• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Cuphead took the wind out of that shock.

For what it's worth, Cuphead's not really a Microsoft game, it's owned by StudioMDHR, whereas Ori actually is legimately an Xbox IP.

Granted, MS did have their fingerprints in Cuphead considering they funded it, and it is telling that we haven't seen any hint of a PS4 port.

Zassimick

Nov 6, 2017
This is a game worth replaying. I'll be very tempted to pick it up, especially if there aren't any real compromises to it visually.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Even if my comments are sceptical, don't think I'm not a gigantic fan of this game.

I was in contact with the shop who brought this thing to Germany for a whole year because it got delayed and delayed and delayed and delayed. This shit was exhausting. 😅

7EXW4aT.jpg

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Incredible. Seeing "Xbox Game Studios" on that trailer sure was something. I am definitely getting this.

Nov 3, 2017
I'm sending some major love to Moon Studios and Xbox Game Studios for making this happen! Can't wait to replay this masterpiece!

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We've been optimizing our engine for a good, long time. Our Tech folks have also been to the Unity offices in the past a bunch. And our Tech folks are supremely talented. Trust me, it feels awesome to play Ori on Switch, no stuttering, no hitches, everything's just butter and the art looks super sharp on the handheld - and in docked mode, obviously :)
Any chance of an Apple Arcade release with 4K and HDR?

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like I'm finally playing Ori

I've had it on PC for years but it being on switch is far more interesting to me lol

chase beck

Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Jesus wow amazing. Never played the rerelease but it's been enough time that I'm ready to dive back in and can't wait to see what's new.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Would you say this game is easier than Hollow Knight? I have dropped HK a few hours in because the map design was super confusing as everything looked the same for me and I kept dying over and over again. Is Ori better in that regard?

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite games of the gen. If you have a Switch and haven't played it...it's worth it.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Would you say this game is easier than Hollow Knight? I have dropped HK a few hours in because the map design was super confusing as everything looked the same for me and I kept dying over and over again. Is Ori better in that regard?
Much better in that regard. Ori is perfectly balanced.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I think I may have to double dip then. Started a save file on PC, but only made it 20%.

I'm pretty far in Hollow Knight and loved that game, so naturally I want to play from the same genre.

My only hesitation is that Ori looks absolutely stunning in a way that can mainly be captured when you're playing on a good display. My issue is that for most games, the Switch display looks washed out.

Games on my PC montior, Galaxy S10, iPad Pro, and TCL TV look superior and I want to experience Ori that way. Maybe I just have to go docked mode for this then? (but would defeat the purpose)

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Yes I see that. But why? Is that a screen cap from the Nindies stream? I haven't watched it yet, but obviously know about Ori thanks to this thread.

Really pleased for Thomas and co at the Ori team that more people will get sucked in to the world of Ori and enjoy their masterpiece.

That screencap was from the end of the stream. Mario's face is from the annotation on the video, and the Xbox Game Studios logo was from the end of the trailer cause they're the publisher.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I've never played this but my issue with this game has always been how much happens on screen at once, and how zoomed out it can get. It seems like it'll be hard to keep track of your platforming at times, is that the case?

Either way I'm getting it but I'm curious if that's been an issue for anyone.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
What exactly makes it "definitive" compared to other versions?

Keep in mind the Definitive edition contains additional content over the original release. The Definitive re-release also came out on Steam and XBO as well.

There is no reason for the non-definitive updated 2015 be released in the case considering the original release had areas after exploring them you could be locked out and unable to revisit, lesser difficulty options, and less areas to explore.

StarErik

Oct 27, 2017
Banjo in Smash, and Ori on Switch. I love the new partnership between Microsoft and Nintendo. Who knows what the next thing will be? (Please be achievements.)

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
I've never played this but my issue with this game has always been how much happens on screen at once, and how zoomed out it can get. It seems like it'll be hard to keep track of your platforming at times, is that the case?

Either way I'm getting it but I'm curious if that's been an issue for anyone.
Not at all. Very easy to keep track of platforming and movement.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
System: Nintendo Switch
Publisher: Xbox Game Studios

Plus Cuphead, Minecraft, Super Lucky Tales + Banjo-Kazooie in Smash. This whole partnership is pretty surreal.

Heard so many good things about this game that I'm willing to give it a go.

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome! I've been holding out on playing it in hope it'll some day make it to the Switch!

Can't wait!

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Yes. It is much better in that way. I too couldn't get into Hollow Knight. After about 10 hours, I gave up because I was still putting QOL map stuff together. I absolutely love Ori, tho. And there is an easy mode.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Banjo in Smash, and Ori on Switch. I love the new partnership between Microsoft and Nintendo. Who knows what the next thing will be? (Please be achievements.)

I don't think this partnership will go as deep as most hope. I think Nintendo is fine with MS releasing games on the Switch as it only adds value to their platform. I highly doubt Nintendo will entrench it's entire system in Xbox Live nor does Nintendo have any incentive to release their games on Xbox. It's always going to be pretty one-sided IMO.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see Ori in Smash. Maybe you guys can help convince Nintendo ;)

I know you mean convince them by buying the game but the way you phrased that looks like you're implying we all are personally in touch with Nintendo and can convince them over lunch or something. Which I found funny.

Master Chief Collection has been rumored for a while.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Clearly some rabid demand for a physical as per twitter etc , be very weird to not release one considering the other ms stuff has all been promised or is getting one.

Would be a let down for fans
I'm also waiting for a physical release before jumping in, so hopefully Moon Studios & Microsoft can make it happen at some point in the near future..

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Great news!

thomasmahler How does it feel to release Ori on the Switch?
Amazing, we've received sooooooo many mails ever since the Switch released to put it on there, so it was really cool when we brought this up with Microsoft that they actually were open to it instead of just saying straight up no, which is what I kinda would've expected. So Kudos to Phil and crew who allowed us to please Nintendo and Ori fans this way :)

On a personal note, I grew up as a huge Nintendo fan (Like most of us), so it's just really satisfying to finally play a game Moon made on a Nintendo platform. We put in a ton of extra effort to make it run super nicely. The game looks really sweet on the handheld and we launch like a week or so after the Switch Lite releases, so I hope a lot of Switch Lite players will get to play Ori on the go.