• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Team done did good work and gosh darn i can't wait to experience this game. Blind Forest was great and so gorgeous.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Thanks for all the positive thoughts, folks!

We're all super excited about how people will react to Will of the Wisps, can't wait to watch people on streams check out all the new abilities, spells, weapons and of course the story.

In more ways than one, Will of the Wisps feels like Blind Forests bigger brother, so I'm pretty confident in saying that if you even just liked Blind Forest, Will of the Wisps will make you very happy :)

My hope is that we shipped one of the best games of the year. Tough competition this year with Last of Us 2, Cyberpunk, etc, but we did what we could. Here's me hoping that everyone out there shares our vision, you never know at the end of the day as a creator how people will react, so... wish us luck! :)

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

We're all super excited about how people will react to Will of the Wisps, can't wait to watch people on streams check out all the new abilities, spells, weapons and of course the story.

In more ways than one, Will of the Wisps feels like Blind Forests bigger brother, so I'm pretty confident in saying that if you even just liked Blind Forest, Will of the Wisps will make you very happy :)

My hope is that we shipped one of the best games of the year. Tough competition this year with Last of Us 2, Cyberpunk, etc, but we did what we could. Here's me hoping that everyone out there shares our vision, you never know at the end of the day as a creator how people will react, so... wish us luck! :)
Nice. It will probably be my GOTY :)

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
YESSS! :)

3616406-ori%20collectors%20edition.jpg

Wanted to buy this but no $$$ so going to enjoy the game through Game Pass !

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada

It'll be my GAME OF THE YEAR for sure - Yes The Last of Us Part II is also coming this year but THIS game will take it for me.

Blind Forest is one of my fav games of the decade.

Cannot wait to die a lot and then master this gem. Thank you so much for creating this world.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018

Congrats! The first Ori was already fantastic, and it seems you went even a step further. I can't wait!

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait! Congrats to the team.

Really glad this release is not clashing with other games that I want to play.

SilentFlyer

Oct 26, 2017
Ori and the Blind forest was one of the best games I played. Unfortunately couldn't finish it as my xbox stopped working.. The music was outstanding. I still have it set as my ringtone.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I have gamepass but im still going to buy this game as it is one I want in my collection if it is anything like the original

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to play this game, had a blast with Blind Forest, this looks amazing so far. March can't come fast enough.

FGPack

Jan 19, 2020
Italy
Is this confirmed or is it just speculation based on the first game being on Switch? I'd love to see this game on Switch too seeing as I don't have an Xbox or gaming PC.
Speculation. I mean: why bringing first Ori if they don't plan to bring second one too? It's the only reason i have not picked the first one yet. I wanna be sure second game will come too

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Prettiest platformer I've ever seen in my life. I'm pretty tempted to play.

Edit: i have gamepass. Okay my body is ready.

jobbe1978

Jan 18, 2018
Italy

You deserve all the respect and the kudos of the worldwide community for creating this goty contender for sure!
Congrats Thomas and all the team!

thomasmahler

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
It's been been 5 years since Ori 1? Time flies so incredibly fast jesus.

Yeah, you can say that again... We finished Ori and the Blind Forest Definitive Edition in March of 2016 and then immediately started to work on Ori and the Will of the Wisps. It took us another 4 years again because we always wanted to make sure that WotW won't feel like a cheap cashgrab sequel. It would've been fairly easy to just take the stuff we had from Blind Forest and basically make a whole bunch of new levels and call it a day, but that's just not how Moon operates. We're trying to build the kinda studio that'll get the reputation Blizzard had pre-Activision: We always want gamers to know that when we shipped something, we tried our very best to deliver something remarkable. Ideally every game should become a masterpiece... even if it often feels like we're torturing ourselves, but in the end we're always happy if we were able to squeeze that last ounce of quality into something.

At the end of the day, the team always gets a huge push from seeing how fans react to the stuff that we made and we're currently in this weird state where we've lived and breathed Will of the Wisps for the past 4 years, but we've been very secretive overall, so most of you haven't seen anything yet. There's so much stuff in Will of the Wisps that will blow you folks away, things that we probably shouldn't even have done as a developer cause it was way too risky - but we did it anyway, cause everyone in the studio is constantly chasing quality.

