• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game at 17 hours on Normal. I've completed 80%

Man, what a game. I'm not sure what game can top this in terms of the aesthetics. Just insanely beautiful. I'm really glad I played it even though I'm generally not a fan of 2D Metroidvanias/platformers. I thought it had just the right amount of challenge without being too challenging.

It also ran really smooth on my mediocre PC on an HDD. Only annoying thing was the sound buzzing at times

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Does hard mode change the respawn system and cut out boss checkpoints? Because I feel like the game is really lacking any meaningful consequence for dying. Is that different on hard?

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Beautiful game, just completed it at 10 1/2 hours, 90% on Normal. It's totally a solid 9/10 in my book. I love how the game play felt, loved how it looked throughout, loved the music every step of the way and even quite liked how the story unfolded and thought it ended nicely.

The thing is, at least for me, both Will of the Wisps and the original are excellent games however neither ever cross that greatest of all time barrier. They're both such solid experiences but there's nothing that completely feels fresh or blows me away. They're certainly unique in atmosphere as there's nothing quite like them, but both Ori's just play everything too safe in their inherent design. It's been awhile since I played the original but I sort of want to go back and replay it just to compare the two properly. In my memory I liked the original just as much as this one despite the improvements. Either way, Will of the Wisps is so damn good and I'll probably go back to 100% it.

Last edited:

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Well that was worrying for a sec...

I fired the arc bow and all of a sudden the screen went black. Could still press buttons and heard sounds but no screen.

Had to restart entirely thought my save was bricked.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I had a bit of a rough start with the game as I said earlier, but man, it's been so good since I unlocked all the basic traversal options. I'm officially in love by now that I've reached the Luma Pools.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Now I may have missed some exposition at the start of the game, because I think at one point I got distracted mid cut-scene but I feel totally clueless on why...

the willow's end was destroyed and the light dispersed? The whole point of the original game was to retrieve the light and restore balance. Is this the same light or different? I just want context to the current world status.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Now I may have missed some exposition at the start of the game, because I think at one point I got distracted mid cut-scene but I feel totally clueless on why...

the willow's end was destroyed and the light dispersed? The whole point of the original game was to retrieve the light and restore balance. Is this the same light or different? I just want context to the current world status.

It seems like the Spirit Trees are present in multiple parts of the world, with the Spirit Willow specifically protecting Niwen from the Decay (which was unnamed in the first game but its effects on the environment and creatures were apparent).

My theory is, while the first Spirit Tree was deliberately "killed" by Kuro, the Spirit Willow died naturally and so could not be revived by simply returning the light. The light itself (Seir) was not enough to restore the tree anymore, and so it had to be absorbed by Ori to create a new tree to protect Niwen.

The temple in Windswept Wastes seems to indicate the Spirit Trees have a life cycle: dying, falling to decay, then their remaining light is gathered and absorbed by one of their children (the Spirits) and a new tree is born. While the mosaics in the temple seem to show a prophecy, I reckon it's not one specific to Ori.

That's my take on it anyway.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It seems like the Spirit Trees are present in multiple parts of the world, with the Spirit Willow specifically protecting Niwen from the Decay (which was unnamed in the first game but its effects on the environment and creatures were apparent).

My theory is, while the first Spirit Tree was deliberately "killed" by Kuro, the Spirit Willow died naturally and so could not be revived by simply returning the light. The light itself (Seir) was not enough to restore the tree anymore, and so it had to be absorbed by Ori to create a new tree to protect Niwen.

The temple in Windswept Wastes seems to indicate the Spirit Trees have a life cycle: dying, falling to decay, then their remaining light is gathered and absorbed by one of their children (the Spirits) and a new tree is born. While the mosaics in the temple seem to show a prophecy, I reckon it's not one specific to Ori.

That's my take on it anyway.

I'll wait to open, I'm only part way through but thanks I'll come back to this!

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'll wait to open, I'm only part way through but thanks I'll come back to this!

Oh ok, I think I jumped the gun and went a bit too general. Going back to your original post, a more specific and less spoilery answer is that the Spirit Willow is a different Spirit Tree from the one in the first game, since it's in a different part of the world (Niwen, rather than Nibel).

I'd still avoid my initial post for the time being since there are end game spoilers in it.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Don't wanna get spoiled but minor spoiler-y question about the Will of the Wisps quest.

