• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
Yes. There will be 3 physical SKUs: Ori and the Blind Forest, Ori and the Will of the Wisps and the Ori Collectors Edition that contains both games, the soundtracks and a ton of other stuff :)
Long shot, but is there any chance of a 'regular' physical double pack for Switch, with Ori and the Blind Forest + Will of the Wisps on one cart?

olobolger

Oct 31, 2017
Andalusia
In December both the Collector's Edition and regular physical editions will be released :)
Yup, both Blind Forest and Will of the Wisps will be released physically at the same time :)
Yes. There will be 3 physical SKUs: Ori and the Blind Forest, Ori and the Will of the Wisps and the Ori Collectors Edition that contains both games, the soundtracks and a ton of other stuff :)

Amazing! Looking forward to those!! 🙌

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
iam8bit is shipping it all around the world as far as I know, yes :)

Thanks, but isn't that going to be a pretty hefty shipping price if somebody lives in Europe for example? There's also increased chances of damage when shipping long distance (and I'm sure nobody wants dents in their Collector's Edition box). It's a pith that the sole distribution point is in the US.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Thanks, but isn't that going to be a pretty hefty shipping price if somebody lives in Europe for example? There's also increased chances of damage when shipping long distance (and I'm sure nobody wants dents in their Collector's Edition box). It's a pith that the sole distribution point is in the US.

I was told that emailing [email protected] might lead to good things :)

Is the Collector's Edition exclusive to the IAm8-Bit Store or will it be available elsewhere?

iam8bit is the publisher, the CE will be exclusively distributed by them, yes.

Godsent

Jan 11, 2019
I don't mean to deride the hard work you and everyone at Moon have obviously put into the game, and I understand the compromises that needed to be made to even make this port happen. But as you say, mine is a subjective perspective, and given how everyone's sensitivity to framerate differs, I need to call it as I see it.

Dropped frames are to be expected, naturally, and I can't say that I'm at the mid to later sections of the game yet to make any judgment calls, but much of the areas immediately following Inkwater Marsh (specifically Kwolok's Hollow and The Wellspring) have, again, exhibited very real drops and stutters that I simply couldn't ignore. I don't use the word "rough" lightly, but when the game begins to exhibit stuttering that borders on half-second pauses, which results in hindrance to gameplay, I do think it's warranted. I am hoping the performance and experience are better going forward.

Like the original release, it's great to hear that these issues are being monitored and looked into. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that we just want this to be the very best game that it can be.

Played about 10 hours so far and the game has been pretty much flawless.. I guess I'm not that sensitive to small fps drops from 60 to 50. It looks spectacular too on the handheld

The game performs better than it was originally on XBox as far as I can remember.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had another crash, this time without lag pre empting it. Warping from Luma pools to wellspring glades... Crashed and when I restarted I was still in Luma pools. Tried again and it worked this time.

Seems in general that most crashes involve the wellspring glade in some way.

kaiush

Jan 22, 2018
Beautiful game. Loving it as much as the first so far. All the new mechanics are reminding me of Hollow Knight a lot.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Played for about an hour. Game's beautiful and performs wonderfully so far!

Did encounter an odd bug where I randomly fell into the ground and got stuck inside one of the black in-between areas on the map. Had to reload a backup save (talk about a life saving feature...).

EijEvdbU0AEi2Nl

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Some very nice scores on Metacritic for the Switch version:

Metascore: 93

User Score: 9.1

Ori and the Will of the Wisps

The little spirit Ori is no stranger to peril, but when a fateful flight puts the owlet Ku in harm’s way, it will take more than bravery to bring a family back together, heal a broken land, and discover Ori’s true destiny. From the creators of the acclaimed action-platformer Ori and the Blind...

which are a bit higher than the scores for the PC and Xbox One versions.

Haven't yet boiught it myself, waiting for the bugs to be ironed out first and for the release of the physical version in December.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I remember telling someone not to get their hopes up about a Switch version. Being wrong feels good sometimes.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
thomasmahler will the regular physical edition of both games release in Europe? Will I be able to purchase it on, say, Amazon Spain? Or will I have to import it from the states? Thanks

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
A friend of mine told me " there is no way Switch could run this game" when he saw the 1st or 2nd trailer of Ori 2 lol.
To be honest, even we thought the same thing for some time. After having a hell of a time to get perf issues ironed out on the Xbox, we all thought for a while that, on Switch, 30fps would probably be the best we'd ever get out of it and if that would've been the case, we most likely wouldn't have shipped the game on Switch.

But then our Tech Team went silent for a while and when we heard from them again, hitting the 16.6ms required suddenly become more and more of a possibility. Suddenly our Art Team also had to get involved and soon we had builds where parts of it ran at 60fps and it was a thing of beauty. Then both departments kept dabbling away and the result is what we shipped.

It's honestly quite unbelievable to me how this thing came to pass, I was already heads down on the next game we're making, so I was just as surprised as everyone else. Getting to work with these insanely talented folks at Moon is a joy, every day you see some amazing stuff happening and it just inspires yourself to roll up your sleeves to really hit the nail on the head.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
To be honest, even we thought the same thing for some time. After having a hell of a time to get perf issues ironed out on the Xbox, we all thought for a while that, on Switch, 30fps would probably be the best we'd ever get out of it and if that would've been the case, we most likely wouldn't have shipped the game on Switch.

But then our Tech Team went silent for a while and when we heard from them again, hitting the 16.6ms required suddenly become more and more of a possibility. Suddenly our Art Team also had to get involved and soon we had builds where parts of it ran at 60fps and it was a thing of beauty. Then both departments kept dabbling away and the result is what we shipped.

It's honestly quite unbelievable to me how this thing came to pass, I was already heads down on the next game we're making, so I was just as surprised as everyone else. Getting to work with these insanely talented folks at Moon is a joy, every day you see some amazing stuff happening and it just inspires yourself to roll up your sleeves to really hit the nail on the head.
❤️ Moon rocks

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The fact your team is so insistent on your games running at 60fps, including ports, is so refreshing as a Switch owner.

Sky Walker

Oct 25, 2017

Wow, you people at Moon are such talented!

Thanks for your insight.

olobolger

Oct 31, 2017
Andalusia
Physical editions are up on retail stores (at least in Europe) with a December 8th release date (~37€):

xtralife | Empaquetando universos | Compra online de videojuegos, consolas y accesorios

xtralife | Ponemos a tu disposición una tienda de videojuegos al completo | Tienda de videojuegos online

Ori and the Will of the Whisps Nintendo Switch en - Llévate 10€ con tu reserva de próximos lanzamientos en videojuegos.

Lanzamientos Ori and the Will of the Whisps Nintendo Switch para con 10€ de regalo con Fnac.es

Ori and the Will of the Wisps: Amazon.es: Videojuegos

Ori and the Will of the Wisps: Amazon.es: Videojuegos

Ori and the Blind Forest Definitive Edition Nintendo Switch en - Llévate 10€ con tu reserva de próximos lanzamientos en videojuegos.

Lanzamientos Ori and the Blind Forest Definitive Edition Nintendo Switch para con 10€ de regalo con Fnac.es

Ori and the Blind Forest - Definitive Edition: Amazon.es: Videojuegos

Ori and the Blind Forest - Definitive Edition: Amazon.es: Videojuegos

Really looking forward to these!!

Last edited:

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
So is the Switch version just not getting XBL integration and achievements, like the first one did?
Apologies if it was already asked and answered...

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Is the physical version of the Ori series only available as the Collector's Edition? Are there any plans for "Standard" versions to be sold in stores like Best Buy?