• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GreySquirrel

Oct 27, 2017
Glad I waited on the HDR PC patch. Looks amazing. Thought it was broken at first (text in menus dim) but there's a good amount of HDR sliders including one for the HUD/text of the menus which I tweaked slightly higher than default

Patch Notes for May 14th Update

City 17

Oct 25, 2017
Patch Release Notes

New Features

• HDR Support for PC (Windows 10 and a HDR compatible display required)
  • Improved HDR visuals on Xbox consoles (with new powerful HDR settings!)
  • Dynamic Resolution Scaling (enables the game to automatically lower its rendering resolution to achieve higher framerate when necessary)
  • FPS Limit (for those that prefer locked frame-rate experience with less frame-rate fluctuation at high refresh-rate)
  • Audio Output Device Selection (to specify the device used for sound output)
  • Speaker Type Selection (better configure audio panning and other features for headphones or speakers)
  • Sound API Selection (multiple sound api's available to help with potential sound hardware compatibility problems)
  • Turning Microsoft Spatial Audio On/Off (allows more control over the spatial audio for more immersive experience and audio troubleshooting for those having no audio output)

• Fine-tuned the Windtorn Ruins Escape Difficulty on Normal and Hard Mode
  • Fixed the 'missing Kwolok' issue
  • Fixed 'Fallen Friend' quest
  • Fixed issues with some NPCs disappearing from side quest locations
  • Fixed issues in Silent Woods connected to Ori's moveset getting limited
  • Several Quality of Life improvements have been added to the Spirit Smash, Burrow and Grapple mechanics
  • Improvements and fixes to various enemy behaviors
  • Improvements and fixes to the completion counter: Area completion is affected only by the collectibles and optional challenges present in the area and global completion is affected by area completion, completing all quests, owning every Spirit Shard, and learning all skills from Opher. No longer does simply uncovering parts of the map while exploring impact the completion % of the area, in the interest of not being stuck hunting down the last few nooks and crannies left that have no real significance to the experience
  • Map fixes: Issues related to displaying icons on the map, fixing map alignment with the world, added ability tree icons to the map, added "complete" state to spirit trial icons
  • Numerous adjustments and additions to improve understanding of unlocking, engaging with and completing Spirit Trials
  • Small enemy distribution adjustments to Luma Pools and Mouldwood Depths post boss battles

Technical Improvements

• Further improved Performance and Stability on both PC and Xbox One family consoles
  • Fixed the 'crashing on start' issues
  • Fixed the outstanding problems with achievements not being granted
  • Fixed various potential sources of compatibility issues rooted in audio hardware and drivers
  • Improvements to reduce pixel aliasing and improve image quality in a variety of scenes
  • Issues concerning the Spirit Trials Leaderboards were fixed

Additional Fixes

• Fixed bugs with certain resolutions not displaying properly
  • Fixed invincibility after obtaining Seir
  • Fixed 'Flash ability effect lingering' issues
  • Fixed issues concerning skipping cutscenes
  • Fixed issues concerning players sometimes not receiving quest rewards
  • Improvements to localization
  • Fixed issues related to Backup Saves
  • Fixed button prompt issues
  • Fixed soft locks in The Wellspring
  • Fixed a number of asset pops and loading issues
  • Fixed a number of motion blur issues
  • Improvements to the Warp Mechanic
  • Map: Added quest list to the "All" filter
  • Fixed vitality shard having no effect while swap shard is equipped
  • Fixed Spirit Smash and Spike descriptors
  • Swapped default equipment assignment in Ku gameplay section to clarify the available moveset
  • Minor adjustment to Wellspring Spirit Trial to prevent players from skipping a majority of the trial in an unintended way
  • Added collapsing walls on the left and right of Mora's first arena to prevent players from staying on the walls indefinitely once the escape portion has begun
  • After completing the 'Hand to Hand' quest, the purchasable map icon upgrades in Lupo's shop are considered purchased to prevent players from wasting Spirit Light unintentionally
  • Fixed issue where small respawnable collectible orbs in water or sand would become unable to be collected on respawn
  • Fixed undiscovered Spirit Well being activated on purchase of Windswept Wastes area map
  • Out of bounds fix for Shriek boss battle

Seems to be a big one, btw I saw the trading cards suddenly appearing in my inventory. Must be due to the new patch.