My map says there are two wisps that remain unfound. But I count three missing on the map. Same thing happened before I got the in Luma Pools - it said three unfound but I counted four on the map. Is this a glitch or are there more out there than you need to progress in the story or something?

Thanks in advance!

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Don't wanna get spoiled but minor spoiler-y question about the Will of the Wisps quest.

My map says there are two wisps that remain unfound. But I count three missing on the map. Same thing happened before I got the in Luma Pools - it said three unfound but I counted four on the map. Is this a glitch or are there more out there than you need to progress in the story or something?

Thanks in advance!
There's one area
where you need 4 wisps to progress further and get a final wisp. So there are 5 wisps total.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I'm finding projectile enemies really god damn frustrating, mainly these fast moving projectile ones like
the spider things in the sand place I've just entered.

I'm still getting to grips with the feather floating again and there's spikes everywhere and on top of that there's enemies shooting things you have a half second to react to? Super fun...

Munki

Apr 30, 2019
I'd first start with any suspiciously unmarked areas on the world map. Failing that, finish off the subquests to end up with useful rewards that will help 100% everything.
Thanks breh, already had the reward which is why I was so confused. I thought it was a bug, but upon closer inspection of my map there was one behind one of the spider baby icons so it had missed it. But now I'm stuck trying to get one of the spirit lights in which I think I've run into a legit bug.

Edit: it's in the Wellspring, I free up gears of the purple blobs and it's supposed to raise a wall underwater (I think), which it is not.

Last edited:

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks breh, already had the reward which is why I was so confused. I thought it was a bug, but upon closer inspection of my map there was one behind one of the spider baby icons so it had missed it. But now I'm stuck trying to get one of the spirit lights in which I think I've run into a legit bug.

Edit: it's in the Wellspring, I free up gears of the purple blobs and it's supposed to raise a wall underwater (I think), which it is not.
This same exact thing happened to me with the ore behind the spider. It was in the hub area which is probably why I wasn't looking hard enough there.

newdivide

Oct 7, 2019
Apparently the framerate on the S works well once you close the game for the first time. Super weird. Now works great.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I'm at 99% complete on Mouldwood Depths and it's driving me mad... What am I missing...

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Apparently the framerate on the S works well once you close the game for the first time. Super weird. Now works great.

It seems like the general consensus is that closing the game temporarily helps the framerate, but that it gets worse the longer you play in a given session. So hopefully you don't run into any more issues, but I'm not sure if closing it once will permanently fix anything.

wrongway

Oct 27, 2017
omfg, my weekend got so goofy that I still haven't played beyond the prologue.

Is there an ETA on the next PC patch? I only played like 15 minutes, and it was fine for that, but I'm totally game to wait a few days if there's a comprehensive clean-up patch on the horizon. I'd prefer to avoid any weird wonkery that might rear its head going into the real meat of the game.

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
Completed it last night and absolutely loved it. I really like how it ends, and I'm going to go back and clean up the few things that I have left.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ran into a hilarious bug with those gas bubbles you're supposed to bounce off of. As soon as I hit LB, Ori teleports 500 ft in the air and drowns 😹

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Another 2 hours, but I finally did it. If I doubled or tripled my death count the on that chase, I would not be surprised.

Counter-intuitively, being in the sand is the safe zone, because you move at roughly the same speed. It's when you're in between sand walls and especially taking corners that it's got the speed advantage.

Now I got the map stone, so I'm just gonna slot in the Secret shard and take it easy for a while, collecting everything I missed. Maybe my hands will stop shaking.

No way in hell am I ever trying that on Hard.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Is there a single person who thinks those OHK chase sequence or darkness bullshit is fun? Way to kill my enjoyment.

The game has a weird non-combat focus which seems really strange considering almost all shards are combat stuff.

