• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Ori is gorgeous and fun but it sucks not being able to get decent performance @1080p from an i7 4790k with a 980Ti. Got to the
desert
and shit is just bad.
I have the same setup and it was smooth sailing for me at 1440p. Some combat scenarios would yield framerate hits, but it was never not decent. Desert was fine, as was the boss chase. 1X however, was almost unplayable at times for me because of the pauses and massive hits to performance.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Just beat the game , final thoughts are for X1 original version so for PC might be much better experience.

Overall a bit dissapointed with this game. Its easily a 9/10 or 10/10 game but the Xbox version is really bad that leave it as best 7/10

Positives: Music is still great, when the game is flowing the platforming and mini puzzles to progress are well done. Luma Pool theme is phenominal

Cons: Game ran aweful to the point it really hindered my experience. When the game would fully stutter or come to a complete freeze it pulls you out of the flow and it pulls you out of any emotion they are trying to convey (Especially since it happened during one of the more sadder cutscenes). Even post patch beat the final boss, cutscene plays and then the game throws me back to the boss area then screen goes black and I am now below where you fight final boss, climb back up and have to refight boss all over again. It really puts you in the wrong headspace when you enter an emotional cutscene frustrated versus feeling happy or relieved beating a battle. The art was a letdown for the Xbox version with majority of the game blury or fuzzy. Even Microsoft & Moon logo where blurry when loading the game up as well as the credits. I do wish they would of got rid of the chase scenes as it was one of the few negatives from the 1st game but that's only a minor complaint. The main way of fighting bosses shooting them back with their projectiles is a cool concept but it did break the flow as you are essentially slowing the game to a crawl multiple times in a row.

In a few years on a PC or a fixed console version I would love to see the game running at its full potential because taking away some huge technical issues the game for the most part is good to great. As it stands though for the time being I wont remember this game like I remember the first game

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Just went for 100% and am road-blocked by a legit bug. This isn't just a find a tiny corner of the map that you didn't explore issue (which is really dumb since the map itself doesn't lend itself well to seeing unexplored pixels...). Anyway it's in Willow's End where the bottom right heart is. The sequence goes something like, destroy the heart, big rocks fall, you race them down and go into a portal that puts you next to a life pod and a barrier to break and backtrack. Well I somehow didn't beat the rock, survived, and was able to backtrack but I now have no way of getting to this part of the map. Thankfully there were no collectibles there but my save file is permanently stuck at 99% now ):

Can't get where the cursor is hovering over:

2UqomXH.png

Also really random that I had no idea regenerate was an ability until I realized I was missing an ability and didn't have that achievement unlock yet. Disappointing that is such an easy one to miss that would have been immensely helpful lol.

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
The number of escape/chase sequences in this game is really starting to bug me. First game was a bit more reserved and so each one felt meaningful, challenging, and special. Now, it's like they tack one onto every single boss fight and they end up just being an annoyance.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Any word on what would be in the next patch at least for pc/steam?
I want to get back into the game next week but still jave the bug where game audio is VERY low even when ingame settings are on highest
I already emailed them my dxdiag data and such
So hopefully they can comment on what is causing it since i need to raise my own volume option a lot to hear the games music xo

voodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Any word on what would be in the next patch at least for pc/steam?
I want to get back into the game next week but still jave the bug where game audio is VERY low even when ingame settings are on highest
I already emailed them my dxdiag data and such
So hopefully they can comment on what is causing it since i need to raise my own volume option a lot to hear the games music xo

Only thing I remember reading about is improving HDR support as a highlight, though no timelines obviously. About the sound, it seemed ok for me, though I'm on a 2.1 sound setup so only get quiet audio if the audio is heavily mixed for surround sound setups.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Just went for 100% and am road-blocked by a legit bug. This isn't just a find a tiny corner of the map that you didn't explore issue (which is really dumb since the map itself doesn't lend itself well to seeing unexplored pixels...). Anyway it's in Willow's End where the bottom right heart is. The sequence goes something like, destroy the heart, big rocks fall, you race them down and go into a portal that puts you next to a life pod and a barrier to break and backtrack. Well I somehow didn't beat the rock, survived, and was able to backtrack but I now have no way of getting to this part of the map. Thankfully there were no collectibles there but my save file is permanently stuck at 99% now ):

Can't get where the cursor is hovering over:

2UqomXH.png

Also really random that I had no idea regenerate was an ability until I realized I was missing an ability and didn't have that achievement unlock yet. Disappointing that is such an easy one to miss that would have been immensely helpful lol.

That was the last thing I had to reach 100% too. I did it after beating the game so there is a way to get in there. You get to it from the bottom, either through a portal or bash jumping around the portal.

