• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
Is there water around?

II don't recall the specific route but I do remember going underwater to be a key part of it.
You're going for the tree over the frozen lake right? You can dive in a hole in the ice just before it and that'll reset Kuro's aggro.
Thank you very much, that worked! Though only after I
"baited" Kuro beforehand, otherwise i just didn't make it. Because I definitely recall trying that before and then giving up because it didn't work.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
so, I got to a spot in the skill tree that says I can Dash in midair with LT, but it doesn't work. Do I have to "learn" it first?

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you very much, that worked! Though only after I
"baited" Kuro beforehand, otherwise i just didn't make it. Because I definitely recall trying that before and then giving up because it didn't work.
Well, okay, it worked once. All roughly 20 attempts afterwards looked either like this:

Or like this:

Seriously, wtf am I supposed to do differently?

I found it quite irritating that you can upgrade abilities before having them. Would be nice, if that would be mentioned in the skill tree.

It's more when your attacking with your flame. Things can get a bit cluttered visually and it's hard to see what's going on if there are multiple things coming your way.
I had more trouble with the effects during the escape parts. Somethimes it was hard to keep track of Ori or see what to do next quick enough, with all the shit going on on the screen.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe that helps a bit:

But I'd agree, it's frustrating how quick the owl kills you. They could have given you a little more time, it's all super tight.
I made it, because thankfully, there's really nothing hard after that first part (and it's short as well). Still, to me, it's one of those parts of the game that really aren't fun (and I love challenging games generally).
They are few and far between, but they're definitely there.

Another one was the part where the game went "Hey, remember how this is a fast-paced game where you have different techniques at your disposal to deal with enemies and the environment? Here, have this ball you have to carry so you have neither of these things!"

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I just finished this about an hour ago and it is quite possibly the best Switch game I've played so far, and one of my favorite games of this generation.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

Podcast with Thomas Mahler that covers a whole lot of Ori. Surfaces some new information like the Definitive Edition actually being created from funding for a UWP version of Ori and the Blind Forest. It's well worth a listen!

I just finished this about an hour ago and it is quite possibly the best Switch game I've played so far, and one of my favorite games of this generation.

Awesome to hear!

nelsonqos

Jul 8, 2019
Finished the game and it really grew on me as I went through it. Such a lovely game and a wonderful piece of art. It can certainly be improved upon but this is only a good thing. I expect the sequel to iron out some of the flaws.

Really looking forward to the sequel and fingers crossed it comes over to the Switch at some point.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I really hope that the early death of this thread and the overall lack of activity within it aren't reflections of how the game sold on Switch.
While I get that it's an older game and I do personally believe that bigger and better Metroidvania type games have since appeared on the scene (including on Switch), this game was still quite good even after all these years, and the port so damn accomplished, it deserves to sell really well.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I really hope that the early death of this thread and the overall lack of activity within it aren't reflections of how the game sold on Switch.
While I get that it's an older game and I do personally believe that bigger and better Metroidvania type games have since appeared on the scene (including on Switch), this game was still quite good even after all these years, and the port so damn accomplished, it deserves to sell really well.
I got it on switch, completed it and loved it. It's such a great game, not just quite good. The length of it was perfect for me and its only ÂŁ15 which is a bargain.

It plays like the lovechild of hollow Knight and celeste, if you like either of those then you'll love this.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Just coming back to say I loved the game. I only got that one area that was crazy hard, to me and looking back, I can see why some parts are hard and others get the logic easily. Like, I just saw another person having difficulty but I already had the air dash and the 'logic' of finding hiding spots just made sense to me.

Not to go off on a rant but creating video game logic is such an amazing proposition to me. Having to show you, using all types of things, including focus, music, lighting, etc and some games make it flawless but I assume it takes crazy effort.

But after bitching and moaning earlier from my frustration, I did want to shout about the good things. The exploration, the dlc area that's all dark, the movement, the puzzles. Hell, I'm still laughing at myself because of the rotating spikes/pushing rocks puzzle. I didn't figure out you could walk underneath the rotating spikes, I kept jumping over them and thinking it was a timing pickle. Push as fast as you can even though it shows you where it causes damage as it passes 'thru'the rocks.

Either way, great game. I hope the next comes to switch. Love the video previews.

Dave

Oct 26, 2017
Downloaded on Gamepass and played around an hour. The beginning actually mare me emotional. Beautiful traversal and movement. Verticality feels excellent. Not a fan of the attacks but probably need to rank up to make them feel better. What an experience though. A truly beautiful game.

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
Anyone else who played this on the Switch got an email from Nintendo offering Platinum points for MyNintendo if you fill in a quick survey on this game? Happened to me just now (Europe here). I do wonder why Nintendo would conduct market research for a Microsoft game. Hmmm.

(I started doing the survey but then my internet died and for some reason now that it is back the survey won't load anymore...)

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else who played this on the Switch got an email from Nintendo offering Platinum points for MyNintendo if you fill in a quick survey on this game? Happened to me just now (Europe here). I do wonder why Nintendo would conduct market research for a Microsoft game. Hmmm.

(I started doing the survey but then my internet died and for some reason now that it is back the survey won't load anymore...)

They typically do that for most digital games don't they? Looking back to my email I see one for almost all the "nindies" I've purchased.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I forgot this game came out on the Switch, so I snagged it thanks to this sale! And because I don't pay much attention to my Nintendo points, I was able to get the game for $3, so woot!

I've never played it, so I'm looking forward to diving into it later tonight!

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Just played this for the 3rd time in preparation for Will of the Wisps. It was already one of the best-looking games I've ever played, but holy crap does it look amazing on a 21:9 monitor. Shame the DE doesn't play well with high framerates and/or gsync though.

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished this on the weekend on Switch, was hesitant to get into it as I didn't enjoy Hollow Knight despite its reviews but I LOVED Ori, such an amazing game in every regard.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Just played this for the 3rd time in preparation for Will of the Wisps. It was already one of the best-looking games I've ever played, but holy crap does it look amazing on a 21:9 monitor. Shame the DE doesn't play well with high framerates and/or gsync though.

It really is something special.

InauARf.png

Huge props to Moon for putting in the work so we could get this beauty.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally playing the game before new or I will be available next month

i missed a part in forlorn ruin but since I finished that area I can't walk on these « gravity » wall ... is there any way I can finish that area later ? I would be so sad to not complete it 100%
Amazing game

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Finally playing the game before new or I will be available next month

i missed a part in forlorn ruin but since I finished that area I can't walk on these « gravity » wall ... is there any way I can finish that area later ? I would be so sad to not complete it 100%
Amazing game

You're playing the Definitive Edition right? You should be able to warp back into the ruins from a Spirit Well.

Starphanluke

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 15, 2017
Beat this last night on my Switch. What a sublime experience. Genuinely one of the most beautiful games I've ever played, and the length felt just right. Also was great to play on my Switch Lite.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished my first play through normal 100%. What a game (on switch ) can't wait March for the sequel :)

Jafin

May 26, 2018
Ireland
I downloaded the demo on Switch the week before last and holy crap I was HOOKED within a few minutes. I hopped onto my laptop to see if it was any cheaper on PC (we love a bargain) and saw it was included in Xbox Game Pass for PC, which is...€1 for a three month sub. Snatched it of course and downloaded Ori. I cannot believe I slept on this game for like...five years. I loved it so much I actually feel like I have stolen from the developers by playing through Game Pass. Needless to say I can't wait for the Will of the Wisps next month. On one hand I'm dumbfounded that I didn't play Ori in the past five years, but on the other hand I'm so excited I played it for the first time right before the sequel came out.