• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
It's quite tricky combining HD rumble with the original rumble so we needed to tweak it for each scenario, but we love it so it was worth the extra steps. We have done a few tweaks to make the original rumble feel better for Switch specifically as well, so hopefully it feels nice when you guys play it :)
Yes, it is a super context-depending feature. You have to analise the different situations and actions in the game and how to implement it there especifically. But with what I have played totally yes, those extra steps have paid off :)

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Excellent use of HD Rumble! At first, I was surprised that there were no HD Rumble in the landing, but it actually made total sense with the lightness of the character.

This and Cuphead are probably the most beautiful 2D games on Switch right now.

In good company with Yoku's Island Express and Steamworld Quest, IMO.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wow this game runs so stunningly well in handheld mode and is gorgeous. I already own it on other platforms but this seems perfect for a portable game.

The game also feels way better on a controller for a left handed gamer than the mouse and keyboard option on pc.

Will be picking it up for sure.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The switch is my best friend first console since the SNES and the first thing he played was the Ori Demo.

I asked if he was going to buy it and he answered " this is like giving me a small crack rock and asking me if I am going to buy more".

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Wow this game runs so stunningly well in handheld mode and is gorgeous. I already own it on other platforms but this seems perfect for a portable game.

The game also feels way better on a controller for a left handed gamer than the mouse and keyboard option on pc.

Will be picking it up for sure.

That's sort of the response we hoped people would have after playing the demo. I hope we can convert a few people who traditionally aren't into platformers or Metroidvanias by them just giving the demo a try - If you like it, awesome, if not, well, at least it was free :)

The switch is my best friend first console since the SNES and the first thing he played was the Ori Demo.

I asked if he was going to buy it and he answered " this is like giving me a small crack rock and asking me if I am going to buy more".

Not sure I'm comfortable with the drug reference, but as long as he has a good time with the game, I'm happy :)

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Yeah, the game runs great. We already own it on Steam digitally + one extra physical PC steelbook copy + the physical Xbox One version.
My partner will definitely buy it again on the Switch digitally and I would buy it too if there would be a physical Switch version, until then, just one more version for now. šŸ˜…

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017
Only played the demo to check out the feel and performance and I turned it off after a few seconds as it ran and looked great and I want to be able to enjoy the full game next week when I pick it up with my new Switch Lite!

Can't wait!

Apr 19, 2018
Everything you do in the demo version should transfer over to the full version, including unlocked achievements with Live or without. They will be granted to the Live account once you log-in, even if you had unlocked them prior.
Despite all the save points, the demo doesn't actually save the game? Weak
The game actually doesn't save for me.
It's not a big deal. Still strange

I'm a little unclear on this myself. Do you actually need to complete the demo for it to count for the carry-over to the full version?

I played just a bit where I acquired the Wall Jump, and did a save. Needed to close the software. Came back later, realized I was unable to re-load my progress, so I started a new game. Am I right to assume that everything before that got erased?

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
The demo feels great with those massive Joy Con that Hori just released.

Technically, I think Ori used 2D sprites based on or rendered from 3D models, so it's closer to a hybrid style. Quite impressive, either way.

That's correct. Blind Forest uses a couple tricks to help hide how the characters pre-rendered, like how Ori is rendered from an orthographic perspective and has motion blur baked into the actual sprite.

Jul 26, 2019
The Netherlands
I am in awe at the beauty on the Switch's screen; just stunning!

As expected, given the developers talks. Awesome, AWESOME job!!

Preordered and preloaded šŸ˜Ž.

It already was a top 10 game (ever) for me, now it will become a yearly routine playthrough, I'm sure..!

Thanks, Moon Studios! ā¤

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, for some reason I never knew this was a Metroid-like. I always thought this game was one of those artsy indie puzzle platformers like Limbo. Well shit, that was great and now I have to pick this up.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I was already planning on buying this, but...it's only $30 Australian dollars?! I thought it would be closer to fifty! What a steal, preloading now. At that price it'll be easier to justify double dipping on a physical version later if it comes.

And such a beautiful port job too, just wow.

Sutton Dagger

Oct 27, 2017
Finally played through and beat this a couple of weeks ago on Gamepass. It was one of the best gaming experiences I've had in years. It'll be amazing as a handheld game too.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I was already planning on buying this, but...it's only $30 Australian dollars?! I thought it would be closer to fifty! What a steal, preloading now. At that price it'll be easier to justify double dipping on a physical version later if it comes.

