• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
So after making an erroneous annoucement earlier when the game wasn't available, now Nintendo UK's twitter feed haven't mentioned that it is now available.

haxan

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed the demo. Is the demo representative of the full game? Does the game get particularly difficult? I liked the trickier jumping bits in the demo, but I can see that get frustrating for me if they escalate it too much.

Apr 19, 2018
Great OT, Dancrane212!

To those who completed the demo, the game does indeed allow you to start right back up from where the demo ended with all progress in check. It's automatically saved to one of your available save files.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I really enjoyed the demo. Is the demo representative of the full game? Does the game get particularly difficult? I liked the trickier jumping bits in the demo, but I can see that get frustrating for me if they escalate it too much.

There are a few segments of the game where it can get pretty difficult and frustrating. When you complete these segments though you feel like a million bucks.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
*excited*

Downloading as I type... cannot wait to fully dive into this game

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Imo the game never gets frustrating. There are for sure some parts wich are trial and error. But the quick loading really helps with that.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't have time to really play it now, but I was hoping to link it to my old Xbox account.

But it's been so long...

This might be a while, lol.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
There are moments of frustration but you'll mostly blame yourself for either rushing into the situation & missing the obvious solution or pushing yourself to complete a trial too quickly.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
It's the enemies with arching projectile attacks (that don't become inert even after they die) that will irk you far more in the long run. lol

Fantastic game though, and I am glad I double dipped. I didn't get the DE on XB1, only vanilla, so I am excited to experience the improvements and additions.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I've already played this game three times on PC so I won't be getting the Switch version, but I'm glad more people are finally able to play this amazing game.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Denis Dyack was right. What a world.
4wDNNb7.png

Shane M

Avenger
Jan 1, 2018
Thorold, Ontario, Canada
Not yet - succesfully linked Microsoft account and unlocked prologue achievement, but it's not being reflected on Xbox Live right now.
I deleted my save file and relinked my Microsoft account to the new file and it restored my Achievement history. Theorizing we are earning Gamerscore but it's just not visible, will report back if my number grows next time I earn an Achievement.

Edit: Yes! The Gamerscore is collected and the Achievements are saved in the cloud but they can only be viewed on the Switch, unlike the Switch version of Minecraft where the Achievements actually do show on other platforms.

Last edited:

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
I deleted my save file and relinked my Microsoft account to the new file and it restored my Achievement history. Theorizing we are earning Gamerscore but it's just not visible, will report back if my number grows next time I earn an Achievement.

Edit: Yes! The Gamerscore is collected and the Achievements are saved in the cloud but they can only be viewed on the Switch, unlike the Switch version of Minecraft where the Achievements actually do show on other platforms.
I would get an Achievement notification on my phone/PC from the Xbox app.

Apr 19, 2018
Something I never realized until today, despite the fact that I've played the game to completion thrice over: you can cancel your Charge Flame.

I guess I never figured it out since it's kinda awkward reaching the 'A' button to cancel while your thumb is already holding down 'Y'. (On the Xbox controller it was the 'B' and 'X' buttons respectively.)

I could've saved so many needlessly wasted Energy cells from accidentally triggering Charge Flame with this foreknowledge. >_<;

Last edited:

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, the achievement stuff is weird. My overall gamerscore goes up and the achievements are tracked on TrueAchievements. I also would get notifications on my phone and W10 when they pop, though not on my Xbox.

However, it isn't shown on my profile. Minecraft Switch is listed, Windows Phone games, PC games, etc.,...but not Ori Switch.

Maybe one of the devs can comment on if this is intentional or not?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
It really is. I just re-installed it on Steam again for another play through, incredible game. Enjoy it.

Yeah, I'm finally going to start going for the 100% on the Definitive Edition on Xbox, seems a great time to go back to the game!

...especially since there's now another achievement list out there to complete sometime down the road.

Last edited:

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Yeah, the achievement stuff is weird. My overall gamerscore goes up and the achievements are tracked on TrueAchievements. I also would get notifications on my phone and W10 when they pop, though not on my Xbox.

However, it isn't shown on my profile. Minecraft Switch is listed, Windows Phone games, PC games, etc.,...but not Ori Switch.

Maybe one of the devs can comment on if this is intentional or not?

Microsoft is looking into that right now :)

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
It's only based on 4 reviews, and review-worship is still silly, but it's fun to see Ori finally sit in the 90s.

zQmElIN.png

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm pretty sure my GamerScore is going up as I unlock achievements, but I don't see the actual achievements reflected anywhere in m Xbox profile.
Guessing it's an issue on Microsoft's end, and purely visual.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
very much enjoyed the demo. If I don't win the final giftbot giveaway (spoiler, I won't) then I'll be picking up the game tonight.

can you change your difficulty at any point?i have my save file from the demo but I think I started it on normal. Is playing on the harder difficulty worth it?

