• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Yeah except closer to the save spot. I've tried everything
That's super strange... this version was tested thousands of hours and I've never heard of this bug before. If you can't solve it at all, remember that there are backup save states: Just press up on your Save Slot and you can probably just load one shortly before this happened.

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
That's super strange... this version was tested thousands of hours and I've never heard of this bug before. If you can't solve it at all, remember that there are backup save states: Just press up on your Save Slot and you can probably just load one shortly before this happened.

I'll try that. Hopefully there's still one floating around. It's right after the third rotating blade by what looks like a mushroom in the foreground. Just before the save Shrine

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Liking the game a lot. I'm finding the wall jumps and wall climbing mechanic to be a little loose, but other than that I'm having a ton of fun. The atmosphere makes the game so immersive! Its a great game to play in chunks before bed every night.

Apr 19, 2018
And.... beaten on Normal! Yay, I'm currently number six on the Leaderboards. (I'm user Switch8295896605) =D

I know it's been said plenty already (and yet, still not nearly enough), but congrats to thomasmahler , GennadiyKorol , and the rest of Moon Studios for such an amazing port job of an incredible game. When 2019 is said and done, Ori will once again be up there as one of my most memorable gaming experiences of the year.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
So after playing a little bit of the demo, I have to ask: does the combat get any better? The game is gorgeous, but pointing yourself in the right direction and mashing the button whenever there's an enemy nearby is not doing anything for me at all.

VICTORsaurio

Mar 10, 2018
Think I found a bug, right after restoring the element of Wind my screen went black. There's sound but the game doesn't react to any commands (pause, etc).

So after playing a little bit of the demo, I have to ask: does the combat get any better? The game is gorgeous, but pointing yourself in the right direction and mashing the button whenever there's an enemy nearby is not doing anything for me at all.
I had the same problem with the combat and I'd say no. You will get a second attack, some kind of slam down, which felt a bit more satisfying to me compared to the shooting. And you can upgrade them for more impact. But it stays mostly the same.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Holy farts! I just booted up the Demo before going to work (finished Link's Awakening yesterday)

This game already feels and looks fantastic - the art design is on point; instantly got emotionally attached to the characters.
And i really appreciate the Quality-of-Life features the game makes super apparent from the get-go.

As much as i loved Hollow Knight, i really don't mind having some flexibility regarding save points, a more 'traditional' leveling up system, and an actual map.

Also, love the fact that i can turn off achievement notifications. I'm a huge min-maxer and completionist, but seeing as i can and will never 100% this (there's an achievement that would require you to never die or never use ability points) - i'm happy that i can just hide and forget the trophies.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
The Ginso Tree escape? Yeah, that's the first big test of your abilities and something that gives a lot of folk pause; the escapes sequences are basically the boss fights in this game.
Pause? I was ready to quit. You don't get credit for doing well in one section. The water speeds up to reset your progress/how far ahead of it for each section.
If it's any consolation, that is the hardest part of the whole game. I seriously almost gave up on the game (the original version) at that section. I'm glad I didn't and saw it through.
That's good to know. It is good to know.
I'm pretty sure I know which part you're talking about--and I totally agree that the platforming in this section ramps things up to 11--but for the most part I absolutely loved it. I think it was smart having the music not be interrupted after your inevitable death... it kinda made the scenario more of a "Keep going!"-type moment rather than a "git gud"-type one, if that makes any sense. I dunno, maybe I'm just so enamored w/ the game that I'm slowly becoming blinded to any potentially perceived faults lol

Naw, I took a break and came back. Watched a video and got caught at a few parts I should have thrown the enemy and not wait on the projectile.

Then ran to the dlc areas because I was so shook to get any new abilities and fell back in love.

I'll end up loving it.

Quick review after the first dungeon and some of the dlc areas: I'm loving the platforming and the potential for metroidvania experiences. I'm already thinking about the game when I wake up so i know it has its hooks in me and I'll likely play twice thru. But the death counter is fucking with me. I was trying not to see it but I went from < 10 to 50 real quick.

And this is an aside but fuck death counters. Fuck them to hell. I think they give me anxiety and that's a me thing. But games tie too much to avoiding death when it would be better to see that as an option. Hell, I was ready to quit whereas not seeing it may have been less stressful. End rant.

Last edited:

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
And this is an aside but fuck death counters. Fuck them to hell. I think they give me anxiety and that's a me thing. But games tie too much to avoiding death when it would be better to see that as an option. Hell, I was ready to quit whereas not seeing it may have been less stressful. End rant.