Fintendo

Jun 5, 2019
Finally beat the game at 94%! Absoutely amazing game and was much better than the original in terms of graphics, audiovisual design and combat. The animations were so expressive and really evoked some emotions out of me! The only flaws were some frame drops in the desert (I have GTX 1050 Ti) and overuse of chase sequences for the bosses. On to the Outer Wilds next!

Tommyguns

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
After hearing all the talk about the worm-I can happily say I beat it in just 2 attempts. Wasn't that bad of a chase at all.

I now am on the final boss of the game, and this is giving me some issues haha

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Worm was harder, because of the controls. Final fight was actually pretty easy.

so, what was that leaf thing at the end? Any chance for ori 3?

voodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Worm was harder, because of the controls. Final fight was actually pretty easy.

so, what was that leaf thing at the end? Any chance for ori 3?

While it's a direct callback to the start of Ori 1, I took it as an emphasis on how the cycle would still continue, though not necessarily with Ori. Haven't heard anything about a third Ori, though I understand Moon Studios were looking at doing something new.

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
Have the devs mentioned another potential patch, recently? I'm early on and I was in this one spot the game literally went sub-10 for like 10 seconds and the audio was all duplicated and roboty. Game is amazing but coming off Ori 1 I was hoping for better.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Is HDR coming soon? I have a new HDR enabled TV that i would REALLY love to see this game on. Im probably going to end up holding off playing it until it gets patched in.

Details on HDR and the next update

GennadiyKorol

Lead Engineer at Moon Studios
Verified
Aug 19, 2019
We're working on HDR and tweaking lots of things as we speak, hopefully could get an open beta out this week on Steam for folks to try it out.

That being said we're not aware of extremely bad performance like "sub 10 for 10 seconds", that's simply not anything we've ever seen in testing or heard reports of - so if anyone has that after the most recent patch please DM me with more details if you can.

That being said #2 more good performance optimizations are coming in yet another patch as our team is still hard at work until the game is silky smooth everywhere for as many people as we can. PC will get Dynamic Resolution Scaling with target FPS to help even out the frame-rate for those with weaker GPUs or those targeting high refresh rate.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
We're working on HDR and tweaking lots of things as we speak, hopefully could get an open beta out this week on Steam for folks to try it out.

That being said we're not aware of extremely bad performance like "sub 10 for 10 seconds", that's simply not anything we've ever seen in testing or heard reports of - so if anyone has that after the most recent patch please DM me with more details if you can.

That being said #2 more good performance optimizations are coming in yet another patch as our team is still hard at work until the game is silky smooth everywhere for as many people as we can. PC will get Dynamic Resolution Scaling with target FPS to help even out the frame-rate for those with weaker GPUs or those targeting high refresh rate.

Good to hear, thanks for the update.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

Hopefully this will be the patch to get this game is a good state. Been waiting since launch to start, really hope it'll get to a good place before next gen.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished this. OMG what a game. I wasn't all that into it at first but they tied it all up nicely by the end. Favorite game of the year.

Surprised to see the achievement stats...
18% finished the boss fight, 7% finished the game. Why the big drop off at that point?

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Just finished this. OMG what a game. I wasn't all that into it at first but they tied it all up nicely by the end. Favorite game of the year.

Surprised to see the achievement stats...
18% finished the boss fight, 7% finished the game. Why the big drop off at that point?
There was a bug affecting the final achievement, and post patch you need to rewatch the ending again for it to trigger, a lot of players probably didn't bother with it.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
There was a bug affecting the final achievement, and post patch you need to rewatch the ending again for it to trigger, a lot of players probably didn't bother with it.
Ah okay that makes sense. I thought people dropped it
when Ori was lying at the ground after the fight, would've been a heart-breaking ending.

Played it from start to finish with my kids beside me. They loved it too but my daughter could barely stop crying 😭 Moon is masters at pulling the emotional strings! And it really shows that there are a bunch of parents in the team. While I'm devastated that they aren't working on another Ori I still can't wait to play their next game.

Oct 25, 2017
Started playing this on XB1X last night, and had a jarring experience with the framerate. Is it this bad the whole game? Are there any patches I'm missing?

voodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Quick update: played a few more hours last night. Didn't encounter any other performance issues. Hopefully that was just a fluke.

Also, really enjoying the game. It's freaking beautiful!

CKT

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 1, 2020
Such a fun game, beat it just now. apparently 7.62% of gamers have beaten it, shame. Didn't keep track of time but seems about 15 hours and I got 97% complete at the end.

Story stuff:
So sad to see Ori join with the light and form the new tree, it was good to see Gummo and Naru living near Ori though and raising Ku up to be a full grown owl. I was really hoping to get one more game which focused more on Ku but she's too big now to be a traditional protag in these games :p Same with Kowlok, beautiful frog taken down by the corruption.

They never do seem to explain what kind of bird Shriek is, were her wings like that due to the decay which took her people, or was that just natural for them? And what was with that second egg in her SAD flashback?

