• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

K1ng P3n

Dec 15, 2018
Played it when it first came out on Xbox and I couldn't praise it enough. Absolutely love this game

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I usually try to avoid overstating things when I talk about games that are really special to me, but Ori really is a masterpiece if I've ever played one.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I love Ori for it's game play and presentation. Unfortunately due to it's more easy going difficulty and simple map structure it was never that engrossing to me. I've recommended it to a few people though who I think will quite enjoy it due to the exact reasons I didn't like it as much. It's a somewhat chill and at times somber adventure, that's for sure. I think only a couple points of the game will give people any sort of struggle.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
It's strange, I see all this effusive praise for the game, but having played it for about 5 hours, it never grabbed me. It was okay for me, but nothing mind-blowing. Glad others are enjoying it, it's just on the list of things that didn't click for me the way it did for others, like BotW

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's great, but the save system made me put it down and I haven't picked it up again.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I do see it get a lot of praise but I don't see it mentioned often when ppl are arguing AAAs like it doesn't count.
The game isn't a AAA game (budget, team size, etc) so I see why it is left out of those arguments. It's a fantastic game and made a shit load of GotY lists. It is one of three games I recommend everyone to get if they are buying and XBO; the others being Cuphead and Forza Horizon (3 or 4).

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game isn't a AAA game (budget, team size, etc) so I see why it is left out of those arguments. It's a fantastic game and made a shit load of GotY lists. It is one of three games I recommend everyone to get if they are buying and XBO; the others being Cuphead and Forza Horizon (3 or 4).
I guess you're right. I guess I'm thinking about when ppl saying Xbox has no games besides halo/gears/forza when Ori and cuphead are easily some of the best games to come out this gen IMO.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'm loving it so far. The game has so much personality and charm, creative and beautiful art, and a stellar soundtrack. It has drawn me in immediately, as expected.

The game has the dubious distinction of having been the only must-have Xbox One title on my list just in case I finally found enough others to buy one some day. I had pretty much assumed it would stay there until Scarlett shipped and some of the new studio acquisitions started making a difference - instead, I'm playing it today on Switch and expecting Ori and the Will of the Wisps will take its place on my list.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Maybe they meant the first 10 minutes of gameplay, and not literally the first 10 min of the game ;P

Still, you can't judge most games on their first 10 minutes of gameplay. That's like giving up on The Last of Us because you didn't like the prologue.

I'm glad that more people are enjoying Ori now, it's a wonderful game.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have fun everyone playing it for the first time, it really is a special experience.

Thinking about what they will do with the sequel and this quote from Thomas gets me all kinds of excited, the first one is such a perfect game for me so to see them aiming to push the bar even further... . oh boy.

Will of the Wisps should be to Blind Forest what Super Mario Bros. 3 was to the original Super Mario Bros.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I was very disappointed with the story, the world makes little sense, the upgrades were cool but were so strange and meaningless in the world itself... it felt very vacuous and though very pretty, the forest had no sense of historicity or place.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
I played it once and already loved it but then played Hollow Knight and thought it was better.
I'm now replaying Ori and... I'm not sure anymore lol. Ori's combat system gets too easy but is still satisfactory and the platforming controls and graphics are SO close to perfect that I think I love the game at least as much as Hollow Knight.

Definitely my two favourite metroidvanias ever, maybe tied at first place. But from what I've seen of Ori 2 it could very well become the best.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It sure is, the game is perfect in my opinion. If Witcher 3 didn't release that year Ori would have been my game of the year, that's how good it is. I have both versions on Steam, trying to get 100% on both.

Can't wait for the new one.

The art style and soundtrack is just magic.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I picked this up on Switch. Runs beautifully (1080p 60fps docked, 720p 60fps handheld), but the game hasn't really grabbed my attention. Played for an hour and it's kinda slow and sleepy. So many different colored energy orbs... Blue orbs, green orbs, gold orbs... Wish the bits and pieces you're collecting were a bit more inspired conceptually. And while your character animates fluidly, the platforms always seem a tad misplaced, so that bounding across them doesn't seem as effortless or joyful as, say, a Mario game. I know it's a Metroidvania and perhaps more methodical as such. The combat is kinda neat, in that you just have to be around an enemy and spam your homing shots while avoiding their movements. But I dunno... As far as the Xbox games on Switch, Cuphead was a revelation, but Ori is a bit tepid. Amazing opening, though -- Ori does a fine job of making you empathize with the characters within mere moments of meeting them.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
It sure is, the game is perfect in my opinion. If Witcher 3 didn't release that year Ori would have been my game of the year, that's how good it is. I have both versions on Steam, trying to get 100% on both.