Yeah, right now we don't actually have a Death Counter in Will of the Wisps. Rest Assured that dying in Ori has absolutely no negative consequences (cause the game was built around the idea of 'it's okay to die, just try again!'), you can die as many times as you want without ever missing anything :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

That attack stays the same (you can upgrade it though) but the best way to deal with enemies is to use the bash ability you get pretty early in the game. Instead of mashing out an attack you can reflect projectiles or platform off enemies and send them into an environmental hazard. It's a whole lot of fun to use!

Pause? I was ready to quit. You don't get credit for doing well in one section. The water speeds up to reset your progress/how far ahead of it for each section.

In the moment it makes things feel pretty tense in a way I appreciate, but I get how that could be frustrating. It was the second escape sequence that I had trouble with where it took me a good bit to grasp what the game was trying to tell me to do.

Go down against the wind instead of gliding up and trying to dodge the falling rocks.

That moment definitely filled up my death counter on my first playthrough!

Also, love the fact that i can turn off achievement notifications. I'm a huge min-maxer and completionist, but seeing as i can and will never 100% this (there's an achievement that would require you to never die or never use ability points) - i'm happy that i can just hide and forget the trophies.

I still enjoy achievements and trophies but I've grown a bit tired of how the popup can take me out of the moment, especially with short narrative games. Switched it off a couple months ago on my Xbox and it feels great.

I do miss the "you did an odd thing that the dev recognised" moments though.

Apr 19, 2018
Yes, combat isn't The Blind Forest's strongest forte. This is where Easy Mode comes in handy, and I feel there's no shame in choosing it if you want. The game still provides ample challenge since it doesn't impact the puzzle and platforming aspects of the game, save for the escape sequences checkpoints. (And spikes will still kill you near instantly.) But player damage mitigation, plus enemies going down quicker can go a long way towards enjoying the game more. Correct me if I'm wrong too, but I think certain foes no longer attack via collateral/splash damage, which was something of an annoyance with combat.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
So I just got the ground pound in Thornfelt swamp and placed the piece into the map....I see that I probably should leave through the left but I can't ground pound the loose rocks in the shallow water to the immediate left of the map stone and going through the path underneath I also can't get through in a way I'm seeing..... Any hint on what direction I would be looking? Thought maybe I was looking for a post or something to pound..idk

Edit: I knew as soon as I posted it I'd figure out :)

Last edited:

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible this just isn't for me? Even on easy mode I'm dying so much. Two hit kills with full health a few hours in.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I just beat the game. First time playing it. Hard mode. 100% map completion across the board. All spirit wells and map shrines activated. All combat and moment-to-moment gameplay skill/trick achievements unlocked. All story achievements (obviously) gotten. All health/energy/ability orbs acquired. All secrets found (including the MIsty Woods one). DLC stuff done too. Only one ability tree maxed out. And since I'm playing on Hard, upgrade costs become absolutely astronomical. So, because I'm fucking dead-set on getting the three remaining ability tree achievements (skill tree 2 maxed, skill tree 3 maxed, all skill trees maxed), I'm doing something I haven't done since my PSOne days.

I've got the system plugged into the wall, sound muted, rumble turned off, sleep mode disabled, and LR rubber-banded, because I found an enemy that auto-kills itself if I cling to a nearby wall, immediately respawns, and continues to kill itself. Forever. So I'm going to leave my fucking system rubber-banded overnight and hope I'll have gained enough level ups by morning to max out the remaining skill trees. And hope that the game doesn't crash (which has happened twice). Fucking lol.

I'll never go for achievements for the 3 hour clear, the no death clear, or the no ability points spent clear. So I guess I'll be stuck at 54/57 trophies, or however many it is.

Still, not bad for a first run.

Got to say, I enjoyed the game immensely, even though the combat kind of sucks (a lot), and the environmental puzzle-solving was nowhere near the level of something like any semi-modern 2D Metroid, or even Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom. It's interesting playing this in a post-Hollow Knight and a post-Monster Boy world. I can see how this game was SO loved in 2015. There wasn't a whole lot out there doing what this game did.

But since it's come out, I can't help but feel like other games have come along and done those things, and better. Hell, we even got a new (mostly) 2D Metroid since then! But despite the lame combat, I have to love this game. The graphics are lovely, the art's even better, the music is gorgeous, the environments just varied enough to not get boring but cohesive enough to feel like the whole game is contained within and around a single forest in decline.

