cant wait for this!

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

I still can hardly believe we're finally there... after 4 years of hard work, it seems almost surreal. As I said many times before, we had enormously high goals when we set out to develop Ori and the Will of the Wisps. We never signed up to just make a straight sequel to Ori and the Blind Forest, instead we wanted to really go all out and make a sequel akin to what Nintendo did back then when they went from Zelda 1 to Zelda 3 or the original Super Mario Bros. to Super Mario Bros. 3. That basically meant that EVERYTHING had to get re-evaluated and improved upon. I really do hope that everyone who gets to play Will of the Wisps will see the love and care we've put into it. Moon Studios went from making a game with 20 people (including contractors) to a fully blown game dev studio with about 80 people working full-time now. And these folks are talent - For Will of the Wisps we hired some of the most amazing talent from places like Blizzard, Riot, Ubisoft, Dreamworks, etc, etc. The family has grown and I hope Will of the Wisps will show everyone what we can do!

I couldn't be more proud of everyone at Moon for pushing so hard just to hopefully make this game become an unforgettable experience for you all.

And to all the Ori fans here who have consistently shown amazing support, thank you so much. Making games isn't easy, it often means long hours and constant iteration, but reading how much Ori means to you all has definitely helped us through those tougher times.

Please feel free to post as many impressions as possible while you're playing - I'm sure everyone at Moon will refresh this thread all the time, we're insanely excited to finally see people stream Will of the Wisps and we wish you all an amazing time!

Greatly appreciate your presence here and your insight.

Congrats on the launch!

Bigfellahull

Prophet of Truth
Mar 6, 2018
Just replayed the first in preparation. This is gonna be good! Can't wait till Wednesday.

predrag

Oct 27, 2017
Even if I am subscribed to Game Pass, I bought Ori 2 last night, just to support devs for their fantastic work. Can't wait!

desu

Oct 27, 2017
The wife and I are waiting patiently for this. The game is preloaded and just a few more days left to finally play this gem.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
Great OT!
Game is preloaded on Xbox, ready to go on wednesday!

Congrats to thomasmahler and the team, it's surely going to be special!

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Great OT like always DanCrane...really happy they added a difficulty option for this,I will start on normal and turn it down to easy if needed...do we know if you can go from Easy to Normal at will...?

Rabbit

Feb 24, 2018
Been looking forward to this day for years. The first one is still my favorite game of all time so I can't wait for this one to replace it for me.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
very good OT name

played ori 1 for the first time a couple months ago and thought it was nice and hyper polished but ultimately mediocre. Looking forward to this one, hope it's great!

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
great OT Dancrane212!
are you sure the review embargo lifts on 10 PM GMT and not 10 AM GMT?
also should i post the review thread now so people can predict the metascore, or just post it a few hours before the embargo?

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm finishing up Ori right now on PC caused im HYPED

I played the original on xbox but didnt finish it, but thanks to PC Game Pass and cross-save, I was able to continue where I left off 🙌

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017

I am beyond excited to play what I think will be a masterpiece from your team, and I have the Collector's edition ordered even though I have Game Pass because it was just way too awesome looking to not further support the team's efforts.