• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sutton Dagger

Oct 27, 2017
If you haven't played these games get onto it switch only people. Possibly my favourite Metroidvania's ever, they just feel so damn good to traverse, especially the 2nd one which takes things to a whole new level.

brink22

Feb 22, 2018
Moon Studios has some quality issues. I loved playing this in March but the bugs were overbearing at times.

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really tempted to pull the trigger on that CE lmao, fuck saving up money to buy a house someday

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else playing? I'm interested in more feedback about performance.

Apr 19, 2018
So I went ahead and picked up the game. As someone who played through the original release thrice on PC earlier this year, I spent roughly an hour and half on the Switch port in docked mode and have just met Kwolok. My impressions so far are generally positive.

From what I can tell, the game's done a very respectable job at holding 60fps in the early goings. As an early adopter of the PC game, I'd become very sensitive to the micro-stutters and framerate hitches that plagued the original release pre-patch, and for the most part, these don't appear to be an issue here. The cutscenes also run very well too.

That said, I had noticed that performance was struggling some during Kwolok's Hollow. Patches of slowdown and dropped frames were introduced in a number of the bigger, more graphically dense areas in this part, which does concern me when we get to places like Luma Pool.

I'm not nearly as adept at resolution grading, so I'm not sure if my words would hold as much weight here. Even so, I found the 900p display to be a notable step down when compared to the spiffy 1080p sharpness of The Blind Forest on the same console. I'm not certain if it's a by-product of the original release's use of natural blur, but backgrounds and background objects seem to be even blurrier and noisier here. All the same, if this is the compromise that Moon had to do to get the game running as well as it is, it's a compromise I'll gladly accept.

That static-like audio bug that was in the original release doesn't appear to be an issue here either, but my game did crash just once when I was trying to access the map after a boss battle. As a FYI, I have the game installed on my Switch's internal memory.

Will see if there's any more problem areas when it comes to performance as I get further into the campaign.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
How does the game run so far? It struggled at lot on the Xbox One, so I wonder how optimized it is on the Switch.

Apr 19, 2018
How does the game run so far? It struggled at lot on the Xbox One, so I wonder how optimized it is on the Switch.

See my post above. So far, I think the game is running very well, especially with the hardware they had to work with. It's not perfect, as there's already some problem areas that introduce dropped frames and slowdown, but I consider these more the exception than the rule.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is the deluxe edition the only way to get physical?
www.resetera.com

Iam8bit: Standard editions of each Ori game on Switch coming to retailers later this year

In response asking if the Ori games will get standard retail releases as well. So I'm guessing the boxes will just be these but on their own: Now folks won't have to shell out $150 to have these physically on Switch! Doubt they'll bother with the Xbox versions as... MS already did them. :P...

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
See my post above. So far, I think the game is running very well, especially with the hardware they had to work with. It's not perfect, as there's already some problem areas that introduce dropped frames and slowdown, but I consider these more the exception than the rule.

Just did, they'll probably improve it a lot (the difference from launch on X1 is like night and day). I'll wait a bit to see, but I'll probably double dip and get this again on Switch

snipah

Oct 28, 2017
Congratulations Moon to such an amazing port! As XBox One X literally was my Ori-machine and all Ori-Games are available on Switch now, I just packed up my One X and put it up for sale! Although it is not 4k/HDR the Switch-version looks great on my C9 plus I have the benefit of portability! Thanks Moon Studios!

Oct 25, 2017
La Résistance Country
Does it have Xbox achievements?

No, but it does have in-game achievements.

I'm still early in the game (up to the first boss encounter) and only played the original Ori on Switch. As mentioned by Temtastic Muns 900p is a step down to the overall IQ compared to the first and background assets like trees in some scenes look pretty low-rez/fuzzy (which I imagine isn't the case on Xbox One). The initial loading time when you first boot the game is quite long (nearly 30 secs from the internal storage), but other than that the game runs smoothly and haven't encountered anything major thus far. I mentioned it earlier but I think it's worth mentioning again that the game support 5.1 surround sound for us home theater owners. Game sounds great.

Gameplay wise it looks like the criticism I had with the first Ori has been mostly addressed in this one. Eager to play some more over the weekend.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Played a bit of it today. Such a huge step up from the first game, and such a fantastic port (after the first initial startup, which is long) - using Unity!

Apr 19, 2018

The framerate analysis part is a bit deceptive. As I mentioned, the game's done a very respectable job at holding 60fps on Switch in the early goings, particularly for the bulk of the Inkwater Marsh section. But as I'm getting deeper in the game, I regret to say that the cracks are starting to show, with persistent drops and stutters in several areas.