GennadiyKorol

Lead Engineer at Moon Studios
Verified
Aug 19, 2019
Glad to hear DRS is working as expected - it's the best balance of image quality and performance :)

Happy to see that people like the HDR improvements - some defaults might be off if you had a previous save file and the look varies very strongly from device to device so we've tried to expose the min number of sliders so that everyone can get their image to be how they like it.

Having the image more "saturated" compared to SDR is normal, we're just able to push the color a lot more thanks to the wide gamut, something that wasn't possible before. It is going to look more vibrant and colorful than SDR but it's not a saturation burn, you just see more color :)
I personally don't like when games have this very grey and washed look in HDR and aren't fully pushing the capability of their TV / Monitors.

Big shutout to EvilBoris for all of the help and feedback on the HDR work on this patch - it's been absolutely invaluable and a huge help!

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Glad to hear DRS is working as expected - it's the best balance of image quality and performance :)

Happy to see that people like the HDR improvements - some defaults might be off if you had a previous save file and the look varies very strongly from device to device so we've tried to expose the min number of sliders so that everyone can get their image to be how they like it.

Having the image more "saturated" compared to SDR is normal, we're just able to push the color a lot more thanks to the wide gamut, something that wasn't possible before. It is going to look more vibrant and colorful than SDR but it's not a saturation burn, you just see more color :)
I personally don't like when games have this very grey and washed look in HDR and aren't fully pushing the capability of their TV / Monitors.

Big shutout to EvilBoris for all of the help and feedback on the HDR work on this patch - it's been absolutely invaluable and a huge help!

It's been a pleasure!
I hope it all works as it should out in the hands of players.

Nov 1, 2017
It's been a pleasure!
I hope it all works as it should out in the hands of players.

The game looks pretty fantastic with this new patch and also noticed it running more smoothly. I really enjoyed my time with the game but i must admit i havent played it since i beat the game due to the various technical issues. Looking forward to getting stuck back in but i'm rubbish at calibrating my HDR settings. Don't suppose you could give us some pointers on some good settings to use for that old faithful of HDR TV's the LG OLED B7?

HDR tips

GennadiyKorol

Lead Engineer at Moon Studios
Verified
Aug 19, 2019
The game looks pretty fantastic with this new patch and also noticed it running more smoothly. I really enjoyed my time with the game but i must admit i havent played it since i beat the game due to the various technical issues. Looking forward to getting stuck back in but i'm rubbish at calibrating my HDR settings. Don't suppose you could give us some pointers on some good settings to use for that old faithful of HDR TV's the LG OLED B7?

Calibration will greatly depend on the TV mode you're using and the settings as well as viewing conditions.

First I'd wiggle the sliders just to make sure no previous values lingered (if you're playing on Xbox) from previous versions.
Then I'd start with tweaking the base brightness and finding the lowest value where you feel that the game isn't too dark for your viewing situation.
The lower you can keep it the more "juice" your TV will have for the brighter spots so the overall HDR effect will be more impressive.

Then you can play with the contrast and see what you like. This is what will give the game more "pop". Some people prefer it more to the left from the default value but it all depends on what kind of HDR image you're going for. I personally like it around-ish the default or slightly under, but pushing it too much to the left could flatten things out. Values below 1 might show more detail in some cases but will lose a lot of "bite" with things like combat and brightest highlights on the water, sunrays, etc.

Then I'd adjust the UI brightness so that the HUD and the text would be nicely readable for you and not too bright where it's uncomfortable.

The other settings should be pretty good at their defaults but you can play with the Richness depending on how much your TV is saturating the colors by itself. The game should look a lot "richer" than it is in HDR thanks to the expanded color gamut.

The Shadow Detail can be left at default, if you prefer more inky blacks you can try nudging it to the left or if you feel that you're not seeing enough detail in the shadows you can push it to the right and see what you like best.

It's best to adjust the settings while in game and not during the title screen, it is not the best place to "calibrate" things - it's always best to be able to see Ori, the HUD, etc.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
Calibration will greatly depend on the TV mode you're using and the settings as well as viewing conditions.

First I'd wiggle the sliders just to make sure no previous values lingered (if you're playing on Xbox) from previous versions.
Then I'd start with tweaking the base brightness and finding the lowest value where you feel that the game isn't too dark for your viewing situation.
The lower you can keep it the more "juice" your TV will have for the brighter spots so the overall HDR effect will be more impressive.

