• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Just finished this game...it's so great

I do wish there was more of a resolution for Shriek though, I thought that was sad

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
Just finished this game...it's so great

I do wish there was more of a resolution for Shriek though, I thought that was sad

I just finished it two days ago.

It was very sad. The first game dealt with unresolved pain and self-destruction too but dang...it hit me hard at the end of this one.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Yeah this game is so amazing and so sad. GOTY for me. I also really enjoyed the escape sequences, once you figured them out and they clicked, they were so good.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Interview on the game/port that touches on a variety of subjects including content cut from the game:
www.thegamer.com

Ori And The Will Of The Wisps Interview — Art, Cut Content, And The Pressure Of Making A Sequel

We recently sat down with the Ori and the Will of the Wisps art team to discuss gorgeous visuals, cut content, and the pressure of making a sequel.

"We had this idea for a secret area you could find that we were going to call The Owl Vale in the Silent Woods," Gritton says. "It was going to be this little pocket of the Silent Woods that was sealed away, it was protected behind some ruins, and when you'd go into it, it would be a little pocket of the forest that was still healthy, and there would be owl eggs that were safely tucked away. We ended up cutting that due to production, it was better to focus on the Golden Path.

"It was a small scale addition that would have been a very rewarding secret spot to find. It wouldn't have been the same as a typical secret spot, it would have been a lot harder to unlock to warrant the reward of finding this little story space. But I think that one could have been cool."

Van Leeuwen notes that there were other areas that were unfortunately cut, too. Among them was an oasis hidden in the desert, a large vine forest between the water mill and the Winter Forest called the Riverlands, and a section based on the Gorlek mines. Apparently, you can still see all of these areas if you turn off certain modes in the development engine, which show all of the blockouts. It's probably four times as many places and scenes and puzzles and areas," van Leeuwen says.

safety_lite

Jan 16, 2018
Chicago, IL
Any word from the developer addressing the crashing issues? I was really enjoying this game but put it down out of frustration from the constant crashes.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
After putting this down upon arriving at Luma Pools on my OG Xbox One back in March, due to the still unresolved and persistence stuttering issues, I decided to buy this on the Switch last week after reading up about the Switch version being a fantastic port, crashing issues notwithstanding.

Although I openly admit that this feels like a more complete and well rounded experience, I think I prefer both the journey and story in The Blind Forest. Gameplay wise, The Will of the Wisps is more refined, and the new combat shares inspiration from Hollow Knight, and manages to pull it off very well.

I know not everyone liked those escape sequences in the first game, and I had particular trouble with one of them, which consequently lowered my enjoyment of the game. To see them back again pleased me, and outside of the one with Kwolok, I had comparatively fewer issues to The Blind Forest.

In fact, I somehow managed to complete the one before the Willow's End on my first attempt!

Although I was more invested in the journey and story of the Ori-ginal game (ho ho!), I have to say that the ending in The Will of the Wisps left a big lump in my throat for a number of reasons:

• Ori was the narrator all along! What a stunning little twist — realising that Ori was recounting his own adventure from before he became the new Spirit Tree blew my mind.
  • Shriek's story ending like that was... so heartbreaking. It is kind of the opposite of the first game in which Kuro eventually, if belatedly, realised the connection Ori shares with others. Kuro saw the light and changed, whereas Shriek went back to the darkness and curled up in the wing of his long gone parents.
  • Seeing Naru and Gumo spending the rest of their days in the company of the new Spirit Tree, looking after it with the same love and affection they had always shared with Ori was so touching to see.
  • The white leaf separating from the Spirit Tree makes me ponder about this games ideology of reincarnation, and a way to continue Ori's adventures. Perhaps we won't play as Ori anymore, but a new light spirit creature with a different design would be a worthwhile idea.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat this a minute ago, and man, what a story.

I choose to believe that the faces of Ku, Gumo, and Naru on the tree mean that they are in there and a part of Ori's spirit now. Also, what a sad character Shriek is, and what a sad end. These writers are great at making you feel bad for the villains and not want to actually defeat them but befriend them instead.

Emissary

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game. Overall it was alright though I wasn't a big fan of the combat since there were too many effects going on for me to keep track of what was going on sometimes.