It's now becoming more the rule than the exception. =/

GennadiyKorol

Lead Engineer at Moon Studios
Verified
Aug 19, 2019
The framerate analysis part is a bit deceptive. As I mentioned, the game's done a very respectable job at holding 60fps on Switch in the early goings, particularly for the bulk of the Inkwater Marsh section. But as I'm getting deeper in the game, I regret to say that the cracks are starting to show, with persistent drops and stutters in several areas.

It's now becoming more the rule than the exception. =/

Not at all what we see in all of our testing, profiling and automation. If anything the game performs better in the mid-later stages than it is in the beginning.
We value your subjective perspective but everything you have so far mentioned is dipping to maybe 55fps at the worst (and the spots you mentioned are "rough" to 52 maybe?).

The only reason I'm responding is because words like "cracks are showing", "deceptive" and "rough" are being used which I do not think reflects the actual quality of the experience people will have with the game. We are extremely passionate about giving players the best experience we possibly can on a given platform.

You'd mentioned that you have gotten to Silent Woods, I hope the experience will be smooth for you from here!

As for crashes - as with any crashes on a console we will have to investigate all the traces we find and see what the reason for those might be.
Usually the amount of issues you see in the wild is always greater than anything you see in the testing, no matter how much time you spend testing.
We are monitoring every single issue anyone is reporting and are looking into it and if there's anything we can do there will be a patch coming as soon as we can possibly address the issue.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Not at all what we see in all of our testing, profiling and automation. If anything the game performs better in the mid-later stages than it is in the beginning.
We value your subjective perspective but everything you have so far mentioned is dipping to maybe 55fps at the worst (and the spots you mentioned are "rough" to 52 maybe?).

The only reason I'm responding is because words like "cracks are showing", "deceptive" and "rough" are being used which I do not think reflects the actual quality of the experience people will have with the game. We are extremely passionate about giving players the best experience we possibly can on a given platform.

You'd mentioned that you have gotten to Silent Woods, I hope the experience will be smooth for you from here!

As for crashes - as with any crashes on a console we will have to investigate all the traces we find and see what the reason for those might be.
Usually the amount of issues you see in the wild is always greater than anything you see in the testing, no matter how much time you spend testing.
We are monitoring every single issue anyone is reporting and are looking into it and if there's anything we can do there will be a patch coming as soon as we can possibly address the issue.
Thomas said earlier he was looking for feedback if I recall, I hope you guys are prepping a patch to address the crashes and any other issues with the game.

Can you or Thomas comment on the absence of Xbox Live in this game? Ori 1 had it, so it's odd that it's absent here. Hopefully you guys can add it in. Also I hope any patches released will be on time to be included on cart for the retail releases (both the standard edition at retail, and the collector's edition).

Still a really impressive port despite the issues! :)

GennadiyKorol

Lead Engineer at Moon Studios
Verified
Aug 19, 2019
We are reading and watching absolutely everything we can find and will be patching as soon as we have the issues fixed and can get them through the patch pipeline.

The crashes are being looked into and it would really help if anyone that has them can PM me directly with any additional context as well as send the crash dumps to Nintendo. That bit is really helpful for us to try and understand what the reasons for these are. I have been PMing folks that reported crashes to get this additional information and everyone has been super helpful so far.

Also achievements and leaderboards should all be there (but without the actual Live Login).

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018

I don't mean to deride the hard work you and everyone at Moon have obviously put into the game, and I understand the compromises that needed to be made to even make this port happen. But as you say, mine is a subjective perspective, and given how everyone's sensitivity to framerate differs, I need to call it as I see it.

Dropped frames are to be expected, naturally, and I can't say that I'm at the mid to later sections of the game yet to make any judgment calls, but much of the areas immediately following Inkwater Marsh (specifically Kwolok's Hollow and The Wellspring) have, again, exhibited very real drops and stutters that I simply couldn't ignore. I don't use the word "rough" lightly, but when the game begins to exhibit stuttering that borders on half-second pauses, which results in hindrance to gameplay, I do think it's warranted. I am hoping the performance and experience are better going forward.

Like the original release, it's great to hear that these issues are being monitored and looked into. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that we just want this to be the very best game that it can be.

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
I already have this on Xbox and am happy others get the opportunity to play.

That said, the developers of this game engaging with us in real-time, in this very thread is absolutely top shelf.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really appreciate the devs being open with the community regarding bugs and performance. I'm happy to support this type of developer.

