• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Played a few more hours tonight. I'm having an absolute blast! I haven't noticed any real additional slowdown except for maybe one little hiccup. I did have one crash, though.

Again, playing in docked mode.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
Guess the switch makes for the perfect time to replay the game! Still my game of the year. Absolutely loved my time with it.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I messaged a friend who picked it up and yeah, they got a couple crashes as well. Still pretty early but no significant performance issues aside from that.

Apr 19, 2018
Had three more crashes today.

The first was at Baur's Reach. Was about to square off against one of the Armored Gorlek enemies, and the game froze up.

The next was another case where I was attempting to fast travel warp. Ori spun, the screen turned white, and then the game stopped. Ori basically warped himself into the void lol.

The next was when I was just about to start the Combat Shrine in Silent Woods. The first set of enemies appeared and the game just crashed.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Had three more crashes today.

The first was at Baur's Reach. Was about to square off against one of the Armored Gorlek enemies, and the game froze up.

The next was another case where I was attempting to fast travel warp. Ori spun, the screen turned white, and then the game stopped. Ori basically warped himself into the void lol.

The next was when I was just about to start the Combat Shrine in Silent Woods. The first set of enemies appeared and the game just crashed.

How's the performance at least for those areas?

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
I've played about 5 hours now on Switch (docked only), and haven't had any crashes. Have had a few 2-3 long pauses that I thought were gonna lead to crashes, but the game eventually started moving again.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
I'm about 7-8 hours in now. Performance is still very good overall - I did have one more crash and a few hiccups but nothing major beyond that. I also spent about 30 minutes in handheld mode and the game ran pretty smooth.

The combat is so much better in this game compared to the first one. Being able to customize your character with the shards and different abilities (that you purchase) has been really enjoyable.

Last edited:

safety_lite

Jan 16, 2018
Chicago, IL
I have been enjoying this game immensely! I'm so impressed by the compilation and execution of the interesting combat and traversal mechanics. This is one of the most satisfying metroidvania's I've ever played.

The nintendo switch is my only gaming hardware and this was not on my radar at all until I saw the trailer during the switch partner direct. I'm so glad they ported this to switch and that I'm able to play it.

That being said, it's crashing on me pretty consistently. I think I'm around 60% of the way through and it's crashed at least 8 times.

Oct 27, 2017
Crashes occur more often than I'd like but I really love this game. This is one of the best Metroidvania ever created. Once they work out the crashes on the switch port I will rate it 10/10 but for now 9/10.

Oct 27, 2017
Just best the game. The feels.....damn. I get it but I hope the
leaf that floats away is Ori's reincarnation / separation from the tree
Damn, just damn!

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017
Just best the game. The feels.....damn. I get it but I hope the
leaf that floats away is Ori's reincarnation / separation from the tree
Damn, just damn!
I'm hoping the leaf is either Ori themself or a new named descendent but the next game uses Ori as the narrator so they can keep the name. A new spirit with a new design would be neat and adult Ku would be a great companion and a new supporting cast would be cool as well. No matter what they do I need an Ori 3 after how fantastic Will of the Wisps was.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping the leaf is either Ori themself or a new named descendent but the next game uses Ori as the narrator so they can keep the name. A new spirit with a new design would be neat and adult Ku would be a great companion and a new supporting cast would be cool as well. No matter what they do I need an Ori 3 after how fantastic Will of the Wisps was.

Well said and I agree 100%

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
There are some hints in WotW about the larger picture, things that could be pretty interesting to see addressed in a follow-up. No rush to get another Ori game just yet though, but I'll be excited whenever the series gets picked up again.

Last edited:

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Another solid play session yesterday. No crashes and the performance was silky smooth.

I had the boss fight with
Mora
and loved it. It was challenging but never frustrating and really forced me to consider the best way to use some of my abilities.

ExpandedKang

Oct 30, 2017
Last night I was getting a number of crashes and while frustratedly spamming the buttons at the title screen managed to delete my save file. I know, I'm an idiot. :/

This game is awesome but I might wait till it's a bit more stable before playing again.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Last night I was getting a number of crashes and while frustratedly spamming the buttons at the title screen managed to delete my save file. I know, I'm an idiot. :/

This game is awesome but I might wait till it's a bit more stable before playing again.
Aren't there a shitload of saves and not just one?

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Another solid play session yesterday. No crashes and the performance was silky smooth.

I had the boss fight with
Mora
and loved it. It was challenging but never frustrating and really forced me to consider the best way to use some of my abilities.

It is such a fantastic fight. The way the stage evolves during the encounter is pitch prefect.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Switch port got a 9/10 from NintendoLife:
www.nintendolife.com

Review: Ori And The Will Of The Wisps - This Xbox Classic Is A Must-Have On Switch

A beautiful sequel that stands on its own merits
Ori and the Will of the Wisps is not just a great sequel; in many ways, it outdoes its predecessor. The addition of more customization options, a greater focus on combat and a better-developed story – all in a game that's running at 60 frames per second – allows the sequel to comprehensively outshine the original. However, this does come at a cost of stability, as several crashes and soft-locks were extremely demotivating. Overall though, Ori and the Will of the Wisps is a must-buy for anyone even the slightest bit interested, and we're confident that the stability problems can be patched in the future. This is a supremely enjoyable platform adventure which everyone should experience.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
A handful of more Switch reviews also went up today:
Fingerguns - 10/10
fingerguns.net

Ori and the Will of the Wisps (Switch) Review - The Perfect Port?