Overall very sad game :(

Gameplay felt great, the desert area gave me the most struggle, I prefer dpad on these games but you basically have to use the analog stick for the swimming and desert sand areas. Not sure how they can fix the Dpad controls in the sand but it would be appreciated.

I also hoped we would get more interesting uses of Ori/Ku together like in the beginning and the halfway point. Felt more like a hindrance than cohesion as they worked together, which the box art makes you think they would be working together the majority of the game?

And my god, the Luma Pools have to have the best music and be the most beautiful areas of these games so far. Love it so much.

Anyways I loved Ori and the Blind Forest, and I loved Will of the Wisps. Easily the best metroidvanias of this gen. Can't wait to see what Moon Studios brings us next :)

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I think I'm stuck, and can't figure something out. I'm in the Silent Woods hiding from Shriek in the feeding grounds area. I can get to a part where I'm grappled up a ceiling, then I see the gust of air, but there's nowhere for me to go before Shriek kills me. Any hints?

EDIT: lol nevermind, I had to hide behind a tarp.

Oct 25, 2017

im only one of many users/players i understand that, but i did buy this game day 1 with the expecation that hdr would be in as per the pre release material marketing. ive been waiting for this so much and would love to play the way it was expected on my OLED tv. Cant wait for this update. Ori ATBF is one of my fav of all time.

Hwoar

Dec 16, 2017
im only one of many users/players i understand that, but i did buy this game day 1 with the expecation that hdr would be in as per the pre release material marketing. ive been waiting for this so much and would love to play the way it was expected on my OLED tv. Cant wait for this update. Ori ATBF is one of my fav of all time.

I don't want to start it without HDR either. I hope it's still 'soon'.

Steam beta for HDR and additional performance options on PC

GennadiyKorol

Verified
Aug 19, 2019
We have just rolled out the Open Beta for our next big patch on Steam, which includes PC HDR support.
If any of you would like to participate to give us early feedback we would absolutely love to hear your thoughts!

steamcommunity.com

New Patch Open Beta! :: Ori and the Will of the Wisps General Discussions

Dear Ori Fans, We’d like to thank all of you for the heart warming words of support, constructive feedback and patience as we keep improving the game and addressing the issues some of you have encountered. Our team has been very hard at work and we are extremely excited to be releasing our next...

This patch also adds an FPS limiter and Dynamic Resolution Scaling on PC and a bunch of new Audio settings.

On Xbox HDR is also getting a big additional boost to have better controls and even more color gamut/dynamic range pop.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
So covid really threw a loop in my plans to play this game, but I've finally been able to return and I'm onto the final section now. I am just constantly blown away at how beautiful and smartly designed this game is. The music and art direction is breathtaking at every corner, the new abilities learned along the way are fun as hell and are complemented by smart puzzle design, and even the story is keeping me moving along.

It's just so we'll executed from top to bottom. Still have a bit left to go but I'm so damn happy that Moon took the time they needed to really put together a huge and worthy successor to the first game. I hope it's been a success for them - planning on buying a digital copy once I wrap up as I've been playing via Game Pass.

Also any word on an art book?

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
I finally started it a few days ago and I'm hooked. It's gorgeous and so much fun. A tad too difficult at times, but like the first game I feel it's fair most of the time and rewarding.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
So I finished the game (amazing!) but the credits didn't roll for me and when I went back to the main menu I still have the final boss as a mission to complete with only 97% of the final area. Uhhh is that normal?

Edit: Sounds like it is! Found a Steam thread about it. So from here I can continue to roam around the map as normal, and the final quest doesn't need to be done again to 100%

Overall, what a game. Ori 1 quickly became one of my favorites of all time and I truly think this surpasses it in just about every way. A monument leap in scope, an incredible art style and soundtrack, totally revamped gameplay that was complemented with great puzzles throughout, and just a beautifully told story. HUGE credit to the entire team at Moon, y'all are a talented bunch of folks and we are lucky to have this game. Just bought a copy as I played through Game Pass originally. Cheers!

Any plans for a Series X upgrade?

Last edited:

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, the boss fight in Luma Pools has officially knocked off a point for the game for me. It has so many random, far reaching, fast attacks with next to no telegraphing that it just feels unfair. Did they build this shit for the Hollow Knight fans? I'm not one of them.

Edit: Figured out which Sharda to use. Wish the game trained me better to prepare for this. I feel like the boss fights and chase sequences feel like they are making me do things I haven't built up to. Eh.

Edit 2: Finished it 100%. I loved it, but there are things about it I don't like and will prevent me from playing it again. Thinking it's a 9/10. The chase sequences and boss fights are just a tad too demanding. I had a friend watching and he he was turned off by how difficult they were and said he would never have the patience for it. Seeing the percentage of people who completed it I can't help but imagine there are a lot of folks who just feel too discouraged or simply not skilled enough to enjoy themselves.