I connected pretty quickly to Naru and Ori, which says a whole lot about how evocative their designs are, how natural their early interactions, and how well-conceived the opening moments in the game are, despite the minimalist approach to story-telling. Plus, I can't but feel that the game channels a bit of Princess Mononoke. It almost feels like some of the more fantastical elements of that movie were split from the human plot, and spun off into their own game. Only, this is totally original, rather than ripped off.

I'm a fairly emotional guy, and I'll admit that the game got me a few times. Despite the unimpressive combat, the game is a joy to play thanks to the well-conceived abilities, fantastic controls, satisfying platforming, and fairly well-designed locations. Not the biggest fan of some of the auto-scroller escape sequences, but even in Hard mode and without checkpoints, they didn't prove to be too brutal.

I'm very interested in the sequel, and hope that by some miracle, they manage to get it running and released on the Switch at some point down the line. I'd happily take a drop in resolution and model geometry complexity (I understand the sprites are going bye-bye), and even a drop to 30 FPS if that's what it takes to get the sequel on Switch. Metroid: Samus Returns on 3DS ran at 30, and while that was a definite downgrade for a (mostly) 2D Metroid, it was still better than nothing. And I'll be willing to wait for the sales of the XBO and PC versions to plateau before they release a Switch version, if that's what it takes.

I just hope this wasn't a one-off. But if it was, it was a damn good one. Hard to compete with Hollow Knight's value (cheaper and has WAY more content), but at $20, or whatever it cost me, Ori and the Blind Forest on Switch was well worth the cash. I'd highly recommend it, despite my issues with combat and the insane level up requirements in Hard mode.

Apr 19, 2018
Well, I just beat the game. First time playing it. Hard mode. 100% map completion across the board. All spirit wells and map shrines activated. All combat and moment-to-moment gameplay skill/trick achievements unlocked. All story achievements (obviously) gotten. All health/energy/ability orbs acquired. All secrets found (including the MIsty Woods one). DLC stuff done too. Only one ability tree maxed out. And since I'm playing on Hard, upgrade costs become absolutely astronomical.

I'm currently fast-tracking a completion of Hard Mode myself. I'd forgotten how almost unfairly difficult it seems at the beginning, since you're only starting off with the bare minimum Skills and Abilities, and enemies can pretty much one-shot you. Once you've unlocked traversal skills like Dash and Light Burst, the game becomes far more lenient (as lenient as Ori can be at any rate, heh), and you can do a fair amount of powering up quick. I went from only having three Energy and Life Cells each after the first escape sequence to eight and twelve Cells respectively. More than even the odds.

But yeah, you definitely have to be more choosy thanks to the upcharge on upgrade costs. I haven't touched the Combat tree like, AT ALL, but I'm wondering if excessive grinding is even required to unlock all the Abilities by the end? If you found all the orbs, I suppose that would have to be the case. I've already unlocked those Achievements via Normal, so I don't think I'd be hard up enough to try your rubber-band tactic. ;) I certainly understand the compulsion though, so good luck to you!

I'll never go for achievements for the 3 hour clear, the no death clear, or the no ability points spent clear. So I guess I'll be stuck at 54/57 trophies, or however many it is.

Same. I feel I'm familiar with the game enough that I could potentially do an under three hour run, but there's not a chance in hell I'd ever be able to do a no-death or no-ability completion, even on Easy. That's total insanity and I applaud anyone who can do it.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible this just isn't for me? Even on easy mode I'm dying so much. Two hit kills with full health a few hours in.

It's possible, though Ori does start off pretty weak. Once you start picking up skills like bash and give yourself more options for dealing with enemies and traversal you may start to have an easier time with the game.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
The enemies and moving hazards have patterns, so success hinges greatly on your ability to read-and-react. The main exceptions are the sections where you are running from something, in which case, those rely on twitch reflexes and mastery of Ori's abilities (which expand as you play). It's really a wonderful game that is worth your time. It just requires some patience.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently fast-tracking a completion of Hard Mode myself. I'd forgotten how almost unfairly difficult it seems at the beginning, since you're only starting off with the bare minimum Skills and Abilities, and enemies can pretty much one-shot you. Once you've unlocked traversal skills like Dash and Light Burst, the game becomes far more lenient (as lenient as Ori can be at any rate, heh), and you can do a fair amount of powering up quick. I went from only having three Energy and Life Cells each after the first escape sequence to eight and twelve Cells respectively. More than even the odds.