And such a beautiful port job too, just wow.

It's a great game, but expecting it would be 50ish says something about game pricing on Switch honestly. I suppose Monster Boy was $60, and Hollow Knight $20 so these things can fall all over the map!

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone else notice it's a battery drainer? Worst culprit since Zelda for me. Worth it of course :)

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
Thanks so much for bringing this over to Switch! Just finished the demo, it's stunning, indescribably beautiful. I can't believe something like this exists :)

Just placed my order.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
The demo popped up on top of the news page and had to try it. Super smooth and flowing game, looking forward to next week :)

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Oh shit time to download this! I really want to try both Cuphead and Ori on Switch. Planning to buy both as well.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
The game might be too small for me on the Lite screen. Also, didn't like that it taught me how to save and then ignored the save that I created.

Ishka

May 1, 2019
I know this game gets rave reviews - but this was even better than I could have expected.

Finished the demo and immediately pre-ordered. Will my progress carry over to the full game?

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
This looks soooooo beautiful on the Switch screen! Amazing work, Moon Studios!

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Can one of the devs comment on the controls please? On my Lite the the game won't respond at all to diagonals on the dpad. It just jumps straight up. Is the game programmed to only recognize up,down,left, right? I'm assuming that's what is going on. Otherwise my dpad is screwed out of the box.

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, it will! :)

It contains the entire beginning with the prologue, etc. up until the point where you reach the Spirit Tree.

We did the demo for a few reasons: First of all, we wanted the naysayers to see that it runs at a buttery smooth 60fps and it plays incredibly well on the Switch. Secondly, we saw a few people who weren't interested in platformers who then tried BlindForest and got hooked. So we always regretted not having a demo on the Xbox and on Steam, cause there's a lot of people who aren't into platformers, but who still got a huge kick out of Blind Forest once they tried it. So now everyone has an easy, free way of trying it :)

The demo launches at 9am PST / 6pm CEST today (Friday)! :)
I was always interested in the game. Great atmosphere, amazing music and beautiful visuals.
Beating the demo only confirmed my purchase.

I wanted to know tho, is there any chance you guys will release a physical version of the game?
I'm definitely interested but I'd love to have it physical rather than digital.

vhm74

Oct 30, 2017
I ran the demo and stopped just after a few minutes, then uninstalled it.
I'm going to wait for a retail announcement, if not, I'll buy it digital on day 1.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
We thought folks will enjoy getting the achievements again on Switch so you get a new set of achievements for the Switch version with Live.
That's quite the enticement for someone who might double-dip at some point when it's economical for me to do so. We're maybe a niche of a niche, but anecdotally, XBL Achievements are meaningful to my SO and she hasn't yet played our Xbox copies of Ori. It will be satisfying for her to experience Ori for first time on Switch with XBL Achievements intact.

I'm already excited about Will of the Wisps being a Play Anywhere title (and maybe public xCloud will be a thing by its release too), with cross-save there. Hypothetically, if y'all continued to utilize XBL even further on whatever future multiplatform projects, I would love to take advantage of XBL cross-saves on Switch too. But you've got my appreciation and support already for what you're accomplishing right now with the release of Ori and the Blind Forest on Switch!

Jaime.GGG

Oct 27, 2017
What a beauty, such a great port!
20190921-105131-01.jpg

ladyluthien

Oct 25, 2017
Just started playing some of the demo, and past the little prologue. Broke my heart. I wasn't planning on crying! Super beautiful game, I just want to stop and stare at everything. I love the movement, it feels very fluid and I'm impressed with how it looks on the switch.
Definitely a Day 1 purchase for me.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Excellent demo, was not expecting that intro at all. Though saving doesn't work, which is odd, it says right there that it's saving.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Dammit... I played the demo and it sold me on buying the game again. I already own the original version which I finished on Xbox One. This port is just too good, and I had forgotten how beautiful and charming the game is. It will be nice to play through it again and enjoy some of the DE improvements.

Amazing work thomasmahler and company. Looking forward to next week!

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Saving doesn't work. Is this intentional of a bug? I don't want to play the demo if it turns out there is a bug and not getting the demo save for the full game.