FoxJenkins

Dec 12, 2017
Just finished this game. Boy. What a game. I enjoyed all of it. Every single moment.

maybe I'll return without the hyperbole but it was the right challenge and look and music, good lord the music was awesome.Im happy I played this.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Finally started the game and I'm having a blast - it's incredible so far. The music and visuals are really blowing me away. Definitely feel the chug on One X during combat, hopefully the next patch will address that.
Would love an option to hide the game HUD.
Also this, though I appreciate that it's fairly minimal.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
The game has a weird non-combat focus which seems really strange considering almost all shards are combat stuff.
Weird non-combat focus? It's a platformer first and foremost. The shards mostly pertain to combat because if you have too many movement ones it breaks the ability gating/Metroidvania design of the world.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a single person who thinks those OHK chase sequence or darkness bullshit is fun? Way to kill my enjoyment.

The first game was almost entirely platforming, and its still the priority here. The shards are mostly combat because the movement abilities in a metroidvania style map are designed to be progressively upgraded as the map opens up.

Those things you call bullshit were some of the best parts imo.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
Just 100% finished the game,

All I can say is WOW.

What a masterpiece Moon Studio have created. Everything was just astonishing, only con I could think of is that Enemy Variety could have been more diverse, but the Ori is still much more platforming focused, which it passes with flying colors.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017

I thought they were incredible. The chases are exciting, having to figure out what to do in the spur of the moment was exhilarating, and they're laid out well, I never had to guess where to go next.

The darkness wasn't an issue for me, the paths that the lightning bugs (or whatever they are) fly through weren't particularly challenging and you get the area's ability before you have to deal with it very long.

There's also no real penalty for dying and they were surprisingly generous with checkpoints.

So yeah, the chase scenes in particular were a highlight, some masterful design.

Kazer

Oct 27, 2017
Finished this up earlier and went back to collect everything. Absolutely loved it. Beautiful game and OST. Hard mode wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it'd be.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
A question about the story/ending for thomasmahler

In the final cutscene we see the passage of time pkay out as our family of characters spend time visiting the tree of Niwen/ori over the years. Im curious as to what the implied fates of the other characters are.

Ku: We get to see Ku age and grow bigger and stronger, is it implied that Ku is the large owl flying by that Naru waves to in one of the future segments? And as the passage of time continues, Ku is no longer present when Gumo and Naru visit Ori. Im assuming it is because Ku is probably off having her own adventures or with her own new family now?

Gumo:
As time progresses we see Gumo and Naru appear to become significantly older, they are moving slower and supporting each other, then in the next shot it is only Naru returning to Ori. Is this implying that Gumo may have passed from old age at this point? Or am i looking too much into it and it was simply an artistic choice of leaving the ending moment to be between Naru and Ori, like the beginning moments of Blind Forest?

Naru:
I really fricking love Naru. That last shot of her laying against the tree had me in tears. She loved Ori so much and she spent all her years caretaking for the spirit tree. Dont really have any lasting questions here, i just really love the character.

Again, im sure the point is for most of these questions to remain vague, but i can't get the ending out of my head. It was so emotional and I'd truly hate to never see these characters again. Love them all. Wonderful job on the game.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
omfg, my weekend got so goofy that I still haven't played beyond the prologue.

Is there an ETA on the next PC patch? I only played like 15 minutes, and it was fine for that, but I'm totally game to wait a few days if there's a comprehensive clean-up patch on the horizon. I'd prefer to avoid any weird wonkery that might rear its head going into the real meat of the game.
No major issues on PC.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
I know there was talk about either Steam & Windows Store having different patches live. Is this no longer an issue?

Last edited:

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Phew just beat the game and I gotta say it was phenomenal! I liked it way more then the original. Was a very cute and interesting title and now I'm really curious to see what Moon Studios does next!

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Having a bit of trouble on the Mora boss fight. Any tips?

I can get the spider down to a quarter health when everything goes dark. I know I'm supposed to use the flash skill so I dont die, but any tips beyond that? Just use normal attacks I assume since others will drain energy?

Also, it's checkpointed here for the boss fight, but if I quit the game for the night and come back to it later will it resume from halfway through the boss fight?

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Having a bit of trouble on the Mora boss fight. Any tips?

I can get the spider down to a quarter health when everything goes dark. I know I'm supposed to use the flash skill so I dont die, but any tips beyond that? Just use normal attacks I assume since others will drain energy?

Also, it's checkpointed here for the boss fight, but if I quit the game for the night and come back to it later will it resume from halfway through the boss fight?
Flash doesn't really drain a lot of energy fast, you should have plenty of leeway. If you leave the game you'll have to start the boss fight from the beginning.