Can't wait for the new one.

The art style and soundtrack is just magic.

Btw can you or anybody else explain exactly what the differences are in the definitive edition? What areas, abilities and improvements? Thanks.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i couldn't get into it. visually it's beautiful but the gameplay/controls didn't impress me.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Btw can you or anybody else explain exactly what the differences are in the definitive edition? What areas, abilities and improvements? Thanks.

From what I remember there are some new sections, such as the one with Naru's past and there is a dash ability Ori has in the DE version.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria

dred

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so glad it finally came to Switch, it seems incredible from what little I've played so far. One question though, was it a mistake for me to start on hard? I like a decent challenge but I'm surprised at how quickly you die and I'm worried about boss fights and whatnot.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
I'm so glad it finally came to Switch, it seems incredible from what little I've played so far. One question though, was it a mistake for me to start on hard? I like a decent challenge but I'm surprised at how quickly you die and I'm worried about boss fights and whatnot.
I'd definitely start the first Playthrough on Normal. It already packs a punch at that difficulty level, it's not like your typical AAA game where Normal means 'For Casuals'. You can just Switch to Normal in the Main Menu, no need to start a new game :)

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
There's actually 2 new environments (Black Root Burrows and Lost Grove) that contain 2 new abilities that you can then use throughout the rest of the game :)

Thanks Thomas! I figured as much, how one area could exist without the other and how could I have missed the Naru stuff (well it wasn't there, I played the standard edition and am now replaying the definitive on gamepass).

Let me tell you personally that the game is incredible and for the little I've seen (don't want to spoil anymore) from Ori and the Will of the Wisps it looks to be shaping up as one of the best among the best of metroidvanias ever (especially modern ones) with improved combat, side quests, npcs, etc.
Good luck with that one, I'll be there on day one via gamepass on Xbox.
Thank you for that option, it's awesome having the game there on the service day and date with the release!

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017

I don't think the difficulty setting affects platforming and there's no boss encounters as far as I remember so you'll be fine with hard I think. You can change at any moment anyway.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man I popped open the demo this morning after knowing almost nothing about the game (didn't have an xbox, no point in looking into it etc.) and it instantly put a spell on me. I won't be buying it yet, but I can't wait.

Cloudst69

Banned for abusing Giftbot
Banned
Sep 18, 2019
I tried played it once but it didn't click with me. I guess I should give it another try. So many people speaks well of this game.

ronabs

Mar 15, 2018
Ori and the Blind Forest is a 10/10 game for me, that's not a single element I'd change.
I even liked the combat system, as Sein is a spirit, it makes sense that it attacks the way it can, just throwing stuff at enemies.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
I'm playing on the tiny screen of the Switch Lite and loving it. The controls are amazingly tight. The way Ori grips surfaces and edges without sliding off reminds me of the one aspect of Outland that I enjoyed.

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I got a Switch over the weekend so was on the store looking at demos to try out - downloaded this after seeing it being hyped on here and it plays really well. Glad to see that there's achievements and that my progress will be carried forward if I end up getting the full game down the line.

May 24, 2019
Worried to spoil myself by reading the thread because I haven't finished the game yet, but I'm loving it too! I got a Switch for my birthday on the 28th, which was the same day Ori came out for Switch in my region. So beautiful and smooth, and yes as you say OP it controls really well. The traversal options just keep expanding and expanding beyond what I could have hoped for! Hopefully going to finish it off tonight or tomorrow : )

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
It's so damn good. Should be downright illegal for a game to look, sound and play so wonderfully at the same time.

OP
OP
MotiD

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
I just watched some gameplay for the next game and I'm so excited to play it when it comes out!

Thank you thomasmahler for your work and the rest of the studio

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
wanted to play this for eons. downloaded the demo on switch and got bored in record time.

DoubleYou

Oct 26, 2017
What a great game.

Took a bit for me to like it, mainly because I didn't like the button mashing mechanic, but that all starts to make sense eventually. It really builds on itself, and I get why it is the way it is.
The presentation is top notch, and it makes me want to explore every little corner of the map. Looking forward to playing some more tomorrow. :)