As for the ending, my gosh did I cry.

I really wanted Shriek to have a good ending. What happened to her was not fair and just so sad. She wasn't inherently evil, just had an unfortunate life due to not having parents and rejection from others. No sense of belonging or love. I was really hoping for a scenario where her stone heart changed and she got a second chance to feel love.

Last edited:

disgraciau

Oct 27, 2017
Ibiza, Balearic Islands, Spain
I'm testing the new beta patch. I really like the new settings, dynamic resolution is pretty cool.

But for some reason there's an spot where i'll never reach 120 FPS, doesn't matter how much I lower the settings. I'll post it in spoiler since it's a plot related spot:

1057090_2020051013245o8kqp.png

1057090_2020051013325s7jkb.png

Even at a ridiculous resolution as 640x480 with everything scaled down to 50% it still rejects to run at more than 93-94 FPS:

1057090_2020051013291jokla.png

Graphics card is a RTX 2070 and CPU is AMD Ryzen 5 1600.

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I just beat Blind Forest at around 80%, I enjoyed it but the checkpoint system is a bit annoying, kind of stopped me from exploring more, I would often did because I forgot to set a soul link.

I also found some of the enemies a bit annoying to deal with and the platforming a bit trial and error. I'll play the sequel regardless but does any of that get remedied? I loved the overall gameplay, it's super fluid.

Jul 26, 2019
The Netherlands
I finally finnished the game earlier this week. Incredible experience again (despite the technical hiccups; I played on X one S).

Overall an even better experience than Blind Forest (which I list as my top 5 best of all time). Bigger, better combat and even better platforming in my opinion. Also, I really liked the bosses, especially those which combine escape scènes with the combat. Beautiful ending too. like expected..!
When I finnished the story, I actually wasn't done with the game; I was not ready to leave the world. So went back across the whole map to do some more sidequests and find some more orbs. I think I eventually stopped at around 95% completion overall.

I have to think about it's place in my top 10 of all time. I don't think it ends up higher than Blind Forest, jus because of the 'first game specialness'.

Eitherway: Moon, thank you so much for another once in a lifetime experience; I fucking love it!

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
We have just rolled out the Open Beta for our next big patch on Steam, which includes PC HDR support.
If any of you would like to participate to give us early feedback we would absolutely love to hear your thoughts!

steamcommunity.com

New Patch Open Beta! :: Ori and the Will of the Wisps General Discussions

Dear Ori Fans, We’d like to thank all of you for the heart warming words of support, constructive feedback and patience as we keep improving the game and addressing the issues some of you have encountered. Our team has been very hard at work and we are extremely excited to be releasing our next...

This patch also adds an FPS limiter and Dynamic Resolution Scaling on PC and a bunch of new Audio settings.

On Xbox HDR is also getting a big additional boost to have better controls and even more color gamut/dynamic range pop.
I haven't found an answer to this yet, but does the PC version also support Dolby Atmos?

Also, thanks to you and everyone else working on continuing improvements. I've thankfully been pre-occupied with other games, but I am absolutely looking forward to having time with Will of the Wisps after (hopefully) this next round of patches.

New update released

GennadiyKorol

Verified
Aug 19, 2019
I haven't found an answer to this yet, but does the PC version also support Dolby Atmos?

Yep. With the new patch you just need to make sure Windows Spatial sound is on in the Audio settings. Prior to the new patch it's on by default so it should just work.

The new patch is about to land any moment on all platforms and I hope you all will really enjoy the new changes and improvements! If you have an HDR setup you should be in for a very nice upgrade :)

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Yep. With the new patch you just need to make sure Windows Spatial sound is on in the Audio settings. Prior to the new patch it's on by default so it should just work.

The new patch is about to land any moment on all platforms and I hope you all will really enjoy the new changes and improvements! If you have an HDR setup you should be in for a very nice upgrade :)
Yesssss, looking forward to this. Fingers crossed this patch is the one.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017

Will have to check out the updated HDR, appreciate the team continuing to iron out bugs and make improvements! Hope y'all take some well deserved rest before jumping into whatever's next.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas

Holy moly 13GB for microsoft store version! Very excited though!

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I really really like that I can combine Dynamic Resolution Scaling with Resolution Scale, basically meaning I can put resolution scale at 200% which would normally lower my framerate too much, but the Dynamic Resolution Scaler will kick in and pick the exact resolution for the frame rate I'm looking for, which is higher than my 100% resolution scale, because I do have headroom. Basically a prettier game while sticking to butter smooth 144 fps!

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
The HDR looks fantastic too! Had to turn HDR color richness down to 0.75, otherwise the game is way more orange/red than SDR, but wow some of this locations really look magnificent.