Then you can play with the contrast and see what you like. This is what will give the game more "pop". Some people prefer it more to the left from the default value but it all depends on what kind of HDR image you're going for. I personally like it around-ish the default or slightly under, but pushing it too much to the left could flatten things out. Values below 1 might show more detail in some cases but will lose a lot of "bite" with things like combat and brightest highlights on the water, sunrays, etc.

Then I'd adjust the UI brightness so that the HUD and the text would be nicely readable for you and not too bright where it's uncomfortable.

The other settings should be pretty good at their defaults but you can play with the Richness depending on how much your TV is saturating the colors by itself. The game should look a lot "richer" than it is in HDR thanks to the expanded color gamut.

The Shadow Detail can be left at default, if you prefer more inky blacks you can try nudging it to the left or if you feel that you're not seeing enough detail in the shadows you can push it to the right and see what you like best.

It's best to adjust the settings while in game and not during the title screen, it is not the best place to "calibrate" things - it's always best to be able to see Ori, the HUD, etc.

Thank you, this was really useful. Had a good play around with the settings and the game looks even more beautiful than before which is quite impressive really. I managed to get all the achievements on both the original Ori and the Definitive Edition of that game. Time to do the same for Will of the Wisps (or fail miserably but still have a good time trying)...

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017

Yes, thanks to everyone for the latest patch. I am in awe of how much more amazing this already gorgeous game looks on my 4K TV!

gr0w

Oct 28, 2017
Just watched the Gamersyde HDR video, my god that looks gorgeous!
Going for a 2nd playthrough on PC, hope I can get pc HDR to work with my TV, never managed to get any good results in the past.

trembli0s

Oct 28, 2017
Finally played this earlier in the week on GamePass. Kudos to Moon Studios on an incredible achievement and a magnificent game. This is one of the rare games where I completed 100% and stopped to think about the emotional impact. I will come back around for another play through at a different point but I just wanted to sit, think, and appreciate the game before playing again. It might have to wait until I upgrade to an HDR monitor with good framerate just so I can have that experience.

I do not think I could have been anymore gutted by how Shriek curled up under the wings of her petrified parents after spurning the chance to join Ori. I am seeing some disappointment on reddit and the internet over that choice but I think it was incredibly well-handled. That was a bigger gut-punch for me then anything in Blind Forest and WoTW.

Also, a huge shout out to whoever decided to incorporate the Moki family quest and wrote it out. I literally had to stop playing the game for a good 15 minutes while I thought on the outcome. The artwork/positioning of the Father Moki was absolutely heart-breaking but incredibly touching. The ending is also fantastically bitter-sweet but I thought it was handled well overall.

I am a little sad that this will likely be the last entry in the IP for some time but will keep an eye on anything Moon Studios puts out. Also, hammer gang is best gang.

Ion Stream

Oct 31, 2017
Got a grown man crying at 1am in the morning upon completion. Just had to drop in here to say what a wonderful sequel this was. And the ending was perfectly bittersweet.

Looking forward to what Moon Studio's are up to next. Both Ori's have been a joy to play for me and will have a long-lasting impact, particularly the music.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
I finally started this game friday, and just finished it... what a game! The first one was one of my GOATs, but this sequel improves on everything. The traversal is just so much fun, especially with the powerups you get as you progress into the game. I liked that there were sidequests this time, and the base-building aspect was really fun. I felt like the chase sequences were much more fair than in the first game, I remember spending countless hours on the escape from the tree, but I succeeded in this with every one of them in a few tries. The game is also probably the most beautiful game I've played, and the music is fantastic.

It's not perfect though. I think the combat is still lacking a lot, I played on normal and got through easily by just spamming the basic attack. There are a lot of attacks, but you don't really use them, because your slots are usually taken up by movement abilities, and switching mid-combat is not really that fun.

The ending was great though, but I felt kinda sad that it closed the door on a sequel. Looking forward to what Moon studios does next anyway!

Jan 10, 2018
Started this a day ago and I just reached the sand area. I'm not sure why the game took so long to present a unique area. When I first started playing I thought I was playing the first one so I had to tab out to chech if it was the sequel or not. The forest environment is very beautiful but having seen it for the entirity of the first game I was a bit tired of it. I'm also annoyed that they still haven't made combat more visually understandable. It's way too cluttered with bloom, special effects and the character model is a bit too small.