Ori returns to the Nintendo Switch and is practically perfect in every single way. The Finger Guns Review.

TheSixthAxis - 10/10
www.thesixthaxis.com

Ori and the Will of the Wisps Switch Review | TheSixthAxis

Where there's a will there's a way.

Looks nice!
7STGKXs.png

Oct 25, 2017
La Résistance Country

Can't stop myself from taking screenshots/clips while playing. The port is nothing short of amazing.

I've experienced my first crash, but that was from waking up the game from sleep mode. Didn't occur during normal gameplay yet.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

Can't stop myself from taking screenshots/clips while playing. The port is nothing short of amazing.

I've experienced my first crash, but that was from waking up the game from sleep mode. Didn't occur during normal gameplay yet.

Even with the concessions to make the port happen and hit 60fps, the game still looks great from what I've seen. I can't imagine it would be easy to spot the visuals changes, aside from resolution, without having seen the original release either. The alterations are definitely a worthy trade-off.

Not sure if the Switch reviews also bumped up the Opencritic page to 90, I know it was an 89 a while ago but nice to see as well:
bSf2CBn.png

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado USA
Beat the game on the Switch today. Outside of a few minor hiccups and a couple of crashes the game looks beautiful and controls wonderfully. One of the best gaming experiences of this generation for me. Hats off to Moon Studios.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I want to grab this, but can't shake the feeling it will be discounted for Black Friday. The first Ori dropped in September-ish and was on sale in late November of that same year.

Not to suggest that Moon Studios aren't magicians or that I don't think it's worth the money, just saying getting a few bucks off would be nice. My wallet aches after the PS5 and SX preorders. :(

Oct 25, 2017
This game man honestly

just got the
4 wisps
these areas are incredible the music is phenomenal and the abilities are so fucking fun

easily the most fun I've had with any game this year. EASILY

I'm so out of touch with the slew of cinematic third person movie games that come out these days I fall off them usually within a few hours so I'm so glad Games that hit with me like ori are still being made today

Technical analysis from VGTech:
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Technical analysis from VGTech:

The version tested on the Xbox One consoles was 1.0.5257.0 and the version tested on Switch was 1.1.0. Switch footage is from the game running in docked mode. The Xbox One X has a motion blur option which was disabled for this test.

Performance can vary so your experience may differ from what's shown here.

Xbox One X uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3072x1728 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2432x1368.

Xbox One S uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 1600x900 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 1080x630.

Switch in docked mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 1600x900 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 1040x640.

Switch in portable mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 1280x720 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 853x540.

On Switch image quality in parts of the background and foreground is often much worse than the rest of the frame with noticeable pixelation occurring in these areas. Image quality in these background and foreground areas also seems to adjust based on rendering load.

Performance can vary so your experience may differ from what's shown here.

oVbTS37.png

Kryptonic

Dec 14, 2018
USA
I never finished this game when it came out on pc game pass. Finally getting back to it with my new LG CX OLED paired with my 3080. My god this game is beautiful with HDR and OLED. 120fps 4K magnificent.

Jul 26, 2019
The Netherlands
There also a Digital Foundry deep dive into the port and the overall technical construction of Will of the Wisps.

There are some mid-late game content in the video though so keep that in mind if you haven't played WotW yet.

Fantastic deep dive; a really great watch with those insights! I played the game at release on my one S, and eventhough performance lacked a bit sometimes; I was in love with the game (just like Blind Forest).

This, however, immediatly seals the deal for getting the switch version.
Moon studios went above and beyond; amazing talent!
And if they can iron out those crashes people experience: *cheff's kiss*

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Beat the game on the Switch today. Outside of a few minor hiccups and a couple of crashes the game looks beautiful and controls wonderfully. One of the best gaming experiences of this generation for me. Hats off to Moon Studios.

Took the words right out of my mouth. This is basically how I feel. I was a bit discouraged because I had a run of 2-3 crashes near the end of the game but that's about the only major complaint I have.

So many great things - spectacular boss battles, exciting combat, wonderful environments, and a worthy ending.

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
Damn dude, this game has crashed three times during the intro alone, freezing up my whole Switch in the process and forcing me to do a hard reboot. I've never seen a game do that.

It's especially bad because now I have to go through the entire intro again.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Still no crashes mid-game on my end so far, aside from one software error when waking my Switch from sleep.

Gotta say though, the chase sequences are consistently my least favorite parts of both Ori games. The idea is cool, and the visuals stellar as always, but the timing is always far too tight for how busy the screen & events become.

It's often not clear where to go in the split-second that you have, so they end of being trial-and-error sequences rather than something you feel you can actually narrowly escape without a dozen attempts.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
It's often not clear where to go in the split-second that you have, so they end of being trial-and-error sequences rather than something you feel you can actually narrowly escape without a dozen attempts.

Thats going to be very subjective. Played on Hard and the only escape that took a bunch of attempts is the last one.
The first games escape sequences were way more trial and error imo

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Since posting, I've had crashes in the scenes after both the frog and spider bosses. Thankfully didn't lose progress after either one.