Apr 19, 2018
Getting further into the game with two more locales complete.

Performance wise, Silent Woods was indeed a fluid experience. Little to no hiccups whatsoever.

Baur's Reach was a bit shakier, particularly during the first half, but it's a marked improvement over the aforementioned Kwolok's Hollow and The Wellspring. Getting closer to the summit was especially smooth, very much on par with Inkwater Marsh at the start, and the chase sequence, like The Wellspring's, was just about flawless.

There were several more crashes, though, which I detailed in the OT thread.

thomasmahler and GennadiyKorol , I also thought it might be worth mentioning a particular bug that I've pretty much run into about 90% of the time. It's at Kwolok's Hollow, and I've snapshot the particular place on the map here:

Basically, if Ori is falling too fast in this section down toward the water area, the screen can't seem to keep up and doesn't scroll down quick enough, leaving Ori stuck in his falling animation at the bottom of the screen for a good couple of seconds. It does eventually correct itself, but it's something I've noticed most of the time.
ori.png

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi thomasmahler and GennadiyKorol thanks for making another fantastic Ori game and making it available on the Switch! Been going through it and just finished Baur's Reach. Despite the game being aces, I've had regular crashes as well. I've lost count of how many, but I would ballpark it at over 10 and under 20 so far, over multiple playthroughs. Typically the game starts to get framey, or appear to "lag" and then the crash happens a few seconds later. Fortunately due to the great auto-saving system this has almost never resulted in any loss of progress for me so far, which is great. The first place I noticed the crashing happening was in the Wellspring Glade, but it's happened in other areas as well.

One thing I will add, I keep my Switch in sleep mode, and other than the when the crashes happen, don't back out of the game. Not sure if that helps you figure out the cause of the bug, but figured any detail helps. Also been playing entirely docked.

One more weird bug I can report: I warped while on the large spinning waterwheel at the entrance to the Luma Pools. As I did it, Ori kept moving (from the rotation of the wheel) even though the warp effect was staying where I initially cast it on the wheel. After the usual amount of time passed (I assume for loading), I warped correctly to my chosen destination... (Which was the upper left warp point in The Wellspring) But when I arrived, Ori was stuck in a specific pose and I could not move or do anything at all except open up the pause menu. I had to quit out and reload back in. When I did, I was where I had warped to, and could then successfully move around as normal.

I understand this is an incredibly specific bug, and most people probably won't try to warp on the water wheel (or, I assume, other moving wheels?) but I figured I may as well mention it!

Thanks again, looking forward to whatever Moon Studios does in the future.

safety_lite

Jan 16, 2018
Chicago, IL
I have been enjoying this game immensely! I'm so impressed by the execution of the combat and traversal mechanics. This is one of the most satisfying metroidvania's I've ever played.

The nintendo switch is my only gaming hardware and this was not on my radar at all until I saw the trailer during the switch partner direct. I'm so glad they ported this to switch and that I'm able to play it.

That being said, it's crashing on me pretty consistently. I think I'm around 60% of the way through and it's crashed at least 8 times.

Last edited:

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Finished the first Ori yesterday, utterly spectacular! Will definitely pick this one up after Hades, however long that one takes. :P

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
We are reading and watching absolutely everything we can find and will be patching as soon as we have the issues fixed and can get them through the patch pipeline.

The crashes are being looked into and it would really help if anyone that has them can PM me directly with any additional context as well as send the crash dumps to Nintendo. That bit is really helpful for us to try and understand what the reasons for these are. I have been PMing folks that reported crashes to get this additional information and everyone has been super helpful so far.

Also achievements and leaderboards should all be there (but without the actual Live Login).

I've not yet bought the game after reading about the crashes but will do so once they are fixed by patches, thanks for looking into this.

One other thing - I've read that it's possible to accidentally delete a save file because there's no deletion request confirmation, therefore you select delete and the save is gone. If that's correct would it be possible to add an "Are you Sure?" query to avoid accidental deletion?

I hope that the game is selling well (it seems that it's been overshadowed by Mario and Hades, and the reported crashes presumably aren't helping?).

It looks like a wonderful game, I'm looking forward to playing it once the crashes have been fixed. :)

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
One other thing - I've read that it's possible to accidentally delete a save file because there's no deletion request confirmation, therefore you select delete and the save is gone. If that's correct would it be possible to add an "Are you Sure?" query to avoid accidental deletion?

Huh? Maybe you confused Ori with Hades? Of course there's a deletion warning.