Other than that the game is great. I like how it's more about movement than combat scenarios and puzzles. It sets it apart from other games in the genre.

Grazzt

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I'm about to meet the final boss, but I'm currently collecting stuff. In the inventory page I'm missing two missions on the bottom left, can someone help me identify what am I missing? They are the inner column on the bottom left

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
That's a good amount of Ori on the Steam best sellers list:
yqkji4h.png

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Discounted on Xbox One and Win 10 as well:

Ori and the Will of the Wisps | Xbox

Discover Ori’s true destiny Embark on a journey in a vast, exotic world where you’ll encounter towering enemies and challenging puzzles on your quest, in the must-play sequel, fully optimized for Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S. The little spirit Ori is no stranger to peril, but when a fateful...

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I finally hit the milestone in a personal project I was using Will of the Wisps as motivation to finish. I was only an hour or so in when I hit the save issues that had me put the game down for some updates, so this is my first time seeing the dynamic HUD option.

DNVNYbl.gif

Not having any UI trying to draw my eye while platforming is a real treat. There's an oddly surreal feeling to it, almost like playing one of those concept videos of a game. I wish more 2D titles would have this option.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
A nice advantage to playing this late is having a meaty friends leaderboard to tackle for the race challenges. They're a lot more fun than I was expecting!

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Still trying to pace my playtime so I don't marathon it over a weekend but boy is it hard to pull myself away from the game. Was almost 1am before I clued in that I should really go to bed last night haha.

I was also poking through some screenshots on my usb drive when I saw this clip...
6UvxyEJ.gif

At least I can say it was a memorable side quest.

Last edited:

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Still trying to pace my playtime so I don't marathon it over a weekend but boy is it hard to pull myself away from the game. Was almost 1am before I clued in that I should really go to bed last night haha.

I was also poking through some screenshots on my usb drive when I saw this clip...
6UvxyEJ.gif

At least I can say it was a memorable side quest.
I appreciate all the gifs! Continuing to think back on this game... really brilliant.

ShinAmano

Oct 30, 2017
just finished it...so good. The ending is brutal.

Also seems I found a glitch...i maxed energy but and got the achievement...but it says I am missing one...so stuck at 99% :(

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
That ending has me rattled; it really got me.

I feel exhausted.
Am I the only one who felt more gutted/sad at Shriek's end than Ori's?

I mean I hate Shriek for what she did to my owl friend of course and that was a gut punch... buuuuuut seeing her origin story, how her parents died and how she was just rejected and loathed just for how she was born from day 1, and having been miserable and unhappy and sad and lonely her whole life, and ending up just curling down in that dark hole was just the most tragic goddamn thing.

;__;

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one who felt more gutted/sad at Shriek's end than Ori's?

I mean I hate Shriek for what she did to my owl friend of course and that was a gut punch... buuuuuut seeing her origin story, how her parents died and how she was just rejected and loathed just for how she was born from day 1, and having been miserable and unhappy and sad and lonely her whole life, and ending up just curling down in that dark hole was just the most tragic goddamn thing.

;__;

Shriek's history making her unable to accept that one act of kindness for what it was, and instead continuing to see Ori as a threat was a real downer. Peeling away the layers of decay during the fight, seeing the blue feathers underneath—driving the connection to that other orphaned owl you know of—and then that final scene...it's a doozy for sure.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Shriek's history making her unable to accept that one act of kindness for what it was, and instead continuing to see Ori as a threat was a real downer. Peeling away the layers of decay during the fight, seeing the blue feathers underneath—driving the connection to that other orphaned owl you know of—and then that final scene...it's a doozy for sure.

The idea behind her was that we first showed her committing some unredeemable action... For the longest time in development, Shriek actually killed Ku in that moment. That was it, at that point, Ori's journey became about Ori doing all these things for her. We changed that fairly late in development after seeing the reactions of playtesters. Ku dying in that moment turned into an insanely heavy gut punch that made people want to stop the game right there. It was a super difficult decision internally for us to change the story and to soften the blow, but we did it because we ultimately wanted people to complete their journey instead of being so devastated that they couldn't finish the game after that moment.