Apr 19, 2018
Pro-tip: You may want to hold off on investing for the Air Dash early on. Even if you unlock it, it's not an ability you can actually use until you get the normal 'Dash' skill later in the game.

Always felt the game could have been clearer with the requirements for this particular ability: Requires Double Jump, Charge Flame Efficiency and Dash Skill

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
very much enjoyed the demo. If I don't win the final giftbot giveaway (spoiler, I won't) then I'll be picking up the game tonight.

can you change your difficulty at any point?i have my save file from the demo but I think I started it on normal. Is playing on the harder difficulty worth it?

Yes, you can change your difficulty at any time. I'd recommend going with normal just because that was the balance used the first release (difficulty options are new to the Definitive Edition) but go with what you feel best suits you.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Waiting for the EU code giveaway to end before I dive in for the first time. Fired up the demo and the game looks stunning.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, you can change your difficulty at any time. I'd recommend going with normal just because that was the balance used the first release (difficulty options are new to the Definitive Edition) but go with what you feel best suits you.

This is my first time with the game, and I went to Hard from the get-go. Even made sure to delete my demo save and start a new one to make sure.
It's been pretty tough, but it's doable. It's still easier than Hollow Knight, IMO.

Haven't gotten TOO far in the story yet, I think. Only activated one of the elements. But I am, going by the FAQ in the OP, almost done exploring the second of the two new areas added in the DE. There's a room or two I can't get to because I'm presumably missing traversal abilities, but percentage-wise, I'm in the high 90s for these zones.

Game's pretty good so far. I'm not completely blown away yet, but I'm not even close to disappointed either. It's beautiful, it controls great, and it's been a joy to play so far. Looking forward to hopping back onto the critical path soon.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I beat the game on X but holy hell this Switch port is beautiful! The rumble feels better than it did on XB1, so I'm guessing it's HD rumble. Incredible job Moon Studios!! If I don't win any of these giveaways I think I'll have no choice but to buy.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, they confirmed HD Rumble a while back. Month or two, maybe?
It's basically the XBO DE with HD Rumble, a second set of achievements (so folks can double up on their Gamerscore), and smoother animations for Ori (thanks to optimizations in the engine developed for the sequel and implemented in the Switch version of the first game). They stressed that they're using identical assets from the XBO version. Native 1080p @ 60 FPS with no drops or (I believe) dynamic resolution shenanigans. Native 720p/60 handheld, of course.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
When or how does it let you link up to your Xbox account? I didn't see any kind of option pop up at the start.

Edit: nm I see it

Last edited:

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm not usually a fan of these Metroid type of games...but this and Hollow Knight have peaked my curiosity...I might give Ori a try since it's free on Game Pass PC

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Good point, still a shame though for such a superb port.

At least it got some reviews, I've been surprised at some of the games that have fallen through the cracks this month.

Anyways, I went back to the original leaderboard this morning, couldn't recall if it let you see the total players or not (it doesn't), and was reminded of my final run. I think the last time I ever tried to get a solid time in ones of these kind of games was Zero Mission; I love how the achievements in Ori pushed you for that kind of replay.

tXBaF1d.png

Last edited:

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
thomasmahler, just wanted to report two issues I've encountered. One a graphical/audio issue, the other a hard crash. Running on v.1.0.1 of the game, the latest one as of last night.

1) When I finished the Wind/Ice temple and wound up outside the mountain being hunted by Kuro, I immediately (while still in cover) hit Minus to open up the map and the game crashed to the Switch's OS with a message (paraphrased) that indicated that the software had to be closed due to an error. Upon reloading, I found myself on that same screen and was able to pull the map up without issue. I could not repeat this.

2) I want to say this was at the very bottom of the Lost Grove, the second of two new Definitive Edition areas, I believe. There is an underwater segment with a pair of crushing walls and some fishy enemies that eventually leads to an important upgrade of sorts. I think it was an Ability Cell, but I'm not sure. The two crushers emit a sound effect and some particles after colliding. The particle effects for the first crusher appear to be synchronized to the animations of the second. I was actually down there for quite some time farming kills for the Charged Flame achievement and saw this happen again and again. Not even remotely a big deal, but figured I'd mention it. In my game, the first crushers' particle effects were spawning when the crushers were almost completely separated again, instead of when they started opening back up. The second set of crushers was fine, and it appeared to me that the first crushers' and second crushers' particle animations were playing at or very nearly at the same time.

And I know you guys already know that while our Gamescore is going up, achievements (and indeed, this game entirely) are not showing up on our Xbox profiles.