• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I might skip the second actually. I had high hopes for Ori 1 after I heard so many good things about it and it's one of my favorite genres. When I finally got a Xbox One it was the first game I got, but I was left very disappointed. I thought it was a poor excuse for a Metroidvania if you can even call it that. Not a bad game at all, but not what I was looking for at all. If the game manages to be more of a Metroidvania I might be interested though.

Oct 26, 2017
I so badly want to play this. Definitely think it will be a september or maybe august game with a beautiful new trailer at E3.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. As much as I enjoyed Ori 1, it had so much room for improvement.

Isn't the AM2R guy working at Moon Studios now? That guy clearly knows a lot about making good metroidvanias.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
A better story.

Ori had fantastic gameplay and art but the story ended up having no real theme or intent in terms of its narrative.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
I think he's working on their secret second project which has been in development since beginning of last year.

Nope, Milton has been working on Will of the Wisps from the day he joined :) We also have Chris in our team, who's been doing a lot of the level design in the recent Rayman games. Talent-wise, the Moon team is pretty bananas now :D

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Very much looking forward. I still need to finish Ori 1, but I really loved what I have played of it. Think I was 70-ish% done on my save when I last played, which was maybe over a year ago.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Nope, Milton has been working on Will of the Wisps from the day he joined :) We also have Chris in our team, who's been doing a lot of the level design in the recent Rayman games. Talent-wise, the Moon team is pretty bananas now :D
Ah thanks for the clarification, and I feel privileged that you responded to my post. Ori is one of my favourite games of all time for so many reasons. It's a masterpiece. I really can't wait for WotW.

BDGAME

Oct 27, 2017
BrasĂ­lia
The first game is very good with some mechanics very cool, but it is too short and end too abruptly.

So, yes, that sequel has everything to became better than the first one.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Yes and yes.

One of the best moments of being at E3 2017 was getting to watch Gareth Coker introduce the Will of the Wisps live. Seeing that piano rotate into view, recognising Gareth, being confused at the introductory notes (could this be something new?) and then have the track transition into the Ori music was a wild 30 seconds. I loved it.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
The first one is #9 on my GOAT list, so yeah I'm looking forward to the sequel. I think with better combat it could easily surpass the first.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I hope so! But I doubt it tbh, Ori 1 is still the best game on Xbox as far as I'm concerned but I don't think it got many GOTY awards at all.

But oh wow that game. They pulled on all my most emotional strings, I'm a parent and I've lost both my parents, lots of stuff to relate to, and no doubt, they made me cry. I still get emotional just by a quick look at this trailer. Such a marvelous game, from start to finish.

#3 best game of all time, with BOTW at #1 and Super Metroid at #2 just sliiiightly ahead of Ori.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Do we know anything about the story already? I mean we have maybe a little idea based on trailers but not much more?

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
It's also great to see MS continue to get behind the series in a big way. Will of the Wisps was game #2 at their press conference this year if I remember right, following Halo Infinite.

They've even been pilling on the promotional pins for the game too.
iTNMWHG.jpg

Do we know anything about the story already? I mean we have maybe a little idea based on trailers but not much more?

No. They've been keeping all that extremely close to the vest aside from the trailers and filenames of art/screenshots.

Deleted member 46922

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
I just hope that the devs realise that much of the success came from an emotional investment right from the start of the first game.
I love the gameplay, but I think that was what made it so popular.

Games are just like movies and music in that regard, you want to care.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I just hope that the devs realise that much of the success came from an emotional investment right from the start of the first game.

Dont think that will be a issue looking at the trailers.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria

I'm more worried that you folks will care too much... take that for what it's worth :) I'm happy with where we headed with the story, just make sure you'll play until the very, very end this time around.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Wow. My backlog is so insane Ori is basically on my "games that released pretty recently and I'm sure gonna get to them soon" part of it lol

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
I believe Will of the Wisps can easily surpass the first game if it's built right.

thomasmahler even made a thread on the old forum just for general feedback for improvements we were hoping/expecting after coming from Ori and the Blind Forest. I quietly await the resolution in game form!

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
I'm more worried that you folks will care too much... take that for what it's worth :) I'm happy with where we headed with the story, just make sure you'll play until the very, very end this time around.

I finished the first one and the definitiv edition over seven times.
I still play it till this very day whenever I feel down etc. It makes me happy.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I just finished the first game at the weekend, having played it in fits and spurts over the past couple of years. IT was so impressive, that I immediately started the Definitive Edition afterwards and played through about 50% of it just yesterday. The visuals and music and overall presentation are sublime, and the controls are so good and so fluid that it's a joy just to move around.

By far the biggest problem though, is the difficulty of the chase sequences. They are simply not balanced at all, and a real source of frustration. I mean Christ! The game actually tells you how many times you died and respawned during the playthrough and in 12 hours of overall play I died 874 times. Now, I'm not completely shit at videogames, but that's ridiculous. I know that you respawn instantly, but that number blew my mind. I died over 150 times on the last chase in the lava with the bird alone. Fucking ridiculous. I must've died 300+ times on the Ginzo tree.

The window of failure during the chase sequences is literally less than 1 second. It's fucking nuts! I get what they were going for with the whole 'by the skin of your teeth' style of escape. But c'mon! Jesus, I was going fucking nuts playing the game and they'd better fix it in the sequel.
For me the game became 'save scum the game'. Before I proceeded anywhere I would soul link, the constant dieing and having to retread really got old fast.

Rabbit

Feb 24, 2018
It's currently my most anticipated game for the year. The first one left me awestruck in the end and this one looks to be even better by the footage we've seen so far. I can't wait!

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
emotional investment right from the start of the first game.
Still surprised more people do not see this as erring on the "forced" side of things. We barely know anything about these characters at the start of the game (nor do we end up learning much in the end). Can't feel emotionally invested by events if I don't care at all about the characters.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
First was my favorite game this gen. Zero chance the next one isn't even better.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
It's also great to see MS continue to get behind the series in a big way. Will of the Wisps was game #2 at their press conference this year if I remember right, following Halo Infinite.

They've even been pilling on the promotional pins for the game too.
iTNMWHG.jpg

No. They've been keeping all that extremely close to the vest aside from the trailers and filenames of art/screenshots.

Wait, I thought Ori had hooves, or did they change that?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I'm definitely looking forward to it. It's like the only game I will gladly buy on the Windows Store, with no hesitation.

4K/120fps will be a beautiful experience.