The way the Shriek character was handled soured me on the ending as a whole. We basically find out this character has been treated like shit all it's life and it gets a pretty cruel end to top it off.

Art book announced
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Art book announced for the game:

ORI_cover-768x768.jpg

A premium hardcover volume that shows the art of Ori and the Will of the Wisps as you've never seen it before
Ori and the Will of the Wisps is one of those rare games that simply requires an art book; it is an exercise in pushing the boundaries of how beautiful a videogame can be. Its characters, environments and cinematics are industry-leading in their visual splendour and artistic direction—the world of Niwen is both cohesive and full of contrast, and the vast collection of concept art that birthed it is every bit as beautiful as you'd expect.

Future Press is proud to present The Art of Ori and the Will of the Wisps, a premium, art book, focused entirely on the wonderful concept art, sketches and storyboards that resulted in the creation of a true modern masterpiece. Each piece is accompanied by commentary from the artists at Moon Studios, and the book includes an in-depth interview with the game's artistic leads that makes for an enlightening journey through the game's development.

Limited Edition with a premium hardcover
Printed on high quality soft touch art paper
Thread-sewn binding for maximum page view and durability
More than 500 artworks in full size

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Will of the Wisps will be enhanced for the Series X|S launch day:
news.xbox.com

30 Games Fully Optimized on Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S Launch Day - Xbox Wire

The launch of a new generation of games is the culmination of epic creative and technical endeavors from developers around the globe, all focused on a single goal: delivering immersive new experiences and rich new worlds to explore. The Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S day one lineup reflects...

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Switch update live
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Switch update is live:
www.orithegame.com

Ori and the Will of the Wisps Switch Patch is live!

Last month, we surprised everyone by fulfilling the number one community request since the launch of Ori and the Will of the Wisps: Bring it to the Switch! We heard you loud and clear and are so…

Last month, we surprised everyone by fulfilling the number one community request since the launch of Ori and the Will of the Wisps: Bring it to the Switch! We heard you loud and clear and are so thankful for the support and love from the Ori community. Moon Studios have been hard at work improving your Ori experience on the Switch, and the update includes:

Stability fixes to address multiple memory crashes, a graphical crash, and a docked/undocked swap crash.
Spirit Trial leaderboards and ghosts updated to show your friends scores and routes.
Improved Spirit Trial framerate performance.
Fixed multiple instances of Ori falling out of world due to scene loading race conditions.
Curtailed internet popup warning when swapping from online to offline during gameplay.
To get the patch, simply connect to the internet and launch the game. An update message will appear on your Switch, select "Download," and the game will update.

We hope you enjoy the latest version of Ori and the Will of the Wisps on Switch, a Metacritic Must Play!

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Just picked this up on the Switch and glad to hear there's a patch. I gotta download it and try it out. Loving the game but the few crashes are annoying. Something about this game makes me want to explore and get 100%. I usually hate exploring in other games, maybe because the map isn't too big.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Just picked this up on the Switch and glad to hear there's a patch. I gotta download it and try it out. Loving the game but the few crashes are annoying. Something about this game makes me want to explore and get 100%. I usually hate exploring in other games, maybe because the map isn't too big.

Here's hoping things go smoothly with the patch!

Got my 3080 and been trying this 4k 120fps. So good.

Very jealous, WotW will definitely be my first 120fps title when I get a screen for it.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Would love to hear some user feedback as well - the patch should make the game very stable, you shouldn't experience any more crashes. Feel free to chime in :)

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I almost deleted the game just now

ku better be alive by the end of this game you heartless bastards.

had a small frame rate dip on Switch, but so far no crashes.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Would love to hear some user feedback as well - the patch should make the game very stable, you shouldn't experience any more crashes. Feel free to chime in :)
I've had two instances now after updating where the sound effects glitch out. I can hear some audio like the bgm but things like the slash sounds from my spirit arc go away. They come back at random times later. I also feel like I'm experiencing momentary frame drops more often

GennadiyKorol

Lead Engineer at Moon Studios
Verified
Aug 19, 2019
If you're on a high end PC or SX we can't wait for you to try the new high quality audio and graphics modes! The super sampled image quality and 120fps are bananas!

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
If you're on a high end PC or SX we can't wait for you to try the new high quality audio and graphics modes! The super sampled image quality and 120fps are bananas!