But yeah, you definitely have to be more choosy thanks to the upcharge on upgrade costs. I haven't touched the Combat tree like, AT ALL, but I'm wondering if excessive grinding is even required to unlock all the Abilities by the end? If you found all the orbs, I suppose that would have to be the case. I've already unlocked those Achievements via Normal, so I don't think I'd be hard up enough to try your rubber-band tactic. ;) I certainly understand the compulsion though, so good luck to you!

I have 100% completion on all collectibles, and because of the Hard mode upcharge (which I did NOT know was a thing until last night), I was something like 19 or 20 ability points away from maxing out all trees. I even went out of my way to NOT avoid combat, partially because there are a bunch of combat-related achievements, but mostly because I figured I'd need the XP, and when playing a new game, would rather have too much than too little. I beelined for the tree that grants you underwater breathing, the triple jump, the air dash, and the extra defense, just to maximize traversal abilities (and defense) and minimize backtracking. I probably should have gone for the double XP perk first, but oh well.

Overnight, I gained 7 levels (and used those points to unlock the double XP perk). And throughout the day, I've gotten another 9 or 10. I'm missing 2 more level-ups to finish off the skill threes. By the time it finishes, the game will have been rubber-banded for close to 24 hours. Insane.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it's any consolation, that is the hardest part of the whole game. I seriously almost gave up on the game (the original version) at that section. I'm glad I didn't and saw it through.
I hope the game still have some challenge. Beside that sequence, the game is in the easy side.

Now I'm heading to restore de wind element.

Loving the game so far!

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Rubber-banded Ori finally finished leveling up.
My clear time of 15 hours and change ballooned to 33 hours and change.
Just to finish maxing out the other two skill trees.
I could have done it faster by actively farming.
But it was too tedious, so I busted out the rubber-bands for some totally passive XP farming.
Blargh.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
You know what, I've been thinking that while is very impressive that Microsoft actually brought this game to Switch and allowed MDHR to release Cuphead, it's not that different to what Sony has been doing for a while releasing some of their smaller games on PC like Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Helldivers or Journey under the Playstation Mobile banner, in the sense that they are making games for a platform they seem to consider rival but only the smaller games, not the big ones (Quantic Dream games aside).

Deleted member 21326

User requested account closure.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Loving the game so far, caved in and bought it on the switch. Even though i wanted a physical version. Such a great game, and it runs bytter smooth. Awesome port job!

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
This runs WAY better on the Switch than I thought it would. Damn, I'm actually playing three games at once right now because of Ori. Simply couldn't wait, and 19.99 is the kicker - totally worth it for portable

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
It runs perfectly on Switch. 1080p/60 on TVs, 720p/60 handheld. Both native.
The devs mentioned that it's using exactly the same assets as the XBO version, but has an updated engine and smoother animations for Ori's pre-rendered sprites (60 fps sprites on Switch vs. XBO's 30 fps sprites).
So if you want to get technical about it, it actually looks slightly better on Switch than on XBO.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
It runs perfectly on Switch. 1080p/60 on TVs, 720p/60 handheld. Both native.
The devs mentioned that it's using exactly the same assets as the XBO version, but has an updated engine and smoother animations for Ori's pre-rendered sprites (60 fps sprites on Switch vs. XBO's 30 fps sprites).
So if you want to get technical about it, it actually looks slightly better on Switch than on XBO.
I did a comparison between Switch and Xbox One version of Ori: DE and it is amazing how well the game converted to the Switch.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Man, playing for the first time and I'm heading to the volcano. Amazing game! Almost hollow night level. The upgrades are metroid level of greatness!

Jesse

Oct 28, 2017
I finished the game last night, just under 10 hours.
What a great game, really a joy to play.

I hope that the sequel comes to switch too!

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Playing this for the first time as a big metroidvania fan and... I'm not loving it. Doing the misty forest now.

Controls feel really loose, especially with stuff like wall jumping. As you bounce and fling yourself over the place it often just feels like dumb luck whether you hit a spike or something. Too much physics in place rather than pixel perfect platforming.

Enemies and combat are just plain annoying, the attacks at your disposal aren't very fun to use, and enemies can hit you super quickly and unexpectedly with weird little particle effects that don't even look like a hitbox, not to mention the stuff that seems to just jump out at you and feels like trial and error.

The exploration aspect seems poor, you're constantly railroaded to your next objective marker, and going off the beaten track mostly just gives you exp orbs? You get some health and magic upgrades but there isn't really anything worthwhile. I'd much prefer to lose the objective markers and have to explore for my power ups.

