• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I believe the PC Gamepass version is not updated to the newest version (day 1 patch) yet, currently at 1.0.4114.0 as displayed in the MS Store under updates :(
This is annoying as hell, come on Microsoft! Any word from Moon Studios on the patch situation on each given platform?
You sure? I just opened the Xbox app and it says update available?

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Anyone started the game on hard? How hard is it? Kinda want to play it on hard and suffer on my first playthrough. 🤷‍♀️

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone started the game on hard? How hard is it? Kinda want to play it on hard and suffer on my first playthrough. 🤷‍♀️
I asked someone in the review thread who played on hard and they had this to say.

Not going to lie, the game is tough but I never felt it was unfair so if you like challenging games, then by all means go for it. There's more than enough tools to get over anything, even a boss I was struggling with, I changed the way some of my attacks worked and I killed it pretty easily. The game states that Escape Sequences are 25% more difficult in Hard but I thought they were perfect on Hard so i'll need to check out Normal's difference.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
They are not joking when they say you get to move around the map much quicker.

You get some of the late game upgrades in BF super early this time.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
It's hard. Very hard. For a First Time Playthrough I'd recommend Normal Mode.

I asked someone in the review thread who played on hard and they had this to say.

Hmm, I like challenge. As long as it's not unfair. I'm going with hard. Thank you!

I 100%'d hollow knight, i'm ready for this. hehe.

clearly a 90+ game, which inexplicably receives ~80 reviews

nothing changes around here

It's sitting at 91 on metacritic

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yep, to back up what I said in the review thread, Hard is definitely challenging for sure and if you're in any way concerned it might impact your enjoyment of the game, then go with Thomas's suggestion of Normal (he did create the game after all), the game is remarkable in every way and difficulty shouldn't impact your enjoyment the first time through in my opinion.

Having said that, I tend to always try to play on the harder difficulties and I think Moon Studios deserves respect for the Hard mode in the game. It makes battles feel a lot more involved without feeling like they;re just upping HP values or something. The game is never unfair and there's plenty of tools to shift the balance in your favor, in terms of the enemies, I only really had trouble with the bosses. They are difficult but they're so expertly designed that they all have mechanics and tells you can learn and there's loadouts you can use to give you an easier time.

thomasmahler , what was the differences of the escape sequences on hard, the game states they're 25% more difficult but they honestly felt perfectly fine and fair to me so I was curious to see what the differences are (I plan to do a Normal playthrough soon).

flyingsaucer

Feb 28, 2020
Having said that, I tend to always try to play on the harder difficulties and I think Moon Studios deserves respect for the Hard mode in the game. It makes battles feel a lot more involved without feeling like they;re just upping HP values or something. The game is never unfair and there's plenty of tools to shift the balance in your favor, in terms of the enemies, I only really had trouble with the bosses. They are difficult but they're so expertly designed that they all have mechanics and tells you can learn and there's loadouts you can use to give you an easier time.
That sounds like it would make hunting for Shards and whatnot even more rewarding and the combat more satisfying. I'm leaning towards Hard right now.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
One of the major differences I did notice on Hard though is that merchants are a lot more expensive but I never felt the need to grind for Spirit Light and unlocked most by the end of my playthrough with about half of the Spirit Shards upgraded. Even then, there are Shards you can equip which will increase the rate at which you obtain Spirit Shards that I never equipped.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
even normal is kind of challenging. Been through 1 hour so far. Gotta get some work done now.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The sound design along with the music is pretty much perfection so far. There's a satisfying crispness/attention to detail in all the audio effects and from what I played it's already got OST of the year tier. It's also dynamically mixed into the background depending on what's happening at times.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Damn the prologues got me crying again. God damn it Moon. It's so sweet.

verbose

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Damn, the audio bug is driving me crazy. That day one patch can't land soon enough.

Everything else though... *Italian Chefs Kiss*

flyingsaucer

Feb 28, 2020
The sound design along with the music is pretty much perfection so far. There's a satisfying crispness/attention to detail in all the audio effects and from what I played it's already got OST of the year tier. It's also dynamically mixed into the background depending on what's happening at times.
I remember Thomas mentioning the sound effects are made by Formosa who did Frozen, Blade Runner 2049, God of War, The Last of Us, MGSV etc.. Guess that investment paid off :)

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Yep, to back up what I said in the review thread, Hard is definitely challenging for sure and if you're in any way concerned it might impact your enjoyment of the game, then go with Thomas's suggestion of Normal (he did create the game after all), the game is remarkable in every way and difficulty shouldn't impact your enjoyment the first time through in my opinion.

thomasmahler , what was the differences of the escape sequences on hard, the game states they're 25% more difficult but they honestly felt perfectly fine and fair to me so I was curious to see what the differences are (I plan to do a Normal playthrough soon).

Thanks, I definitely like what i'm reading here. Hard it is, for sure!

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Thanks, I definitely like what i'm reading here. Hard it is, for sure!
Don't say I didn't warn you!

I think you're just a pretty damn good player. Hard is very challenging and the escapes are 25% tougher... I mean, even I die every now and then trying to do them on Hard. Hard Mode was specifically made for people who played through the game at least once on Normal Mode, sort of as a 'Quest B' type of situation where you now have to play much more strategically and have to know exactly what you're doing or you'll get punished.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
The game still has massive hickups on Xbox One X even after the day one patch.

Are you playing on an external HD? The game is streaming all the time, so you might see worse loading issues if you play on a slower HDD. It's either that or you'd accept loading screens like in other games and I think we made the right choice there.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Game doesn't feel 100% smooth on PC, every second or so I get microstutters. Tried vsync off, control panel based vsync, locking to 60 FPS, nothing helps.
But Jesus Christ if isn't it beautiful to look at and listen to.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Are you playing on an external HD? The game is streaming all the time, so you might see worse loading issues if you play on a slower HDD. It's either that or you'd accept loading screens like in other games and I think we made the right choice there.
playing on One X internal HD, and massive slowdowns in the beginning, and audio issues. At first thought it was my wireless headset but others have been making the same complaint.. Crashed my system on first start-up too.

Running better now that im out of the prologue.

Going to try on my PC now.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone confirmed if it's possible to switch difficulties on the fly?

gr0w

Oct 28, 2017
Just played throught he first 20 minutes or so and the game already had me in tears because it is so goddamn cute. I cannot grasp how insanely beautiful it is, and mixed with this crisp, clear, atmospheric sound, the developers did such an amazing job!!

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
This game pops

21f58418-8acd-4627-8efe-d7dc7d75b1f0.PNG

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely no end of screenshot opportunities here. My console background/wallpaper game is gonna be on point for the next year.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Game doesn't feel 100% smooth on PC, every second or so I get microstutters. Tried vsync off, control panel based vsync, locking to 60 FPS, nothing helps.

Locking it to your refreshrate via RTSS helps tremendously, also vsync off.

My framerate now stabilized after doing that. It still hitches in cutscenes but in the gameworld it's way better.

Wordstar

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

thomasmahler Im 2 hours in now and i also noticed that the framerate seems to drop when there are scenes with extreme light sources coming through from the back. Any word on this? Playing on XBOX One X

Game probably feels much better on Series X :-D

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017

This makes me really nervous. I played some of the original last night on PC and the hitching was very distracting.