Can you offer any details on how the audio enhancements of "Dynamic Range and Convolution Reverb" translate into moment to moment gameplay? Is it something like better simulating the audio bouncing around the environment?

GennadiyKorol

Verified
Aug 19, 2019
Can you offer any details on how the audio enhancements of "Dynamic Range and Convolution Reverb" translate into moment to moment gameplay?

With the extra CPU power we were able to throw a lot more processing at our realtime audio mix and did a big pass on everything to beef things up, add convolution reverbs and more complex realtime mixing techniques that lead to a cleaner, punchier and more dynamic mix. As well as higher quality source assets to top it off.

The game should sound more immersive, the ambience richer, the spaces are more realistic and the combat is a lot more tactile. The soundtrack sounds detailed as ever.

We then brought it over to PC as well as a new high quality audio option.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
With the extra CPU power we were able to throw a lot more processing at our realtime audio mix and did a big pass on everything to beef things up, add convolution reverbs and more complex realtime mixing techniques that lead to a cleaner, punchier and more dynamic mix. As well as higher quality source assets to top it off.

The game should sound more immersive, the ambience richer, the spaces are more realistic and the combat is a lot more tactile. The soundtrack sounds detailed as ever.

Ah, that's awesome. I still want to hold off on my hard mode replay until I have a 120hz screen, but I'll be excited hear those enhancements come through my headphones when the time comes.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro

Hello, I have a question, in your experience is ray tracing something you have to design the game around early on for it to be worth it (performance wise), I know the next project is at an early stage and I am not sure if you can answer this, but have you guys considered it for the next project already? Has it been talked about?

Also curious on your instance on DLSS and the AMD equivalent if you could chime in on that.

Thanks, I like your work, I think you guys are very efficient, patiently wainting foe the next project.

Thanks if you can answer anything.

flyingsaucer

Feb 28, 2020
Thank you and Moon for the improvements!
I have a question if you don't mind: Should I expect an improvement on the image quality on PC at 1080p with the new high quality mode if I already ran the game with the resolution scaler at 200% prior to this patch?
Thanks

Last edited:

GennadiyKorol

Verified
Aug 19, 2019
Thank you and Moon for the improvements!
I have a question if you don't mind: Should I expect an improvement on the image quality at on PC 1080p with the new high quality mode if I already ran the game with the resolution scaler at 200% prior to this patch?
Thanks

Absolutely. We have improved how the super sampling works internally and you will be able to go even higher now becuase in High Quality mode there'll be even more additional magic to make the image quality sharper.

GennadiyKorol

Verified
Aug 19, 2019
For someone using a combination of High Quality Mode, and 200% Resolution Scale what is the recommended sharpening?

Our rendering pipeline will adjust the sharpness internally based on the amount of super-sampling.
We usually take time to make sure that the defaults are as good as they can be, so ideally if you like what you see you don't need to change anything :)

But you can always nudge the slider and see if you like less or more sharpness! The default is at 33% so you can always go back to that.

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
I just started playing this on PC with a 2080ti and I could swear the first time I played it the game was smooth. I booted it up again and now the frame rate seems to be stuttering despite my FPS count showing 100+. I have graphics on high and the sliders at the default setting. Any way to fix this?

GennadiyKorol

Verified
Aug 19, 2019
I just started playing this on PC with a 2080ti and I could swear the first time I played it the game was smooth. I booted it up again and now the frame rate seems to be stuttering despite my FPS count showing 100+. I have graphics on high and the sliders at the default setting. Any way to fix this?

On a PC this could be due to the swap chain / windows shennanigans and Gsync. You can try disabling Vsync and or trying different full screen modes - Exclusive might help.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
The optimizations are excellent since I last tried this on my GTX 1660, had to drop down to 1800p before to get a solid 60, now at 4k it's locked in balanced mode and my GPU is rarely even bothering to boost up to max clocks. Nice work guys.

Sep 18, 2020
Basically the only game I want from Microsoft atm
Unfortunately I'm on PS4 :'(
Don't really feel like streaming it with input lag and what not..

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Ran around a bit in the Glades just to take a peak at the changes and, even on my 1080p set, the difference was immediately noticeable compared to the One X. It's real sharp stuff, and I'm really looking forward to seeing it on a proper "next-gen ready" display.