The idea for Shriek was to point a light at bullying and show what could happen with people that are never shown any sort of compassion. At some point she was just too far gone due to her being shunned by everyone just because of her appearance and her funny walk on her stilted legs, etc. Hate is nurture, not nature - And we all sow those seeds and should be aware of what might happen to people that are being treated in this sorta way. And yeah, Ku also growing up with a disability, but growing up in the opposite way, with a family that loved and supported her wasn't an accident. We wanted to basically shows both sides of that story.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
The idea behind her was that we first showed her committing some unredeemable action... For the longest time in development, Shriek actually killed Ku in that moment. That was it, at that point, Ori's journey became about Ori doing all these things for her. We changed that fairly late in development after seeing the reactions of playtesters. Ku dying in that moment turned into an insanely heavy gut punch that made people want to stop the game right there. It was a super difficult decision internally for us to change the story and to soften the blow, but we did it because we ultimately wanted people to complete their journey instead of being so devastated that they couldn't finish the game after that moment.

The idea for Shriek was to point a light at bullying and show what could happen with people that are never shown any sort of compassion. At some point she was just too far gone due to her being shunned by everyone just because of her appearance and her funny walk on her stilted legs, etc. Hate is nurture, not nature - And we all sow those seeds and should be aware of what might happen to people that are being treated in this sorta way. And yeah, Ku also growing up with a disability, but growing up in the opposite way, with a family that loved and supported her wasn't an accident. We wanted to basically shows both sides of that story.

Yeah, that's what made Shriek's pursuit of you at the end really sting. Like the game states, she just couldn't accept that gesture of warmth even after desiring it for so long. Now I wonder how that act of mercy would have felt without knowing that Ku could be saved, that there wasn't even a redemptive path for Shriek to shun in the end.

Though I'm pretty surprised to hear about Ku's death, that personal stake of healing her felt important for everything after the first act. I don't know if the overall ending changed from that point, but the game drawing a definitive curtain over 3/4 of the Nibel cast would've been a shock. I already thought the tree ascension was going to happen in The Blind Forest since Sein explained how the trees you gained abilities from were fallen Spirits, so that wasn't unexpected (but still a gut punch) to see happen here—but not having Ku's revival to tip the scales back before the final montage would have been brutal.

And yeah, the parallels between the two owls definitely stood out while playing. Even their eggs were touched by opposing forces (life/decay) going off of Ori's interaction with Ku's egg when they discovered it in The Blind Forest. Expanding on that, there were a lot of links between the games that I loved: you have musical callbacks for moments like Ori's tree sprouting (in line with their previous resurrection) and visual touches like Ori's tree "holding" Naru up in the end. You folk have a wonderful mind for detail.

0wvrTin.png

That last one got me.

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
The AMA confirms that
Shriek dies. It was a bit ambiguous, I was hoping she was just curling up to sleep but goddamn this is heartbreaking

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
The AMA confirms that
Shriek dies. It was a bit ambiguous, I was hoping she was just curling up to sleep but goddamn this is heartbreaking

I hadn't even considered the ambiguity there until I saw the question, then the answer immediately crushed the thought.

There are some good bits of info in the AMA; nice to see folk being pretty transparent about the design process.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
Can anyone help? I'm stuck in Baur's Reach - how do I get into this section? I try chucking the light thing up and using that to boost me but find it impossible because the platform disappears fast so can't get a clean throw.

ibb.co

ori2 hosted at ImgBB

Image ori2 hosted in ImgBB

ibb.co

ori1 hosted at ImgBB

Image ori1 hosted in ImgBB

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Can anyone help? I'm stuck in Baur's Reach - how do I get into this section? I try chucking the light thing up and using that to boost me but find it impossible because the platform disappears fast so can't get a clean throw.

ibb.co

ori2 hosted at ImgBB

Image ori2 hosted in ImgBB

ibb.co

ori1 hosted at ImgBB

Image ori1 hosted in ImgBB
You need another ability from later in the game from the sand area.

voodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry to be a pain - I have that ability already? I can get in the area in the picture - I just can't jump any higher?

While it does become easier with a late game ability, you can still do it by
dashing through those snow platforms, rather than just trying to land and jump off them. Even though they are long and thin, it works the same way as balls of sand, and will give you the height increase needed