• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
if this opening is anything like Blind Forest's opening then I am definitely not watching this one. can't wait for the 11th.

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
Not watching any more media since i already pre-ordered the game and want to experience it myself.

It's one of my most anticipated games. However, i'm feeling slightly nervous about the changes. I see in this thread mentioned mechanics from Hollow Knight, boss fights, combat, side quests, different save system (which i liked in Ori), ... The first game was pretty much perfect for me since it was, above all, an excellent platformer so i hope platforming is still the main focus in Ori 2.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
Lots of stuff in this interview

metro.co.uk

Ori And The Will Of The Wisps preview and interview – so good you could cry

The long-awaited sequel to Ori And The Blind Forest is finally almost finished and GameCentral has spoken to both the composer and producer.

Things confirmed:

• Three times larger than Blind Forest​
  • Game influenced by Zelda​
  • Soul link save system has been removed​
  • Side quests​
  • Spirit shards (similar to hollow knight)​
  • Escape sequences are back​
  • Large boss fights with multiple phases​
  • Race trials​
  • New mode called "spirit shrine" (fight against waves of enemies)​
  • No comment to switch version​

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not watching! Along with Res3, I'm going in completely blind. I can't wait for this!

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Not watching any more media since i already pre-ordered the game and want to experience it myself.

It's one of my most anticipated games. However, i'm feeling slightly nervous about the changes. I see in this thread mentioned mechanics from Hollow Knight, boss fights, combat, side quests, different save system (which i liked in Ori), ... The first game was pretty much perfect for me since it was, above all, an excellent platformer so i hope platforming is still the main focus in Ori 2.

Wouldn't worry too much, if you liked Blind Forest, you're going to love Will of the Wisps :)

Again, our focus was 'just' on trying to make a perfect sequel - We didn't want to lose anything that made Blind Forest feel special, but added a lot of things on top that'll hopefully make you all happy.

And I'm really happy seeing all these previews. We've been putting so much hard work and dedication into this title, so I'm almost teary-eyed reading all this positive feedback. Not too long anymore and the reviews will be out and you'll all get to play it, feels almost surreal to me.

Wolfapo

Dec 27, 2017
Man, the music alone is worth it again!
Can't wait to jump in again into this colourful world!

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Wouldn't worry too much, if you liked Blind Forest, you're going to love Will of the Wisps :)

Again, our focus was 'just' on trying to make a perfect sequel - We didn't want to lose anything that made Blind Forest feel special, but added a lot of things on top that'll hopefully make you all happy.

And I'm really happy seeing all these previews. We've been putting so much hard work and dedication into this title, so I'm almost teary-eyed reading all this positive feedback. Not too long anymore and the reviews will be out and you'll all get to play it, feels almost surreal to me.

Good luck with the release!

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017

I have no doubts it's gonna be a more than worthy successor. Super excited!
Also thanks for your continued engagement with the community. It's not a matter of course, but much appreciated!

coma

Oct 28, 2017
We didn't want to lose anything that made Blind Forest feel special,
What was the reasoning behind changing the save system for the sequel, if you don't mind elaborating? It added an extra layer of challenge/uniqueness to the original to me. (I'm sure the game is still great without it, just curious.)

thomasmahler

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
I have no doubts it's gonna be a more than worthy successor. Super excited!
Also thanks for your continued engagement with the community. It's not a matter of course, but much appreciated!
Absolutely, I love Era :)

And be assured that the whole Moon Studios team is reading these threads, so once you guys play the game, please feel free to post any and all impressions!

thomasmahler

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
What was the reasoning behind changing the save system for the sequel, if you don't mind elaborating? It added an extra layer of challenge/uniqueness to the original to me. (I'm sure the game is still great without it, just curious.)
It was just too much stuff to focus on at a time. The Soul Link System worked for Blind Forest, but we wanted to allow players to fully customize their face buttons (apart from A) this time around and with all the new stuff, it was too much to keep track of. We did test with Soul Link early on, but the new system just overall felt better to us and it also removed some of the frustrations people had with the Soul Link system, especially when people forgot to actually save. We've been testing this stuff for hundreds, if not thousands of hours - Once you play the final game, I'm pretty sure you'll agree that it just works for Will of the Wisps.

I think a lot of people are expecting Will of the Wisps to 'just' be more Blind Forest, but we've been enhancing and fine-tuning pretty much everything, all the core systems and all the layers on top - Will of the Wisps is very much its own thing, I feel, without neglecting the stuff that made Blind Forest so much fun to play. So worry not, play the game, have a good time and don't forget to post your impressions here :D

Hedera

Oct 25, 2017
I've checked the system requirements on steam but I'm really not at all versed in PC specs and I'm trying to gauge if my laptop would be able run this. It ran Blind Forest pretty ok irc, but that's a 5y old game. The laptop has a GTX 950M, an [email protected] and 8 GB of RAM.

Might be to early to ask but if anyone has any input I'd appreciate.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
I've checked the system requirements on steam but I'm really not at all versed in PC specs and I'm trying to gauge if my laptop would be able run this. It ran Blind Forest pretty ok irc, but that's a 5y old game. The laptop has a GTX 950M, an [email protected] and 8 GB of RAM.

It might have problems. Will of the Wisps runs on a much more newer and customized version of Unity which might introduce higher system requirements than Blind Forest. Worse case scenario you can buy it on Steam and refund if it doesn't run well.

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Not going to watch it, media blackout baby, I'm so excited!

Just wondering if they confirmed 21:9 support for PC, I guess they will because the definitive edition of the first game did as well.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I for one am glad the soul link system has gone, I never found it a challenge, more of a frustration after making a lot of progress, dying, and being taken back miles because I forgot to save.

Can't wait to play this game, I've booked in holidays at work especially for it.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017

Hopefully the game allows to tweak some settings, though iirc the first one didn't really have any options for that.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus I still haven't played the first game

Too many GAMES man, too many

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Hopefully, but even then comparing the minimun specs on both games it really does seem like a hefty difference.

Indeed.

Unfortunately I don't think that would change with Wisps. The whole game's art style and the way it renders assets don't really leave a lot of room for performance tweaking.

I see, that sucks. But since the game will run at 60fps on XB1 (1080p I suppose) here's hoping weaker hardware can have a somewhat decent performance at lower resolutions.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
I for one am glad the soul link system has gone, I never found it a challenge, more of a frustration after making a lot of progress, dying, and being taken back miles because I forgot to save.

Can't wait to play this game, I've booked in holidays at work especially for it.

For me it was a crutch, since I saved a lot. I would save as soon as possible after going through a tough part.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hope they release the soundtrack. Sounds beautiful.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
For me it was a crutch, since I saved a lot. I would save as soon as possible after going through a tough part.
Yeah you could effectively baby-step your progress through challenging areas by checkpointing so much. Depending on where or how frequent checkpoints are placed in this I imagine it's possible for it to be harder.

Either way I don't think it's a big deal, once you acclimated to it after the opening 30 minutes in or so in Blind Forest it didn't really feel any different from traditional auto or manual saving.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to watch any footage, but reading through the previews and this just sounds perfect.

Apr 19, 2018
Looks lovely!

Any chance of a playable demo? I'm curious to see if my old-ass rig will be able to run this game properly or not.