• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Already played through the whole thing (and bought the physical version, and bought a mug, and bought a canvas print) but this'll be a great way to replay it before the sequel comes out. Plus, it's a 1:1 portable copy that doesn't require a laptop.

My wife and I adore this game; it's one of my games of the generation so far.

I'm so ready. Day one.

Uncleslappy

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Xbox has the Definitive Edition too, it just includes some new areas, difficulty levels and abilities. Also a fast travel system.
Funny story, actually. I bought the definitive edition on disc, which contained both the original and definitive edition. I had made about 50% progress through the game and sat down for another session and was greeted with a "New Game" only option. No saves available.

Brief panic. Restart. Same problem.

After a long freak out, I realized I had booted up the original version of the game and not the definitive edition. The saves exist separately. Keep this in mind if the Switch version is the same.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
God that trailer made me feel all those feelings again I originally got while playing Ori. Am I really going to re-purchase this?

(yeah, probably)

L1xV00u.gif

e8sFiHf.gif

E6U2r0E.gif

Fpvj15U.gif

kTYVY1L.gif

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Great game. Don't skip on it folks.

Probably the best Xbox Game Studios franchise atm.

AuroraMusisAmica

One Winged Slayer
Aug 16, 2018
Boy I'd buy Rare Replay in a heartbeat. It would be a great announcement alongside Banjo-Kazooie in Smash.

That Microsoft is one of Nintendo's most supportive 3rd party partners in 2019 is all sorts of weird and wonderful.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Finally get to play this!!

Ori and Forza are the two gems I feel I missed out on this gen, glad I get to play Ori now, hopefully this trend continues and even makes it easy to PS consoles. I'd pay for GP on my Ps for example. Like moves like this🤙🏾

Colocho

Oct 25, 2017
I've been excited about this game for so long and now it's coming at the worst time possible D: I'm gonna get it when I finish Dragon Quest, I'll decide between this and Zelda

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
September. Really? Lol!!!! What a month for videogames.

Oct 25, 2017
I've never played this but my issue with this game has always been how much happens on screen at once, and how zoomed out it can get. It seems like it'll be hard to keep track of your platforming at times, is that the case?

Either way I'm getting it but I'm curious if that's been an issue for anyone.

There was one bit in the first Ginso Tree section where I missed a jump a couple of times because of stuff happening on screen and that was literally the only time that happened for me during the entire game.

I don't usually play Metroidvanias but I managed to finish Ori because it's so damn good.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
We've been optimizing our engine for a good, long time. Our Tech folks have also been to the Unity offices in the past a bunch. And our Tech folks are supremely talented. Trust me, it feels awesome to play Ori on Switch, no stuttering, no hitches, everything's just butter and the art looks super sharp on the handheld - and in docked mode, obviously :)

Sounds fantastic! BTW, the work that your people did together with the Unity team, is that something that will benefit all 2D Unity developers in the future? Or was this specific to the Ori port?

Apr 9, 2019
Looks and sounds awesome, but I couldn't really get into Hollow Knight which seems similar gameplay-wise so I doubt if this is for me. Anyone got thoughts on that? How labyrinthine a Metroidvania is this?

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
I like this timeline
game is gorgeous. for those who've played, is it hard to tell what's going on sometimes because of all the visual chaos?

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Looks and sounds awesome, but I couldn't really get into Hollow Knight which seems similar gameplay-wise so I doubt if this is for me. Anyone got thoughts on that? How labyrinthine a Metroidvania is this?

Ori is more linear than Hollow Knight. You typically know where you need to go at all times; you just need to find the specific route to get there.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
The entire Nintendo Direct stream had a low or unstable frame rate. Every game on their stream looked bad. Not sure why some people think Ori itself had bad performance.

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
Xbox hardcore fanbase probably loosing their minds on social media as we speak, i hope this route MS is taking pays off for them, a game like Ori just feels like it belongs on Switch tbh though

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I appreciate the masteful craft of Hollow Knight, but Ori was so much more enjoyable to me. The game flows incredibly well, it has a vast open world but it's still easy to navigate, and all the powerups are super satisfying. It's also not as punishing, but it's still challenging in its own way.

And the music is just incredible.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Switch game studios lol

Eh. Something about this game never really clicked with me. Gorgeous art but I dunno.

Played a bit of it on XB1 and it didn't really blow me away or anything.

Maybe I'll get it, maybe I won't.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And the best part is: NO COMPROMISES!

By now our Moonity Engine is super optimized. 1080p@60fps in docked mode, 720p@60fps in handheld mode. Enjoy buttery smooth Ori that looks exactly like it does on PC / Xbox on your Switch :)

Congrats. Can't wait to play it again. You're the best!

And also screw all the concern trolls like that Phazo guy or whatever.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Don't own an Xbox, but obviously Microsoft has a ton of great exclusives--but the one title I've desired above all others has always been Ori. And now to be able play that title--buttery smooth--with no compromises whatsoever?

give it to me. Easiest Day 1 since Smash.

More details about development and performance

GennadiyKorol

Lead Engineer at Moon Studios
Verified
Aug 19, 2019
I don't post here often but wanted to chime in on the performance concerns based on the stream / trailer captures: This port has been a personal passion project of ours at Moon and we take performance of our games very seriously. We would never release a 30fps game or a choppy broken experience. It took 2000+ builds of the game, man years of optimization, crazy proprietary engine changes and lots of automation to make sure that it's absolutely top notch, and we loved every second of it.

To us Ori on Switch is like a dream come true. I will never forget the feeling when I got to play the Ginso Tree Escape at 60fps on my lap for the first time :)

We couldn't be more excited right now and I personally can't wait for you all to get your hands on it!

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
No, the solo trailer.

At 45 seconds, 48, it drops hard, on other scenes too.

From what I can tell, going through frame-by-frame, that seems to be a trailer editing snafu. The trailer is cutting between 60fps and 30fps footage at various points, but we never actually see the frame rate change mid-scene. 60fps scenes are always a perfect 60fps with no drops. 30fps scenes are always a perfect 30fps with no spikes or frame pacing issues. That would be odd behaviour for an unstable framerate in a game, suggesting that it's video-encoding related instead.

Last edited:

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017

They aren't similar.

Hollow Knight is much more about combat and non-linear exploration, the map is huge and it has enough content to last you 30-40h.

Ori is much more focused on platforming with the combat feeling more like a afterthought. You can also 100% the game in 10-12h.

If you like platforming Ori is a no brainer, it's really good.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I don't post here often but wanted to chime in on the performance concerns based on the stream / trailer captures: This port has been a personal passion project of ours at Moon and we take performance of our games very seriously. We would never release a 30fps game or a choppy broken experience. It took 2000+ builds of the game, man years of optimization, crazy proprietary engine changes and lots of automation to make sure that it's absolutely top notch, and we loved every second of it.

To us Ori on Switch is like a dream come true. I will never forget the feeling when I got to play the Ginso Tree Escape at 60fps on my lap for the first time :)

We couldn't be more excited right now and I personally can't wait for you all to get your hands on it!
It's absolutely crazy that you guys managed to pump out a performance on par with XB1 on the Switch, awesome work!

Your game is one of the highlights of XBOX exclusives, it's always enticed me into getting an XB1 but I never could justify it since no other exclusives were of much interest to me (well, except Forza). I'm really glad I get to play Ori now!

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man I can't wait for this. My PC has issues so I wasn't able to enjoy it to its fullest.
So because people were happy and excited for a great game and expressed that by drawing fan art that means they thought they had ''ownership'' over the character? I'm sorry but that's just a bizarre line of thought.
You know what line of thought it is lol.