I'm super proud of the team we built - It's not always been easy, but at the end of the day, I think we created something with Will of the Wisps that everyone will remember as something they'll be proud having been a part of.

So buckle up, folks, March 11th isn't far away anymore and I think Will of the Wisps is turning out to become an experience that most people didn't expect to come out of our studio. We're still small and scrappy, but I hope people will see Will of the Wisps as a true AAA-quality 2d game, something the industry usually doesn't support these days, cause it's a crazy thing to do.

Our folks who worked on Ori will take a short break after the release and then everyone will start working on the ARPG we've also been working on. This journey never ends, but I hope we'll make you all happy along the way :)

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
Can't wait to play this - Ori is still my favourite game of this generation - by some margin.

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
I'm super proud of the team we built - It's not always been easy, but at the end of the day, I think we created something with Will of the Wisps that everyone will remember as something they'll be proud having been a part of.

As you very much should. Ori and the Blind Forest had this inescapable feeling that it's a personal labor of a passionate team. Every level had its own identity and theme. I enjoyed my time with it, and every time I replayed there was more things to appreciate.

I have a question.

While Ori aces it by a small margin in my opinion thanks to better and more lively animation and more meaningful level variety, the only other game that felt this way was Hollow Knight. It came out, as I am sure you know, during the development course of the Will of the Wisps.

I remember reading your opinion on it, that you enjoyed it but you felt it lacked in combat in addition to other gripes.

Still, having loved Hollow Knight almost as much as the Blind Forest, and recognizing that Hollow Knight was a much deeper Metroidviania, while the Blind Forest was more of a platformer with Metroidviania elements.

During the time you developed your game, what were things you felt you had to include from Hollow Knight in the Will of the Wisps?

What other Hollow Knight elements you guys felt you had to incorporate one way or another?

I think you guys took inspiration from its charm system, which it's great.

I also know you guys added side quests, but in a more streamlined way.

Last edited:

thomasmahler

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
As you very much should. Ori and the Blind Forest had this inescapable feeling that it's a personal labor of a passionate team. Every level had its own identity and theme. I enjoyed my time with it, and every time I replayed there was more things to appreciate.

I have a question.

While Ori aces it by a small margin in my opinion thanks to better and more lively animation and more meaningful level variety, the only other game that felt this way was Hollow Knight. It came out, as I am sure you know, during the development course of the Will of the Wisps.

I remember reading your opinion on it, that you enjoyed it but you felt it lacked in combat in addition to other gripes.

Still, having loved Hollow Knight almost as much as the Blind Forest, and recognizing that Hollow Knight was a much deeper Metroidviania, while the Blind Forest was more of a platformer with Metroidviania elements.

During the time you developed Hollow Knight, what were things you felt you had to include in the Will of the Wisps?

What other Hollow Knight elements you guys felt you had to incorporate one way or another?

I think you guys took inspiration from its charm system, which it's great.

I also know you guys added side quests, but in a more streamlined way.

When I first played Hollow Knight, I didn't like the pacing of it - It just felt a bit drawn out to me and the actual moment-to-moment level design also felt a bit basic. They obviously didn't spend anywhere near the resources we did on Platforming and Level Design and we didn't spend anywhere near the resources they did on combat (during the Blind Forest days, I mean). I've obviously completed the game since then and think it's great overall, but I'm not a fan of arguing which game is better since to me they're doing very different things within the genre.

I don't know if we were all that much inspired by Hollow Knight, they just tried to do a very different thing than what we are focusing on. Ori is and always has been a precision-platformer at heart. Our Design-Credo during the development of Will of the Wisps was to ensure that Will of the Wisps has to become to Blind Forest what Super Mario Bros 3 was to Super Mario Bros 1. The core stays intact, but everything gets major improvements.

So in the end, I'm sure tons of people will compare Hollow Knight and Will of the Wisps and I'd say the comparisons this time will be more apt since we did spend a ton of resources this time on combat as well... but at the end of the day, let's be honest, it's just awesome that we see multiple high-quality 2d games get released every year again. So I'd say let's focus on that :)