• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Organic vs mechanical

• Organic

Votes: 474 44.8%
  • Mechanical

Votes: 585 55.2%

• Total voters

Xenocthul

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't hate the idea of organic web shooters but I definitely prefer the mechanical ones.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Good lord no.
Organic are just another hack continued from the Raimi's school of disinformation.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Organic havn't ever and will never be better than mechanical. "People being smart makes me mad" isn't really a good enough reason to sway me to the 'organic' side.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Every so often someone will make this point, but this is a legendary bad argument. Intelligence feats are dumb? Bruh Pete's Web shooters don't even make a Top 20 list of the most ridiculous inventions in the MU.

Just making Peter a "kinda smart" kid is dull. Leave him and his Web shooters alone.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I thought the formula for the shooters were something he discerned after getting bit? Like the spider passed over some intuitive knowledge about them. Is that right?

I think that was kind of a retcon that lead into The Other, where he gets organic shooters for a while. Around the time the movie came out. He also got arm-sword talons that made you forget the movie existed for a while because they were so badass.

The Other lead into the Spider-verse stories.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_inline_p1brmcd9Dk1rr08jv_500.jpg

I agree.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
"oops ran out of fluid" is a shitty writing tool

how often does Hawkeye run out of arrows

it's stupidly arbitrary

Oct 31, 2017
Organic web shooters were born out of some movie guy thinking comic books are dumb, so yeah; they absolutely suck and don't respect the artistry of those who created the damn iconic character those filmmakers were lucky to be able to adapt.

I do hate despondent yet hyper capable characters like Typoid Mary in Iron Fist but that's not Peter Parker. Mechanical web-shooters were never broken as a Spider-Man concept and there has never been a good reason to change them besides some filmmakers wanting to save time

Blargonaut

Oct 26, 2017
I 100% agree with OP. First thing you think of when you hear the word "spider" is "web".

Frankly, "Spiderman" isn't a spider-man unless one of the man's superpowers is the natural ability to web like a spider.

Mechanical webshooters are shit

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
It's absolutely true, and I say that as someone who grew up with the comics.

Besides, how selfish is Peter if he invents a material that would be of immense benefit for humanity and then keeps it all to himself in order to use it to swing around the city with? That's borderline narcissistic. Also, the revenue from the patent would make him economically independent, allowing him to focus on saving people full time instead of having to worry about his income.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
Honestly, the main reason I don't like mechanical is because I'm always worried about them running out.

A poll would be a useful addition to this thread...

Blargonaut

Oct 26, 2017
MCU Marvel I demand you have another super-spider bite Spiderman so he can be a real organic Spiderman.

Oct 31, 2017
I 100% agree with OP. First thing you think of when you hear the word "spider" is "web".

Frankly, "Spiderman" isn't a spider-man unless one of the man's superpowers is the natural ability to web like a spider.

Mechanical webshooters are shit

What kinda arbitrary revisionist shit is this? He's Spider-Man because he sticks to walls and he's ALWAYS been Spider-Man without natural web powers. No one is ever questioned it until the 2002 film

Besides, how selfish is Peter if he invents a material that would be of immense benefit for humanity and then keeps it all to himself in order to use it to swing around the city with? That's borderline narcissistic. Also, the revenue from the patent would make him economically independent, allowing him to focus on saving people full time instead of having to worry about his income.

He has a secret identity to maintain and it's hard to cash checks in a mask

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Complaining about "intelligence feats" as you call them is pretty goofy considering it's no more fantastical than say, a person being bitten by a radioactive spider and gaining super strength. Peter is a scientist. You're trying to apply real world logic to one section of comics while ignoring the rest, that's not how it works.

Jon_Sama

Aug 19, 2018

Yeah exactly, he doesn't do anything with his invention beyond being spiderman, and he's supposed to be a genius? lol

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Mechanical is a lot harder to "explain away" because artificial spider silk is so difficult to make but also has such high utility that anyone who could make it consistently (like parker does) should be a billionaire several times over.

Parker's webbing generally dissolves in an hour or two (there was an old plotline that used this reasoning to handwave away why Parker couldn't sell it), but this has been shown to be a strategic decision on his part. Otto easily reformulated it to last substantially longer and there may be a "permanent" variant.