Much prefer something like Hollow Knight where both combat and platforming feel pixel perfect, Ori to me feels style over substance.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
So I've been playing this for a few days now and I'm really enjoying it. It presents a fair bit of challenge which I wasn't expecting.
One question though. I've been using the joycon dpad for movement and ever since I got the bash skill, I feel like i'm missing accuracy and I should be playing with the stick.
What do people use?

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Man, playing for the first time and I'm heading to the volcano. Amazing game! Almost hollow night level. The upgrades are metroid level of greatness!
It's better than HK IMHO because the checkpoint/save system is way, way more user friendly. The aspect of HK where if you die, you have to hunt down and kill your shadow to get all the shit you collected (between stops at benches) back was obnoxious. It was a nasty wart on an otherwise solid game.

And don't get me wrong, I liked HK. I finished it even. But I don't look back on it fondly, as where I had nothing but good memories of Ori after I beat the original release on XB1.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I've finished it this weekend, liked it a lot. Traversal and level design were good, puzzles too. I found the villain to be very interesting, which is something I rarely say about a videogame's story. Didn't mind the Metroid Fusion-like linearity. The things that keep it from being a masterpiece are: bad visual clarity (especially visual obstacles), trial & error parts and the health system. Even the first Metroid understood that killing enemies should give you health, since that encourages you to do it. Here it happens rarely and many times I've found myself with low health and no way to heal. Sure, you can save where you want so you will eventually make it, but I would have preferred classic save system and classic health system.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I finished Link's Awakening on Saturday morning and fired this up immediately after. First time playing and loving the hell out of it. It's stunningly beautiful, and I legit cried during the prologue, which I did not see coming at all.

Even the first Metroid understood that killing enemies should give you health, since that encourages you to do it. Here it happens rarely and many times I've found myself with low health and no way to heal. Sure, you can save where you want so you will eventually make it, but I would have preferred classic save system and classic health system.
I liked the upgrade that you refill health when making a save point. There tends to be more stuff to refill your mana instead of your health in my memory.

nelsonqos

Jul 8, 2019
Making my way through Ori and it is great game. No doubt about that. I'm currently at the first escape/chase route in the tree.

I am finding I'm having a couple of issues though. The movement of Ori often feels a bit too floaty. I would like a tad more weight in the movement just to make my landings feel a bit more precise.

My biggest issue though is the colour scheme in some areas. The game looks amazing but I often find enemies and their projectiles blend into the environment a bit too well. Is anyone else finding this or is it just me? I'm getting some cheap deaths by not realising something is there in the first place.

Soundtrack is amazing and the way the story is told is done really well.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
Finished this last evening and had no idea I was at the last sequence of the game at all, it felt like there was one more area to explore to make it feel healthy and fleshed out. Overall however I enjoyed the game immensely.

Edit: ok I had forgotten about the Burrows area I encountered much earlier in the game, it was too difficult to navigate at that point so I thought I wasn't readily upgraded to explore it and the game would direct me there later on.
There is also a second area that is part of the definitive version that I'm assuming you find going through the Burrows?
I always wondered what "Dash" I was upgrading on the skill tree that I never found going through the main story.

I suppose all of this being so disjointed is my main concern with this edition of the game.

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
everyone loving ori should try hollow knight next if you havent

ori and hollow knight are 2 of my favorite games/new ip this gen

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Finished a few days ago, and really didn't expect the challenge. Love both Ori and Hollow Knight in different ways. Finished in just over 10 hours of play, compared to Hollow Knight what I put down after ten hours and didn't come back to it for several months, and eventually put almost 60 hours into.

I know there are a lot of things I missed, and trying not to look up anything about the game, I was upgrading focused on that triple jump, and was super confused why I didn't have the dash ability to accompany my upgrade tree progress.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I've been wanting to play this game for so long, though I never got around to sitting down with it on PC and haven't bought an Xbox since the original. Bought it on Switch, and just finished it last night with 99% completion. This was an absolute gem of a game, and the challenge was unexpected for me! I'm definitely looking forward to the sequel.

nelsonqos

Jul 8, 2019
I'm with you on that one. Sometimes I also had a feeling, there is a bit of momentum to his movements.
Can't say I had too much trouble with spotting the enemies though.

It's more when your attacking with your flame. Things can get a bit cluttered visually and it's hard to see what's going on if there are multiple things coming your way.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
I'm feeling tremendously stupid right now, but what exactly are you supposed to do when the enemy bird (forgot her name) is lurking in the background? Each time I move I just die, the only thing I am allowed to do is jumping in place or using the attack (which does nothing).