That bit of insanity aside, mechanical shooters are more useful overall. In addition to not having to break the laws of physics and biology by using one's own human bodily fluids to make all that webbing, mechanical shooters allow for reformulating the webbing so suit a wide variety of uses. In addition to Otto drastically increasing the strength and longevity, he also made a variant that works on the body of stilt man that had typically been coated with something that prevented Parker's webs from sticking.

Parker as CEO was using electro-webbing, concrete webbing, and a bunch of other ones.

Mechanical over organic for that reason, but the "why arent you a bazillionare" problem is somewhat hard to explain away.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
The Raimi films focused more on Peter as a person than his scientific ability. He was never really a scientist so the Web shooters would have been absurd.

I prefer the webs because I prefer him having powers rather than mechanical gear. He's just a really strong guy who can stick to walls with web shooters. Whereas organic webs make his powers a lot mroe spider-ish. It differentiates him more.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I agree broadly speaking that making Peter a genius level intellect is a bad idea. I'd say it even runs contrary to the spirit of the character. The whole point of Spider-Man is that he's a thoroughly flawed dude who can barely keep his life together... who just also happens to be able to crawl up walls.

That said, what I always come back to with organic webbing is that in reality he'd be out of juice after swinging like 10 blocks. Any given issue of a comic or sequence from a movie sees him producing well in excess of his own body mass in web fluid. It's an issue that's easier to hand-wave away with some vague materials science explanation than with a physiological one IMO.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
What kinda arbitrary revisionist shit is this? He's Spider-Man because he sticks to walls and he's ALWAYS been Spider-Man without natural web powers. No one is ever questioned it until the 2002 film

He has a secret identity to maintain and it's hard to cash checks in a mask

I'm not suggesting he should file the parent as Spiderman.

Blargonaut

Oct 26, 2017
What kinda arbitrary revisionist shit is this? He's Spider-Man because he sticks to walls and he's ALWAYS been Spider-Man without natural web powers. No one is ever questioned it until the fucks 2000s films.
If sticking to walls is the defining metric here then he should've been Geckoman or Antman because that's what those things do. I don't go, "Oh, spiders? Yeah those are those things that stick to walls." I go, "Oh, spiders? They spin webs, right?" Why isn't he just called Wallman then?

Current MCU Spiderman isn't a real Spiderman.

Games

Oct 27, 2017
Peter Parker generates a lot of the ingredients for his web fluid internally, he just doesn't like publicly displaying the process of extracting it and thus chooses to do it in private, never talking about it. He then stores it in small canisters along with a mixture of other ingredients to enable his mechanical web shooters to handle the fluid without clogging. Does this appease both groups of insufferable dorks?

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Good lord no.
Organic are just another hack continued from the Raimi's school of disinformation.

Organic shooters were created for the Spiderman 2099 run which predates Raimis movie by about a decade.

Marvel had also switched to semi organic shooters for the "black suit" in the 1980s after Secret Wars, before retconning that suit to be Venom.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Miss me with all that. Impact webbing invalidates all that bullshit

Thatonedice1

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working on that also.
Complaining about "intelligence feats" as you call them is pretty goofy considering it's no more fantastical than say, a person being bitten by a radioactive spider and gaining super strength. Peter is a scientist. You're trying to apply real world logic to one section of comics while ignoring the rest, that's not how it works.

Seriously you want to say "intelligence feats are dumb" and then argue Peter should have organic webs but want to ignore that they would come out his butt in real life. We are all being nitpicky as fuck right now and none of these arguments hold water really under the use of logic. I prefer mechanical shooters because it's what's Spider-Man has always used and it's something I like about the character. I know the Raimi movies were good but they weren't so good to rewrite the whole history of Spider-Man for some people.

Feb 4, 2018
I don't know if it was one of the cartoons, or the earlier movies, or what, but I vaguely remember at least one iteration of Spider-Man combines both. Organic production of web in his wrists, but then Peter invents a bracelet thing to help him focus/aim it for the purposes of web-swinging.

I like that version best. Peter gets to be smart/resourceful, but also still has his most iconic superpower actually be a real superpower.
I like this, gives him the best of both worlds.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Where's his other six arms and legs too? Defining spider characteristics = more than four limbs. If getting bit by an irradiated spider should cause him to grow entirely new organs in his wrists to shoot webs, then fuck it, it should cause new arms to sprout out too.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Getting bitten by a genetically modified spider and developing a superpowered manifestation of its traits is unlikely. Being an incredibly rare genius level intellect and then experiencing an incredibly rare, possibly singularly unique, event is something that asks the audience for an even greater suspension of disbelief. There's nothing inherently contradictory about preferring stories with lower buy-in thresholds.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
The Unabomber made it into Harvard at 16 and Spider-Man didn't.

I'm just saying.

That's an intelligence feat or lack of imo.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hell yea! Can you really call a guy Spiderman if his powers DONT include shooting web, and has to bootleg it himself? More like Discountspiderman.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I agree broadly speaking that making Peter a genius level intellect is a bad idea. I'd say it even runs contrary to the spirit of the character.

That aspect of Peter is as important as the super powered part of him. I just don't think they should have taken it as far as to let him invent the web fluid. Him being an immensley gifted student who never really fulfills his potential because he has to juggle his two identities and their respective problems is key to the character.

hephaestus

Oct 28, 2017
I always thought peter just milked himself at night, stored the fluid in containers then mixed them with "science" before loading into
mechanical shooters to spray people.

Nesotenso

Oct 26, 2017
People who think Organic > Mechanical most likely hold Tobey/Raimi man as their definitive Spidey. Minds must have been blown when they played the PS4 game.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Where's his other six arms and legs too? Defining spider characteristics = more than four limbs. If getting bit by an irradiated spider should cause him to grow entirely new organs in his wrists to shoot webs, then fuck it, it should cause new arms to sprout out too.

This happened decades ago. Peter at one point absolutely did have six arms.

Peter tried drinking a formula to get rid of his powers, but it increased them instead.

Thatonedice1

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working on that also.
Getting bitten by a genetically modified spider and developing a superpowered manifestation of its traits is unlikely. Being an incredibly rare genius level intellect and then experiencing an incredibly rare, possibly singularly unique, event is something that asks the audience for an even greater suspension of disbelief. There's nothing inherently contradictory about preferring stories with lower buy-in thresholds.

Tony Stark has literally made a armour to fight Gods. Peter making pee shooters that spit out webs isn't shit compared to everyone else in the Marvel Universe.

Firaga

Oct 29, 2017
He would be a billionaire if he invented that material. Yet he uses it for swinging around town.

Oct 26, 2017
Organic - You never run out of webbing.

Mechanical - help display Peter's intelligence, allows for varied web attacks and webbing(laced with different chemicals for different tasks). Also adds an element of tension when Peter runs out when the battle goes on long or he's caught unawares.

Mechanical all the way.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
The Unabomber made it into Harvard at 16 and Spider-Man didn't.

I'm just saying.

That's an intelligence feat or lack of imo.
I don't imagine the Unabomber would have done too well in school if he was ducking out of class to lead a secret life blowing shit up. Pete's got a lot on his plate.
This happened decades ago. Peter at one point absolutely did have six arms.

Peter tried drinking a formula to get rid of his powers, but it increased them instead.
Yeah, he's had them at brief points in his history but he wasn't saddled with them upon waking up the next day after being bit.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
Tony Stark has literally made a armour to fight Gods. Peter making pee shooters that spit out webs isn't shit compared to everyone else in the Marvel Universe.

Tony's suit in Infinity War is super dumb

But at least he has billions upon billions of dollars and thousands of engineers to help him do this.

And Tony needed a massive buff to survive that movie and this was the only buff that would make sense.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
People who think Organic > Mechanical most likely hold Tobey/Raimi man as their definitive Spidey. Minds must have been blown when they played the PS4 game.

Naw. I grew up with the seventies and eighties comic book version of Spiderman. I still think the organic webshooters make more sense.

Blargonaut

Oct 26, 2017
Spiderman should be 100% organic and his genius should've been displayed through him experimenting with what he has, inventing his own solution towards strengthening his organic webbing into something that he can actually do his signature super-acrobatics and fight crime with.

Like over time of his origin, he deduces what bit him, isolates it like a scientist would and then chemically concocts a formula in nothing but his school chemistry lab that enhances the bite's effect on him, proving his smarts and making him truly super and unique beyond just being bitten into a Spiderperson, which could've happened to anyone.

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Team mechanical. It does far more for Peter's character and if you have webshooters you can do more than just swing around the city by your ass.